On 4/23/2022 at 3:34 AM, SecretPizzaMan said:

What's a good player exactly?

some characters can offer a easy way to acomplish goals and not even need that much skill
HOWEVER,

a plyer who can make any character do the same tasks for me is the one

like,

wx can rush the ruins with ease. Wendy easily kill beequeen. But if u can do it with any character, so u r good at ruins rush
same with battles

or base buildin

a lotta in the game is about knowledge and this adds, and exactly cuz of that u can do the same task in many differents ways, dependin of what the player have in hands or what they are able to grind to do it so 

a detail which i couldnt lelt it pass is: cheese is okay and valid unless u only know how to do stuff  throught this method. That for me can be a lil tricky to consider but well, it is what it is, the loot is there and the goals is complete, so...

as example, if u can kill df but just usin walls, u r like skippin the heat, literally

Most people who download don't starve don't make it past winter and for that reason I consider anyone who can actually survive a year to be good at the game. It's sometimes easy to forget that the competent players you find everywhere on the forums, YouTube and discord are actually the minority. A lot of people buy the game, die, never play again so if you can do better that that I'd say your pretty good statistically speaking

Slightly off topic but on console I find the three biggest challenges:

-killing Fuelweaver without much cheese (No houndius/lureplants, not just using three full stacks of gunpowder etc but I'd consider volt jelly and chili seasoning fair game) solo is no easy feat because of targeting issues and his bonkers healing. If you aren't efficient and know what you're doing he can easily heal faster than you can do damage to him.

-killing Suped up crabking solo without cheese like a billion bees helping you. Extra points for actually sailing around him at the same time or even using a ton of boats swapping before they break whether you're using ice staff as well or not. 

-killing celestial champion solo again without crazy cheese. Extra points if you don't just use a ton of darts for phase 3. 

Anyone who can do any of these definitely has my respect as they are not easy feats imo. Certain bosses solo on console are a genuine challenge and a half. 

That little rant aside though honestly anyone who isn't struggling most of the time and can generally survive indefinitely regardless of which bosses or content they actually tackle is a good player in my eyes. 

The best players are those who help others and teach them tricks and new strategies =)

If you can do all bosses in around 110 days, you're a good player. Obviously some chars can do it much faster but overall 100 to 120 days should be achievable by all chars. Id even say under 150 days still makes you quite good.

This is a very good metric because it includes ruins rushing, boss fighting with minimal equip usage, planning, healing, cooking, staying insane, farming nightmare fuel, using magi a lot, game knowledge, map generation knowledge etc.

3 minutes ago, reallychina said:

If you can do all bosses in around 110 days, you're a good player. Obviously some chars can do it much faster but overall 100 to 120 days should be achievable by all chars. Id even say under 150 days still makes you quite good.

This is a very good metric because it includes ruins rushing, boss fighting with minimal equip usage, planning, healing, cooking, staying insane, farming nightmare fuel, using magi a lot, game knowledge, map generation knowledge etc.

I doubt more than 0.001% of the playerbase can achieve that or have attempted that. Is that really a "good" benchmark for merely a 'good player'?

Perhaps more fitting to the title of good speedrunner.

Imagine actually following this 70 day dream program.

1904103225_Oneyearplan.thumb.png.313c6ea41aec022d748ae8c4cad636ee.png

On 4/23/2022 at 5:29 AM, prettynuggets said:

i found the player that really hard to play with is when they have a bit of knowledge but acting like they know everything .. so when given advice they will be "nah man... " then something broke, burn, lost or he die to some stupid stuff i warn him a sec ago then complaining 

aside from that probably they can be categorized as good player :wilson_confused:

I hate to say that I know exactly what you mean. I see it in pubs when I just wanna help a world. Then there's some player in there that literally knows everything from watching videos but hasn't actually done any of it, them proceeds to die to darkness or starvation. 

me :D

you can be good at different aspects of the game. maybe you're able to design really nice looking builds, but can't survive very well, that doesn't mean you're a bad player, it just means you're a good builder.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:16 AM, Guille6785 said:

edgy rick

lol

8 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I doubt more than 0.001% of the playerbase can achieve that or have attempted that. Is that really a "good" benchmark for merely a 'good player'?

150 days is speedrunning...? Nope. 

There's a reason why they choose 150 days, it's because that many days requires a good amount of skill on the players side. Items in this game can hard carry the player, you can get enough items to tank Deerclops in the first winter. Within the restraint of 2 years the player need to understand the minimal gear they can fight bosses with, when to schedule fights especially those with time constraints, and the knowledge and skill to utilize a character to their maximum potential.

Speedrunning is more a static amount of gear that could be less than what's considered minimal. The gear you undertake is what's allowed within a certain time constraint. 

Now having said that, 2 years is a bit of a tight schedule for those with average-to good level of play. Usually the hardest part of doing bosses back to back is actually good time management. For a speedrunner 2 years is too much time as the last milestone is killing Bearger in 2nd autumn, that's the hard cap. I'd say a 3rd year still takes a moderate amount of skill if you have a decent looking base. 

On 4/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, SinancoTheBest said:

day 120+ all bosses is nowhere near speed running. day 150 all bosses is fair as benchmark on a player understanding and executing all aspects of the game 

i remember seeing that list before. it's not attainable in singleplayer and many of the things listed are not necessary and even hinder your progress but overall it has some important landmarks covered

On 4/26/2022 at 4:28 AM, MrSoratori said:

as example, if u can kill df but just usin walls, u r like skippin the heat, literally

solo dfly with no walls with a char with no damage modifiers is very heavy on ice staves and/or healing/armor/time, it's just not worth it.

that being said, dfly can absolutely be done in duos with any chars with 1 or 2 ice staves and it's very sad that wall expoit has been this normalized in the community

What makes me a good player ? If I were a bad player I wouldn't be sittin' here discussin' it with you now would I ? One frazzled wire, one wayward pinch of gunpowder, one errant twitch, and KABLOOIE ! I got a manky character, I'm a french Walter player. They've got more f-[long censor about revealing the location of Crab King] than they've got the likes of me. So... T'all you fine pro players so proud, so cocksure Prancin' aboot with your characters full of perks ! Come and get me I say ! I'll be waiting on ya with a whiff of the 'ol poop pellet. I'm a grim bloody survival world... with an unhappy bloody end !

Spoiler

demomanmaniac.jpg.56d550eeb271574c0b9d7af49ddae692.jpgI spent way too much time writing that.

9 hours ago, reallychina said:

solo dfly with no walls with a char with no damage modifiers is very heavy on ice staves and/or healing/armor/time, it's just not worth it.

its literally 3 ice staves, 2 if u can kill some from kite, [and zero if u play wendy/wanda/wolfgang] what can be done with a lil effort and timming. I do it every run i play in first autumm, blue gems can be rng dependent in surface but not in ruins.

For me? I played this game for almost eight years.I died many times,even in the sigle mode.

One thing that I am counting on is I was still a novice.

Every time I died,then learned,died,learned,died,learned…last, nothing can kill me. It's a torture.

Am I a good player?

Archived