Are Backpacks too good?

Backpacks are one of the most commonly used, and most frequently used items in the game to the point where players tend to forgo any other body slot item, because things like clothing items need to justify (essentially) missing out on 8 inventory slots which is pretty hard to justify lots of the times.

I have a feeling it's more about the hoarding habit of players and the paranoia of missing out on things they could potentially use/craft with.
For example, these random 4 rocks someone picked up, they might start thinking "What if I'll need them? What if I'll need to make a hammer?", etc.

Understandably, it's a survival game, having to find every single scrap of resource to shove into inventory and prepare, yet at the same time it's extremely easy for backpack to bring the person to the point of being entirely reliant on it. It's even worse if they tend to play public servers due to the fear of other players stealing items.

Besides these points, backpack is very good, but not too good. Easy to overlook dapper body slot items because some of their sanity boosting properties or insulation seem too minor and overlooked (dapper vest crying in the corner lmao). Though kinda sad to see Log Suits being ignored often, since you can just craft multiple of them, and when you're in risk of combat, you simply right-click the suit and you're all set. Is it because someone might steal backpack? Burn it? No idea.

If you're saying that it completely renders body armor moot, this is just a very novice perspective. Experienced players know that most times a player engages in combat are within their own control or the occasional hound attack. This simply means that popping on some armor for those brief moments is very simple and in the long run saves you on pig skin because itll eat up less durability from both items. Of course, if someone is playing as say Wigfrid, Wortox, or Wolfgang where hp is not really a concern then yea i suppose additional armor isnt really the priority. But as a Wormwood main, bramble husks are fundamental to how I play and this doesn't need to sacrifice a backpack.

41 minutes ago, Riddla said:

Is it because someone might steal backpack? Burn it? No idea.

Generally I avoid ever putting down my backpack even in combat because combat can get you far from the starting point and make you lose your backpack. Especially if it hides behind a structure or is in an area cluttered with things on the over-world that make it hard to stand out, like a forest. I am pretty bad about losing focus though so I don't know what the general player's excuse is.
For me it's a convenience issue but also because you don't usually need a body armor slot unless you're fighting a genuinely hard boss like the twins or a raid boss solo.

(...Also because it's the only item that can be used with the wereforms in some capacity I suppose lmao)

Extra equip slots users: Missed the part where that's my problem.

I too have become used to carry a backpack all the time and I don't feel like I'm missing on something, except for the hunger belt or the hibearnation vest when I'm playing as Warly, but food isn't a problem on late game when you get enough stuff to craft those. Maybe the backpacks aren't too good, it's the other items that aren't worth wearing.

I'd say it all comes down to play style, but I'd argue there's almost no reason to not use a backpack, aside from fighting/armor.

Mats can pretty much provide all the buffs that individual body pieces provide, with slots left over. Even if you want to fight on a whim you can generally carry armor to equip for the moment and switch back after the fight.

Walter- Extra Inventory Slots, Maxwell- Extra Inventory Slots.

Wickerbottom (huge storage shelf for books)

As someone currently playing Maxwell in a SOLO world you have no idea how convenient it is to in addition to having a backpack to also have a magical hat I can cram things into for later convenience- it’s literally 12 storage slots for the price of 1

Why is this good? Well I can put the materials I need for each weather season into the Shadow dimensional storage when I don’t need it- such as Nitre for Endothermic fires when it’s no longer summer, or wood for regular fires when summer starts & I no longer use wood for the fires. I can also keep my Eyebrella, Winterhat & Thermal stone in my nifty shadow storage.

OR can put Festive tree ornaments into the shadow storage to retrieve out when I get back to base to decorate my tree with.

Maxwell is just that darn awesome now!

Backpacks are useful if you have to carry around a lot of items- such as Wickerbottoms books.

Tell you what let’s have a little experiment: the task?

Build a fully decked out Boat with every type of equip-able item to upgrade it with (mast, Rudder, sails, lightning conductor, etc..) the amount of resources you’ll need to carry at any given time to be able to build a full boat + the boat parts that will no doubt eat up inventory slots like wildfire- you will quickly understand why people prefer to keep their backpack slots.

1 hour ago, MadMatt said:

Generally I avoid ever putting down my backpack even in combat because combat can get you far from the starting point and make you lose your backpack. Especially if it hides behind a structure or is in an area cluttered with things on the over-world that make it hard to stand out, like a forest. I am pretty bad about losing focus though so I don't know what the general player's excuse is.
For me it's a convenience issue but also because you don't usually need a body armor slot unless you're fighting a genuinely hard boss like the twins or a raid boss solo.

(...Also because it's the only item that can be used with the wereforms in some capacity I suppose lmao)

Fair enough, it does feel pretty annoying to go and chase after the backpack (especially with no speed bonuses around, blergh). Though backpack shows up as an icon on the map, doesn't it? Might blend in a little with surroundings though.

(Very true, backpack's on 24/7 as Woodie when always in mood to moose around, hehe)

7 minutes ago, Riddla said:

Though backpack shows up as an icon on the map, doesn't it? Might blend in a little with surroundings though.

It does but it has that same darkened tone outside of your vision, and I think it isn't high on the priority list of structures on the map. One time I dropped mine at base and looked at the map for a good 20 minutes, then looked at the base for 10, until someone said it's behind the alchemy engine and that I should turn my camera lol

Used to be a problem for me, especially when going into the caves. Once you get into the habit of managing your inventory it becomes less of a problem. Id used to always bring an axe, spade, pick as well as half a stack of each basic resource (grass rocks, flint, gold). Basically 90% of the time my inventory was cluttered with stuff I wasn't even using.

If I'm gathering or hauling things, I use a backpack. Only thing I keep on me 24/7 is a spear just in-case. No use in carrying all the other stuff unless you specifically are out doing tasks that require them.

6 hours ago, JustExo said:

Backpacks are one of the most commonly used, and most frequently used items in the game to the point where players tend to forgo any other body slot item, because things like clothing items need to justify (essentially) missing out on 8 inventory slots which is pretty hard to justify lots of the times.

You should've linked your youtube video, you explain yourself pretty well there

To me, the biggest thing with backpacks, is in a lot of situations, it's really more of a "Well, what else would I wear?" thing. Armor is only situationally useful, and seasonal/sanity items (or other things like Magi or hunger belt) all come with durability, which, is just in the most simplest way to say it, requires more effort than backpacks, no matter how miniscule. The backpack's perk is passive - Once it's made, your involvement ends there. All other items are either on a time limit, have limited functionality to feel like you're really getting every second's worth of value out of, or just require some form of maintenance, which is more than the backpack would ever ask of you. That, and the perks given by clothing items are either deemed not something needed at the time, or they don't know the full scale of what the body clothing actually does.

That being said, I've found that another large component to backpacks being used as much as they are, is actually because people are just so accustomed to them. Hell, you tell someone that the Hibearnation vest slows down hunger in addition to giving sanity and insulating, or that the floral shirt spoils like food but has the same heat protection as the eyebrella, or even that the rain coat has 100% rain protection like the eyebrella and insulates from freezing, and I'm sure there's quite a few people that would never have known that without being told. The backpack takes up so much priority in people's minds that I've met a lot of people who never even bothered looking at body clothing unless they had extra equip slots, which kind of flies in the face of the whole point of choosing them over backpacks.

I've also found, personally, that sometimes forgoing the backpack in longer running worlds for a clothing item can really help me out if I'm feeling lazier. It's a personal habit that I've had to break; that feeling that if I don't have the backpack on, I must be playing wrong, or that I'm unprepared, but let me tell you, it's really a neat experience to see what you can manage with the smaller inventory. Really helps you figure out what is actually vital in your inventory, which will also go to help how you play even with a backpack on.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

my play sessions boil down to playing the first few seasons on pubs - so lots of exploration. Backpacks are essential during this period so any "nerf" would be a truly horrible change imo.

Lmao, they’re not going to “Nerf” Backpacks.. in fact, you can even get way more storage then you can possibly know what to do with by using bundling wraps or WF gift wraps (which lets you wrap 4 items up into a little box and carry them around in a single storage slot) Normally to get this item requires killing Bee Queen but you can craft them for Free during WintersFeast, and in addition to NOT needing to kill BQ, you retain the knowledge to craft these highly game changing bundle wraps even after WF ends in any world that’s been through WF atleast once & you learned the craft during that time.

I agree. Solution: give everyone 4 extra slots by default, and take away 4 slots from all backpacks (regular, piggyback, krampus sack).

This would A) do much to free people from the backpack in the sense that you now have extra slots, making clothing and armor much more appealing and B) reduce the clearly massive advantage that backpacks have over all the other body slot options.

I don't have a problem with inventory management. What is essential for me:

• At least 2 light sources
  • Body armor
  • Weapon
  • Seasonal clothing
  • Food
  • Character item(s)
  • Hand slot is occupied by cane.
  • Body slot is occupied by belt of hunger or seasonal clothing
  • Head slot is free and occupied by miner hat at night. Or always occupied by enlightened crown when I get it.

Additionally I like to carry a star/moon caller and sometimes a life giving amulet, a torch for trips in winter, luxury fan in summer. If I need to hoard stuff (like a trip to mine boulders at meteor fields), shadow Chester is enough.

Ruins is the only place where I need a backpack, too much loot to carry.

What I'm more concerned about, however, is the inventory capacity of chests. There are so many items in the game that a chest zone always ends up being massive when I build it. Maybe make them have 16 slots (4x4) and scaled chest up to 20 (4x5)? That'd be an ok solution. 

6 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

What I'm more concerned about, however, is the inventory capacity of chests. There are so many items in the game that a chest zone always ends up being massive when I build it. Maybe make them have 16 slots (4x4) and scaled chest up to 20 (4x5)? That'd be an ok solution. 

we need more kind of chests made of different materials, with unique shapes and, why not, perks along with different ammount of slots instead of 485748 skins for the same chest

Everyone uses backpacks because they don't know inventory management. When I see people die they literally drop things like 2 and a half stacks of flint.

I only really use backpacks/piggybacks at the start of the game when exploring, when riding beefalo, and during a few niche situations.

22 hours ago, Notecja said:

imagine being able to put backpack to inventory, yet at same time being limited to one backpack. To me would be just perfect.

So in other words... something like a backpack slot?

Because yeah my "hot take" would be that the inventory space backpacks provide is so good for almost any situation, that they just make body slot items seem bad in comparison and that something like a dedicated backpack slot could help alleviate that "problem". Especially since a lot of body equippables have an equivalent hat version, which can make players question why they should go for something like an puffy vest when you could also make use of a beefalo hat.

The only body slot equippables that fall outside of that are armours for the most part, since you probably won't be actively travelling while fighting. Only problem at that point would be fire burning your backpack if it happens to be closeby enough.

This isn't to say players can't come by without a backpack or anything either. Different playstyles definitely prove that. But I don't think it can really be denied that having a backpack allows you to have more flexibility with many facets of the game as a whole.

Not that they're too good, they are probably more or less perfect. More like everything else (body clothing) is kind of trash by comparison, and usually you don't want to keep it off unless you are in combat, then you can use body armor while keeping backpack in a relatively safe place temporarily. Body clothing is not exactly momentarily useful, so it's either you use that or the backpack. The dynamic of course would change if we had extra equip slots, or a head slot storage unit, though too much of the latter might make some existing useful clothing items like the tamoshanter or the enlightened crown not worth keeping because you might probably just keep both the head slot backpack as well as the body slot backpack on for maximum storage.

Archived