Are Backpacks too good?

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

A bit unrelated by I've never understood why log suits cost 8 logs and 2 ropes but football helms cost 1 pig skin and 1 rope. I don't think it'd be some major compromise to lower the cost to 4 logs and 1 rope giving a stack of logs 5 suits instead of 2 and a half.

not really against but chopping 2 trees is easier and safer than killing pigs for a % chance of getting pig skin/killing spiders until get enough MM to transform pigs/make a pig farm, the only scenario where is better is early game if you like to hammer pig houses and even there you can simply kill EoT before going to the ruins and getter better helmets

also log suits allows you to fight with miner hat/moggles which gives more movility = easier to dont be hit. You can wear magi and helmet but is less light

the rope is kinda killer in ruin rushes since grass is also used for hammers tho but still i see it in a good spot even if isnt "meta" and more if we take in count not experienced players. Again, not against a little buff

53 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

not really against but chopping 2 trees is easier and safer than killing pigs for a % chance of getting pig skin/killing spiders until get enough MM to transform pigs/make a pig farm, the only scenario where is better is early game if you like to hammer pig houses and even there you can simply kill EoT before going to the ruins and getter better helmets

also log suits allows you to fight with miner hat/moggles which gives more movility = easier to dont be hit. You can wear magi and helmet but is less light

the rope is kinda killer in ruin rushes since grass is also used for hammers tho but still i see it in a good spot even if isnt "meta" and more if we take in count not experienced players. Again, not against a little buff

While I do get it I feel like football helms are more than compensated by a higher stack size.

While its easy to overvalue backpacks, at the same time all the body slot clothes are just bad/inferior compared to hats or extremely situational like Theukon outlined on page 2.

which is a huge shame cuz its a whole class of items in the game that just go largely unused. 

The only body slot clothes i use are hibearnation vest/puffy vest in winter (only because of tempering temperatures) and situationally raincoat. The rest are just plain stinky and have been since forever with 0 dev interest so far to change it up.

Body slot clothing/armor should imo totally be better than their hat equivalents considering how useful backpacks are and how easy it is to change hats on the go thanks to backpack. 

Take the sanity regen stat for example. The highest available for a body slot clothing is 4.4 with the bear vest… which isnt even extended to the floral shirt which has a pathetic 3.3.

One of these requires a boss drop and the other is unrepairable and both have horrible durability. 

Sanity restoration is the only reason for dapper vest to exist and it still only has 3.3/min and its more expensive than the top hat. Dapper vest should totally give 6.7 otherwise theres no reason for it to exist. The recipe can be made more expensive if necessary. 

Tamoshanter blows them all out of the water. Theres no choice to make. 

Etc etc..

oh and, its not just backpacks that make body clothing largely irrelevant but also thermal stones but thats a whole other discussion.

I always thought every character should be given 2 more inventory slots, and backpack should lose 2 slots. This would let everyone carry a little more if they use armor/clothes, but backpack gameplay remains the same. With every new content update, there's more junk to carry around, but inventory management has not seen an update outside of addition of bundling wrap, so everyone uses backpack.

I see so much hate for items I feel no one even really tries out. The chest items do what they do and the backpack does what it does.
Theres lots of synergy. Backpacks are really great for general use.  Sometimes it sucks to have to constantly make a fire in winter. So in order to do that less you can make better insulation.
15 inventory slots is quite alot of space when you have a base setup to put all the junk in.
you want to stay with a backpack?
Go ahead  theres no stopping you its a great general use.

but don't say the chest items are bad just cause of the backpack bias.
They do exactly what they are ment to. temporary use cases to benefit the player during that moment in time.
Not consistent  wear for the whole game items.

Archived