[Poll] On the Craft UI QoL Update, Postmortem

Inazuma transcends eternity.   

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Craft UI QoL Update series?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the updates
  2. 2. What are the best, most fleshed out parts of the updates to you?

• The new crafting interface's appearance.
    • The pin and favorites system
    • The search system
    • The new categories for items
    • Items being able to overlap within several categories
    • Being able to craft from containers
    • Being able to click research machines to access their crafting tiers
    • Being able to craft items despite not having crafted their prerequisite resources (e.g. Spear ropes)
    • Wolfgang's tweaks
    • Hound wave changes
    • Ancient Guardian changes
    • Deerclops attack change
    • The new skins
    • This choice is specifically reserved for a mechanic GetNerfedOn failed to mention lmao vote here and tell me in the comments
    • None of these pleased me.
    • Idc lmao
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied" why so?

• The new craft ui is very convenient and easy to use.
    • The new craft ui is aesthetically pleasing
    • The new craft ui makes it easier for newer players to learn and enjoy the game.
    • The new craft ui makes crafting far more accessible in intensive situations.
    • The new craft ui qol changes help make crafting less tedious.
    • The new craft Ui makes finding important recipes faster.
    • Wolfgang's changes make him balanced and more effective to play with
    • Wolfgang's changes make him more fun to play with
    • The Ancient Guardian is finally fun to fight
    • The new ancient guardian phase looks sick
    • The new hound waves add incremental difficulty
    • The new hound waves are fun and challenging
    • The new clops mechanic is fun
    • Other (do mention in the comments!?
    • I answered "Very Unsatisfied / Unsatisfied"
    • I answered "No strong feelings"
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied" why so?

• The new craft ui is very confusing
    • The new craft ui is visually bland
    • The new craft ui makes it confusing for noobs to learn
    • The new craft ui gives way too much information as opposed to the old one
    • The new craft ui makes crafting a chores
    • The new craft ui makes crafting harder in intensive situations
    • The new craft ui makes important recipes hard to find
    • The Wolfgang changes didn't help improve his reworked state
    • Wolfgang still isn't fun to play/is even less fun
    • Wolfgang still cannot run faster than other characters
    • Ancient Guardian is still unfun to fight/became wors
    • The new ancient guardian phase doesnt fit
    • The new hound waves are too much difficulty to handle
    • The new deerclops is still ez to kill
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied"
    • I voted "No Strong Feelings"
    • Dst kart was scrapped :(((
  5. 5. Should the choice be given for you to revert to the old craft UI, would you do so?

New menu is great, ancient guardian is great, Wolfgang is great, hound changes are great (the way they come at bigger intervals now makes them far less annoying and varglets make them more reasonable to deal with)

image.thumb.png.2ce96e2a92b6f16fdaf5722c430f111b.png

The turf changes! The recipe adjustments and the fact that you get 4(!!!) turf per craft now. This removes a huge amount of grind and cobblestones got the best treatment - you can reasonably put a large area anywhere now, at your base, or at any boss, without having to commit mass deforestation and de-rocky-turf-ation(?). 

36 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I hope the new UI means more lunar recipes get added to the game. Lots and lots more.

I admire your optimism.

That aside, I don't care anymore about my past complaints regarding new Crafting UI system, or it as a matter of fact (& "its bulkiness/click-iness - almost 1/2 of occupied screen in smallest format on 4:3 1280x resolution", bla-bla). No, I don't like it by any personal metric, but we got some compromises with subsequent updates in the form of Quick-Access Favorite recipes tab - now 3 of them, interchangeable via scroll, for a total of 27 retained items I can swiftly make on-the-go, and ignore all the rest of Crafting UI in unfolded/deployed format most of time. Would be nice if a further, punctual, modification could come into place, namely clicking outside opened Crafting UI (and not again on its header, as it stands atm), anywhere, should make it slide off smoothly, naturally to let you play the game. But broadly speaking, "I've adapted" to the point of "no strong feelings". Life goes on in the deep, dark Constant's forests.

again, the most stupid thing that came from new craft ui is that there now more tabs, and that some items are in more then 1 tab, wich makes it for me very unorganized, thankfully that one mod exist that you all sould know by now, to have old tabs back

55 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I admire your optimism.

That aside, I don't care anymore about my past complaints regarding new Crafting UI system, or it as a matter of fact (& "its bulkiness/click-iness - almost 1/2 of occupied screen in smallest format on 4:3 1280x resolution", bla-bla). No, I don't like it by any personal metric, but we got some compromises with subsequent updates in the form of Quick-Access Favorite recipes tab - now 3 of them, interchangeable via scroll, for a total of 27 retained items I can swiftly make on-the-go, and ignore all the rest of Crafting UI in unfolded/deployed format most of time. Would be nice if a further, punctual, modification could come into place, namely clicking outside opened Crafting UI (and not again on its header, as it stands atm), anywhere, should make it slide off smoothly, naturally to let you play the game. But broadly speaking, "I've adapted" to the point of "no strong feelings". Life goes on in the deep, dark Constant's forests.

You do know in your advanced settings you can increase the number of quick tabs from 3 all the way up to 9 right??

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

for a total of 27 retained items

a quick reminder : actually the new Quick-Access Favorite recipes tab could be set to a maximum of 9, which will provide 81 locations for players to place their favorite recipes.

What you need to do is to modify the upper limit of the number of Quick-Access Favorite recipes tab in game setting :whistle:

9 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Oh, didn't knew that, neat! Ty! Probably 5 of them would give me all I want in old Crafting UI fashion to ultimately be content. I usually don't tinker with settings (outside of those wobbling heads we got some months ago), time to revise that.

You should, you can also change the size of your Craft UI from these same settings, as well as the speed in which you move through the menu’s.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

clicking outside opened Crafting UI (and not again on its header, as it stands atm), anywhere, should make it slide off smoothly, naturally to let you play the game

But it does? I'm not sure about consoles, but on PC, right-clicking anywhere on the screen will make the crafting interface go away. I'm still getting used to it, as to the whole interface in general, but it works.

2 minutes ago, Lokena said:

But it does? I'm not sure about consoles, but on PC, right-clicking anywhere on the screen will make the crafting interface go away. I'm still getting used to it, as to the whole interface in general, but it works.

On console you just press B (Xbox) or O (Playstation) to exit any menu at anytime.

6 hours ago, Lokena said:

Ode to my shame, I never tried right-clicking, thought it didn't had a function from such pov. Glad to see my micro-issue with swiftly "dismissing" the opened Crafting UI already got a solution, ty!

PS: after rejoining an old world to test a bit this new method of quickly minimizing Craft UI it dawned on me why I didn't consider such action in past - after 1st Winter I always employ the use of Lazy Explorers instead of Canes. But this new alternative, no matter its apparent trickiness, is still a valid one - just need to get used without accidentally consuming LE durability (well, even more than I already do, eh).

There is an unintentional reverse psychology mind trick at work when there are mass complaints against an update in any game; Sometimes players who actually dislike an update or feel neutral about it, support the opposite of that; It may be because it makes them feel more mature to be accepting or it makes them feel closer to the developer company. I've witnessed a lot of updates like that done to games and gaming platforms, and also was a victim of that mind trick supporting what I dislike.

Now since I said that above, I will give you a full reasoning on why this crafting UI update is actually a downgrade, and why supporting it has no real reason:

1. The search system is one-time use only

If you are looking for an item, you are probably using it to make something, so if you are making it, you wil also do so in many other games, so that item will either go to pinned tabs or to favorites; After you assigned all items you need to pinned and favorites tab, you have no need to use the search system then, because if you do need to use it again, that means Pinning and Favorites mechanism is failed to grant fast access to items, and therefore these 3 mechanisms need to be there together, while previously it was all done by a simple hovering of mouse.

2. Too many items to pin

Pinning items is a huge portion of the new UI, but the job it gets done is minimal to nothing, because it is only good for having a fast access to very few items, meaning Torch, Campfire and some healing stuff for battles; Therefore the favorites tab is a must-use function, which need to be accessed by opening the extra big crafting page that covers half of the screen; If you pin Items that are not in urgent need, such as Pig-Houses, you will have to go back and forth between 10 tabs and also to remember in which tab is each item. (Same complaints about remembering places in Old Ui is not done here.) And still you will run out of place and have to use the Menu anyways.

3. There is a lot of wasted space

If you pay attention, there are categories with only one or two items in them, and the number of categories themselves is more than some items, which means more confusion and less efficiency, and we will never need that much space since Klei was adding new content weekly for years and the categories are still near-empty.

Apart from that, the description of items takes more than the icon and material icons of the item, and the whole UI itself blocks the view of player.

4. This kind of Crafting UI is meant for Sandbox games

DST might look like a sandbox, but it is not! it is a game you need to play without going AFK; If you stand on Swamp for crafting or chatting, something will hit and kill you, migth be a merm, a fly or a tentacle; If you stop on green grass, frogs will attack you; If you stop near a Pig as a monster character, or near Spiders as a normal character, you will be hurt; If you stop your routine to craft while attacking a Boss, you will die; If you finally find a safe spot to stop and craft, hounds wlll attack and kill you; All of this danger is doubled for new players.

We have a pause option in setting specific for when player is crafting, that would be enough evidence and confession from developers themselves that this UI is consuming time not in sync and meant for the game; May I remind you everything was done by hovering at previous UI, and then a single click.

5. More items could be added to Old Ui

Unlike what many people think, the Old Ui had capacity to support even more items, by some sorting out and re-arranging of categories, and merging of some categories; Even 5 branches of previous UI took less place and was opened and gone in a moment just by hovering of mouse.

I havent really played at all recently so i wont vote. I hated the idea at first and hated it even more once it was revealed. But ive since realized i should stop being so grumpy about it, and i do like the tweaks they have been making. Plus if it means more content, more recipes, and a shift towards altering base game content- as in stuff thats been here since the beginning then i really cant complain as i continue to hope they do a seasons refresh at some point.

New Craft Ui is really good and fits all my needs, i still haven't played enough to be able use muscle memory to find all the items i want but using pinning items and using favorites allows people to slowly get used to it.

Its much better compared to what we had before, i hated scrolling to the bottom of the crafting menu just to need to scroll back up. Bundling wrap wasn't really that far down but it was really annoying when i needed to craft it over and over again, every time i eat or want to rebundle something that i carry in it.

Complaining about how DST doesn't need such a developed crafting ui and they just want to stick to what they got used to doing, they just don't like changes and i am similar in that regard but i can see when there is an improvement or not and it is worth getting used to this crafting ui.

Plus in the worst case scenario, you can just keep pausing the game if you are playing solo and just find the items you want until you learn.

14 hours ago, Chesmu said:

There is an unintentional reverse psychology mind trick at work when there are mass complaints against an update in any game; Sometimes players who actually dislike an update or feel neutral about it, support the opposite of that; It may be because it makes them feel more mature to be accepting or it makes them feel closer to the developer company. I've witnessed a lot of updates like that done to games and gaming platforms, and also was a victim of that mind trick supporting what I dislike.

our brain also makes us reject new stuff...

Spoiler

Why do our brains fight so fiercely against change?

This tendency has to do with the lingering survival instincts we adopted eons ago. Our reptilian brain, composed of the basal ganglia and brainstem, governs our primitive drives and habits. Much of the time, this part of the brain operates on “autopilot,” so we scarcely have to think about everyday activities, such as peeling a banana or walking from the shower to the bedroom. In a world brimming with stimulation (sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touch), it is essential to let some of the “program” run in the background of our minds, governed by habit and our reptilian brains.

Another reason we’re programmed to cling to the familiarity of habit is our innate aversion to risk

source

https://www.thedisruptiveelement.com/post/why-your-brain-is-so-not-okay-with-change-and-how-to-ease-into-changes-anyway

Archived