[Beta Update - PT II] Quality of Life Beta Available Now!

These are some great changes, :love_heart: you Klei! Ā 

Ā 

The dusk ambient light is brighter now.  

Ā 

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! My old eyes will finally be see clearly again without having to squint and lean in close to my monitor.

• Like 3

The Baby Ox are soooo cute!!!! This update is amazing! I love all the little changes to HAM and especially SW. I definitely exclaimed out loud with joy at more than one of the patch notes.

I am a bit sad that my Tar Extractor rush strategy isn't as viable anymore, but I love love love the increased usefulness of all the Tar related crafts. Tar Suit is no longer worst item in the game, maybe!?

Dragoon Hearts being easier to farm sounds awesome, and the changes to Hippopotamoose Antlers and Platapine Quills are huge! It felt like every line of this changelog was a love letter to the players.

I know it's pretty common for all the posts here to ask for additional stuff when you've already given us so much, but if I could make one request it would be to make the Yaarctopus easier to locate. Even if it's just an item that spawns nearby so only Wheeler's Navigadget would help, I just want a way to guarantee I run in to the dang pirate before day 100!

Thanks for all your hard work on these updates!! I can't wait to see what else you all have planned for this gem of a game!

• Like 1

Still no bed furniture for hamlet house?

SADGE

Why do I have to build a tent inside a house just to sleep...

Ā 

Ā 

or at least put bunny puff and fur roll blueprint into pigshop so I can craft fur roll without jumping between world.

(I know you can make straw roll in hamlet world but it doesn't restore any health)

Edited by Xenna
  • Like 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

Has Wormwood already recieved it's QoL tweaks from DST yet?

I'm talking about not suffering sanity drain from being wet and bees being neutral while it's blooming.

If notĀ (I don't remember if this had been added in a past Beta Update)Ā these changes would be very much appreciated.

Another extremely minor thing that I've always found very odd-looking, but I think Hamlet's Cut Grass texture could be changed into the greener SW version in order to better match the color of grass tufts found in the world.

I think this must have been a remnant from the Hamlet when grass tufts used to be lighter in color.

image.thumb.png.b7cf1e9d76698b5850cd7ba2b5d59554.png

image.png.3178f31fb4e2e12ea03a5c947bcb900a.png

Thank all of you who are working on these wonderful updates! I'm extremely happy to see this all this love being put onto the original version of the game!

Bless you Klei!

Edited by SandvichSpy
  • Like 6
  • GL Happy 1

Thank you thaaank you so much for these QoL updates I adore this game and it's dlcs an unhealthy amountĀ :wilson_love:

I have suggestions ofc ofc

. Skins/decor! Oh my god if skins crossed over I'd loose my mind! If it synced up with DST that'd be amazing I wanna support the game and earn the skins myselfĀ 

perhaps this could be somehow connected via steam inventory.. Or by checking if your online on startup or simply clicking 'offline' like how you do in DST

. Rockdens/Critters - I know they are hated, but I love them >:C ...

(Smaller requests..)
. DST birds/grass geckos I love collecting them ^^
. Naming your worlds! I always forget what world I'm using at the time...
. The entrance in the caves from DST being in SOLO, the rope is a pain haha (I know you can press space but I like the rock formation for aesthetic reasons~)Ā 
. Ofc a few more DST bosses and mobs,, I love having more critters or evil things lurking around...Ā 

I know it's a lot to add in or even suggest, which is honestly why this could be classed as... 'A new reign' DLC? Perhaps lore wise, this is activated via some time related shenanigans... Hmm, tis just some suggestions anywho (;Ā 

• Like 2

What a nice update! I've recently thought about playing the solo version of Don't starve, and these huge changes make me so happy! :)

The only thing that could be asked is to reduce the attack speed of beardlords. Killing a group of them without taking damage is just impossible, and their bites hurt a lot.Ā 

• Setting resources toĀ ā€œMoreā€ or ā€œLotsā€ in the world customization no longer spawn them outside the biome they should spawn.

I'm super not cool with this. Maybe if it just refers to resources I'd be okay but if it counts mobs as well then I'm not okay with it. I think it can result in super fun worlds such as setting bees, beefalo and horny beefalo to max resulting in wars between the two all across the world. Add Merms and tentacles for fish, frogs and monster meat and it suddenly becomes much more dangerous. Set the clockworks a little higher for gears for an ice box and you've traded safety for easy access to food. I really hope this isn't gone and would love to see this feature in DST. (Perhaps as an option to spawn mobs out of biome so you don't have to set them to super high and lag your server.) Someone will have to tell me if it's gone because I won't update if it is.

• Haha 1

Many of these changes are very cool and super useful, Iā€™m glad I wonā€™t have to deal with the sniper bees anytime soon! I have to say though, I kinda prefer the old guardian fight over the redesigned one, but Iā€™m guessing there wonā€™t be an option to go back to the old design when the update will be out?

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, DiogoW said:

Tune-Up-Beta-Promo-Purple.jpg
Ā 

Hey everybody!

Now that we have mostly gone through the feedback and bug fixes, we're ready for a huge batch of QOL changes, additions and some more bug fixes.

At this point, most of the feedback and bug reports have been addressed, but please feel free to let us know your thoughts. If all goes well, we'll have this fixed up and ready to go out to the live branch within the next couple weeks or so.

Thanks again!
Ā 

Instructions for switching to beta versions on Steam can be found here.

The bug tracker for Donā€™t Starve can be found here.

The acronym in parentheses at the end of each change/bug fix refers to which DLCs this change/bug fix is applied to:

• Base: the vanilla game, no DLCs.
  • RoG: Reign of Giants.
  • SW: Shipwrecked.
  • HAM: Hamlet.
  • ALL: all of the above.
    Ā 

Additions:

• Ā  Reveal hidden contents
    • New item: the Seed of Ruin. It can be obtained by defeating the Ancient Guardian (ALL).
      • Existing worlds where the Ancient Guardian is already dead will have a Seed of Ruin appearing somewhere in the ruins.
    • The Water Beefalo will now have adorable offspring! (SW).
    • New craftable: the Nightmarish Bird Whistle (HAM).
    • New Crock Pot recipe: the Meated Nettles, an antihistamine food made with meat! (HAM).

Ā 

Changes:

• Non-gameplay changes (ALL):

• The mouse wheel can now be used to browse the mods in the mods screen.
      • Chest and Bundle Wrap UI have better quality now.
      • A new integrated backpack layout can now be enabled in settings.
      • Scrolling through the world customization screen and mod configuration screen now no longer shows half of the items on the previous page.
      • The maximum number of save slots has been increased to 10.
      • A "don't show this again" check box has been added to the ā€œmods enabledā€ warning screen. Check it if you don't want the warning to appear anymore!
      • Background images will now be shown on the loading screen.

Ā 
  • Gameplay changes:

• World (ALL):
        • Setting resources to ā€œMoreā€ or ā€œLotsā€ in the world customization no longer spawn them outside the biome they should spawn.
        • Hound and Crocodog waves will occur less frequently as the days go by.
        • World hopping will not update mob attack wave timers with the time spent outside the world anymore.
          • That is, traveling between worlds won't force a wave of hounds/crocodogs/etc to spawn if you're outside the world for a while.
        • The caves world generation has been changed to have fewer bridges that lead nowhere.

Ā 
  • Utility / Interface (ALL):
      • Items can be stacked on the active item.
      • Items within a container (chests, etc) can now be used when crafting.
      • Now Itā€™s possible to drop items directly from the inventory/container using the "Force Container (mod)" key, left shift by default, and the right click.
      • The dusk ambient light is brighter now.
      • All trees now have minimap icons for their burned and stump versions.

Ā 
  • Tweaks:
      • Character-exclusive items crafted by Wigfrid, Wickerbottom and Woodlegs will no longer disappear when switching characters (ALL).
      • Decreases the volume of the WX-78's overcharge sound (ALL).
      • Worm Holes, Catcoons, Electric Isosceles, End Well, Pew-matic Horn and Navigadget now accept any item (ALL).
      • Many structureā€™s breaking sounds have been adjusted to match their materials (ALL).
      • Cactus Spike, Doydoy Feather, Blueprints, Lotus Plant and Stinger are now burnable (ALL).
      • Caged birds now accept raw monster meat and refuse cooked eggs (ALL).
      • Turfs can be stacked up to 20 now (ALL).
      • Increased the number of uses for the Tent and Siesta Lean-to to better reflect their crafting cost (ALL).
      • The damage absorbed by armors is no longer limited to its current durability. 1% and 100% durability will absorb the same damage points (ALL).
      • Dragoon Egg now has a chance to drop obsidian (SW).
      • Rawling is no longer burnable and is now considered an unrecoverable item (SW).
      • The Slot Machine now only drains sanity on use (SW).
      • The Sea Worther now floats (SW, HAM).
      • Sea Chest has a new placement animation (SW, HAM).
      • Strong winds will no longer pick up flowers (SW, HAM).
      • The Brain of Thought will not be consumed if the player already knows the crafting recipe (SW, HAM).
      • When a Worker Pigman dies before fixing the broken structure it was supposed to, a new Worker will spawn after a while and not instantly, as it was (HAM).
      • Topiaries and Hedges are now burnable and have a leafs effect when hammered (HAM).
      • Hippopotamoose Antlers can now be stacked (HAM).
      • Waves now collide with Lily Pads (HAM).
      • Claw Palm Sapling is now an item instead of a structure (HAM).
      • Vortex Cloak no longer prevents stunlocking when at 0% durability (HAM).
      • Mant Mask durability is now consumed by wearing it, like the Mant Suit (HAM).
      • Lamp Post will not turn off when placed in caves (HAM).
      • The Glommer's Flower can no longer be stored in the Root Trunk (HAM).

Ā 
  • New Mechanics:
      • The Lazy Forager can now be refilled with Nightmare Fuel (ALL).
      • Tree saplings and crops can now be dug up with a shovel (ALL).
      • An animation used when setting things on fire with the torch and lighter has been added (ALL).
      • Non-Endothermic Campfires and Fire Pits will now drop a charcoal when the fire goes out, if it was fueled to the max stage (ALL).
      • Most burnt trees now have a chance to occasionally drop a charcoal, and all burnt trees now have a chance to drop an extra charcoal when chopped down (ALL).
      • Krissures can now be removed using coconades explosion (SW).
      • Yaarctopus accepts a new recipe and has new common loot (SW).
      • The Sea Yard can now repair the boat without the player being in it (SW, HAM).
      • The Tar Extractor will pile up the produced tars if the player is away (SW).
      • The Tar Lamp can now be refilled with tar (SW, HAM).
      • The Living Artifact is now able to break Obsidian Rocks and Dragoon's Dens with its special attack (HAM).
      • Cloth's Blueprint and Bamboo have been added to Smashing Pot loot (HAM).
      • Particulate Purifier now prevents the Hay Fever (HAM).
      • Stone Slabs will regenerate their loot over time (HAM).
        • Older worlds will have their Stone Slabs restocked.
      • Shears can now be used to efficiently hack bamboo and vines (HAM).
      • Trawl Net will collect a different set of items when used in Lily Ponds (HAM).
      • Items made from iron can now be smelted in the Smelter (HAM).
      • Dark Tatters can now be used to efficiently refuel the Vortex Cloak (HAM).
      • Oincs now drop in their higher value versions, when possible (HAM).
      • Wilba will now drown when transforming into Werewilba while on a boat (HAM).

Ā 
  • New Crock Pot ingredients:

Batilisk Wing, Raw Birchnut, Leafy Meat and Rainbow Jellyfish.

Ā 
  • The following items have had their stats changed:
      • Pick/Axe: has more uses, does more damage (ALL).
      • Thulecite Club: has more uses (ALL).
      • Star Caller's Staff: the Dwarf Star stays longer (ALL).
      • Insulated Pack and Sea Sack: has more slots, are no longer burnable (RoG, SW, HAM).
      • Tar Suit: lasts longer, can be repaired with tar (SW).
      • Windbreaker: increased water resistance (SW).
      • Quackering Ram: more uses, less damage, added cooldown (SW, HAM).
      • Snakeskin Jacket: increased water resistance (SW, HAM).
      • Fancy Helmet and Tin Suit: increased defense, decreased movement penalty (HAM).
      • Weevole Mantle: increased defense, added water resistance (HAM).
      • Vortex Clock: has more slots, less sanity drain, cheaper repair (HAM).
      • Bramble Husk: increased defense, increased durability (HAM).
      • Thunderhat: lightning strikes consume less durability (HAM).

Ā 
  • Crafting recipes changes:
      • Changed the position of the Bundle Wrap crafting recipe to be near the top (ALL).
      • Insulated Pack, Bat Bat, Marble Suit, Potted Ferns, Thunderhat and Cat Cap cost less resources now (ALL).
      • Rabbit earmuffs no longer need a Science Machine to prototype (ALL).
      • Tar Extractor and Sea Yard now require the Alchemy Engine to prototype (SW).
      • Boat Torch can be crafted in Hamlet (HAM).

Ā 
  • These items/structures now drop items when hammered/deconstructed:

Spiderhat, Palace's Watch Tower, Swinesbury Academy, Farm House, Quarry Lodgings, Mandrake Hill and Intricate Topiary.

Ā 
  • Creatures changes:
      • The Ancient Guardian fight has been redesigned (ALL).
      • Batilisks now drop Batilisk Wings more frequently (ALL).
      • Bees and Killer Bees now need to be closer to their targets to hit them (ALL).
      • Tallbirds without a nest will now make a new nest, but only on rocky, dirt or magma turf (ALL).
      • Changed the time for Tallbirds to lay a new egg to be more inline with other food sources (ALL).
      • Shadow Hands (the campfire stealing hands) no longer trigger spider creep (ALL).
      • Deerclopsā€™s attack area more accurately reflects the FX (RoG, SW, HAM).
      • Dragoons now drop Dragoon Hearts more frequently (SW).
      • Fire Packim Baggims now no longer attacks monster mobs, and instead helps the player by attacking their target (SW).
      • Snakes and Flup can now be trapped (SW, HAM).
      • Adult and teen Doydoys will now float when dropped over water (SW, HAM).
      • Nightmare creatures, Ghosts and companions no longer trigger traps in Hamlet ruins (HAM).
      • Rabid Beetles, Vampire Bats and Royal Guards are now susceptible to the Deep Rainforest poisonous gas (HAM).
      • City pigmans now walk home during the dusk, preventing them from getting stuck in walls (HAM).
      • The Worker pigman will no longer spawn to repair player built structures (HAM).
      • Bees and butterflies are now affected by the Bug B'Gone's poison cloud (HAM).

Ā 
  • Hamlet's economy changes (HAM):
      • Platapine Quills are now tradable with the Collector Pigman.
      • Hippopotamoose Antlers are now tradable with the Hunter Pigman.
      • The Trawl Net Blueprint can now be purchased in the Tinkerer's Tower.
      • Sewing Kits can now be purchased in the Sow's Ear Hat Shop.
      • Ice staff, Red staff, Chill amulet, Glow Berry and Down Feather had their price reduced in Hamlet shops. Gears and Halberd had their price increased.

Ā 

Bug Fixes:

• Art fixes:
      • Fixed a misplaced bubble in some Quacken animations (SW).
      • Fixed Willow's missing dark eye circle when sailing (SW, HAM).
      • Fixed Wimpy Wolfgang face position when sailing (SW, HAM).
        Ā 
    • Fixed Abigail not despawning when hit by Wendy (ALL).
    • Fixed being able to use the bug net while riding a beefalo (ALL).
    • Fixed Beefalos losing aggro too quickly (ALL).
    • Fixed Splumonkey Pods shaking while burned (ALL).
    • Fixed plants playing the barren animation transition even though they are already playing the barren animation (ALL).
    • Fixed some missing world customization texts (ALL).
    • Fixed boomerang sometimes stopping in mid-air when dropped (ALL).
    • Fixed Water Beefalo walking over water (SW).
    • Fixed the Tiger Shark staying invincible in some cases (SW).
    • Fixed picking up mussels from the ground using the long animation (SW).
    • Fixed Wilbur, while running, showing the hand equipment in his tail when he shouldn't (SW).
    • Fixed Quackering Ram not breaking Coral Reefs that had the mineable part mined by it (SW).
    • Fixed Sandbag's placement grid when outside Shipwrecked (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed being able to place aquatic structures too close to each other (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed floating Abigail's Flower animation being frozen (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed physical attacks poisoning the player, despite doing damage to the boat (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed manure sometimes not visually floating correctly (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed traveling between worlds not dropping special items from backpacks (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed Werebeaver drowning animation not playing correctly (SW, HAM).
    • Fixed the Hay Fever overlay appearing immediately on the first Hay fever (HAM).
    • Fixed Webber's inspection lines for Vortex Cloak and Dark Tatters inverted. (HAM).
    • Fixed Sandbags and walls blocking passage when broken and in interiors (HAM).
    • Fixed Sandbags blocking passage when broken after save-load (HAM).
    • Fixed a wrong compatibility text on the mods screen (HAM).
    • Fixed the Key to the City crafting tab constantly disappearing when the item was in backpacks (HAM).
    • Fixed missing floating animation for "Pig Skin?" (HAM).
    • Fixed Gnats making their nest over water (HAM).
    • Fixed Vipers losing aggro on water targets (HAM).
    • Fixed the player walking awkwardly when trying to enter a door in interiors (HAM).
    • Fixed Hippopotamooseā€™s freeze effect not fitting their model (HAM).
    • Fixed an issue with irreplaceable items stored in the Root Trunk before the update dropping at world origin (HAM).

Ā 

Notes for Modders:

A new function: RegisterInventoryItemAtlas is now available in the mod environment.

Ā 

Ā 

View full update

Ā 

could you guys add this removed track for when you enter the city?Ā 

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 3

12 hours ago, -Nick- said:

Pog dens would be a neat addition to hamlet savannas. They could act similair to catcoon dens. Making pogs renewable in hamlet.

I can see three pogs per den.

That would be neat. Even the cave cleft or the ruinous entrance can act as a spanner. Seeing them go extinct is annoying.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

10 minutes ago, ansuman said:

That would be neat. Even the cave cleft or the ruinous entrance can act as a spanner. Seeing them go extinct is annoying.

Besides cute factor I don't think much value is lost from them being extinct, they are actual pests most of the time and should be murdered on sight in practicality, especially before aporkalypse. Even if they aren't going to be made more useful though there should be some way to bring them back if someone wants to, but maybe not forced from a permanent structure :P

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

cute factor

I'm very surprised they don't give sanity when befriended like pigs, bunnymen, and ballphins do, or at least if they do the wiki doesn't mention it.

18 hours ago, -Nick- said:

Pog dens would be a neat addition to hamlet savannas. They could act similair to catcoon dens. Making pogs renewable in hamlet.

I can see three pogs per den.

Speaking of catcoon dens, has the DST mechanic been ported where they eventually repair themselves after their owner runs out of lives?

• Like 4

thank god, i thought i was going insane with the bees when i tried to walk through a swarm thinking they would miss their stings but instead obliterating me in record time (2nd segment of the 1st day)

Ā 

also pretties please, add attack animation cancelling to DS as well

Edited by bloopah

6 hours ago, bloopah said:

also pretties please, add attack animation cancelling to DS as well

Someone would correct me if I am wrong, but isn't attack animation canceling a bug that was fixed on purpose in DS but slipped through DST because it was based off an old build of DS? I'm not against it but design wise that does add a bit of a blur between unfixing a bug and a quality of life change.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Someone would correct me if I am wrong, but isn't attack animation canceling a bug that was fixed on purpose in DS but slipped through DST because it was based off an old build of DS? I'm not against it but design wise that does add a bit of a blur between unfixing a bug and a quality of life change.

well, you can cancel about every animation in regular DS, except for attacking and eating (the latter of which is also not cancelable in DST)

Edited by bloopah