[Beta Update - PT II] Quality of Life Beta Available Now!

Whilst this is in beta, can you pleas also add the animation canceling to combat that is already in DST? currently if you're holding F and the animation cycle starts over you're locked in place until it finishes which makes it hard to not get hit. Ty for this huge update!

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Scrumch said:

using the Skyworthy past day 60 is a guaranteed death

Ehhh, not exactly. I do agree that it should be changed, but it's not really that hard if you go prepared. I'm able to make it to the clock pretty easily with this:

• 20x Meatballs
  • 40x Honey Poultice
  • 20x Cooked Green Cap
  • 5x Thulecite Suit
  • 5x Thulecite Crown
  • 1x Miner Hat
  • 20x Fireflies
  • 40x Gunpowder
  • 2x Gold Machete
  • 1x Cutlass/Nightsword
  • 1x Particulate Purifier (For the gas jungle)

It's probably doable with less, but I tend to play a bit on the safer side.

Edited by SpoonyBardIV

Oh my gosh these are all so so good :wilson_drool:

I do have one thing I really hope gets amended: the lack of smoldering in SW and HAM. Other mechanics that originated in DSTRoG, such as wetness, overheating, and other expanded survival mechanics, were obviously carried over to the other DLCs, so why not that one? If anything, with SW and HAM's more hostile weather conditions(and the arsonist tendencies of the Royal Guards) paired with the more extensive base building practically necessitates some mechanic to make quelling a fire easier to manage. I know "easier" kinda goes against the whole "uncompromising" thing, but the rate of fire spread in vanilla, SW, and HAM is just downright unfair and frustrating, especially when there's already a solution in RoG. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I personally would find playing Don't Starve's DLCs much more enjoyable if hours of hard work weren't in danger of going up in smoke in .5 seconds with me not being able to do anything about it.

yes i will keep posting this in every DSAlone QoL y'all post until it's addressed one way or another

Only other thing I'd ever ask for is HD versions of the turfs and HAM interior flooring(including caves and ruins of course). Because of... reasons. :wilson_sneaky:

PS: I know its way out of the scope of these QoL updates, but is there any chance of HAM getting a Home Sea Home style update sometime in the future? Some aspects of that DLC just seem kinda... unfinished?Y'know, things Vampire bats dropping "Pigskin?", Ro Bin not having any sorts of transformations like his contemporaries, or not really getting the

Edited by TrashLord
i did a dumb lol
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TrashLord said:

Other mechanics that originated in DST, such as wetness, overheating, and other expanded survival mechanics

Those were around before DST. RoG introduced those, and DST on-release was basically just multiplayer RoG.

26 minutes ago, minespatch said:

that one skin mod years ago before Klei shut it down.

The one that adds item skins, character skins and the wardrobe? It's still there, I've been using it for years. I have links to the steam workshop pages for them in my reddit post from a few days ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Those were around before DST. RoG introduced those, and DST on-release was basically just multiplayer RoG.

The one that adds item skins, character skins and the wardrobe? It's still there, I've been using it for years. I have links to the steam workshop pages for them in my reddit post from a few days ago.

aw jeez my bad; i was reading the DST roadmap when writing this and must've gotten my wires crossed

Rest in peace some beloved bugs that the community had been using for well over half a decade, so long that they might as well have been full on features. Two bugs that were some of the biggest reasons some people primarily played DS instead of DST... Let's all give a moment of silence for our fallen friends:

The Pinecone Bug.

Fire Farms.

You will be dearly missed. I'm lucky that I didn't miss the deadline, and made a new GOG account, and bought myself a copy of DS (and DLC) that won't update, before it was too late. If you're a Steam user, it's already too late.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, KCDA said:

Rest in peace some beloved bugs that the community had been using for well over half a decade, so long that they might as well have been full on features. Two bugs that were some of the biggest reasons some people primarily played DS instead of DST... Let's all give a moment of silence for our fallen friends:

The Pinecone Bug.

Fire Farms.

You will be dearly missed. I'm lucky that I didn't miss the deadline, and made a new GOG account, and bought myself a copy of DS (and DLC) that won't update, before it was too late. If you're a Steam user, it's already too late.

Fire farms are still there. See @DiogoW's reply to this bug report.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Fire farms are still there.

Ah one survived, without me even noticing. Too bad it was the less useful one. Thanks for telling me of that. Either way, I'm safe with my GOG version.

1 hour ago, dzzydzzy said:

Whilst this is in beta, can you pleas also add the animation canceling to combat that is already in DST? currently if you're holding F and the animation cycle starts over you're locked in place until it finishes which makes it hard to not get hit.

This please!

The combat feels so much slower in DS b/c of this, especially against nightmares!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

This please!

The combat feels so much slower in DS b/c of this, especially against nightmares!

Meh, DST has animation canceling but DS also has armor stacking. In my eyes DS is faster since you don't really need to dodge with a helmet+chest piece on :p

• Like 1

If combat is made fluid like DST's (ability to cancel attacks & whatnot) and adds a way to access one's DST skins inventory, I would go back to DS in a jiffy. Still, is great KLei keeps updating single-player even now with nice QoL content. Ty!

• Like 2

This is legitimately incredible. I really thank you so much Klei for not forgetting about single player. This game has seen me through high school to my current PhD program so single player has had a special place in my heart. I am definitely going to start playing it again soon.

My only wish is that wormwood catching fire on camp fires be toned down or completely removed like it is in dst. Sure, kiting a completely still camp fire is funny but it becomes annoying quite fast. It also doesn't really add anything to wormwood...

• Like 7

Man, Im so glad the og Don't Starve is finally getting the attention it deserves.

Choosing mods for individual saves like how server mods work in dst would be a godsend. Sometimes you want multiple saves with different mod combinations you know.

• Like 5

• Sewing Kits can now be purchased in the Sow's Ear Hat Shop.

We should change the recipe of sewing kit from hound teeth in hamlet worlds to platapine quills.Perhaps have the recipe dropped from smashing pot or bought from tinkering shop.

Edited by ansuman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, OLIMON said:

Please! Add Beefalo Bells so we can be able to take our fuzzy boy into caves or even through worlds! Leave them alone in the surfice always was very sad..

Maybe traveling through worlds is too much I think, but pls! All I need in Singleplayer DS is be able to go to caves with my tamed Beefalo, please! :wilson_drool:

I'd love to see beefalo bells in singleplayer, but I want to mention that there already are ways to bring them into the caves and through the teleportato:

To bring them through the teleportato, activate it and then quickly mount your beefalo before the hands grab you. You and the beefalo will both go invisible (since there's no animation for being grabbed by shadow hands while mounted) and you'll still be mounted when you arrive in the new world. You'll also be placed in the void, and will need to run around for a bit until you find the ocean and then the island. The barrier between the ocean and the island is one-way, so you can just go through it; you won't be trapped on the ocean.

I'd like to see this bug turned into a feature with an animation for the hands grabbing the beefalo and the spawning in the void being fixed.

To bring them into the caves, blow a beefalo horn before entering. This also works with wormholes. There's a timer on their ability to follow you through sinkholes/wormholes and you can bring them through multiple times with one use if you do it quickly. Blowing the horn adds 20-21 seconds to the timer, and the timer has a max of 30 seconds.

3 hours ago, TrashLord said:

I do have one thing I really hope gets amended: the lack of smoldering in SW and HAM. Other mechanics that originated in DSTRoG, such as wetness, overheating, and other expanded survival mechanics, were obviously carried over to the other DLCs, so why not that one? If anything, with SW and HAM's more hostile weather conditions(and the arsonist tendencies of the Royal Guards) paired with the more extensive base building practically necessitates some mechanic to make quelling a fire easier to manage. I know "easier" kinda goes against the whole "uncompromising" thing, but the rate of fire spread in vanilla, SW, and HAM is just downright unfair and frustrating, especially when there's already a solution in RoG. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I personally would find playing Don't Starve's DLCs much more enjoyable if hours of hard work weren't in danger of going up in smoke in .5 seconds with me not being able to do anything about it.

yes i will keep posting this in every DSAlone QoL y'all post until it's addressed one way or another

RoG smoldering is only used for the wildfires that start in summer. It's not used for fire spread; that's something that was added later in DST.

That said I would love to see the DST fire spread system in singleplayer. I've always thought it was excessive how fast singleplayer fire spread is and that it was much more reasonable in DST.

• Like 3
  • Sanity 2

The main menu is something I think should be given settings still. By that I mean if you play with DLC installed you don't ever get to see the OG orange "Don't Starve" screen or hear the original music, etc. Hamlet's theme is cool but I think we should have a way to either rotate through each theme or pick one instead of just perpetually seeing the newest theme. It's been a looooooong time since I've heard the OG theme, or the SW theme for that matter.

17 minutes ago, bjanmanjs said:

That said I would love to see the DST fire spread system in singleplayer. I've always thought it was excessive how fast singleplayer fire spread is and that it was much more reasonable in DST.

I wouldn't mind it but I think the main reason they had to tone it down in DST was because it would be too easy for some random to join the server, craft a torch destroy everything without a chance to stop the fire spread. In singleplayer you yourself are usually the reason your base burns, either by making a mistake or not being prepared. 

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 9

Wow, I'm really glad that the formation of cave world has changed.

image.thumb.png.1a592ef2af5d7b241f8d8137f2e62706.png

In addition, can you modify the content generated by individual rooms? They still have some problems. For example, there are too many slug nests in the mushtree forest room, and almost all are blue mushtree forests, which makes the map look a little strange.

• Like 2

An option to make the caves generate like in the dst would be really nice. Not in the way that makes caves and ruins generate together in one shard but makes all the caves from different sink holes connected.

Baby water beefalos down, baby hippopotamoose to go!

All good stuff so far but I have to ask yet again....has anyone tested to see if the Shipwrecked seasons still randomly decide to stop working after the first year or so, or traveling to another world and then back?  They didn't seem to mention it in this patch but they may have just updated it without saying anything.