Analysis Of The WX-78 Animated Short.

4 minutes ago, dish-order man said:

Therefore, I conclude that Wx wants to totally give up his identity as an assistant of Wagstaff (together with the memory, since Wx finally crushed the circuit) and become a new "noble" mechanical life

Like a spy for a tyrannical regime to save their skin?

10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Here me out, I know JEff Agala called the person "wagstaff" on their tumblr blog, but what if the person with the glove that Winona was trying to save in the portal in "last of kin" is the husk of a shell that WX used to be? A human corpse still alive but missing components?

Ah yes, Wagstaff kept WX's human body just to chuck it in the portal 20 years later.

I'm guessing the consciousness transference WX-78 uses to become a robot eventually turned into the non-coporeal projection Wagstaff uses to appear in Hamlet and DST? He only seemed to burn the spare robot bodies.

The short shows WX discarding Wagstaff's blueprints that they both used to make WX-78 and then it cuts to images of a completely different looking robot being smashed up (probably Wagstaff's). We're then shown Wagstaff shocked at seing a bunch of WX-78-looking robots being built.

My theory is that human WX always hated organic life (we're seeing the flashback through only THEIR eyes, clearly) and when they became a robot they became disgusted with their humanity and decided to unplug their empathy module, becoming entirely robotic. We see in another blueprint that the empathy module is directly connected to the consciousness transference helmet, so it probably serves as the storage device for a human's 'soul'.

(Winona briefly plugging WX's empathy module back in is the canonical explaination as to why WX-78 only now has access to all these upgrades in their rework, it's knowledge from their human life.)

WX probably built all those clearly lifeless copies of themselves with the intent to transfer other humans into them, so they too can reject their humanity (which they see as the ideal form of existance). Wagstaff at the time found that idea horrific and pushed WX into the Constant using the same portal that we see in Winona's trailer. It wouldn't hurt to suggest that that'd make WX the first successful user of Wagstaff's portal.

What I want to know is, how many of Wagstaff's inventions are actually HIS? He previously claimed that WX-78 was HIS design, but this trailer shows that to be false. Could most of his inventions actually partly or FULLY be invented by WX? Did Wagstaff banish WX in order to take credit for all their inventions? We already know from Hamlet that Wagstaff isn't a very moral person.

Winona doesn't seem to have any recollection of Wagstaff having a partner, so I think WX went 'missing' a long time before the Voxola factory burnt down. Because we now know that WX's fire quote 'IT REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING' - is referencing Wagstaff burning all of their research, and not the Voxola factory fire.

...Also, about WX's original human body. In the first ever trailer for Don't Starve, Wilson makes a portal to the Constant using his own blood and a bunch of live animals. I have a feeling Wagstaff needed a spare human body in order to make his own portal...
We never actually make a portal or a Maxwell's door in-game, remember? Only upgrades with moonrocks.

9 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Then why destroy the other wx prototypes? He seems to be removing loose ends to protect his identity.

I think him burning the prototypes shows that he deemed the experiment a failure, which explains why he pushed WX in the portal.

1 minute ago, LinknAllie said:

image.thumb.png.e0e8775ebc6f322bbf0057f3be74a3fc.png

At certain points you can see flashes of other Automata or parts.  Mainly towards the end before the argument with Wagstaff

Wow that little robot is so cute. WX should have been able to build an army of these little guys for his rework, sorry Jimmy

I like to think in the heated argument between Wagstaff and WX, Wagstaff probably said something like "I made you" or "You are my creation", which crossed the line with WX.

WX being told that they are nothing but a tool to Wagstaff is heart breaking because WX was Wagstaff's trusted lab partner.

One of the cogs in his heart seems like a time piece from Wanda, since it has 2 hands (and it makes his heart tick (?)) so either she helped in the creation in some way, she gave/sold Wagstaff a few pieces or Wagstaff stole them / her research. It would also make sense as to why WX-78 went insane, as shadow fuel artifacts make you insane... with some exceptions.
What I don't fully understand is how WX-78 apparently doesn't need a heart anymore.
EDIT: Looking at WX's description for time pieces they state "INCOMPATIBLE HARDWARE", but Wanda's time pieces made in the constant might be different / a more advanced version than the simple cog seen in the video, specially since her quote states "It's no small feat to recreate small, precise mechanisms out in the wilderness."

Just now, Juanasdf said:

What I don't fully understand is how WX-78 apparently doesn't need a heart anymore.

It wasn't a literal heart in that it functioned how hearts in organic creatures may. It was their empathy module, and when it was fully restored, they had remembered all their past memories and all their human emotions came soaring through them.

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It wasn't a literal heart in that it functioned how hearts in organic creatures may. It was their empathy module, and when it was fully restored, they had remembered all their past memories and all their human emotions came soaring through them.

Ah I see, honestly without knowing that, I was going to theorize something about Shadow fuel being stronger in the constant and its heart leaving some kind of repercussions on WX-78 for having it inside them for such a long time, similar to how shadow fuel consumed the ancients but to a lesser degree.

1 hour ago, Nickolai said:

I like to think in the heated argument between Wagstaff and WX, Wagstaff probably said something like "I made you" or "You are my creation", which crossed the line with WX.

WX being told that they are nothing but a tool to Wagstaff is heart breaking because WX was Wagstaff's trusted lab partner.

How I saw it, I thought it was more along the lines of Wagstaff telling WX that enough was enough and they should cease the creation of more automatons and WX arguing to Wagstaff that what they were doing could have the potential to be revolutionary technology, as to me it seems that they were fixated on cybernetics/robotic augmentation and were adamant that the process could be perfected. 

Whether it was fear of what these automatons were capable of or Wagstaff not liking what his friend had become, he decided to burn any remnants of the machines and pushed his friend into the constant. 

Maybe that's also another reason why WX hates organic beings, as apart from thinking that organic parts make robots less efficient, having your hard work that you believe to advance humanity by a few decades, destroyed by your close colleague and then sent away into an unknown world would definitely lead you to think that humans are the scum of the earth.

Forgive my horrible tracing but this is what I saw when I he was looking into his reflection in the short.  The seemingly white or greying hair around the edges also seems to signify that he's also old like Wagstaff.  Probably why he decided to put himself into a robot body to begin with.

image.thumb.png.30fe06c27c1e92dc790befdbe6e96a93.png

5 hours ago, CremeLover said:

I believe all the scenes are from WX-78 point of view, since we are seeing his memory.

Which would mean WX-78 was the one who wrote the part of "biological components are faulty", and the one who had the idea to swap them for mechanical parts, and probably the one who though it would be a good idea to transfer to a mechanical body, since it was the one who used the helmet voluntarily.

My guess is, after a while WX-78 started having flashbacks from its human body, and maybe concluded its mechanical components were to blame (the empathy module not working by this point, probably misinterpreting what its was sensing from its new body)

At around 1:22, you can see the blueprints being discarded followed by a flashback with new robotical bodies and more experiments made by WX-78, then an argument with Wagstaff in a room with new robot models followed by Wagstaff burning the experiments in the fire. This is also what the backstory on the compendium says.

After the flashback ends, and when WX-78 suddenly feels a sense of humanity for the first time since the transfer took place, and after everything comes crashing down and reality sets in, WX-78 just grabs the empathy module and rips it out, finishing off its human part for good.

Getting Viktor vibes from this

for those who dont know who viktor is: https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Viktor

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

Here me out, I know JEff Agala called the person "wagstaff" on their tumblr blog, but what if the person with the glove that Winona was trying to save in the portal in "last of kin" is the husk of a shell that WX used to be? A human corpse still alive but missing components?

Maybe WX was Wagstaff's sibling or other relative, so they were both Wagstaff.

8 hours ago, RoseAppraiser said:

Voxola and Wagstaff had a peculiar naming system so it likely ties in that way. 

PR-76 was the radio

ML-77 was the gramophone

WX-78

Are the numbers years, or does that not fit in with the existing timeline?

Edit: Nope. Must just be invention number.

7 hours ago, Scrumch said:

What I want to know is, how many of Wagstaff's inventions are actually HIS? He previously claimed that WX-78 was HIS design, but this trailer shows that to be false. Could most of his inventions actually partly or FULLY be invented by WX? Did Wagstaff banish WX in order to take credit for all their inventions? We already know from Hamlet that Wagstaff isn't a very moral person.

Wagstaff confirmed as Thomas Edison.

I noticed this gear with clock hands at the very end of the short among the blueprints. Now, this does not confirm any relation to Wanda; however, i think it’s worth pointing out. Also I mentioned that you can see wx working on the wagstaff portal in another thread, however upon further rewatching I’ve noticed you can actually see the top of it in another part of the short. This implies that Wagstaff and WX worked on the portal together for quite a while, and perhaps it was very important to Wagstaff.

I mentioned this in a thread before the WX rework released, but I’ve always wondered about why WX and Wagstaff both have interest in Lunar Shenanigans. Now that we know they were once colleagues, perhaps their shared desire isn’t a coincidence. Perhaps together they were researching alter before WX turned themselves into a robot.

044D420A-ABDE-4D73-BEBB-A0A7B075B55E.jpeg

8A435E96-D999-482F-9650-007FA9C67A0D.jpeg

2078214635_QQ20220429122545.thumb.png.47f85c36a249e311b62ca0e1e4e6f8fc.png

work clothes

Observe semi-mechanical creatures

1740373137_QQ20220429121309.thumb.png.80ffef47e315b6150b875fc8f8f3abd8.png350818474_QQ20220429121040.thumb.png.b9906b5264a562cb8d9f948975a159f0.png1825866105_QQ20220429121100.thumb.png.f607cb84692c4c762e0b2869e31f9609.png

452581954_QQ20220429111531.thumb.png.5228824cb72078c91a4405cc121d2674.png

Awareness upload,work clothes & drawings

Silhouette of original identity

746738139_QQ20220429111719.thumb.png.a07c3a38eb3b4acf6a38a9290e187b5a.png1933641252_QQ20220429121331.thumb.png.4bc3b5a031f09aa1f63632ccab3a09c3.png

Mechanical structure

1373930500_QQ20220429122928.thumb.png.6883b16b896ff26bbd34696347b9bbb4.png

1327239069_QQ20220429122940.thumb.png.6e88ca735e85e8025826db4008a62dfb.png

A dispute over more mechanical creatures

995933039_QQ20220429122817.thumb.png.e0fceb0b75ecb6825410507041f18256.png

wx78 destroy all the drawings in anger

1054672597_QQ20220429123046.thumb.png.84370226d82c389936aa1e654b77497a.png

Wagstaff destroyed all other robots.

1507545211_QQ20220429111833.thumb.png.c8004d1fb9f3e5d9f5faf27f203a86e9.png

Wagstaff watching him calmly be sent to ……

1155143186_QQ20220429121607.thumb.png.7d6a3b44a5f1d3a17f056911873e5d8d.png1515596446_QQ20220429121628.thumb.png.85929ee0bfc65539aefce545c49d2f7c.png

After recalling, he destroyed the part representing human beings.

QQ截图20220429121458.png

There seems to be numbers and symbols sprinkled throughout the video, very reminiscent of the first game's update trailers. The most prominent is right after whoever WX used to be puts on the helmet. There's definitely some numbers, ones I've been able to make out are 3, 9, 6 and possibly 19? The others are symbols though.

Archived