Analysis Of The WX-78 Animated Short.

I'd add some stuff that make me think there is more:
1. Description has 0 and 1 binary code translating to: too late too late too late
2. There is available switch on youtube for annotations, but there is no one (or at least you normally don't see it)
3. The letters, espetialy last sequence contains an "N" at end.

• Wagstaff and WX built the portal together.
  • Wagstaff deliberately "pushed" WX into the portal
  • The Pigmen have spears. Battle Spears, to be precise, all the while Wigfrid has a scratch and a basic spear.
  • WX at one point made multiple versions of the robot.

10 minutes ago, pyroisshy said:

So is WX-78 non binary for real or did they just forget about their entire life as a human? Can Klei comment on this before the forum explodes please

I mean, WX still refers to other machines using gendered terms, so probably enby

What a silly thing to talk about!

2 minutes ago, . . . said:

wow. every post about wx always turns to gender somehow now i remember why i never click on them

Yes, who cares. WX is a robot, if you relate to them and want them to be non binary thats great. If others relate to them and want them to be a male or a female, then great.  

As far as the short is concerned the silhoutte for WX as a human is ambiguous for this very reason.

My best guess is that the human that became Wx was Wagstaff's friend/father who was very ill. Wx was their way of 'treating' his illness. Or just escaping dying of old age. Y'know science-fiction-style.

I'm saying that cuz the person's silhouette looks like he might be balding and have a beard; classic way to show an old man.

7 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

My best guess is that the human that became Wx was Wagstaff's friend/father who was very ill. Wx was their way of 'treating' his illness. Or just escaping dying of old age. Y'know science-fiction-style.

I'm saying that cuz the person's silhouette looks like he might be balding and have a beard; classic way to show an old man.

Idk, Wagstaff seems to be too based for caring about this

Also, I think that wx didn't have a beard and it's hair just was long-ish

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

The real question is did their name start with a ''W''. I guess if they were a relative of Wagstaff then that rings true. 

Actually where did the name WX -78 even come from? Since there are multiple body shells, perhaps this is the successful 78th attempt at creating WX. But then what about the WX part. As far as naming conventions the rat we see is name IA4, so WX is unique to them. Perhaps WX is the humans initials?

I believe all the scenes are from WX-78 point of view, since we are seeing his memory.

Which would mean WX-78 was the one who wrote the part of "biological components are faulty", and the one who had the idea to swap them for mechanical parts, and probably the one who though it would be a good idea to transfer to a mechanical body, since it was the one who used the helmet voluntarily.

My guess is, after a while WX-78 started having flashbacks from its human body, and maybe concluded its mechanical components were to blame (the empathy module not working by this point, probably misinterpreting what its was sensing from its new body)

At around 1:22, you can see the blueprints being discarded followed by a flashback with new robotical bodies and more experiments made by WX-78, then an argument with Wagstaff in a room with new robot models followed by Wagstaff burning the experiments in the fire. This is also what the backstory on the compendium says.

After the flashback ends, and when WX-78 suddenly feels a sense of humanity for the first time since the transfer took place, and after everything comes crashing down and reality sets in, WX-78 just grabs the empathy module and rips it out, finishing off its human part for good.

3 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Screenshot_20220429_015953.thumb.jpg.33ec217be032bab3c8acf668460ea0fd.jpg

Something i fixated on is Wickerbottom aging to the point of having pure white hair. 

Perhaps that will have implications in the future rework

Wickerbottom will age over time and as she does her ability with her books get stronger. She gets a new teleportation book and a book that deals a lotta damage. instead of health she gets a book meter

2 minutes ago, sudoku said:

The real question is did their name start with a ''W''. I guess if they were a relative of Wagstaff then that rings true. 

Actually where did the name WX -78 even come from? Since there are multiple body shells, perhaps this is the successful 78th attempt at creating WX. But then what about the WX part. As far as naming conventions the rat we see is name IA4, so WX is unique to them. Perhaps WX is the humans initials?

Voxola and Wagstaff had a peculiar naming system so it likely ties in that way. 

PR-76 was the radio

ML-77 was the gramophone

WX-78

9 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Screenshot_20220429_015953.thumb.jpg.33ec217be032bab3c8acf668460ea0fd.jpg

Something i fixated on is Wickerbottom aging to the point of having pure white hair. 

Perhaps that will have implications in the future rework

The background characters  in that whole intro and end scene looked rough. I think it was just an oversight. It wouldnt really make sense to have Wickerbottom age especially since we already have Wanda

At the beginning we see Wagstaff or human Wx noting down "specimen displays erratic behaviour - organic part to blame?" right after seeing the half-mechanical mouse. So there was clearly some stuff going on with creating Cyborg-creatures and to suspect that the organic part is what makes a being act "erratic" is a rather cynical view on life. The two were either trying to create the "perfect" creature that could perform tasks better than human beings, trying to cure sickness through replacing bodyparts or were going even as far as searching for human immortality. I'd suspect them both to fit into the mad/immoral scientist category, but I can't quite tell, who the greater madman was in the end.

1 hour ago, pyroisshy said:

So is WX-78 non binary for real or did they just forget about their entire life as a human? Can Klei comment on this before the forum explodes please

Wx is literally a thing a machine. It can't have sex.

It seems the survivors may have been raided by pigmen as seen by the destruction caused at the camp (possibly due to Wurt's presence). They either stole or were given battle spears and Wigfrid received some injuries.

Hear me out, I know JEff Agala called the person "wagstaff" on their tumblr blog, but what if the person with the glove that Winona was trying to save in the portal in "last of kin" is the husk of a shell that WX used to be? A human corpse still alive but missing components?

From Wx previous quotes, he hated organic things and close to machinery. This shows that his self-awareness is a machine, and his hate on organic things may be due to the "organic components to blame" written on a piece of paper in the film.

Therefore, I conclude that Wx wants to totally give up his identity as an assistant of Wagstaff (together with the memory, since Wx finally crushed the circuit) and become a new "noble" mechanical life

Archived