March Quality of Life Beta is Live!

It really bothers me that moving my cursor too far away from the crafting menu automatically un-pauses the game. It doesn't seem intuitive that it would do that, and if you play in windowed you may un-pause just by alt tabbing back in.

Edit:

It looks like this behavior is intended. I found the offending code. There seems to be a flag to denote it can be turned off, but the setting doesn't seem to be implemented yet. "widgets/redux/craftingmenu_hud.lua"

function CraftingMenuHUD:OnUpdate(dt)
    if self.needtoupdate then
		self:RebuildRecipes()

self.craftingmenu:Refresh() 
		self.pinbar:Refresh()

self.needtoupdate = false
    end

-- close the crafting menu if the mouse moves too far away from it
    if self.craftingmenu:IsEnabled() and not self.preventautoclose then
		local x_precent = (TheInput:GetScreenPosition().x / TheSim:GetScreenSize()) / TheFrontEnd:GetCraftingMenuScale()
		if self.delay_autoclose then
			self.delay_autoclose = x_precent > 0.45	-- require the player to mouse into the menu a little before turning auto close on. This is to handle when the mouse is on the righthand side of the screen when the crafting menu is opened.
		else
			if x_precent > 0.50 then
				self.owner.HUD:CloseCrafting()
			end
		end
    end

end

I wish the shortcuts allowed for lists. I could click on one shortcut and I could just see the list elements fold up from the shortcut.

I wish if I was missing a required sub recipe, clicking on it from the shortcut would open the recipe in the crafting menu.

I wish there was a hotkey to not just build, but auto-equip. Say left click to build, right click to auto equip after build.

I wish that clicking on a sub recipe would quick forward me to its recipe page, and a back button was present to return to the previous recipe.

Consider this flow:

1. Click on Alchemy Engine. I see I am missing the Electrolytic Converters required to complete it.
  2. From the requirements list I click on the Electrolytic Converters icon.
  3. The Electrolytic Converters recipe is now up and I can click build.
  4. I can then hit back to return to the Alchemy Engine if I so choose to complete its build.

This doesn't really require a full history to be kept. Just the max depth of the build tree until I move away to another build tree.

Edited by Dallen

I tried the beta for the first time last night and I ran into a bug/annoying issue. When cooking stuff over a fire, using the fast method (holding down click instead of spam clicking), my character would cook like 2 or 3 items and then immediately run away from the fire and attempt to pick up ground items. I used mods and am now moving back to school after spring break so I can't really test this in a vanilla world, but does anyone else have this issue? (I also ran into a bug where a hound attack would make the noise but never showed up. Someone reported a similar bug about Bearger and it was marked "Fixed")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

I tried the beta for the first time last night and I ran into a bug/annoying issue. When cooking stuff over a fire, using the fast method (holding down click instead of spam clicking), my character would cook like 2 or 3 items and then immediately run away from the fire and attempt to pick up ground items. I used mods and am now moving back to school after spring break so I can't really test this in a vanilla world, but does anyone else have this issue? (I also ran into a bug where a hound attack would make the noise but never showed up. Someone reported a similar bug about Bearger and it was marked "Fixed")

Yes it's super annoying. Due to the new autograb and autofight features they copied onto the mouse the game will now transition from all mouse actions like cooking and chopping into fighting and grabbing. Pick breaks underground, you instantly try to grab your lantern. Fueling a fire during a boss fight, you rush the boss with a walking cane.

It used to also constantly change targets, too, making the ice staff nearly unusable. They've for the most part made your attacks stick to one target now but it will still switch if you get hit.

Edited by Cheggf
Phone

Please get the old crafting menu back or at least make an option to use it instead of this. You're focusing too much on the new players, leaving the us, the old players who were here since the game came out behind, it almost hurts. I love Don't Starve with my whole heart, but the changes lately... Not the best but bearable, i was trying to get used to it all, but this crafting menu is such a drastic change, and the most importantly unasked for, i personally find it unpractical and overall bad and confusing, honestly I don't even wanna play the game anymore just because of it..

And I'm not the only one thinking that, all of my friends who i spoke to said they dislike the menu changes and would very much appreciate the old menu coming back at least as an option. Please Klei, don't leave the players thanks to whom you got so far behind..

20 minutes ago, sullgara said:

Please get the old crafting menu back or at least make an option to use it instead of this. You're focusing too much on the new players, leaving the us, the old players who were here since the game came out behind, it almost hurts

Nah, a lotta veterans prefer this one, including myself. It's not about being friendly to new players, it's that the old one is terribly worse compared to this and most people arguing against really have all their arguments just boil down to "I hate new stuff" or don't elaborate on what they hate about the UI.

and the most importantly unasked for

Not! A load of people were complaining about the old UI for ages! Most importantly about the unholy amounts of scrolling it'd take to go anywhere, so much so that Klei had to make entirely new structures just to combat this problem before the UI rework.

appreciate the old menu coming back at least as an option.

Old UI bad and not worth keeping updated.

Edited by SomebodyRandom
  • Like 1

For controller users the new crafting tab is ridiculously slow and unintuitive compared to the old system.

This really needs to be addressed.

The favorite tab really helps the slow scrolling speed, but the resetting of your cursor really kills that slight mend.

Console edition was already much harder than PC, due to item swapping during combat being more clicks, etc, and a few slight mechanical changes ie weatherpain being melee rather than ranged...

Love the direction things are headed, the QOL, great update for PC.. don't leave your console players in the dust.

Realmente espero que puedan optimizar de mejor forma el menú de crafteo para los usuarios que jugamos con mandos, dado que es bastante confuso y dificil acceder a los artículos de creación, el anterior menú me parecía sencillo de usar, sin tanta traba, este me complica la vida y lo odio, Espero puedan poner la opción de elegir regresar al antiguo menú.