Are Backpacks too good?

yes its very broken and should be removed from the game, everyone knows the uncompromising part of dst is all about inventory management and backpacks are too OP and break this uncompromising part of the game. they definitely need huge nerfs such as you get very slow for every item in your backpack multiplied by the stack size of the item as well so if you have 40 items you get 40% slower that would make it balanced

On 12/16/2022 at 8:05 PM, Riddla said:

Though kinda sad to see Log Suits being ignored often, since you can just craft multiple of them, and when you're in risk of combat, you simply right-click the suit and you're all set. Is it because someone might steal backpack? Burn it? No idea.

Log armor is awful because football hat exists. 

32 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

The main problem with any body protection is football hats. 80% DR for a head slot is honestly kind of crazy, and with how prominent and easy healing is to acquire in this game, any body armor is pretty much pointless. Why forgo 8 slots for a little less damage taken?

Not saying that it's entirely pointless because you can just switch out your backpack for a body armor (as many have pointed out), but if you're already knowledgeable enough about the game to that degree, it's much easier/resource efficient to kite at that point, or even just use a magi.

Log suits in particular really only shine when you're in early game/forced to equip another head slot item for a boss (Antlion).

44 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Log armor is not awful, it's useful for when your head slot is going to be needed for something else.

Sandstorms, moonstorms, vs  charged voltgoats, caves (if you use a miner hat), its even useful if you want to pair it with a bone helm or a bee queen crown to reduce the damage they will take on hit.

And yes there are better body slot armors, but they have their downsides, marble has a speed penalty, night armor reduces sanity (though that is good) and thulecite is rather expensive and not to mention they are not craftable on the go. 

Now that i mention it, it feels weird that there isn't another body slot armor item (besides wormwood which is character specific) that offers protection without a drawback...

EDIT: I meant another body armor item that is easy to get, similar to the eye mask. Snurtle shells are rare, scalemail can potentially burn loot, and bone armor works different than the rest... And its behind the hardest boss.

I can do much more with backpacks and bundles and what not compared to when playing without. Magi might be useful for boss rushing and getting to places, but without a backpack it's kinda a hell when you wanna bring back a lot of resources to your trash pile.

I find clothing items generally useless if you're trying to play the game with effort. If you wanna just chill and hang clothing items are perfect for that cause sanity gain, rain protection, warmth and with some less hunger loss.

While I'd really love a clothing slot, I'd also go down with inventory slots for better tier clothing items. To be fair kinda silly that you can't wear a backpack and a puffy vest at the same time. It might be kinda "OP" for some folk in the forums, but I'd just find it nice and convenient.

Though to add, if clothing item would be only allowed to be paired with a backpack and nothing else I'd be fine.

I feel a hunch that Klei might add uses for clothing and maybe open that slot up, but who knows what next year will bring. 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, Well-met said:

The only strange thing about them is how they're immune to fire.

if you think backpacks are unbalanced, look for thermal stones instead

The ability to close them is also a peculiar feature. Never understood exactly what purpose this serves.

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

I still think it'd be cool if stuff like the Hibearnation vest and whatnot had a couple extra pockets to hold things in. Nothing crazy, but I think giving 2 slots could be cool and maybe convince Backpack players to try something else out.

I wouldnt like this personally because itd mean hibernation vests wouldnt be carryable in the inventory anymore, only body slot like other backpacks. I like using both items and switching out to hibernation vest when staying in an area for a while.

12 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

but then renewability comes into factor

log suits are much better and easier to ammass compared to football helmets whereas you have to wait 22 days to get pig skin which would be bad for a pub where people consistently need their armor when battling

10 hours ago, Hornete said:

I wouldnt like this personally because itd mean hibernation vests wouldnt be carryable in the inventory anymore, only body slot like other backpacks. I like using both items and switching out to hibernation vest when staying in an area for a while.

Certain mods already do this though. And it just drops the items inventory on the ground so you cant do pseudo bundle wraps with clothing items. 
Only really see this as a thing with the coats items since well pockets exist.

but also other chest items do what they need to do. I would think its bad to wear an item that you don't need for the time that its needed right?

The amount of item combinations help out alot honestly  like lets say winter to spring.
If the player has a walking cane  more than likely the would perfer the eyebrella so they would have 100 percent resistance to wetness.
But if they don't get the eye They may opt for the rain hat to keep the speed and the pack but also need to use trees to dry off.
Or swap to an umbrella to keep the backpack. but lose the speed
Or they can go raincoat to keep the speed but loose the pack?
Its all in what the player decides is worth.
and every player chooses what they want dependent on whats around them.

There are always multiple answers to the solutions.

but its also a reason why i feel eyebrella is overrated.

The problem isn't "backpacks are too good," its that people are packrats.

Early game this is okay b/c you wanna gather things up as you go so you don't have to run around again later but once you settle on a base location you can leave your grass, twigs, flint, and excess tools there.  When you decide what you're doing take what you need for that task.

The only argument for "backpack op" really has to come from the angle of "it's op because it crowds out other options."

But does it?  Have you tried just... not using a backpack?  Its really not that hard XD

Any existing inventory-enhancer variant is ok; problem arises with body-slot competing gear and its all-around usefulness (in having it almost-always equipped): most is either mediocre, contextual, has better head-slot concurrents/mechanics or gets its durability consumed too quickly (compared to head-slot alternatives - best example: Hibearnation Vest vs Beefalo Hat & Tam O' Shanter). Of mention is how heat-retention works in the game as well: without a Thermal Stone/heating, sooner-or-later one will still freeze, par example; while solely a Thermal Stone + heating via torching lone trees will get the job done cheaply and neatly, absolutely no other items needed - bonus: Thermal provides light at night to ward off Charlie when level 5/glowing red (obviously heat-retention times for character will be short when used solo, but that's neither here nor there). If anything, as others mentioned above, KLei should buff body-slot articles to the point player(s) will really have enticing choices to ponder about from overall efficiency's pov.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Hibearnation Vest vs Beefalo Hat

Why is it hibernation vest vs beefalo hat? They stack. Unlike thermal stones which don't stack and keep you warm for 4-8 minutes depending on how you warm them, clothes can keep you warm for like half an hour.

52 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why is it hibernation vest vs beefalo hat? They stack. Unlike thermal stones which don't stack and keep you warm for 4-8 minutes depending on how you warm them, clothes can keep you warm for like half an hour.

Because we're discussing +inventory slots, and how beneficial they are to the point OP considers backpacks "too good". From multiple-situations scenarios with possible tools at your disposal pov. Vest + Hat means basically -8/-14 slots that could be filled with various categories of items. Am not writing about newbies/noobs that just hoard bones, teeth, rot, poop, rotten eggs, 5% Axes and such. But armor, weapons, healing, etc rigorously sorted and accounted for what one might plan and also what could occur randomly (or rather, cumulatively). With +inventory you also don't need to travel to your camp/stash place so much when changing objectives, since you'll have plenty on your additional slots. And, as stated, it doesn't matter that half an hour since you'll require in that time a sewing kit to repair your dress items, plus already-needed torch (and/or Lantern) as opposed to solely thermal + torch (Winter's case) and a load of additional space for useful paraphernalia. Btw, am not advocating for one play-style over another; if you feel well about no further inventory slots expansion, that's dandy. Yet I for one don't consider such play-style to my fancies since the "alternative" items game proposes don't seem good enough for me to rethink my strat - more-so since I nomad most time.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

keep you warm for like half an hour.

Without wilson's beard, each tier 3 warm clothing add 8 mins if you start and 60C and end at 0C. Wearing both hat and cloth will give you extra 16 min of surviving if your start temperature is 60C.
Wilson beard give you extra 5.5 mins.

Backpack with thermal stone + 20 logs + 40 grass + food can let you survive the entire winter traveling, with light. And you can have armor on your head gear.

bearger vest really needs a durability buff

5 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Without wilson's beard, each tier 3 warm clothing add 8 mins if you start and 60C and end at 0C. Wearing both hat and cloth will give you extra 16 min of surviving if your start temperature is 60C.
Wilson beard give you extra 5.5 mins.

Backpack with thermal stone + 20 logs + 40 grass + food can let you survive the entire winter traveling, with light. And you can have armor on your head gear.

thermal stone is more versatile, gives light (honestly, the best perk for me) and potentially infinity with the downside of not being that strong while clothing always degrades, covers their character slot but keep you warm and cooler for longer

i think is a good general balance 

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

bearger vest really needs a durability buff

As the name "hybernation vest" it should have more effect on and for sleeping players, like reduce even more hunger drain when sleep, compare to hunger belt.
Or allow player to sleep when equipping it like grass roll or fur roll.

I think the feature of dropping your backpack on the ground to equip armor is a bit.. outdated, maybe it was in the game as sort of realism cause you can’t put on armor over a bag full of stuff or whatever.. it just feels like something that worked in single player but gets chaotic in Multiplayer.

But it’s not just with armors, moving statues around also means having to drop your backpack and later return to pick it back up.. and it just feels how do I put this.. off.

What I mean to say is that I think it would be cool if players could still hold onto their backpacks but the inventory of the backpack was inaccessible while wearing armors or moving statues.

Yes I get that this may make the game easier.. but as a Wendy main who use to have to rush head first into danger to pick up Abigail’s flower from the very spot she died within- I can say with certainty that the games getting easier in certain aspects.

Maybe players could even enjoy using floral shirts or hibernation vests but with the inventory simply being inaccessible (maybe greyed out with a lock) until you unequip the body slot item.

I am biased towards backpacks because i am a hoarder and i always collect a ton of resources so that i can build my big base but there's really nothing that can outcompete backpacks until late game where magi is sustainable and you don't need to gather everything as you will have farms/setups.

When i want to fight something, i just put on night armor/marble suit and after I am done, i pick up my backpack, i have 7 extra slots, what is the alternative? Using body slot for insulation when it is subpar compared to head slot? Eyebrella and beefalo hat literally cover you for all the seasons, even football helmet gives rain protection and that makes it better than log suit.

There is no situation where backpack is a bad choice, when all of the other body slot items are much more situational, backpacks can be used year round without requiring maintenance and if you do use body slot for insulation, what are you going to do with your head slot? So it feels like it is much more worthwhile to use backpack.

30 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

I am biased towards backpacks because i am a hoarder and i always collect a ton of resources so that i can build my big base but there's really nothing that can outcompete backpacks until late game where magi is sustainable and you don't need to gather everything as you will have farms/setups

precisely magi is more useful in early to make the many things needed faster (rushing bosses) and backpack (krampus sack) in late because mass farming for building is the only task left tha the game offers

32 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Using body slot for insulation when it is subpar compared to head slot? Eyebrella and beefalo hat literally cover you for all the seasons, even football helmet gives rain protection and that makes it better than log suit.

...but you can combine that hat with a body slot cloth to make it more effective...

33 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

you do use body slot for insulation, what are you going to do with your head slot?

wearing isulation hats, armor, light, tam for sanity...

backpack is versatile but that doesnt make body slot clothing bad

I do agree with your point; the Backpack does absolutely dominate the body-slot meta. But as others have mentioned, I wonder if the problem's not that Backpacks are too good, but rather that head slots are too good. 

After all, when you look at what the player wears equipment to do, what are you really loosing out on by only using helmets?

Armor? Head slot armor is just as effective as body slot, and is often even better/cheaper, as seen with Football Helmets, Thulecite crowns, and the Eye Mask. 

Tempature? Easy to manage with just a thermal stone. And again, the head slot options are just as good as the body slot options. Hell, when it comes to summer protection, the head slot is by all accounts superior. As the highest-tier summer vest; the floral vest, decays and can't be re-used from season to season. Unlike the Eyebrella, which can be repaired while having just as much summer insulation plus 100% wetness protection. And yes, there are cases where you'd want to be both protected and insulated. But those tend to be few and far between. 

Wetness? A bit better, sense a rain coat does keep you drier than a rain hat. But once again you can get just as much protection with the eyebrella making the body slot irrelevant. Especially now that you can fight multiple deer clops per season thanks to the Hostile Flare. 

Sanity? The best sanity restoration in the game is from the Tam o' Shanter with +6.7 a minute. 

Hunger: At last, something that the body slot does better! Because unlike the Funcaps, Belts of Hunger and Hibearnation Vests don't increase how fast things in your inventory spoil! To bad anyone able to get either of those items won't be having trouble with hunger in the first place though...

So ultimately, this all comes down to opportunity cost. Specifically the cost of giving up several inventory slots to wear something in the body slot vs. Giving up... something to wear the items in the head slot. If you don't believe me, just look at Wagstaff back over in the base game. Having a much higher dependency on his special goggles which specifically can't do everything means that the choice between a backpack and everything else is much more even. Do you want to equip a beefalo hat along side your backpack to stay cold during the winter months? Or do you want to actually be able to see what you're doing? 

Archived