Wickerbottom's Refresh Now Available On Steam, Xbox and Playstation!

Okay, ignoring the entire rest of the thread because I can't be arsed:

1.  I'm SO glad the kitty GTFO'd from the danger in time.  Also seeing it interact with both Wicker and Willow was adorable.

2.  WTF with Willow being Maxwell's hit...woman, apparently?!
(2a:  Why...why the Willow doll.....?  Or is that just a standard doll that existed then, that happened to look kinda like Willow so someone gave it to her 'cos they thought it was cute?  As a kid, I once recieved a doll that happened to have my real-life name, so that can happen.)

3.  That library!  So sad.  Knowledge and beautiful buildings shouldn't be destroyed like that.

Spoiler

Also because I can, here's a screenshot from Sims 3 that that building made me think of.

wintertown.thumb.jpg.fddc11cf16df5bdb97c887b6a4976737.jpg

(I wanted to see if I was remembering it right.  The answer is:  kinda.  Also Sim-Wilson is making a snowman there, off to the left in front of the building.)

4.  Well, if all the information went straight into Wickerbottom's head, I guess now we know why she can't sleep...  (And imagine how much worse it would be NOW, with all the internet!  You'd go insane.  You'd just go straight up insane.)

...Notorious

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Very nice. Glad to see many of us made a compelling bookcase.

FTFY

Some funny quotes added in the refresh:

"Fishing is already time-consuming enough, I'm not reading a book too!" -Wanda (how DST players feel about fishing)
"Ha! Was this written by a spider? I won't let my guard down that easily." -Wanda

"Hey Webby-boy! Me learning all the Spiderfolk secrets!" -Wurt

"TO SUBJUGATE THE BEES MORE COMPLETELY" -WX

Edited by Bumber64
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Ninja 1

10 hours ago, Jason said:

On to the next update! Unfortunately, I can't share anything about this one yet, there is still work to be done "backstage". But - we'll make sure to share something well before "showtime". 

looks like next refresh is maxwell ;-)

Edited by _Hasan

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well after todays animated short, and a Quote In the game that since I had not been playing as Wickerbottom for a long time I had completely forgot…

Klei you got some Lore Explaining to do.

118E5221-A091-4375-BE8E-51205CD03116.thumb.png.42de2472e469207f09387370ba459506.png

To be fair, he did allow her to preserve the knowledge that she was willing to die in a fire for.
Without Maxwell, she'd have had no chance of saving the knowledge in those books, or even her own life. When he opened the portal into the Constant, she was ready to push her books in before she even thought of saving (or so she thought anyway) herself.
Not only could she preserve the knowledge of the books, all within her own mind, but she also got a pretty slim chance to survive and bring it back home to start the library anew. Though Maxwell obviously manipulated her, and caused her library to burn down, the only other alternative was definitely dying and all of the knowledge burning away.

Edited by kilobit
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Pruinae said:

image.png.aad44d41f38b8dfe7bdcc06217dcff73.png Yay!

On Xbox it’s still 4 living logs- and a single Treeguardian drops 6 when killed so I had the living logs in NO TIME, what I did not have and still do not have however is that damn feather pencil, the RNG of getting Crows to land in a Bird Trap then also killing it for the Black feather is just annoying.. it’s largely part of why when Klei tried to add this to the Cookbook Recipe, and to several of Wigfrids Song Scrolls the community pitched a fit-

Now the Cookbook is some weird easy recipe, while Wickers “Kit” needs this black feather- Personally I would prefer it if ANY feather could be used to craft this Feather Pen.. :wilson_cry:

• Big Ups 1

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

the RNG of getting Crows to land in a Bird Trap then also killing it for the Black feather is just annoying..

Boomerang, Gold Pellets as Walter, Sleepytime/Pan Flute then melee or Catcoon Pen are all fairly easy ways to get feathers. 

Setting up a Catcoon Pen in your base will give you an absolute ton of random feathers over time as well as plenty of rot and morsels, birchnuts amongst other bits and bobs including butter if you plant flowers in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

118E5221-A091-4375-BE8E-51205CD03116.thumb.png.42de2472e469207f09387370ba459506.png

Survivors inspect lines to Maxwell's statue have been altered in DST to show that their relationship with Maxwell has eased after living with him for a while.
If you're looking for Wickerbottom's take on being cheated by Maxwell, the lines in the single-player version might be more helpful.

statuemaxwell = "It's fashioned for the man who trapped me here."

• Like 7

ONE MORE TO GO

On to the next update! Unfortunately, I can't share anything about this one yet, there is still work to be done backstage. But - we'll make sure to share something well before showtime. 

Hmm... Does this mean that Wilson is not going to be changed/updated?

(edit) Never mind; checked the roadmap. There should be two more character refreshes. "One more to go" was not a meta reference.

Edited by Korejora

20 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

Judging by her quote she didin't know someone was inside the library(or at least she didin't know wickerbottom was working there)

What quote? Maybe I missed it or something. If that is true then she is slightly less evil.

21 hours ago, MrSoratori said:

Right?? Considering BERNIE! doesnt appear in the short I do think Maxwell kidnapped it and forced Willow to work for him or else it never give it back

But her face tho shes loving it so far

If she is being forced then I wouldn't blame her so much, but her face screams "Happy Happy Joy Joy." 

22 hours ago, Jason said:

Unfortunately, I can't share anything about this one yet, there is still work to be done backstage. But - we'll make sure to share something well before showtime. 

ITT: It's Maxwell's rework.

Me: It's gonna be a setting the stage update because there is still work to be done backstage .. before showtime. *cough* updates need to be done before we get the main content next year *cough*

Edited by lakhnish
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 6:37 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Well after todays animated short, and a Quote In the game that since I had not been playing as Wickerbottom for a long time I had completely forgot…

Screenshot_20220806-181241_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Screenshot_20220806-181241_Chrome.jpg

You guys are missing my point, I know what the single player versions quote for the Statue is, what I want to know… is what happened In Between Don’t Starve & Don’t Starve Together…

Maxwell is portrayed as not even being Human in DS “Trapped By a Demon” who changes physical appearance as you progress through story mode to become less and less Human looking, Yet in DST- he is Portrayed as being “Quite A sweet Boy” 

Charlie (who was also human & Winona’s Sister) Also changes physical Body form from being Human to being Demon looking- before BOTH her Human, and her Demon side Merge into Charlie.. as can be seen Here-

It is Almost as If Charlie has some sort of “Control” over her Body that prevents the Demon side from fully taking over Meanwhile- Wilson & Maxwell Both were shown to be trapped as Prisoners to the Throne.

You could say that the “Demon” could only take over one hosts body at a time and after leaving Maxwell it posses Charlie- But that would be Wrong because Charlie was Always “The Guru” that attacked you in complete Darkness in Solo DS- and in the Trailer above she’s already possessed with some sort of demon form before she ever frees Wilson.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What you not get?

Nothing happened in between ds and dst. Maxwell just survives with everyone now. Every time Maxwell player revives someone or gathers logs for base - he gets "sweet boy" points. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 8/4/2022 at 10:02 PM, minespatch said:

181140528_Maxwellcarnivalsideshowbarker.thumb.png.d4f3007eb182919bd06e4883248cf2f7.png

You need much appreciation for making an elaborate drawing with a reference joke in another fandom. You deserve a price. Here, have a head that's always screaming!

Edited by Falkenpelz
  • Haha 1

I haven't regularly played DS/DST in over a year, only starting up shortterm solo worlds at every character refresh.

For some reason, this update got me all hooked up, I'm loving it. Currently binching DST like it's the first time.

The bookshelf is AMAZING. I would have never thought that something THIS good could find its way into DST; but there you go. I was going blind into this update and forced a reed trap in my world, fearing I would spend most of my time farming reeds. Turns out, I'm hardly ever going to the swamp at all.

My favourite book is "Practical Rain Rituals" by far. While the waterlogged update helped a little bit with base locations, this is it. I can base whereever I want, summoning rain on demand and thus turning off wildfires aswell as antlion at will. This freedom of going whereever I want during summer on the surface feels soooooo good. If I had known, I might have turned off wildfires a long time ago.

To my suprise I really like the Angler's Survival Guide. I enjoy fishing now (which I did not before). Populating the coastline with fish for trawler nets is also pretty neat and makes for easy fish based foods.

I also find myself constantly trying out various uses for old books like "Sleepy Time Stories", thanks to the magical book recharching super shelf of doom. Want to shave some beefalo, kill some volt goats or simply stop bunnymen from running away?

Setting up some well known tentacle boss farms is also more interesting now. While fighting shadowcreatures is always an option, I find myself worrying about sanity quite a bit. I'm putting some effort into farming Jelly Salad / Ice Cream aswell as Surf'n'Turf and other sanity foods. (I'm drowning in nightmare fuel like everyone who does ruins regularly). I like this "new demand", it really makes me appreciate Wicker's 250 sanity.

I haven't found good uses for some of the books like "Overcoming Arachnophobia", but I also keep forgetting to try this or that in different situations, just because there are so many options now. 

I'm so happy with this update, I just had to share my feelings.

• Like 3