Players think using the Terrarium is griefing due to the way it spawns the boss.

Ever since the Terraria update every single time someone sees me use the Terrarium they call me a griefer, whether I do it silently or announce to everyone that at night I'll spawn it so they should go underground if they want to avoid it. Today someone kept going on about how upset they were that the Eye killed Glommer, so I politely told him that if he were to make a forum account he could start a post showing his discontent with the spawning mechanic, so that it could hopefully be changed. While that did make him stop being so mad at me, unfortunately it just redirected his anger at Klei, culminating in this sign he left marking Glommer's grave.

unknown-7.thumb.png.5629f96088e73bbb592ab56526c830b8.png

I don't remember who left the sign, I don't think it was Woodie. I think he was just reading it for me since Wes is illiterate.

What purpose is there for the Eye's current spawning system? It's not how it works in Terraria, if you use the summon item he spawns on you. All this current spawning system does is make me accidentally kill people, make it take a really long time for me to be able to kill the boss, make those people I'm accidentally killing upset, and make me feel like I'm about to be votekicked (which I bet eventually I will be).

i was kicked from a public server for using the terrarium aswell, surprising how it hasnt been reached out by the devs.

and if this mechanic is on purpose its just truly miserable, not only you loose because you have to wait a full day with your starting-to-rot hambat but also make the day worse for someone else, the fact that they dissapear at night its already anticlimatic, but if the developers expect the players to coordinate and gather around when the boss is gonna spawn then they need to take a look at their own public servers to see if this genious formula actually works.

i hate being harsh on the devs since imo they nailed it with the last update, but leaving this mechanic like it is now its just baffling.

Yes, very easy griefing potential indeed. Klei could just make the terrarium go for the player closest to the terrarium. As fun an idea of randomly selecting a player is, that's just on paper, in practice we can get this whenever someone wants eye mask. Even worse when someone wants the shield, good luck surviving that when you join day 1. Can't always just run away, imagine being spawn camped at portal by the twins! And to avoid randomness players can go in caves or gather in a group. Why was randomly selected player even a mechanic that was implemented? Are we trying to improve the game or actively give more options to ruin it for more people?

I think it was a fun idea since in terraria, the boss spawns on a random person when the fight happens naturally (similar to seasonal bosses in DST), but I can't tell you how many new players got smoked because they weren't with the main base of people who were trying to fight the boss and just get unlucky. I definitely think this needs to be looked at by the devs

in terraria there are many ways of tping back to your arena, not to mention the long nights and the fact that dying in that game just means you have to wait 20 seconds to appear again.

in dst the boss appears anywhere and by the lack of options to move from point a to b (specially in early game) you are most likely gonna get the boss without and arena and without your friends, and if you are actively trying to kill the boss the absurdly short nights will make it so you have to wait some very exciting 5 minutes so you can damage the boss again.

i get that they try to represent many mechanics from the boss into dst but it just doesnt work, which leaves to the question if this was actually tested or not

1 hour ago, Seero said:

What it's not like the eye bosses destroy structures... do they?

i think they do??? i really can't remember but i always spawn them at my current base, so maybe not.

1 hour ago, Grim0514 said:

litterally just skill issue

1 hour ago, Seero said:

I haven't but if it was me i'd kill that giant eye MF no cap 

1 hour ago, Grim0514 said:

Based and F key pilled

"Very constructive" and a sure way to signal yourself as a lil kid. Gj chaps! Keep signaling.

Regarding Terraria bosses spawn mechanic, while one could write they are uncompromising and interesting in harsh survival pathos, like true Eldritch abominations DS had at its origins, in multiplayer context indeed can be anticlimactic (wanting to fight, yet having them spawn on the other side of map, making a most "happy ending" for fresh Wilson N+1 out of gate, a very ad litteram one sans happiness) or straight-up trolling/griefing. And I don't think this is a good way to promote multiplayer environment - perhaps KLei could reconsider EoT & ToT spawning mechanic, localizing them to where summoning Terrarium is.

Also both Terraria bosses destroy structures like Walls, Fences, Gates, and damage all mobs in their paths (aka everything with health bar/metric).

1 hour ago, hhh2 said:

i think they do??? i really can't remember but i always spawn them at my current base, so maybe not.

They destroy anything with health, including shadows for some reason lol. I'm assuming they can destroy walls but they can't smash any other structures.

But "anything with health" includes the dude who just got the game, has no idea what's going on, isn't wearing armor, and doesn't have a light source so he's glued to the fire pit.

42 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They destroy anything with health, including shadows for some reason lol. I'm assuming they can destroy walls but they can't smash any other structures.

But "anything with health" includes the dude who just got the game, has no idea what's going on, isn't wearing armor, and doesn't have a light source so he's glued to the fire pit.

Thank you! At the very least, they could just randomize it with people around a certain radius. It shouldn't be able to go across the entire map and hit a solo player who was never intended to be in the fight.

What a coincidence that yesterday I was about to make a mod to fix this. I remember months ago I was Wanda voyaging with my beefalo and an eye suddenly befell me. I had to rescue my beefalo! However, at last I died before my beefalo, then I requested a rollback....

Here is the mod:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2785814369

description:

He who touches terrarium has a terrible time. Good night!
Terrarium now seeks who activated it , or who is nearest, or a random victim.

compatibility:

Incompatible with other kinds of terrarium fixes because I overwrite the prefab terrarium.lua.

Archived