Players think using the Terrarium is griefing due to the way it spawns the boss.

19 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

where does it say anything about the game being supposed to be difficult

and even if the description says that the game is difficult, a boss randomly spawning at a noob because another player summoned it in the other side of the world doesnt add difficulty. Some people just wanna have internet fights

11 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I think that's what you're meant to take away from the word "uncompromising."

But it's a stupid argument for a mechanic that adds nothing interesting to the game, from someone who's admitted they have no stake in it at all, anyway.

Even ignoring the fact that the description only refers to DS as uncompromising and not DST, I always interpreted that word as just "the game doesn't hold your hand with tutorials" and it perfectly delivers, uncompromising is a very weird choice of a word to use just for difficulty, "unforgiving" would be more straightforward for that purpose lol

50 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

where does it say anything about the game being supposed to be difficult

in the link

33 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I think that's what you're meant to take away from the word "uncompromising."

But it's a stupid argument for a mechanic that adds nothing interesting to the game, from someone who's admitted they have no stake in it at all, anyway.

It's a unique mechanic that encourages teamwork/synchronization. Whether it affects me or not (it does) is completely irrelevant.

The argument of the mechanic being good or bad exists whether it affects me (or someone else) or not. 

21 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

Even ignoring the fact that the description only refers to DS as uncompromising and not DST, I always interpreted that word as just "the game doesn't hold your hand with tutorials" and it perfectly delivers, uncompromising is a very weird choice of a word to use just for difficulty, "unforgiving" would be more straightforward for that purpose lol

uncompromising literally means "harsh or relentless"

13 minutes ago, reallychina said:

The argument of the mechanic being good or bad exists whether it affects me (or someone else) or not.

The people that ARE affected by this mechanic are speaking, you came here saying that it shouldnt be changed even though it does not affect you.

5 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

The people that ARE affected by this mechanic are speaking, you came here saying that it shouldnt be changed even though it does not affect you.

I like the mechanic. i use it in solos and duos. Removing the mechanic would affect me. Even IF it wouldn't have affected me, the arguments for and against it are universal, it's irrelevant who it affects or not.

If Winona's catapults would cost 1 twig, 1 stone and the generator would require 3 grass to full potential, it would be a bad rework and the arguments for it being bad are completely valid even if i would peronally never play Winona.

3 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

yeah, you dont know what you are talking about

i guess the eye appears in other players when you are in solo world amr

i can use the remote spawn mechanic in solo so i don't carry the terrarium. 

I literally said i play duo a lot so i don't understand the fixation on solos. I coordinate with my pal for the eye or have it spawn remotely. It's a fun mechanic and makes you feel hunted.

Even if i did none of those things, the arguments for or against it are universal.

6 minutes ago, reallychina said:

If Winona's catapults would cost 1 twig, 1 stone and the generator would require 3 grass to full potential, it would be a bad rework and the arguments for it being bad are completely valid even if i would peronally never play Winona.

the urgue of you to complain about something that you will not experience just demostrates how you need to have an internet argument as fast as possible

2 minutes ago, reallychina said:

i can use the remote spawn mechanic in solo so i don't carry the terrarium. 

so you are saving 1 slot, for, 5 minutes until night comes in, wow that is a lot

3 minutes ago, reallychina said:

I literally said i play duo a lot so i don't understand the fixation on solos. I coordinate with my pal for the eye or have it spawn remotely.

but this discussion started because public servers with more than 6 people that dont know eachother kick others for using the terrarium, not about your very coordinated discord call friend

5 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Even if i did none of those things, the arguments for or against it are universal.

except you are the less apropiate to say the arguments because you have not experienced the issue you are talking about

im not saying your arguments or opinions are useless or whatever else you think about me but you cant say that you are more right than the people that have been kicked for using the terrarium.

32 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

the urgue of you to complain about something that you will not experience just demostrates how you need to have an internet argument as fast as possible

so you are saving 1 slot, for, 5 minutes until night comes in, wow that is a lot

but this discussion started because public servers with more than 6 people that dont know eachother kick others for using the terrarium, not about your very coordinated discord call friend

except you are the less apropiate to say the arguments because you have not experienced the issue you are talking about

im not saying your arguments or opinions are useless or whatever else you think about me but you cant say that you are more right than the people that have been kicked for using the terrarium.

I like the spawn mechanic so removing it would affect me. That would be, in a sane world, enough for me to be "allowed" to have an opinion but apparently here it's not supposed to work that way.

I sometimes use it in plays. It's in line with the game's point of being uncompromising. it's a good way to encourage people to fight/run/team/synchronize. If something as tame as the eye spawning makes people bail, how are they faring to content that is actually difficult like ruins/fw/etc? Oh wait, most of the public servers are dead by end of first autumn. So are we going to cater for that and make winter, spring and summer and everything else easier to keep players interested longer? When they leave anyway?

It can be insanely hard to coordinate in a public server with strangers. Some of them just simply want to do their own things, some are busy doing other stuffs (farming spiders/pigs/grass/twigs/etc.). They most likely won't just gather at one place when you say "We are gonna fight a giant eyeball boss, gather here".

Hell, a good bunch of people don't even know where other players are because they don't know that Compass reveals the player's location on the map.

52 minutes ago, reallychina said:

I like the mechanic. i use it in solos and duos. Removing the mechanic would affect me. Even IF it wouldn't have affected me, the arguments for and against it are universal, it's irrelevant who it affects or not.

The OP's post is about the boss spawning at unsuspecting players, and can easily disrupt their experience simply because a lot of them don't know what to do or just straight up afraid to go out in the dark with a torch.

If you haven't tried something, maybe you shouldn't talk about it.

16 minutes ago, reallychina said:

I like the spawn mechanic so removing it would affect me. That would be, in a sane world, enough for me to be "allowed" to have an opinion but apparently here it's not supposed to work that way.

A lot of people dislike the new crafting UI and yet Klei changes it anyway. Just because it affects you doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.

the spawning is pretty annoying, ive had it where a group wanted to fight the eye, so they used the terrarium, but then the boss spawned on me, while i was all on my own picking tumble weeds, and they missed out on that night to fight the boss

You guys are quite literally trying to get this franchise ripped apart and turned into something casual as casual can possibly be- and instead of trying to dispute with anyone about that I’m going to instead use areas of the game that are completely 100% Uncompromising.

Forget every single bit of knowledge you have about the game, picture yourself as a new player: And now.. picture yourself running for your life from a hound wave back to Base where you ASSUME your teammates can help you kill them- Unknowing that those hounds can catch fire when killed and burn your base in a blazing inferno.

Imagine everyone yelling at you to leave base when they hear heavy breathing in the Winter while you (the noob) have no idea that a boss is about to spawn that is designed to destroy any base structures near to it.

Imagine being that noob in summer having no idea how to prevent wildfires when your in the area to start them…

This franchise has always been harsh and punishing, the simplest mistakes can cause widespread disaster.

Spawning the Eye/Twins of Terror is just another one of those things that can happen.

Be a noob and board someone’s fully decked out boat while your sanity is low enough to spawn Wavey Jones and TerrorClaw, YOU DONT KNOW ANY BETTER…

I play with some of the most noob friends you can imagine on Xbox Live… I am fully and 100% aware of all the mistakes THEY can make that can make the game more difficult for you..

Even simple things: Like picking up an Ice Staff that causes it to rain for several days which kills the poor WX78’s who weren’t prepared to deal with it.

Not an easy game- and in fact I’d say it is very very much so “Uncompromising”

nah, the spawning mechanics are good, they are as chaotic as they're supposed to be. EoT is the easiest boss to spawn and for that it balances out a bit that when you spawn it you need a bit of coordination to determine where it'll go. Also means that in a public server someone can't steal the terrarium for their own personal base and keep reaping the benefits from beating it. Personally had more positive, funny, surprising experiences with EoT targeting an unintended target rather than the intended ones so it'd just be an anti-fun change imo just because some people some time in some server called someone a griefer for activating the terrarium.

50 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys are quite literally trying to get this franchise ripped apart and turned into something casual as casual can possibly be- and instead of trying to dispute with anyone about that I’m going to instead use areas of the game that are completely 100% Uncompromising.

This is my favorite comment in the thread.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys are quite literally trying to get this franchise ripped apart and turned into something casual as casual can possibly be- and instead of trying to dispute with anyone about that I’m going to instead use areas of the game that are completely 100% Uncompromising

better nerf cookie cutters, batilisks and dragonfly

I like the Terrarium as it is right now. I do think it has a funny mechanic that adds up to the chaos which is already present in public servers. But if so many people are unhappy with it and consider it a game ruining experience, I wouldn't mind a rework and would even support it.

Terrarium should either spawn the eye on someone, who touched it, or spawn it in a spot that has the most amount of people nearby.
The random chaotic nature of spawning just doesn't work in a multiplayer setting even if one's so concerned about the "uncompromising" part of the game.

On one hand, it is scary but thrilling when something horrific spawns near you and you're supposed to survive it, but on the other hand, the fight is often triggered when a group is completely prepared to face it - the eye does not just simply appear out of nowhere, the fight has to be triggered by someone.
And imagine yourself, along with 4 players, all geared up and prepared to fight, when suddenly some idiot named Greg made the eye get summoned 50 miles away from base?

On 3/28/2022 at 5:58 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and even if the description says that the game is difficult, a boss randomly spawning at a noob because another player summoned it in the other side of the world doesnt add difficulty. Some people just wanna have internet fights

Don't get me wrong someone getting hit with it the moment they spawn in is unfortunate but I feel like it should stay the way it is the idea of the game is that the odds are stacked against you and sometimes things happen that are beyond your control or so I thought but realistically everything is within your control as the game engages with you on your terms aside from weather pains it'd be a shame to see such a unique boss mechanic die because some people got unlucky.

To be honest it’s not even a hard thing to counter- the EoT/ToT go away when nightfall comes to an end, and they DO NOT spawn in Caves..

You could do several things-

A: Run until Morning.

B: Go into a Cave until Morning.

C: Hide inside a BushHat (they won’t see or attack you if you hide before they spawn) until Morning.

Even if your on a Boat and the Eye spawns on you out at Sea… (which I’ve hilariously had happen) A & C are still options.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

To be honest it’s not even a hard thing to counter- the EoT/ToT go away when nightfall comes to an end, and they DO NOT spawn in Caves..

C: Hide inside a BushHat (they won’t see or attack you if you hide before they spawn) until Morning.

Even if your on a Boat and the Eye spawns on you out at Sea… (which I’ve hilariously had happen) A & C are still options.

that fixes nothing. What about the guy actually trying to fight the thing, they just stand there like idiots. And there's no guarantee the next night won't go to waste because of the same thing. Why even is this still an issue, making it target the closest player is so obvious

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If it's so easy to counter and poses no challenge why do you care if it's removed?

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If it's so easy to counter and poses no challenge why do you care if it's removed?

Several reasons: If EoT/ToT spawned near Terrarium then I could just activate it near a boss I want dead and leave far away from the area to come back later.

Thats reason 1 why they spawn randomly.

Reason 2 would be to simulate the way this boss works in Terraria where it randomly chooses players to spawn upon.

But Reason 3 is the most important one to me: The unpredictable fun factor involved when playing with a group of close friends.

Example: Will the Eye spawn on the Wolfgang & Wigfrid who spawned it, the Wormwood tending to farm crops (sorry @HowlVoid until Klei adds more plant mobs a farmers life is all he is best at) or Will it spawn on the Wurt whose out on a boat collecting Kelps?

Its probably not fun for you in pubs with strangers.. but with a group of friends it’s exciting & fun with a pinch of unpredictable mayhem.

There is a way to satisfy both camps of players though:

Terrarium World Gen Settings: 

Spawn On player? Yes/No/Random, Spawn near Terrarium Summon area? Yes/No

Archived