[Game Update] - 525640

49 minutes ago, Hyuyu said:

Nice! Klei thinking about new players is always great and a good change of pace. 

Also ruins turf :)

I mean is it really? All DST needed was a Tutorial Mode in the same vibe as Solo DS’s Adventures Mode- Everything I learned I learned through trail and error, live, die, learn, die again, live again, rinse repeat.

What DS did was leave the player “clues” and “tools” to use so THEY THEMSELVES had to figure out what they’re good for.

Ive played several games where before you can ever play multiplayer you need to first complete the tutorial so you know clearly what to do/how to play..and your not just an absolute burden on other players when you finally unlock online mode.

And that’s something DS’s Adventure mode would help the player learn by spawning them at Maxwells feet, teasing them more often then not by having useful resources around that helps aid them through the chapter (example King of Winter always had a few burning campfires and trees to tell the player hey burning fires keeps me warm & burning trees gives me charcoal for my fires)

What Klei has effectively done here is the exact opposite- the player isn’t learning ANYTHING.. you just Disable Death, Hunger, Dying in the Dark etc..

this doesn’t help new players who want to LEARN the game and play with their more skilled friends in learning anything… this helps those New players never need to step out their comfort zone and further puts a wedge between people being able to play Together.

Oddly enough… for a game called Dont Starve Together, Klei sure does make some odd design choices in how we can play TOGETHER.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’d be bored to death having to play in “No Sweat Mode” because my friends weren’t Willing to learn and get better at the game.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Everything they added to make it easier is optional, just don't turn it on if you don't like it. 

That's not the point, the point is that they have been focusing largely on casual players for many years and ignoring people asking for more wilderness survival in their survival game.

And now they just straight up add an easy mode, it feels like a slap in the face.

Sure I can keep it off, but can I turn on a hard mode with unique features and designs? No, I can't, because they didn't make one.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3
  • Big Ups 1

57 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Added a Tallbird Egg Crock Pot recipe.

Tallbirds without a nest will now make a new nest, but only on rocky or dirt turf.

This is amazing, I love tallbird, but sadly I lost my only nest in my current world!

So is there a way to make tallbirds renewable please? I have an idea to use Steeped Lunar Essence to change normal egg to Tallbird egg? Or maybe add them as chance to spawn from Suspicious Dirt Pile!

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

6 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

That's not the point, the point is that they have been focusing largely on casual players for many years and ignoring people asking for more wilderness survival in their survival game.

And now they just straight up add an easy mode, it feels like a slap in the face.

klei has done this with their other survival games. I think its just standardization and good practice for accessibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Sure I can keep it off, but can I turn on a hard mode with unique features and designs? No, I can't, because they didn't make one.

Of course they've been focusing on newer players, they have no reason not to. Veteran players who want the game to be harder aren't going to buy more copies of the game, and are also a very VERY small percentage of the player base. 

There's a difference between being ignored and just being outvoted.

• Like 12

smh klei why are u trying to grief poor newbies :lol: thats a really expensive way to make fishsticks lol. perhaps it wouldve been better if the recipe cards only mentioned the strictly necessary ingredients (1x fish morsel, 1x twigs) and let the player figure the rest out for themselves. Still, im sure newer players will really appreciate all these additions to the game. 

618760841_Schermafbeelding2022-10-03om19_53_55.png.78927afef615e2792eb0167359c07251.png

the tallbird egg dish is really bonkers! butter-dish level stats for just a tallbird egg :shock:

4 twigs for a 75/30 beef dish is also pretty crazy! totally replaces dragon pie. taming a beefalo should be way easier now for people who prefer to go the "keeping fed" route. has anyone managed to figure out the other beef dish? 

it is kinda weird how this has now replaced wet goop for failed dishes containing a lot of twigs though.. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 10
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Playstyle, Game Mode, and Preset changes

Kinda sucks with this update seeming to focus on this we still can't change the "Server Mode". So offline worlds still can't go online to play with others and vice-versa :/

I'm all for QoL though it's kind of a bummer that so long passed since the last update and this update seems to only be some QoLs and the main thing is basically a casual mode.. I was hoping for some actual content though I guess eggs finally having a crockpot recipe is nice..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ohan said:

smh klei why are u trying to grief poor newbies :lol: thats a really expensive way to make fishsticks lol. perhaps it wouldve been better if the recipe cards only mentioned the strictly necessary ingredients (1x fish morsel, 1x twigs) and let the player figure the rest out for themselves. Still, im sure newer players will really appreciate all these additions to the game.

Yeah the recipe cards seem almost intentionally bad with their examples, I don't get it. The one for Fish Tacos also tells the player to add an onion for no reason, and the one for Stuffed Pepper Poppers tells you to put in a whole potato despite it being entirely unnecessary and ensuring you don't gain any hunger from the recipe. I think the idea is to give the player room for more experimentation by seeing what they can remove while still getting the same recipe, but I have to imagine the more likely scenario is simply players continuing to add the unnecessary ingredients out of fear of waste.

Edited by sylvia wander o
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

Is it just me or are the QOL changes better than the actual new content

They told us not to overhype it. I still think it's pretty cool though

Edited by DaZoul

3 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

Is it just me or are the QOL changes better than the actual new content

the new content is more of a little adition, i dont think its intended to be something like curse of the moon quay or waterlogged levels of content

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

the new content is more of a little adition, i dont think its intended to be something like curse of the moon quay or waterlogged levels of content

But it still counts as setting the stage update, i think. So we only have one more left.

• Like 1

Recipe Cards can now be found throughout the world

i think that teaching recipes could be done in a funnier way but atleast is added

Ice Cream is now classified as Goodies

another wigfrid restriction deleted xD

The Lazy Forager can now be repaired with nightmare fuel

now we not only need more yellow gem recipes but also orange gems. Cleaning the ruins to only be interested in green gems isnt fun

overall really good additions but these ones and not adding harder settings feels bad

• Like 4