Spoiler

What's a good player exactly? What are the requirements to be a good player? Does someone have Klei's number so we can get their take on this?

What do you think a good player is in DST. 

Like, is there a best player? What would the best player be like? They would probably be good at the game. Ungodly good.

How do we decide who's the best DST player? Do we like, make then joust the other best player? Can they joust. I think the best DST player should be able to joust. Maybe not. But it would be cool if the best DST player could joust or atleast have a pet crocodile or something. Maybe the pet crocodiles could joust instead. That would be pretty gnarly.

What do you think is a novice, advanced and expert player? What are your requirements for each?

Everyone has their own perspective do I'd like to see the perspectives of others. Maybe some of you will think a advanced player is a person who can kill Celestial Champion on all platforms while cooking a beef Wellington and driving their kids to school all at the same time, under 5 minutes. Maybe most of you will actually be reasonable. Who knows. 

My opinion on the good and the bad.

I think a good player is someone who can:

Survive to day 300.

Kill most raid bosses.

Make base.

Craft a axe.

I think a bad player is.

you

Someone who dies before winter.

Probably doesn't know about the alchemist engineer.

Dies to basic encounters like hounds and pigs.

If someone can't kill BQ within 40 seconds of spawning in they are basically trash. I do it all the time, trust me. I would record it to show you but my camcorder broke. And I can't reproduce it on a server with you because, uh, my internet died. But I can totally do it, all the time, it's super easy.

The best players are the ones who play the game and enjoy it, the worst players are the ones that play and always complain.

Im not sure what category I would fit into I enjoy the game but there’s so so much to complain about (like Wendy’s still currently broken Pipspook Mini-Game)

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

the worst players are the ones that play and always complain.

image.png.795326672ed18b69dbfd40c7edbeca94.png

For topic, DST is quite a hard game to gauge a good player. In DS there's Adventure Mode that you can use to gauge how good you are (and the XP system). But I guess a good player is someone who can conquer the constant and can survive for long time, making a well-equipped base.

A very good player is someone who can do things like rushing ruins, defeating raid bosses solo.

And superplayers are megabasers I guess. I can't make a good giant base.

I think a player that behaves respectful to others, really puts an effort into learning new things and helps the team thinking in a way where everyone can have fun is a true good player, independently of how long can they survive or how fast can they do things.

As far as beginner, intermediate and advanced I usually see it like this:

Beginner usually lacks much knowledge of the game and therefore does not know yet how to solve many situations. They do what they can to survive.

Intermediate already knows how to solve a lot or most situations they have to handle, although perhaps they  still have problems in the execution of some things (some bosses, some enemies, certain situations they have trouble facing yet despite knowing them well)

Advanced players have already experienced all there is of the game and have their own daily personal quests in it: Be it become more efficient/faster at killing certain bosses, refine their skill, make more beautiful bases, automate new things, get out of the known solutions and try to invent new solutions for known situations, etc. 

i found the player that really hard to play with is when they have a bit of knowledge but acting like they know everything .. so when given advice they will be "nah man... " then something broke, burn, lost or he die to some stupid stuff i warn him a sec ago then complaining 

aside from that probably they can be categorized as good player :wilson_confused:

Average player can survive indefinitely without fighting anything that he doesn't need to, doesn't go for bosses and doesn't use best meta items.

Good player can kill all bosses that give worthwhile loot that makes you progress, doesn't need to be a perfect no hit kill even if they use a lot of food and armor, it is okay as long as they can get the kill and they know what are best items and what to focus in the early game.

Expert player can speedrun ruins and boss kills, they are getting better and better after each run as they already know what they need to do and obviously megabasers are included here. While they may not technically do speedruns, they usually know the most about the game since they spend a lot more time playing compared to players that usually just reset worlds after 100-200 days.

I like to think that a good DST player is one that can adapt given the situation. Sure, you can host your own world and play alone and have everything perfectly planned out and follow through without flaw, which is an impressive feat given the RNG and random generation provided.
A majority of my gameplay has been on pubs or with friends and from some of my experiences, the servers proved to be quite chaotic and I'd have to end up surviving in the caves/going out in the midst of Winter with nothing but a torch and my immediate inventory to get thermal stones for others who are tied to getting food so the residential Wolfgang (pre-refresh) wouldn't starve to death. The players and myself weren't perfect and could've done much more at the time, but I had a lot of fun and we ended up not dying! We avoided the Deerclops entirely too.

So, I think a good player is someone who can adapt to their environment and also... you know... not starve :wilson_laugh:

There aren't really any "good" or "bad" players I'd say.
Everything just boils down to if they're a new player, what their playstyle ultimately ends up being and how they choose to talk about that all, that, at least to me, says more about a player than if they survived a certain time or can kill bosses easily (and even then being "good" is usually not one of the things this tells me).

Obviously people can subjectively think someone is a good player based on a few things or views, but ultimately there's no defacto way of measuring that in general. One player can specialize in killing bosses, while another specializes in building pretty looking bases. One isn't better than the other, they just do different things more frequently than the other and thus excell in that task.
There's no objective way to say someone is a good player (at least in my eyes).

Sure, it take's a certain bottomline amount of skill and knowledge to survive or take down certain bosses or build things a certain way, but those come with enough playtime and eventually anyone reaches a point where these things aren't a big problem. Be it surviving past a certain day, taking down bosses, megabasing, building huge farms or whatever else.

It's easy to want to find a general way of gauging what types of players are, but DST at its core is sandbox survival. And it's the sandbox part that is the clue here, there is never a single right answer, unlike a cut and dry strategy game, or an rpg, or whatever else. So ultimately what one would define as good for themselves is potentially gonna be radically different from someone else's view.

Archived