New update "Terrors Below" now available in Beta on Steam

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

My question is would you become fine with the concept so long as they add various new types of weapon, armor, and tool options using the new system?

I see the versioning as absolutely pointless.  I think they did a great job over the years adding interesting side-grades that maintained a decent balance ceiling while adding new options.  Some options could use more attention to bring out their charm, and I'd really rather Klei focused on that before versioning gear and homogenizing character choices.

This is especially a concern because we already had really good endgame things, and this just steps on all their toes in a bad way b/c these new items aren't creative, they're the most basic high school D&D style of "more numbers is better"

• Like 2

Ok, i've seen everything I think. 

I'm not overly concerned for my base to be honest - I see why people are concerned though. I guess it's pretty jarring with the way cave bases are generally designed, it'd be hard at points to get to a clear area when the boulders fall. 

Otherwise though, I think it's ok, It might be that I didn't notice but do Maxwells duelists receive any buff from the armour/hand slot items? The main reason I don't really use Brightshade gear is cause it offers no buff to the duelists. 

Love the design of the Umbrella, can't wait to use them as pikes or gateposts in my bases :D

13 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I know one of the devs of UM team already replied and you, Shosuko, corrected youself, but I just wanted to say that Uncompromising Mode changed a lot from state in 2020. After seeing previous beta I was disappointed and bored to an extent that I decided to see what is new in UM, especially since some showcase videos popped up on youtube. And I was pleasantly surprised, I'm glad I gave it 2nd chance after discarding it in 2020.

Yeah tbh I never played UM, I just remember how annoying they were in every single thread for a while and really it isn't the actual UM team that keeps doing this now its ppl like Mike who talk about how the game is labeled an "uncompromising survival game" and how that means it should have constant jump-scare autodeath and destruction just for the lulz

It really feels like Klei is trying to follow in some footsteps but themselves have lost some of their creative spark here...  I do like things about this update like the combat pattern of BS plants, its interesting and fun.  The new scythe harvesting mechanic has literally been on my wishlist for DST since the pickaxe scythe skin dropped.  I like the visuals of animated armor, and the option to have armor that can obfuscate the character more.  I don't like how it feels very forced, like you literally will NEED to use this stuff going forward which I feel is antithetical to DST where we have so many skins and different itemization options already... and ultimately just the fact that the end game loop is basically hound waves, summer smolder, and disease all at once and on crack when those are literally the worst parts of the game.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 6
  • Sanity 2
  • Shopcat 1

Something else I'm worried about is that this will be another case of Ocean-itis, which is to say that the best way to deal with the new content's challenges will be to simply not engage with it in the first place. 

Yeah, there are a couple nice things that you might be able to get out of it. The scythe is; admittedly; pretty cool. As are a couple other things. But ultimately it looks like another case of "Why even bother". Especially with Acid Rain. Sure, you can get some free nitre out of it. But the only benefit the shadow umbrella has is protecting you from the stuff. So why bother with it when you can just not have acid rain at all? Not to mention the fact that you need to go out of your way to trigger both forms of rift, which means you can just ignore them entirely. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

II see the versioning as absolutely pointless.  I think they did a great job over the years adding interesting side-grades that maintained a decent balance ceiling while adding new options.  Some options could use more attention to bring out their charm, and I'd really rather Klei focused on that before versioning gear and homogenizing character choices.

This is especially a concern because we already had really good endgame things, and this just steps on all their toes in a bad way b/c these new items aren't creative, they're the most basic high school D&D style of "more numbers is better"

Personally I kind of just see these as the new base variants that will be built on in newer updates such as the brightshade sword being the new spear and the armor being the new log suit with more unique interactions coming in the future but this is just me guessing as I don't know the future. Wouldn't say no to some of the more lackluster items getting tweaks though.

14 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

I know one of the devs of UM team already replied

Not a dev, just a guy who's active on the discord too much. 

6 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

It's not even that. It's the equivalent of two seven-year-olds trying to one-up each other with their imaginary friends by giving them increasingly more convoluted equipment in powers.

"Hah! My buddy has a glass sword that chops yours in half!"

"Oh yeah? Well my friend has armor that gives it resistance your glass sword! And any other weapon you have!"

"Oh yeah? Well now mine has a sword that can bypass the armor on your guy!"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Not a dev, just a guy who's active on the discord too much. 

It's not even that. It's the equivalent of two seven-year-olds trying to one-up each other with their imaginary friends by giving them increasingly more convoluted equipment in powers.

"Hah! My buddy has a glass sword that chops yours in half!"

"Oh yeah? Well my friend has armor that gives it resistance your glass sword! And any other weapon you have!"

"Oh yeah? Well now mine has a sword that can bypass the armor on your guy!"

The first thing that came to mind was monster hunter’s apex monsters, which also had a built in damage reduction, although the nightmare fuel to pure horror upgrade started that line of comparison.

38 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Sidenote: I’m quite shocked a lot of people don’t like the compendium. I honestly think it’s a really cool/fun addition, and I’m going to have fun trying to get all the entries in my world. I like the idea of an ingame guide, and I’m sure tweaks can make it less obstructive (even if I don’t personally think it’s that bad in the first place)

I don't think it's a bad idea, I do think it's poorly executed.

The sprites in the grid layout are mostly (if not all) low res. This is more of an issue for the creatures and giants than the items, but it's still not pleasant to look at.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.89c4c9f55f6684359908462525e88d03.png

You also have things like this, where the item isn't even in the box. Maybe this is exclusively a bug with the bio scanalyzer, but I wouldn't be surprised if more items suffered from this.

The little popup in the top left corner also gets annoying real quick, especially due to how the book automatically adds creatures whenever youre near them, instead of when you examine them, or more ideally, when you kill them. It really should be a craftable item like the cookbook/gardeneer hats. One thing I do like about the scrapbook is that you can actually click on the items underneath the main item (e.g pure horror on void robe) and it will take you to that item's entry page.

Edited by Baark0
  • Like 8

... So the scrapbook is basicly wiki but in-game? I was hoping Klei would put some effort and add some addition lore to items and especially mobs, some sort of "opinion of experts (Maxwell, Wickerbottom, Wortox and Wanda)", or hand drawn pictures of mobs from survivors (Maxwell does have a steady arm, if im not mistaken)

Kinda dissapointing, basicly cntrl c + cntrl v of a dst wiki at this point...

• Like 6

Well. On the bright side I could just not kill AFW or CC. Not like I do anyway. Tend to get bored by the time I unlock the ability to fight them. Not really interested in this update. Maybe it'll improve in the future but a lot of people dislike the ocean as it is now so idk if we will repeat history here.

19 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Well. On the bright side I could just not kill AFW or CC. Not like I do anyway. Tend to get bored by the time I unlock the ability to fight them. Not really interested in this update. Maybe it'll improve in the future but a lot of people dislike the ocean as it is now so idk if we will repeat history here.

Not even that. You can still kill them, just don't give Wagstaff or Charlie the items they need to spawn the rifts. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Like the BS stuff you do need to fulfil an extra step after defeating the bosses, so you could still do AFW and CC for their own drops (bone armor / helm, enlightened crown) without triggering the extra content.

BUT

I don't like that we have content where the game is just more fun without it...  Any time a new content drops and a key feature is that you can completely avoid it, I feel its a mark that the content needs to be rethought.  I don't dislike the idea of these rifts, and taking the end game loop up a notch BUT these are sorta all the worst parts of wildfires, disease, and hound attacks all balled into one ON TOP of everything else with like, almost no reward for getting there...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Psychic Chicken said:

Just wondering, but is it possible for boulders to fall on and destroy structures with earthquakes now?

Yes it does. So once you're in your base when the earthquake starts, there's little you can do to avoid it being destroyed.

• Like 1

First impressions are:

There's some cool stuff here. It does feels a little underwhelming, because it is very similar to last update in concept (althought that was to be expected i guess). I am not usually not much of a late-game player, so personally, i'd rather see some additions to existing biomes to spice up the exploration and player options during early / middle game. But on paper, I like what we got. I hope there will be some interesting emergent gameplay once the last update comes too.

• Like 1

I like the new rifts being less permanently invasive, though I wish the brightshades would be the same. Could they please wilt away after a while. maybe every new moon or something?

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1