New crafting systems is very frustrating and slow to use

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Currently as an Xbox Controller user, I HATE the new Craft UI and it’s enough to (almost) completely put me off of playing the game- and since I know Klei keeps stats of like everything, they can probably view how much I played the game before Reworked Craft UI compared to how much less I play now with the New UI..

When I watch Twitch streams (Aka people playing on PC & usually with mods) it becomes pretty obvious WHO the Craft UI change was made for, as it just looks simplistic and easier to use with PC Drag & Drop Controls. But for Xbox controllers? It’s a bunch of Extra steps we use to did not have to take..

Now of course my Judgement of this new UI will obviously entirely depend on WHY Klei changed it to begin with (Aka hopefully 100-1000s of weapons and craftables and armor types etc they plan to put into the game in future updates) But in its current form- Where it didn’t really need changing and just feels like change for the sake of change/Betterment of KB/Mouse but more Tedious with Xbox controller??

In it’s Current form- All I’ve got to say is if it wasn’t broken… don’t attempt to fix it.

Again as I said: It’s going to depend on WHY Klei changed it.. for example if they add several new armor types then obviously it makes sense why Armor would now have its own fully dedicated category..

But if there’s no plans to add more armors, or weapon variety- Weapon+Armors should’ve been in the same category labeled Fight or whatever.

Also it is beyond annoying when I can pin a characters personal crafts to this tab which when I’m actually using that character is a convenience but when I am NOT… and I don’t have access to crafting that item without playing as that character- it’s an extra step of needing to Delete/Unpin that characters crafts to replace them with what I actually need.

Again this is Tedious and probably yet another feature they added to to go alongside some PC feature or Mod, but on Xbox? Yeah it doesn’t make much sense and it annoys me spending more time pinning/unpinning things I can’t even use… 

Klei SHOULD have had the game be smart enough to know if I use the celestial portal or play in a world where I’m Wolfgang- Then obviously I’m not going to need Wormwoods Composting wrap pinned in this tab and the game should’ve automatically replaced it with Wolfgang’s Dumbell or something to that effect.

But no it has to be Tedious.
I want to see WHY Klei changed the Craft UI and as of right now: We have yet to see any content updates that give it any valid reasoning.

This is so true!  I play on the PS4 so I use a PS4 controller, the new Craft UI wasn't made for console controllers in mind. It is so tedious and takes forever for me to do a simple thing.

I am with you on the amount of time I play now since the switch to the new craft UI. I don't want to use it at all, because it just feels like to much a chore to do.

I feel why change something that isn't broken, the old UI for me was so simple and easy to use. Also the screen looked nice. Now the screen looks a little clutter from how big it is.

I feel that that change had PC users in mind, and console users weren't thought of much.

There is my mod that improves the new menu, I advise you to get acquainted with the functionality:

The mod allows you to reduce the number of clicks, menu size, adds tabs and much more

I tried to make a vertical menu but due to the large number of filters it is impossible, only if you use the old number of filters

But I couldn't get the filters to work on the closed menu, so I dropped the idea.

image.thumb.png.23ac531d117ba7251bbe7fcc3d69d11a.pngimage.thumb.png.db35e296213e1d946a2bb6669cfe3c26.pngimage.thumb.png.c982cd9de533c82eadbfd9be66561d91.png

I actually don't mind the new system even on console. At times it is certainly a little bit more time consuming to make certain items however anything that requires other crafted items as part of the recipe is infinitely easier to craft now that you can make everything in one go while having the end result item selected. Also pinned recipes goes a long way to making it far easier and faster to craft items so long as they are pinned. Stuff like bundling wrap is an absolute dream to craft whereas before it was a nightmare.

I was pretty resistant to the new crafting system at first and thought I would absolutely hate it especially as a console player. It's actually really grown on me and I quite like it now, it doesn't have quite the same charm as the old system but it is definitely hands down better and easier to use once you know what you're doing and have a bunch of recipes pinned. 

Also I know not completely related but being able to use stuff in chests to craft and chest resources being used first was an absolute godsend, I'm only just starting to see just how good this feature is and it is crazy useful. 

Same with crafting using the smallest stacks you have first, my god that saves me so much inventory management. 

I saw a video of the only crafting menu on YouTube the other day. I am amazed at how archaic it looks after using the new menu. I am now used to the new menu, and would see the old menu as a downgrade. 

16 hours ago, Kyriena said:

This is so true!  I play on the PS4 so I use a PS4 controller, the new Craft UI wasn't made for console controllers in mind. It is so tedious and takes forever for me to do a simple thing.

I am with you on the amount of time I play now since the switch to the new craft UI. I don't want to use it at all, because it just feels like to much a chore to do.

I feel why change something that isn't broken, the old UI for me was so simple and easy to use. Also the screen looked nice. Now the screen looks a little clutter from how big it is.

I feel that that change had PC users in mind, and console users weren't thought of much.

I play on PC and PS4, and if anything I feel like it's an even bigger improvement for console than PC.

Your 90 or so (due to the 9 pinned pages) most crafted items are faster and more accessible, alongside being able to do any action while having them up.

Even during the few times you're crafting something less important, you can now move while doing so, and you only lose a few seconds, which really isn't a big loss.

I can understand the frustration of getting used to mandatory changes to the controls, but I strongly believe it's better for most players after taking the time to adjust to it.

Also, I know this has been said a lot already, but sadly these changes have to be mandatory for them to fit new crafting tabs, and there was no other option for the developers without entirely giving up on the new tabs.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, DajeKotlyar said:

I really like new system. After playing for a while in the one world you only need to craft just a few things, like helmet, weapon, axe/pickaxe, bundling thing. Just pin this recepies, and it's become a lot faster, then ever. Also now you shouldn't scroll for a while to craft a few cut stones, then scroll to craft electric things, then forgot to craft boards, then another time change tab to craft alchemy engine. Just click and hold on engine and that is!

why should I fill every single pin with recipes that used to be so easily accessible from old craft system? All my pings are filled up and I still having issues finding things I need. Not to mention I have to scroll between 10 different pins, which takes so much more time and often I forget where that item is in my pins. And there is still left dozens of items  unchecked. It's absolute horrible mess!

38 minutes ago, Icy Shield said:

why should I fill every single pin with recipes that used to be so easily accessible from old craft system? All my pings are filled up and I still having issues finding things I need. Not to mention I have to scroll between 10 different pins, which takes so much more time and often I forget where that item is in my pins. And there is still left dozens of items  unchecked. It's absolute horrible mess!

Idk, I filled 1 page and it's enough for me. What you attach to pins? Let's count:

Axe, pickaxe, shovel, helmet, spear or better weapon, ham bat, bundling wrap.

That's all. You really don't need anything else in regular game

It's like inventory management. If it's mess and you die cause you don't find a torch, it isn't game problem.

46 minutes ago, Icy Shield said:

I have 2 pins, first is for emergency (torch, firepits, armor, weapons), second my most often crafted items - most of it is tools.

You don't see the scalability problems with the old crafting system?

For me personally, i have 1500 hours in the game and i know a lot of stuff by name, so having the search function makes crafting much quicker. Plus you can view any recipe, even if you're not standing near a station. I am still not used to the new categories, but given the time to learn it, the new system is better in most aspects.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:08 AM, Just-guy said:

On PC you can scroll the mouse to change the skins of the item, it can also be done with a controller but I don't know the buttons

You have no idea how happy I am to learn this.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:38 AM, Psychic Chicken said:

I play on PC and PS4, and if anything I feel like it's an even bigger improvement for console than PC.

Your 90 or so (due to the 9 pinned pages) most crafted items are faster and more accessible, alongside being able to do any action while having them up.

Even during the few times you're crafting something less important, you can now move while doing so, and you only lose a few seconds, which really isn't a big loss.

I can understand the frustration of getting used to mandatory changes to the controls, but I strongly believe it's better for most players after taking the time to adjust to it.

Also, I know this has been said a lot already, but sadly these changes have to be mandatory for them to fit new crafting tabs, and there was no other option for the developers without entirely giving up on the new tabs.

I can understand people liking the new crafting UI, it does have more on it but it is so much smaller. Even when I am using my glasses everything looks tiny. The old UI was bigger and way easier on my eyes. It looks and feels cluttered and messy. The old crafting UI didn't have those issues in my opinion. Also having every character items in the crafting UI doesn't make much sense to me, sure you don't see them unless you look in the All tab but it just adds to to feel of it being cluttered. The old crafting UI just looks neating and nicer on the side. I know I am in the small group of people who dislike the new crafting UI and I accpet that.

If more people play the game after the Craft UI change then there were Before it then I guess you can say the change was a huge success? However- if your like me and have barely played the game since the UI changes (and I’m certainly not the only one.) if more people have stopped playing or play less frequently: then the UI change regardless of who likes/dislikes it.. is a Failure.

Statistics don’t lie.

I just want to see the big update/updates or Klei’s bigger picture that validate the UI changes.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If more people play the game after the Craft UI change then there were Before it then I guess you can say the change was a huge success? However- if your like me and have barely played the game since the UI changes (and I’m certainly not the only one.) if more people have stopped playing or play less frequently: then the UI change regardless of who likes/dislikes it.. is a Failure.

Statistics don’t lie.

I just want to see the big update/updates or Klei’s bigger picture that validate the UI changes.

as far as i remember the qol was in april

20220603_163203.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 8:58 AM, Kyriena said:

Eh? I play PS4 and its such an upgrade in my eyes. The old crafting was busted and annoying, with many items being piled into categories that didnt make sense. Nowadays, I never have to deal with not knowing where a crafting item is.

I respect your opinion, but Im saying that it is a much appreciated change for me. 

After a break of 1 year, I tried this new system on xbox. The 1st good thing is that for a solo player, it paused the game. Optionnal, but good enough to take time on first touch.

It takes more cliks, so it's longer. The menu is so big, it's very weird for only few icons.

The problem I have is moving the cursor. When I'm on left or right border, I would like to pass on the other side from one border.

Pins are good and very useful, but I tried on the 10 first days, on a new game. I still don't know what I will put on my 2400 days game.

It's definitely made for PC. I know that I'll never use the search bar for exemple. And I think, but it's maybe difficult to imagine it, that consoles could have their own system, made for controllers.

But as I'm playing solo, the pause option save this for now.

On 5/31/2022 at 3:52 PM, Mysterious box said:

Define most people because many I talked to either liked it or didn't take the time to learn how shortcuts worked and generally liked it better after being told about them.

I have no idea why people like the new ui. It is garbage. One of the most frustrating changes I've ever come across in any game. It's twenty times slower then the original to craft for me. Used to take me a couple seconds tops to craft now I'm a minute or more scrolling thru to find what I'm looking for. 

On 6/1/2022 at 2:30 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Currently as an Xbox Controller user, I HATE the new Craft UI and it’s enough to (almost) completely put me off of playing the game- and since I know Klei keeps stats of like everything, they can probably view how much I played the game before Reworked Craft UI compared to how much less I play now with the New UI..

When I watch Twitch streams (Aka people playing on PC & usually with mods) it becomes pretty obvious WHO the Craft UI change was made for, as it just looks simplistic and easier to use with PC Drag & Drop Controls. But for Xbox controllers? It’s a bunch of Extra steps we use to did not have to take..

Now of course my Judgement of this new UI will obviously entirely depend on WHY Klei changed it to begin with (Aka hopefully 100-1000s of weapons and craftables and armor types etc they plan to put into the game in future updates) But in its current form- Where it didn’t really need changing and just feels like change for the sake of change/Betterment of KB/Mouse but more Tedious with Xbox controller??

In it’s Current form- All I’ve got to say is if it wasn’t broken… don’t attempt to fix it.

Again as I said: It’s going to depend on WHY Klei changed it.. for example if they add several new armor types then obviously it makes sense why Armor would now have its own fully dedicated category..

But if there’s no plans to add more armors, or weapon variety- Weapon+Armors should’ve been in the same category labeled Fight or whatever.

Also it is beyond annoying when I can pin a characters personal crafts to this tab which when I’m actually using that character is a convenience but when I am NOT… and I don’t have access to crafting that item without playing as that character- it’s an extra step of needing to Delete/Unpin that characters crafts to replace them with what I actually need.

Again this is Tedious and probably yet another feature they added to to go alongside some PC feature or Mod, but on Xbox? Yeah it doesn’t make much sense and it annoys me spending more time pinning/unpinning things I can’t even use… 

Klei SHOULD have had the game be smart enough to know if I use the celestial portal or play in a world where I’m Wolfgang- Then obviously I’m not going to need Wormwoods Composting wrap pinned in this tab and the game should’ve automatically replaced it with Wolfgang’s Dumbell or something to that effect.

But no it has to be Tedious.
I want to see WHY Klei changed the Craft UI and as of right now: We have yet to see any content updates that give it any valid reasoning.

Well said,i agree 100 percent. Playing since it was released in 2013. Was my favourite game till now. I don't want to quit the game but it's turned me off so much I might have to. From another console user. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:38 AM, Psychic Chicken said:

Not sure how it's a bigger improvement to console over pc. The only improvement is to pc users here Imo. 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:44 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Statistics don’t lie.

I've barely played it either since the change. Its not fun anymore. More frustrating then anything. Just a mess. Spent countless hours memorizing the tabs and locations of items to this train wreck. 

I play on console too, and the new crafting menu is a godsend. I barely open the crafting menu now, got shortcuts for every item I commonly use, and when I do open it I just do a quick glance in favorites to find what I need. It's absolutely amazing. 

5 hours ago, BeeClops said:

I play on console too, and the new crafting menu is a godsend. I barely open the crafting menu now, got shortcuts for every item I commonly use, and when I do open it I just do a quick glance in favorites to find what I need. It's absolutely amazing. 

I agree, its very easy and quick to use due to the filters, favorites and pined items, it took a bit to get use to the new UI but I like it more than the previous one.

13 hours ago, Martinarse said:

Spent countless hours memorizing the tabs and locations of items to this train wreck. 

You are only describing the old menu. What needs to be memorized with the new one? 

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You are only describing the old menu. What needs to be memorized with the new one

Where everything is located and what crafts are located under what tab has to be memorized again and what order they are all in. I guess the muscle memory is gone.i could almost do it blindfolded before.now its just navigating 1 by 1 looking for specific items. Maybe in a couple months of retraining I'll get used to it. 

1 hour ago, Martinarse said:

Where everything is located and what crafts are located under what tab has to be memorized again and what order they are all in. I guess the muscle memory is gone.i could almost do it blindfolded before.now its just navigating 1 by 1 looking for specific items. Maybe in a couple months of retraining I'll get used to it. 

You don't have to memorize anything because the items are in tabs that make sense. If it's related to food it's in food. If it's a tool it's in tools. If it's armor it's in armor. If it's a weapon it's in weapons. If it's used to combat winter it's in winter. You only had to memorize things in the nonsensical old system, one of the many reasons it was replaced. 

4 hours ago, Martinarse said:

Where everything is located and what crafts are located under what tab has to be memorized again and what order they are all in.

There's really no need for memorization learning the locations of the recipes as they are better organized on what tabs they correspond than before, Ligthning Rod is in Rain Gear instead of the Science tab, Scaled Furnace in Light Sources and Winter Items instead of just the Structures tab and Birdcage is in Food & Farming instead of the Structures tab (for some reason being there in the first place).

On 6/1/2022 at 7:13 AM, Mysterious box said:

To be fair the forums represent a small amount of the playerbase and people who participate in these polls represent a even smaller percentage.

That's the point of a poll though. You take a sample size to represent the whole because polling the entire population in this instance is impractical. While your point of delimitations is valid, I believe that my polls results do represent the target population reasonably well. However, if you wanted to objectively disprove my claim or make a mirror poll on other sites i would glady welcome that. 

Archived