Players think using the Terrarium is griefing due to the way it spawns the boss.

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

sorry @HowlVoid until Klei adds more plant mobs a farmers life is all he is best at

Tfw a character with a very easily accessible speed boost, upgraded version of the log suit, incredibly easy sanity control and ability to spam living logs is apparently just "the best at farming"

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If EoT/ToT spawned near Terrarium then I could just activate it near a boss I want dead and leave far away from the area to come back later.

Pretty sure that won't work, you'll have to stay in the are close to bosses because if you go far away the game will unload those creatures and no progress on the fight will be made. 

1 minute ago, FourthLess said:

Tfw a character with a very easily accessible speed boost, upgraded version of the log suit, incredibly easy sanity control and ability to spam living logs is apparently just "the best at farming"

And Wormwood profits from the crops he grows less than most other survivors 

Just now, jan Mele said:

And Wormwood profits from the crops he grows less than most other survivors 

Yeah, I agree(that's why I think single player version of Wormwood is pretty badly designed) 

Honestly, when I play Wormwood alone I rarely dedicate any time to farming. Just create a few tiles, dig up trash and plant some seeds then proceed to not care about them at all until they grow up. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Several reasons: If EoT/ToT spawned near Terrarium then I could just activate it near a boss I want dead and leave far away from the area to come back later.

No you can't. Ai is disabled if no players are near.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Reason 2 would be to simulate the way this boss works in Terraria where it randomly chooses players to spawn upon

That's not true. If you use a suspicious eye it spawns on you. The boss does not spawn on a random player when you summon it.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That's not true. If you use a suspicious eye it spawns on you. The boss does not spawn on a random player when you summon it.

Is it random if the boss spawns naturally?

15 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Is it random if the boss spawns naturally?

Even when the boss spawns randomly it doesn't work how it does here. It will only spawn on players who have upgraded their health to a certain threshold, so no targeting people who just came into existence.

Just make it a toggleable option. Problem solved. Who am I kidding! There will still be people complaining about that.

Spoiler

Technically you aren't using a suspicious/mechanical eye when summoning the EoT/ToT. The way you spawn in the eyes is more like the way they would spawn naturally in a terraria world, with the iconic "It's going to be a terrible night". 

1 minute ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

The way you spawn in the eyes is more like the way they would spawn naturally in a terraria world, with the iconic "It's going to be a terrible night". 

Explicitly going out of your way to summon the boss by using an inventory item is way more similar than what message gets put in the chat.

9 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Ooh wait! They should make the ToT and EoT appear as icons on the map as they would in Terraria. So even if they don't appear at the desired spot you could still know where they are. 

If you're close enough to be able to get there in time to fight it you're probably close enough to hear it.

Terrarium shouldn't choose players that just joined the server, maybe it could be the number of days played to be 10 or more and it should work if it is a new world but at that time it should focus the player that summoned it.

To me this would seem fair while obviously new players would still die to it if they don't run but you can make the same argument about deerclops.

10 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Terrarium shouldn't choose players that just joined the server, maybe it could be the number of days played to be 10 or more and it should work if it is a new world but at that time it should focus the player that summoned it.

To me this would seem fair while obviously new players would still die to it if they don't run but you can make the same argument about deerclops.

Deerclops spawns automatically. If you want to compare it to other bosses compare it to the ones you manually spawn. Toadstool, bee queen, SCP, AFW. All of them spawn where the person who started the fight is.

Just now, Cheggf said:

Deerclops spawns automatically. If you want to compare it to other bosses compare it to the ones you manually spawn. Toadstool, bee queen, SCP, AFW. All of them spawn where the person who started the fight is.

Not everything needs to be the same and i really don't see a problem with terrarium if it didn't choose the players that just joined and are completely unprepared.

Also instead of changing terrarium, i'd rather want to talk about what can be done about vote kicking, unless someone is intentionally using terraria to spawn bosses on other people and never fight it, i don't see why it is okay to kick the person, drops are too good on servers with more players because of permanent armor that you can refuel while usually pig skins are much harder to come by.

1 minute ago, 00petar00 said:

Not everything needs to be the same and i really don't see a problem with terrarium if it didn't choose the players that just joined and are completely unprepared.

Also instead of changing terrarium, i'd rather want to talk about what can be done about vote kicking, unless someone is intentionally using terraria to spawn bosses on other people and never fight it, i don't see why it is okay to kick the person, drops are too good on servers with more players because of permanent armor that you can refuel while usually pig skins are much harder to come by.

If the mechanic is so fun why not extend it to solo players? Using the Terrarium has a 92% chance of saying "You feel like tonight's not actually going to be that bad" and nothing happens. 

Just now, Cheggf said:

If the mechanic is so fun why not extend it to solo players? Using the Terrarium has a 92% chance of saying "You feel like tonight's not actually going to be that bad" and nothing happens. 

Because it is fun when people are involved, it isn't fun when you are on your own and the mechanic is basically a RNG if boss spawns or not.

When you are on discord and communicating with people and laughing it off when it spawned near them.

Basically looks to me like you are just jealous that solo players don't have to deal with this mechanic and can kill it whenever they want while you play on public servers and have issue when it spawns on someone else.

DST is a multiplayer game that should be balanced around that and it should encourage cooperation. While most players don't play past first Autumn, that doesn't mean that the game should be balanced for them, otherwise there would be no overheating or freezing mechanics in the game.

22 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Because it is fun when people are involved, it isn't fun when you are on your own and the mechanic is basically a RNG if boss spawns or not.

When you are on discord and communicating with people and laughing it off when it spawned near them.

Basically looks to me like you are just jealous that solo players don't have to deal with this mechanic and can kill it whenever they want while you play on public servers and have issue when it spawns on someone else.

DST is a multiplayer game that should be balanced around that and it should encourage cooperation. While most players don't play past first Autumn, that doesn't mean that the game should be balanced for them, otherwise there would be no overheating or freezing mechanics in the game.

It is not fun when people are involved. When people are involved they're calling you a griefer and getting killed by something that you caused without their consent.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It is not fun when people are involved. When people are involved they're calling you a griefer and getting killed by something that you caused without their consent.

That is what happens when players that are really bad at the game and don't want to improve can just start a vote kick and this should be changed instead of terrarium as this is probably not the only case someone got kicked for a illogical reason, it happened to me too while not with terrarium since i didn't play on public for a long time.

It is fun when you are playing with people you know or on a private server with a discord and it should be the same with most players in pubs that know how to avoid it or kill it.

Should the game be balanced around players that don't play past first Autumn? That is the question we are asking here in this thread. Terrarium is just one of the problems for these players.

15 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Should the game be balanced around players that don't play past first Autumn? That is the question we are asking here in this thread. Terrarium is just one of the problems for these players.

There's a bunch of people in this very thread who are pretty obviously not "dies in Winter" social players who think the way this thing works sucks.

31 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

consent.png.ef809628b98d5329a23bdd3d1380b3f2.png

12 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

There's a bunch of people in this very thread who are pretty obviously not "dies in Winter" social players who think the way this thing works sucks.

Yes, because the players that don't survive after first Autumn call them griefers and kick them and they want to fight the boss to get the item but it spawned on someone else, there are many reasons to dislike how terrarium works but that doesn't mean that it is bad.

34 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

This really depends on the who your talking about there are plenty of people who love the chaotic nature of it something dst lacks alot in other areas I think making a toggle in the settings to change it for worlds where people don't like it is good enough.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, Spino43 said:

It can be insanely hard to coordinate in a public server with strangers. Some of them just simply want to do their own things, some are busy doing other stuffs

I might get flack for this but a multiplayer focused game should not be balanced in consideration of people who have no intention to cooperate unless it's competitive which dst is not.

Archived