New crafting systems is very frustrating and slow to use

There is so much issues with flaws with it:

1) icons are too small
2) crafting window takes too much game screen space
3) It takes 3 times longer to craft for me something with amount clicks it required.
4) favouring some crafts can be useful, but not when I making a lot of different crafts, which required again a lot of clicks
5) You can't fav crafting tabs, which is more convenient than favouring  each and individual item separately
6) You can't change skins in fav tabs, so you are forced go back main menu craft to adjust it
7) I don't want to craft at all because how tedious, time consuming this new crafting system is.

The only positive thing about it is that character craft required materials for craft automatically. Everything else is just frustration

10 minutes ago, Icy Shield said:

icons are too small

You can change the UI size on the menu options

favouring some crafts can be useful, but not when I making a lot of different crafts, which required again a lot of clicks

That would also have happened with the old system

You can't change skins in fav tabs, so you are forced go back main menu craft to adjust it

On PC you can scroll the mouse to change the skins of the item, it can also be done with a controller but I don't know the buttons

57 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

You can change the UI size on the menu options

That would also have happened with the old system

On PC you can scroll the mouse to change the skins of the item, it can also be done with a controller but I don't know the buttons

I need icon UI size adjustment, not make crafting window make even bigger and take even more space of game screen

In old crafting menu you drag your mouse on crafting tab that you need and click on item you want. In new one you drag your mouse and click on main crafting on top left, drag your mouse to find and click on crafting tab, double click on item you want. That's 3(4) clicks AND you need keep moving your mouse between all these crafting windows that pop out in different spots.
While on old menu you only need click on crafting tab  you need (which already displayed) and pick item from that crafting tab  = 2 clicks.  Scrolling down on old crafting menu if items isn't on top isn't much issue and doesn't require additional crafting window pop-outs that takes so much game screen. The game remember where you scroll down and wont reset position (telling you  this just in case if you bring straw man argument about scrolling down pillar type item list)

There is no option to change skin in fav tab that I know of. Scrolling in there doesn't work. Only from main menu craft before adding it to fav tab, but from there out - it will be permanent  that skin until you replace by deleting it and adding it again

It’s way better than having to scroll for all sorts of recipes, in my view. Also, the ability to craft the ingredients for an item helps immensely with user-friendliness.

I think you’re in the minority who still does not like it after all this time. (which is fine, you’re allowed to be that way)

39 minutes ago, ssbb said:

It’s way better than having to scroll for all sorts of recipes, in my view. Also, the ability to craft the ingredients for an item helps immensely with user-friendliness.

I think you’re in the minority who still does not like it after all this time. (which is fine, you’re allowed to be that way)

no im not. Most people in game agrees that new craft system is bad and need rework

42 minutes ago, ssbb said:

ability to craft required ingredients can be easily added to old craft system and  for Scrolling you can just add second column - doubling displayed items on scroll bar. Easy and simple fix for Klei to do.

5 minutes ago, Icy Shield said:

no im not. Most people in game agrees that new craft system is bad and need rework

Define most people because many I talked to either liked it or didn't take the time to learn how shortcuts worked and generally liked it better after being told about them.

image.thumb.png.ffd9b1785aad495cec41972be2ea58da.png

image.thumb.png.ab95f590094d71c7526214d35f2824d2.png

These are from a poll a month after the crafting UI changed and the majority of players were at least satisfied with the change.

My only complaint would be the double clicking to craft. Not pleasant. I'm unsure why it's that way, perhaps due to the quick craft pinning functions? I'd much prefer if it was a single click, and that adding things to quick bar was done through either dragging or simply clicking a slot first to enter a "pin recipe mode".

Adding an icon-sizing option would be nice I suppose. And perhaps being able to drag the window's edge to make it more narrow? If this was the setup then I'd imagine you would only need to open the crafting menu and leave it on the everything tab. A pretty close experience to the old crafting UI.

Maybe have the categories still arranged vertically to the left of the screen?

Though I'm not sure about skins. Scrolling only makes sense in the quickbar, since you'd want to actually scroll in the big menu. Maybe holding down on the crafting button to get those options up? Or right clicking, though that sounds like it could interfere with gameplay.

EDIT, mockup, why not
bild.thumb.png.10d28b0e49e2e095ce830ab287a95250.png

1 hour ago, Just-guy said:

image.thumb.png.ffd9b1785aad495cec41972be2ea58da.png

image.thumb.png.ab95f590094d71c7526214d35f2824d2.png

These are from a poll a month after the crafting UI changed and the majority of players were at least satisfied with the change.

To be fair the forums represent a small amount of the playerbase and people who participate in these polls represent a even smaller percentage.

Tbh biggest problem of old crafting menu was fact of both too many and not enough crafting tabs, like we have multiple tabs available only when you near something and they aren't very big, yet we had "survival" tab being literally trash bin for recipes that klei devs couldn't find a tab for (funny how most of them are now in tools tab) and all Beefalo related items being in tools (even if it's a structure), now we got more organized tabs that are easier to use and can share same crafts in multiple tabs, yes when it just came out i was lost in it too some times but it was mainly because items like bug net being in tabs that actually makes sense and not in some trash bin

I quite like the crafting menu. It took a while to get used to it. Definitely had to enlarge the crafting tab so I could actually see the icons. It's useful to set up a few pages like an early game page (hammer, shovel, football helmet, spear, torch, science machine, alchemy engine), a pseudoscience page, a refine page, a base structure page (chests, ice boxes, crock pots, fire pits, lightning rods), and whatever else you can think of.

There's also a favorites tab which admittedly I've yet to use. I actually just type a lot for crafting. To me it's faster than the old system.

One thing that bothers me though: you can't craft out of chests. You have to actually hold the item from the chest if you want to craft with it. The worst part is it doesn't start using up the stack you're holding, but it grabs directly from the other stacks in the chest instead. Am I perhaps doing something wrong? It just feels unintuitive.

11 minutes ago, EighteenXVIII said:

One thing that bothers me though: you can't craft out of chests. You have to actually hold the item from the chest if you want to craft with it. The worst part is it doesn't start using up the stack you're holding, but it grabs directly from the other stacks in the chest instead. Am I perhaps doing something wrong? It just feels unintuitive.

Crafting out of open chests was added during the Crafting Menu QoL. And here is the new item priority:

• Item Priority for crafting has been changed to the following:
    • Crafting will attempt to choose items with the smallest stack size
    • All open containers except backpacks first
      • If stack counts are the same, it will choose items closer to the bottom of the container.
    • Your inventory is next
      • If stack counts are the same, it will choose items closest to the left side of your inventory.
    • Your backpack is next
      • If stack counts are the same, it will choose items closest to the left side(integrated backpack) or top(separated backpack) of your backpack.
    • Finally, if you have an item on your mouse cursor, it will try that item.

Think of it this way. The old menu's horizontal design was up-to-date back when DS did not have many craftable items. But now, we have dozens upon dozens of items that could not possibly be represented well with the old menu's design. Plus it was just plain ugly and you couldnt see how to make things in other stations without being right next to it.

So far all of your complaints have been solved and explained by others. I hope you can get used to the new look.

Currently as an Xbox Controller user, I HATE the new Craft UI and it’s enough to (almost) completely put me off of playing the game- and since I know Klei keeps stats of like everything, they can probably view how much I played the game before Reworked Craft UI compared to how much less I play now with the New UI..

When I watch Twitch streams (Aka people playing on PC & usually with mods) it becomes pretty obvious WHO the Craft UI change was made for, as it just looks simplistic and easier to use with PC Drag & Drop Controls. But for Xbox controllers? It’s a bunch of Extra steps we use to did not have to take..

Now of course my Judgement of this new UI will obviously entirely depend on WHY Klei changed it to begin with (Aka hopefully 100-1000s of weapons and craftables and armor types etc they plan to put into the game in future updates) But in its current form- Where it didn’t really need changing and just feels like change for the sake of change/Betterment of KB/Mouse but more Tedious with Xbox controller??

In it’s Current form- All I’ve got to say is if it wasn’t broken… don’t attempt to fix it.

Again as I said: It’s going to depend on WHY Klei changed it.. for example if they add several new armor types then obviously it makes sense why Armor would now have its own fully dedicated category..

But if there’s no plans to add more armors, or weapon variety- Weapon+Armors should’ve been in the same category labeled Fight or whatever.

Also it is beyond annoying when I can pin a characters personal crafts to this tab which when I’m actually using that character is a convenience but when I am NOT… and I don’t have access to crafting that item without playing as that character- it’s an extra step of needing to Delete/Unpin that characters crafts to replace them with what I actually need.

Again this is Tedious and probably yet another feature they added to to go alongside some PC feature or Mod, but on Xbox? Yeah it doesn’t make much sense and it annoys me spending more time pinning/unpinning things I can’t even use… 

Klei SHOULD have had the game be smart enough to know if I use the celestial portal or play in a world where I’m Wolfgang- Then obviously I’m not going to need Wormwoods Composting wrap pinned in this tab and the game should’ve automatically replaced it with Wolfgang’s Dumbell or something to that effect.

But no it has to be Tedious.
I want to see WHY Klei changed the Craft UI and as of right now: We have yet to see any content updates that give it any valid reasoning.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Again as I said: It’s going to depend on WHY Klei changed it.. for example if they add several new armor types then obviously it makes sense why Armor would now have its own fully dedicated category.

It got changed because of items being all over the place in tabs that were too general to have their own items

like how bird cage was in structures for some reason, or how lightning rod was in science

now its way more easy for a new player to figure out by themselves what they need, if they are having problems with storage, they should check the storage solutions filter, and if they are having trouble with wetness, they will check the rain filter

I personally dont use a controller but im guessing that part is frustrating, i hope klei revisits that someday

Both crafting systems had their pros and their cons.

The pros of the old system was that is was very artisticly unique and took up a lot less screen space than the old one. When you had materials available to make something, it was very easy to see what tab you can make the stuff at (unlike the new system).

The cons was that adding new crafting tabs wasn't possible without adding new structures where you could only craft those items at, trying to view every recipe wasn't possible without standing next to key stations, and some stuff wasn't ordered in a good spot.

I see the new system as just an inverse of the pros and cons above, but with some bonuses.

And not gonna lie, with the new system, I still have trouble finding stuff at times and I find myself having to use the search bar not b/c I wanted to but because I had to (it normally happens for the structure tab for me since that tab has tons of items, but it happens for other items too).

Because of these reasons, I personally view the crafting system as a trade from one system to another rather than a complete improvement, unlike RWYS, which improved farming in just about every aspect.

I gave all the feedback I could during the beta and lots of it was implemented. It's just comes down to the nature of how the new system is designed.

I really like new system. After playing for a while in the one world you only need to craft just a few things, like helmet, weapon, axe/pickaxe, bundling thing. Just pin this recepies, and it's become a lot faster, then ever. Also now you shouldn't scroll for a while to craft a few cut stones, then scroll to craft electric things, then forgot to craft boards, then another time change tab to craft alchemy engine. Just click and hold on engine and that is!

Archived