New update "Terrors Below" now available in Beta on Steam

• Developer

Come and join the beta to try out the next update in the From Beyond arc, "Terror Below".

Deep in the caves, Dark Miasma will spew from Shadow rifts opened by defeating the Ancient Fuelweaver or by server settings.
New shadow thralls will emerge from the Miasma bringing new materials to craft new “Horrible” tools and gear.
Also, get your fingers into some Scrapbooking.

Notes for Modders
This update’s mod release ID is R29_SHADOW_RIFT

View full update

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 2
  • Spool 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • GL Happy 6

Welp, Hate to say it, but-

Somehow, first impressions are somehow worse than the last update. Which y'know? is both sad and kinda impressive. 

The scythe's neat, I like the ramping damage mechanic, though I don't understand why it's tied to armor. But it still has Planar Damage and Planar damage still sucks. Also there's the reap ability, which is neat, but it's extremely annoying how the stuff falls onto the ground instead of going directly into your inventory. Genuinely, what's the point of that.

Furthermore, I'm honestly kind of insulted that the only thing you get other than weapon and armor that you get from this is an umbrella. Seriously, the infinite power of the abyss, and all we get is an umbrella? Yeah, I know it's going to help with Acid Rain, whatever that is. But it still just feels kind of pathetic. 

And where's everything else? yeah, not finished or whatever. But the Lunar Rift came also had the bombs, the Shoevel, and the staff. Why no shadow stave? 

Oh wait there's one more thing that was added. Dreadstone Walls!

I refuse to comment. 

Sigh. Sorry that came out a bit harsh. But after everything that happened the last update, I've been a bit on-edge to see if this one would quell my concerns or validate them. And sadly, it's starting to lean towards "Validate".

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I don't like the new pick sounds either. Sorry about that. 

Edited by Theukon-dos
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1
  • Shopcat 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Deep in the caves, Dark Miasma will spew from Shadow rifts opened by defeating the Ancient Fuelweaver

So, I was right in my head.

Defeating Ancient Fuelweaver - Charlie side, Defeating Lunar Champion - Wagstaf Dont starve side.

I wonder if there wont be any consequences if one sides with both sides.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Hopefully shadow tools don't follow the same trend as moon tools...

Then "Horrible" would certainly be one way to describe them... 

They don't. Why? Because there are no moon tools to begin with : ' }

• Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

24 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Welp, Hate to say it, but-

Somehow, first impressions are somehow worse than the last update. Which y'know? is both sad and kinda impressive. 

The scythe's neat, I like the ramping damage mechanic, though I don't understand why it's tied to armor. But it still has Planar Damage and Planar damage still sucks. Also there's the reap ability, which is neat, but it's extremely annoying how the stuff falls onto the ground instead of going directly into your inventory. Genuinely, what's the point of that.

Furthermore, I'm honestly kind of insulted that the only thing you get other than weapon and armor that you get from this is an umbrella. Seriously, the infinite power of the abyss, and all we get is an umbrella? Yeah, I know it's going to help with Acid Rain, whatever that is. But it still just feels kind of pathetic. 

And where's everything else? yeah, not finished or whatever. But the Lunar Rift came also had the bombs, the Shoevel, and the staff. Why no shadow stave? 

Oh wait there's one more thing that was added. Dreadstone Walls!

I refuse to comment. 

Sigh. Sorry that came out a bit harsh. But after everything that happened the last update, I've been a bit on-edge to see if this one would quell my concerns or validate them. And sadly, it's starting to lean towards "Validate".

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I don't like the new pick sounds either. Sorry about that. 

I'm sorry acid rain? 

(I haven't played the beta)

• Health 1