March Quality of Life Beta is Live!

This is the most amazing QoL update ever. well done Klei as usual.

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Roads can now be disabled in the world generation settings (on or off)

Can we have snow flooring too please? pretty please :x.

That’s a lot more changes then I expected.. and if I’m being honest I’m not sure how “Xbox” or “PlayStation” players are going to react to it: You get them used to how to craft things and the recipes involved in that craft for years then you suddenly change it. (and if a veteran player from the first game: These will be highly confusing changes..) 

I am deeply confused by several changes listed here: Mainly the extreme reduction on how easy it will be to build boat kit bridges all over everywhere now.

Nontheless: At least this post mentions console players will be able to move with the new crafting menu open and more is being done for controller support so many thanks on that, Have fun with the Beta guys, And hopefully once it comes to Consoles in the live branch: They’ll adjust the Based on feedback provided by Us.

Good Luck, Have Fun don’t get confused! Wait err I mean Don’t Starve* :wilson_blush:

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

Can someone datamine the tips and 'lore nuggets' from the game? Don't really have time to review them but I sure am going to suggest some new ones, so I don't want to repeat what might already be in the game

LOADING_SCREEN_SURVIVAL_TIPS =
    {
        --TEST_TIP1 = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.",
        TIP_DIRT_PILE = "\"I stumbled upon a rather suspicious mound of dirt... perhaps it was left by a creature of some sort? This may require further investigation...\" -W",
        TIP_SCIENCE_MACHINE = "\"I find myself returning more and more frequently to my magnificent science machine, busying myself with prototyping new tools to aid in our survival. After all, I must do something to keep myself sane in this strange place...\" -W",
        TIP_SANITY = "\"I fear I may no longer be able to trust my own eyes. I've been catching glimpses of strange shadowy forms at the edges of my vision with increasing frequency... surely they can't really be there?\" -W",
        TIP_DARKNESS = "\"They say the Shadow Queen herself comes at night to snatch up anyone foolish enough to wander in the dark...\" -W",
        TIP_CAVES = "\"I finally worked up the courage to explore the underground caverns. To my surprise, I found there was ample light provided by a most curious glowing plant that seems to grow naturally throughout the cave system. I've harvested some bulbs for further study.\" -W",
        TIP_PIG_AND_MONSTERS = "\"The Pig men seem to harbor a deep dislike for the Constant's more monstrous denizens, attacking them on sight. While I personally can't blame them, it does pose a bit of a problem for some of my compatriots...\" -W",
        TIP_TREEGUARD = "\"Could've sworn I saw one of the trees movin' when I was out choppin' firewood... must've been a trick of the light.\" -W",
        TIP_RUN_AWAY = "\"It turns out that Koalephants are a bit hardier than I expected. I (quite sensibly) decided to take a... strategic retreat until I'm better prepared.\" -W",
        TIP_CHARCOAL = "\"You know what they say, you can't get charcoal without burning down a few trees!\" -W",
        TIP_HEAT = "\"Blast this heat! Where's a nice, chilled drink when you need it?\" -M",
        TIP_WETNESS = "\"The rain is proving to be a greater hindrance than I first anticipated. As if being soaked to the bone isn't dreadful enough, my tools keep slipping from my hands when I try to make use of them!\" -W",
        TIP_COMPASS = "\"I experimented with making a rudimentary compass and discovered that this place does in fact seem to have a magnetic North. Curiously, it also pointed out the positions of my fellow camp mates who, as it turned out, had already crafted similar compasses of their own.\" -W",
        TIP_FLARE = "\"A flare was sent up from the forest last night. I know I should have set out immediately to help, but... well... I suppose I hesitated too long by the comforting glow of my campfire, and before I knew it the flare had faded from view. I do hope whoever it was is alright...\" -W",
        TIP_GARDENEERHAT = "\"I've finally perfected my design for an ingenious (if I do say so myself) device that stores important garden-based knowledge. Certain naysayers might point out that it looks like nothing more than an overturned flowerpot worn on the head... some people simply don't have an eye for science.\" -W",
        TIP_COOKBOOK = "\"Once I've perfected a recipe, I find it helpful to write it down. Luckily, I've been able to cobble together a rough cookbook for just such a thing out of some spare pieces of parchment. Now my mind is free to worry about more immediate things...\" -W",
        TIP_NEWRECIPES = "\"Recipes are useful, but a true chef knows the importance of experimenting with new ingredients and flavors, and this world certainly provides an abundance of unusual things to choose from.\" -W",
        TIP_REPLANTING = "\"The bushes I replanted by the camp are looking sickly... I suspect they'll require some extra care before they can produce any berries again.\" -W",
        TIP_NAUGHTINESS = "\"We shouldn't hurt things that don't hurt us. If we're mean, bad old Mr. Krampus will come...\" -W",
        TIP_BERRYLURE = "\"Last time I baited my hook with berries I caught more fish than I could carry, but when I tried today? Barely a nibble! Guess the berry trick only works on some of 'em.\" -W",
        TIP_OCEANEXPLORATION = "\"What strange new islands and creatures might I encounter if I journey out to sea? I shudder to think... but curiosity has a tendency to get the better of me...\" -W",
        TIP_REVIVE = "\"We nearly lost one of our number today. In a mad daze I created... something... that managed to pull our friend back to the land of the living, but... whatever it was, I fear I cannot rightfully say it was within the realm of science...\" -W",
        TIP_COBBLEDROAD = "\"Today I was surprised to come upon a cobbled road - how did this hallmark of civilization come to be in this untamed wilderness?\" -W",

},

LOADING_SCREEN_LORE_TIPS =
    {
        --TEST_TIP2 = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.",
        TIP_TIME = "Time moves differently in the Constant. Instead of a monotonous forward march, seconds and eternities seem to throw caution to the wind and do-si-do backwards and forwards as they please.",
        TIP_WILSON_UNI = "Wilson chose the path of an independent Gentleman Scientist after finding the university environment to be too stifling for a man of his ambitions. (The enormous bill the university sent him to pay for repairs to the chemistry lab had absolutely nothing to do with this.)",
        TIP_WINONA_CHARLIE = "Growing up, Winona always looked out for her younger sister. Even now, she can't help but feel that one day she'll be able to reach out into the darkness and pull Charlie back.",
        TIP_MAXWELL_SURVIVORS = "Once the King of the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell now finds himself surviving alongside the very people he once tormented. Needless to say, it makes for a bit of an... awkward atmosphere.",
        TIP_MAXWELL_PAST = "Maxwell (née William Carter) was once nothing more than a humble stage magician, until the discovery of a mysterious tome changed the course of his life forever.",
        TIP_DARKNESS_CHARLIE = "In the Constant, the darkness has a name. Have you met Charlie yet?",
        TIP_WARNING = "\"Nothing here is what it seems. If you're reading this, keep an eye on the rabbits, don't trust the statues, and don't mistake that thing hanging in the night sky for the moon...\" -W",
        TIP_WOODIE = "Even with all the steps Woodie has taken to control his were-curse, there's little that can be done on nights when the moon is at its fullest.",
        TIP_WILLOW = "Nothing brings Willow more comfort than snuggling her faithful teddy bear Bernie, and committing a playful bit of arson.",
        TIP_WICKERBOTTOM = "Wickerbottom is of the firm belief that the pen is mightier than the sword. Words hold great power when used correctly.",
        TIP_WENDY = "Nothing could ever come between Wendy and her twin sister Abigail. Some bonds transcend even death.",
        TIP_WEBBER = "Once upon a time, a little boy was swallowed up whole by a big hungry spider. Now they share everything; a body, a mind, and the name Webber.",
        TIP_WALTER = "Walter's time in the Pinetree Pioneers has made him more prepared than most for surviving in the wilderness. Unfortunately, this is undermined somewhat by his blind fascination with monsters.",

},

LOADING_SCREEN_CONTROL_TIPS =
    {
        TIP_HOLD_INSPECT = "Hold {inspect} to inspect the world around you.",
        TIP_HOLD_ACTION = "Hold {action} to automatically pick up nearby items and perform actions. Just make sure you're holding the right tool for the job!",
        TIP_ROTATE_CAMERA = "Press {rotateleft} & {rotateright} to rotate your view of the world.",
        TIP_SHOW_MAP = "Press {map} to take a quick glance at your map.",
        TIP_PLAYER_STATUS = "Keep tabs on your fellow Survivors by pressing the {playerstatus} key.",

TIP_ENDLESS_MODE = "When creating a new world, switch the Game Mode to Endless to allow you and your friends to revive themselves at the Florid Postern.",
        TIP_DISABLE_TIPS = "Is your mind already bursting with secret knowledge? You can turn off Loading Tips anytime in the Options menu.",
        TIP_ROLLBACK = "Server hosts can roll back one day or regenerate the world by accessing the Server Commands menu in the Pause Screen.",
        TIP_DICEVOTE = "Access the Server Commands menu from the Pause Screen to start votes or roll a dice.",
        TIP_WORLDGEN = "Meddle with World Gen settings in the Options menu to shape a world to your liking.",
        TIP_VIGNETTES = "Customize your loading screens in the Vignette section of the Curio Cabinet if you're looking for a little change of scenery.",

-- This tip needed for non-binded controls fallback tip string
        TIP_BIND_CONTROLS = "Play with Controls Settings in the Options Menu to fit your control needs.",
    },

LOADING_SCREEN_CONTROL_TIPS_CONSOLE =
    {
        --TIP_CONSOLE = "This is a console tip!",
    },

LOADING_SCREEN_CONTROL_TIPS_NOT_CONSOLE =
    {
        TIP_FORCE_ATTACK = "Hold {modifier} + {attack} to attack anything that looks at you sideways, even friends.",
        TIP_ATTACK = "Hold {attack} to attack enemies.",
        TIP_HOLD_MOUSE = "Hold down {primary} to automatically harvest nearby items or attack, whatever suits your fancy!",
        TIP_HALF_STACK = "Hold {modifier} and {primary} on stacks of items in your inventory to quickly grab half the stack.",
        TIP_DROP_ITEMS = "Hold {modifier} and {secondary} to quick drop items from your inventory.",
        TIP_INSPECT_SELF = "Press {inspectself} to take a look at which item and character skins you are using.",
        TIP_CHAT = "Press {chat} to talk to other players. If you wish to speak privately, press {whisper} to whisper to someone.",
        TIP_INVENTORY_SLOTS = "Press {inv_0}-{inv_9} to quickly use items carried in your main inventory.",

--TIP_EMOTES = "Show how you really feel! Emotes and dances can be done in the text chat.",
    },

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 1

love this update so much already! the wolfgang changes are everything i couldve asked for: wimpy has a purpose, alternative options to get mightiness, dumbells are more viable, i was really unhappy with the rework initially but i might consider playing him again in the future after this. the cobblestone is dirt cheap now and i am hype to start laying down long roads for the first time, me and my friend just weatherpained like 600 stone fruit so we have rocks to get rid of. just a couple qualms: it seems like you cant favorite or pin item skins, so if you craft them from the pin or favorite sections theyre always default. Also, clicking on the far left side of my screen doesnt craft the pinned items or open the menu, i need to move a few pixels to the right which is annoying when im trying to work quickly. be nice if i could just swing my mouse to the edge of my screen to select like before. thanks for the QoL klei

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rossiyan said:

it seems like you cant favorite or pin item skins, so if you craft them from the pin or favorite sections theyre always default.

When I change the skin in the bottom right part and then pin it, the pin will be with the skin it was as.

image.thumb.png.2908eb5793ef019bbb390d64bef39c31.png

Edited by SomebodyRandom
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

When I change the skin in the bottom right part and then pin it, the pin will be with the skin it was as.

ah, same happens for me now too. mightve been a weird bug from using giveallrecipes. it still doesnt save skins in favorites though

7 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Currently, the Pinned Recipes always reset when I load into the world.

same with me for both pinned and favorites

"Multiple world events (Winters Feast, Year of the Carrat, Midsummer Cawnival, ect) can now be enabled at the same time, you can find these new settings in the world settings menu."

oh I'm gonna have fun with that

9 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Except for Wurt's marsh turf recipe.

Why? Because screw them, that's why.

Thats probably an oversite since this is, you know, work in progress. 

So, they changed hound attacks...

Spoiler

unknown.png

They might need to adjust them spawning Vargs. 1 1800 HP varg is already really hard to take down, let alone when it comes every few days. They might need to lower it's HP to compensate for the fact they kinda just come whenever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shopcat 4

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

They might need to adjust them spawning Vargs. 1 1800 HP varg is already really hard to take down, let alone when it comes every few days. They might need to lower it's HP to compensate for the fact they kinda just come whenever.

true, but I actually kinda like the idea of Wargs comin every once in a while. I do hope the number of days required for one to spawn is on the higher end though

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

1 is already kinda hard to deal with.

Multiple on top of huge hound wave is impossible to deal with.

• Sad 1

I tried the Beta, and while I didn't get around to the Wolfgang Changes, I did try the new menu, which was the biggest part (probably)

Since when I saw the teaser, I was concerned. Not for mouse users, but for controller users. I know that Don't Starve isn't exactly the game that is optimal with a controller, but it always worked well enough, and a new crafting UI could solve the issue, of crafting being to slow on a controler (albeit even with autopause it's a lenthy process)

In practice however, the UI for controlers is worse (I'll get to that later though)

Let's start with the mouse: At first it felt weird that the same item is in multiple tabs, however, you get used to it. In practice, this menu is probably faster than the old one, based on the fact alone that you can search your items. I also like the addition of favorites. In a lengthy fight, it's a good thing to not have to open the whole menu to craft a helmet, e.g.

As for use with the controller... I already find that the game can be a little hard to play, on a TV. I not only play on PC but I also have the PS4 edition. And the inventory is tiny! And this new UI made that a whole lot worse. Of course, the beta isn't on PlayStation, but I can imagine that it would be even harder to see, especially, since most icons are B&W. As for controling it: I just think that there are too many buttons. It's really easy to overshoot a given item / tab. It takes longer to build an item, if you know where it is, compared to the old UI (leaving out favourites). The probably biggest hurdle is the search bar. Every major controller (except for the Steam Controller which is the best controller ever btw) sucks at typing. And so the advantage of fast crafting is gone. Well it still serves the purposte of searching, but still.

Speaking of the favourites bar, it's also somewhat clunky. Opening the crafting menu always brings you to the point that's the furthest away from the bar. It takes about 2.5 seconds to get to the bar which is... counterintuitive. But I do know that this is a beta and will probably be adjusted.

A thing that I am sure is a glitch is that if you press down 3 times on the character filter, while playing as a character that doesn't have unique items (aka Wilson or WX) the cursor will just be gone. Poof! "Bye, have a great time!"

Youre also unable to

-Control the menu with the left analogue stick

-change skins.

Keep these glitches only apply for controller users. I understand, that controller isn't the best way to play, but I also feel like you shouldn't make it overly hard, just because it's a minority. Perhaps do something like the integrated Backpack? Meaning that you have a special UI for controllers only (yes I know that integrated backpack is now also for mouse users.)

All of this might sound pretty harsh, but the thing is, the old UI isn't the best of the best either. It had weird inconsitencies like the Prestihatitator, a magic item being in the magic tab, but the think tank, a seafaring item being in the science tab. It was slow for controller users and a nightmare for new players. However, it was more reined than the new one is.

This significant change also makes me uncertain about Don't Starve's future (the single player version). It's very clear, that it will probably stay the way it is and not receive the massive content changes. A good thing to distinguish the 2! However, it hasn't had glitch fixes for quite some time (And there are glitches, escpecially in terms of beefalo taming) and this new and frankly radical change may drive away people from trying the awesome single player DLC!

So yeah, I'm sure that a lot of these issues will be fixed when the final release comes out but to sum it up here are some suggestions:

• Fix the cursor disappearnce bug. after pressing down 3 times when in a filter, that doesn't feature items.
  • Add the ability to change skins using controllers.
  • Add support for the left analouge stick when crafting
  • Improve the search functionality, for controlers which aren't the Steam Controller
  • (Maybe add specialized Controller UI ?)

Ok bye have a great time

• Like 3

Well it seems that lore tips mostly boil down to characters. Luckily flavour text is always nice to read, even when it's just a different echo of the same sound. Plus giving survivors more than one line of dialogue opens up doors for a better understanding of each character. How'd they actually talk instead of throwing some one-liners. 

Here are some of my suggestions:

-Explain Crabs' existance and make Crows more than just a seasonal event. Some lore about the Constant's humanoid species.

-...that is except the Ancients. Their lore is what I'd call one of the pillars of ds/t story and reducing it to a loading screen flavour text would be wrong

-...that being said expanding on the new Ancient Guardian and revisiting its story I wouldn't mind

-Something about the Forge and Gorge. Klei, for the love of God, stop acting like the gateway arc never happened. Do what you will with Forge, but when it comes to Gorge... I'd like you to simply give us hope that you haven't forgotten Mumsy and Billy and that they might come to the Constant.

-Some bits of semi-lore-heavy conversations of the survivors: 'You know what happened here don't you? This place is overflowing with that fuel of yours... Speak. Up.' or 'When we came back to this plane they were nowhere to be seen. The crossing disappeared and God knows where they might be now...'

-Some flavour text regarding singleplayer's dlcs. Somethin along the lines of 'I'm telling you, every time I tried to flee I just ended up in a different part of this hell!' 

-'The more peices of the altars we gather the weirder he acts. And that's a lot given his usual behaviour'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

true, but I actually kinda like the idea of Wargs comin every once in a while. I do hope the number of days required for one to spawn is on the higher end though

I can get behind it somewhat, but I do feel they might need to be toned down a bit. Even if it currently reduces the amount of hounds you get in a wave (My friend got ridiculously unlucky with 3 vargs, I got 1 and 4-5 hounds from my first post-patch wave), the hounds it summons will quickly become a problem, especially in a field environment.

I feel like the easiest way to "fix" them is reduce their HP from 1800 to 600 HP, cap the max amount you can get to 1, and the total amount of hounds they summon per howl by 1. It would still make them a pretty severe threat given that they can endlessly summon hounds, just not absolutely ridiculous to deal with every 3-7 days.

Edited by Maxil20
  • Like 6

first impressions:

update is absolutely amazing, the menu is great tho I still think it need more color, but the way you can customize it is soo good. Crafting changes to turfs are also just great, would love if they'd stack up to more than 10 but still, amazing. 

AG is fun, definitely way better, and the loot table changes are very very welcome.

Wolf changes are also good, made gyms less mandatory, I think he's in a better place. Few bugs but it's to be expected, can't wait for it to go live to test on console. 

10/10 overall. 

• Like 1