New update "Terrors Below" now available in Beta on Steam

Based on the current info so far, even though I did enjoy the previous lunar rift updates, I feel like the difficulty on this one was scaled waaaayy to high. compared to lunar rifts, the shadow ones slow you down and damage you, though i think a torch mitigates the damage so should be fine. The enemies are more difficult, but still i would say in the realm of decent challenge. What I'm worried about are the environmental obstacles, specifically the acid rain and boulder quakes. People been complaining about the brightshades destroying their bases even though that wasnt true as they do not dmg structures, and you just have to kill them to get your base back.. but these boulders seem to have zero counterplay. It wouldve been fine if it's like antlion where you get a good warning time to run out of your base before the rocks drop. As for the acid rain, having the new umbrella on the hand slot seems like a bad idea, specially since you will need a lightsource in the caves, plus it means you cant fight when it's raining. Furthermore, the umrella wouldve been fine if you only need to craft once per player.. but seems it's not repairable? if not through sewing kit, at least make it repairable by nightmare fuel? the armors and weapon are as I expected so no issues there. The weapon's harvesting feature is neat, I like it. 

• Like 7
  • Potato Cup 1

15 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

Make the scrapbook notification less annoying / remove the sound from it, other than that keep it as is.

It could also be it plays once like the gift notification and until it's cleared it can't play again does it already do this? I don't hear new notifications 

Edited by gamehun20

Really enjoying what i've seen so far in the update, animations are clean, new items look awesome and have some unique interaction, the new mini bosses are adorable horrible and i love that they have the same style as the Herald from Hamlet, the scrapbook is a thing i really look forward to complete entirely even if i know the in's and out's of the game i love such a feature (i'll be like a little Darwin exploring the world rediscovering everything), nitre farms and there's probably alot more that i haven't seen yet

This is obviously a beta and i'm not to worried that Klei will tweak certain things and adjust others. I'm really suprised of how many people are not satisfied with all of this so far though. You'll tell me it doesn't take the brain of a genius to know the destructive nature of cave boulders on earthquake, or that the new items may be irrelevant and i'd say adapt and try it out for longer period of time. The beta hasn't even been out for a whole day that people are trying to put their copy of the game in a bondfire (it's a metaphor). I know some will want to contradict me though and feel free to do so, you guys are entitle to your opinions. I'm just baffled that such opinions were made so quickly on the new content.

I have a question that i'll be testing on my side, but if someone has the answer it would be really appreciated: Does the new dreadstone wall prevent surrounding plants to get infested with brightshade? That would be super cool if it did to be honest.
EDIT: after testing the walls don't seem to prevent brightshade infestation.

Otherwise keep up the good work klei looking forward to what's to come!

Edited by Warlockadamm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 2
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 2
  • Potato Cup 1

I have a question about acid rain. How is anything besides depth worms supposed to get wet after Fuelweaver? I am a little concerned about this as one of Warly's main mechanics relies on the enemy being wet. If acid rain doesn't get anything wet, then how are we supposed to use Volt Goat Chaud-Froid to its fullest potential?

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

11 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Yes it does. So once you're in your base when the earthquake starts, there's little you can do to avoid it being destroyed.

It would be nice if you could build support beams and pillars in the cave to prevent destructive boulders from falling down in certain sections.

Spoiler

Mine Support Products - Mining Technology

Wooden support beams, Wieliczka Salt Mine - Stock Image - C007/1084 -  Science Photo Library

• Like 14
  • Big Ups 1

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean let’s just be honest here, if this was NOT an update that adds to a game you’ve already bought and been playing, and was instead a CORE feature that existed from the day of purchase in a new “DS 2” Would you or anyone else for that matter really be complaining about it?

Yes.

I’m still complaining about hound waves. Hound waves are so 2013 DS.

That said… I feel sorry for Klei, had destructive rifts been part of DS 2 as a core new gameplay feature (see above Blood Plague/Gas comparison) very few people would actually be complaining about it.

You have no proof.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nikki Darks said:

I like shadows, I like caves, I like shadows going rampant in the caves.

Compared to the absolutely, atrocious and God awful lunar side of this update, this one has actually useful items and interactive mechanics lol.

Also, the best of all, we got to see MOTHER appear in game. <3

someone hasnt cleared the ruins with brightshade smashers yet

• Haha 2
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

Tbf, to anyone saying that this is the beta and not to jump to conclusions...

As pointed out by some users, this is the SECOND half of already existing content (that's meant to mirror the first half) so we know more or less what to expect. And some content/mechanic having to be outright removed in the first half because it's so intrusive is not a good precedent.

And while numbers can be tweaked, mechanics are less likely to be so easily removed.  

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 7

The content which have been added so far looks really great. It makes the caves and ruins more interesting and less empty.

It would be great to add a full set of dreadstone and shadow tools (axe, pickaxe, shovel, pitchfork) and weapons (sword, staff, bomb) like it has been done with brightshade.

I will repeat what I had suggested for the last updage, but it would be gread to add the brithshade axe and pitchfork, and all missing moon glass/stone tools. So in the end we could have full two tiers weapons and tools set with shadow and dreadstone at one side, and moon glass/stone and britshade at the other side. 

Edited by Hypsellis
  • Like 1
  • Health 1

1 hour ago, Hypsellis said:

The content which have been added so far looks really great. It makes the caves and ruins more interesting and less empty.

It would be great to add a full set of dreadstone and shadow tools (axe, pickaxe, shovel, pitchfork) and weapons (sword, staff, bomb) like it has been done with brightshade.

I will repeat what I had suggested for the last updage, but it would be gread to add the brithshade axe and pitchfork, and all missing moon glass/stone tools. So in the end we could have full two tiers weapons and tools set with shadow and dreadstone at one side, and moon glass/stone and britshade at the other side. 

It would be also great if acid rain grew salt crystals on ponds.

id prefer if they added new unique items instead of what are essentially reskins of older items. the brightshades tools excelled in this, aside from the shoevel, sword, and brightshade body armor (not the helm). if klei were to add dreadstone tools, the only one i'd want to see would be a shovel/axe combination, although i'd prefer if the shoevel was changed to be a shovel/axe since the item is kinda pointless as it currently stands

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

So just to make sure I got this right..

The last update (lunar rifts) could do nasty damage to megabases. Klei said this wasn't meant to be the case and updated the game to make them far less damaging. There were also other pretty controversial/questionable things going on like planar damage or defense being added and an overall unsatisfying gameplay loop - doing the new content for the sake of it with new items only being useful for the new content. 

Klei definitely said the damage to megabasing and non renewable resources was not intended and updated the game to minimize this right..? That's definitely 100% fact yeah?

So now this new beta (shadow rifts now) has changed things so that every time there is an earthquake in the caves boulders fall... Like Antlions mechanic. Unlike Antlions boulders though these ones fall without prior warning or a real chance to move away from structures so basically bases in the caves just get utterly demolished by non stop boulders falling during every earthquake?

This is after them literally saying that the last update shouldn't have been so damaging to bases/megabases and that whole aspect was unintentional......? What?

Then there's this acid rain thing that does damage over time, destroys head armor and rain gear within moments and can only be combatted with a single item that takes up your hand slot. No fighting, mining/chopping resources, no nothing that requires hand slot while there's acid rain going. It's server wide too so I assume it can obviously start or be active while: clearing ruins, fighting fw, fighting AG, fighting daywalker, fighting toadstool, trying to run from or fight shadow monkeys etc. 

This update sounds like absolute garbage..... it's seriously looking like it might be time for me to move on from this game permanently. I'm not trying to be some edgy "I'm gonna quit!!!" Guy but I'm just not sure this game is for me any more or that I want to just watch my 10k + world slowly get destroyed over time by these one at a time anti-basing/megabasing mechanics that keep getting added. 

Edited by GelatinousCube
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 3
  • GL Happy 1

13 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Then there's this acid rain thing that does damage over time, destroys head armor and rain gear within moments and can only be combatted with a single item that takes up your hand slot. No fighting, mining/chopping resources, no nothing that requires hand slot while there's acid rain going. It's server wide too so I assume it can obviously start or be active while: clearing ruins, fighting fw, fighting AG, fighting daywalker, fighting toadstool, trying to run from or fight shadow monkeys etc. 

This update sounds like absolute garbage..... it's seriously looking like it might be time for me to move on from this game permanently. I'm not trying to be some edgy "I'm gonna quit!!!" Guy but I'm just not sure this game is for me any more or that I want to just watch my 10k + world slowly get destroyed over time by these one at a time anti-basing/megabasing mechanics that keep getting added. 

Aggression is bad. It looks like you're just angry out of the blue

Edited by Creatorofswamps
  • Health 1
  • Shopcat 1

11 hours ago, Creatorofswamps said:

Aggression is bad. Did you know that the new armor protects from acid rain ? And the fact that the umbrella will recover its usefulness from this rain. It looks like you're just angry out of the blue

What aggression? You mean my opinion..?

I've seen comments saying that but I'm krampus sack gang like 99% of the time so I won't use that option.

Out of the blue? I'm merely giving my take on the beta. The game is (and has been for a while) moving in a direction I'm not personally that happy or impressed with and given the latest updates it may be time for me to move on if this continues. 

Being rude is also bad.

Edited by GelatinousCube
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shopcat 2
  • Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Being rude is also bad.

It's rude to call the works of developers garbage. Even if they don't match your worldview, they have invested a huge amount of work and effort , even if you don't like it, you need to show at least a little respect

• Like 13
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 2

8 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Klei definitely said the damage to megabasing and non renewable resources was not intended and updated the game to minimize this right..? That's definitely 100% fact yeah?

Ye the portal spawning in and on mega base structures was not something they had in mind

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

Say, does anyone even remember that portal in the archive at this point?

Yeah it's a good marker for where the activator is not

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm if the armor set gives acid rain protection? If this is the case then I'm good with the acid rain, as my only concern was fighting/mining/chopping while raining, as you can't have the umbrella while doing those.

Now the only issue I see are the boulders. I see some saying "brightshades are still destroying bases to this day, that's the kind of endgame Klei wants", which is very untrue. Brightshades do not destroy any structure or crops. They're just like hound waves that like to stay in your base. Once they are destroyed, you have access to everything you built, and there are many ways to destroy them/ control their spawn. The boulders on the other hand, destroy structures and there's literally zero things you can do about it. They're just there. Isn't that close to what disease was before? A system that is meant to hinder you, but there is no way to protect yourself from it. If it was at least like antlion's quakes where you have ample time to position yourself in an empty area before the rocks fall, that would've been fine. 

• Like 4