1. 1. Do you like meaty stew as a dish?

• AMAZING!!
    • Good
    • it's okay
    • meh....
    • terrible!
    • Useless as heck!

8 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Hmm, made me re-evaluate the stew comparative to the other dishes and nope- I still rank it very highly. I think the problem here is that you're not  yet well versed in getting a good amount of meat to appreciate the value of this great dish1152003610_DishTierList.thumb.png.298591859566b200466003c999bed029.png

Yeah theres a reason why in my mod worlds I have a mod I made where one of its changes is it literally doubles the hunger value of fish tacos, god that dish needs a buff badly

10 minutes ago, 0bit said:

I stopped reading at "meatballs" you guys rate meatballs way too highly 

yeah, why does everyone praise meatballs as if its faster than just eating the ingredients? and like its the fastest most efficient? meatballs are way too overrated.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Hmm, made me re-evaluate the stew comparative to the other dishes and nope- I still rank it very highly. I think the problem here is that you're not  yet well versed in getting a good amount of meat to appreciate the value of this great dish1152003610_DishTierList.thumb.png.298591859566b200466003c999bed029.png

Why is barnacle pita bad but barnacle linguine is a "best dish"? 

You can use two twigs to make barnacle pita, allowing you to use the resources for 1 linguine to make two pitas instead. Additionally in order to make a linguine you need a total vegetable value of 2 and it has 50% probability to turn into a pita, thus wasting vegetables (pita only needs a veggie value of .5, allowing mushrooms/kelp or 1 veggie). Two pitas have the same hunger value as one linguine and double the hp, but half as much sanity. Pitas also have a spoil timer of 15 days while linguine only last 6... that's more than twice as long. 

Not half sanity, its 5, but still. The more I look at it, the more the pita seems like the best barnacle dish. Fish heads only lasts 3 days and requires you to fish. Allowing 2 twigs and only .5 veggie value makes the pita super appealing imho. oh, is it because of the barnacle nigiri? That requires an egg (bird cage cluttering the boat or going back to base) while the pita can be made at sea at any time. You also basically need some sort of meat to trade to the bird and if you're giving it a barnacle well... Just make two pitas. Also has a low spoil timer.

It's great whenever you play Warly, he needs to get full with few meals. But it also works for other characters, for example when you're almost starving as you return from a trip. Or when you have more meat than veggies and want to save the veggies for other stuff. I often have a lot of crap meat assortments left in spring from frog rain and hound waves ((and beefalos slaughtered by Clopsie)), just shove it all in.

5 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Why is barnacle pita bad but barnacle linguine is a "best dish"? 

You can use two twigs to make barnacle pita, allowing you to use the resources for 1 linguine to make two pitas instead. Additionally in order to make a linguine you need a total vegetable value of 2 and it has 50% probability to turn into a pita, thus wasting vegetables (pita only needs a veggie value of .5, allowing mushrooms/kelp or 1 veggie). Two pitas have the same hunger value as one linguine and double the hp, but half as much sanity. Pitas also have a spoil timer of 15 days while linguine only last 6... that's more than twice as long. 

Not half sanity, its 5, but still.

Gotta admit, Pita, Meatloaf and even Ratatouille had me conflicted. They are designed as punishment dishes so I placed them there. The reason why I'd almost never cook them consciously is because they are inherently worse than the other potentials of their ingredients and it feels like a waste but the dishes themselves are not bad at all, perfectly deserving to be in the mediocre tier- its stats are identical to bunwich and muffin after all. In the case of Barnacles, it's really easy to turn them to pita using the kelp during sea voyages but I just don't like missing out on the beautiful 75 hunger of Linguine & Fishheads, 20 sanity of linguine or 40 HP of nigiri. Pita is superior in spoilage for sure but it just doesn't give the same nice fulfilment. Just like the Meatballs vs Stew debate, sometimes more strict recipes with less or no room for fillers can be better than more open, filler demanding recipes even if they accept inedibles. 

That said, "it has 50% probability to turn into a pita" part must be wrong, the wiki agrees with you, stating that both dishes have 25 priority but that cannot be accurate, I was never not able to make linguine after putting in 2 barnacles and 2 vegetables, nor did I ever end up with pita with that recipe. There must be some sort of sorcery going on. It also wouldn't make much sense that the sole recipe for Linguine would always result in uncertainty, no dish is always uncertain.

35 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The more I look at it, the more the pita seems like the best barnacle dish.

It is the best barnacle dish in the same vein as meatballs are the best meat dish. Mathematically it might be sound to make more of the easily mass produced dish but in practice the big-bang-for-buck dish ends up being better than the mediocre alternative, at least in my personal experience. Less time spent with the crock pot, better stats per single dish and barnacles are collected in bulks, less fillers spent, more ingredients used before rotting as well as stone fruits easily providing the needed veggies at sea, if not, RWYS farms or even cornfish.

25 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

The beautiful 75 hunger of Linguine

That's the part I don't understand. Pita is cheaper.

2 barnacles + 2 veggies= linguine

1 barnacle + .5 veggie= Pita

If you make two pitas you save your pumpkins/carrots (or whatever you're using). Losing on the 10 sanity for a much cheaper dish doesn't sound like a punishment at all. 

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I hate meaty stew too, but that's only because I hate all crockpot dishes equally.

Sincerely,

A wormwood main.

Ps. Raw foods for the win.

Edit: Jelly beans are the exception. 

Yea why even bother cooking for hunger. I planted about 30 giant trees around base and now i just live on figs lol get like a stack of them every other day. Honey is great too the best food in the game imo

9 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

It is the best barnacle dish in the same vein as meatballs are the best meat dish.

You have meatballs in the best category as well. 

Mathematically it might be sound to make more of the easily mass produced dish but in practice the big-bang-for-buck dish ends up being better than the mediocre alternative, at least in my personal experience. Less time spent with the crock pot, better stats per single dish and barnacles are collected in bulks, less fillers spent, more ingredients used before rotting as well as stone fruits easily providing the needed veggies at sea, if not, RWYS farms or even cornfish.

It kinda does all of that... Less fillers spent (twigs), can be made in bulk easily (no fishing required), ingredients last a long time (twigs don't even rot). The longer time spent by the crockpot is true but you make them while sailing and 37.5 isn't that mediocre when you only need 2 a day for most characters. I think the sanity is even less important once you have a tam. Having a longer spoil timer also means you can make one bulk session and spend less time on the crockpots overall. 

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky as it is your list lol. I just started sailing more often and realized how good pita is if I decided to go that route. 

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Okay I'm poorly versed in crockpot recipes and just make whatever cool-looking thing my current ingredients can make. Do you or anyone else have a nice in-depth read up on why these foods in these these tiers? Especially the mechanically Broken tier.

12 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

That's the part I don't understand. Pita is cheaper.

2 barnacles + 2 veggies= linguine

1 barnacle + .5 veggie= Pita

If you make two pitas you save your pumpkins/carrots (or whatever your using). Losing on the 10 sanity for a much cheaper dish doesn't sound like a punishment at all. 

Heh, I wouldn't dare dream of using pumpkins as vegetable filler in crock pot unless it's cooked and rotting, they are as potent as one pita by themselves. Usually stone fruit or excess weak crops like onions and garlic are the way to go.

Another way to look at it is: 

2 Pitas - 8 items

1 Linguine - 4 items

Twigs themselves are an important source imo and given that I have other fillers, I wouldn't be too eager to use them, especially when another potent sea recipe Figkabab also uses two, as well as all tools requiring twigs and them working greatly for boat repairs, torches, last resort fuels.

But you are right, I am criminally underselling pita just because it is designed to prevent you from making easy meatballs and fish dishes with barnacles. By their individual merit, they deserve to be at least with butter muffins or even higher. The reason I see meatballs up at top is because of their ease and versatility, ending the notion of starvation by it's lonesome. Personally I never touch meatballs again once I have access to eggs, honey, leafy meat, varied crops, barnacles or figs but it'd be unfair to rank it lower when it's the most easy dish that turns the ever-so common monster meat or morsels into a significantly filling dish, especially in feeding a group of newer players. Pita doesn't get the same pass since usually by the time you start shaving seaweed, you already have access to quite a variety of ingredients where butter muffin stats don't compete well against corporate giants like Bacon and Eggs, Honey Ham, Dragonpie or Beefy Greens at first crude glance. Linguine on the other hand, does a good job at competing with them since in a camp with active agriculture or stone fruit bushes, making 6 linguine greatly fills the stomachs and minds of the denizens of the camp.

43 minutes ago, AlternateMew said:

Okay I'm poorly versed in crockpot recipes and just make whatever cool-looking thing my current ingredients can make. Do you or anyone else have a nice in-depth read up on why these foods in these these tiers? Especially the mechanically Broken tier.

Ah, I wish to compile all my opinions on crock pot dishes in a steam guide someday but it's a long process :P There might be good guides out there though, sadly the ones I encountered are either too surface level, containing misinformation or outdated. 

2 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

I'm far from an expert, but I do know that trying to cook seafood gumbo for my cookbook was surprisingly difficult, because of the strangely strict requirements for the recipe. It needs an eel because of how fish and meat are calculated in DST compared to SW. So, my guess is that it's ranked low because of the eel requirement making it more difficult to cook than it's worth. And if you have an eel, you might as well make fishsticks, which can use a twig and other things as filler, and gives the same hunger and health as gumbo, though a bit less sanity. Using the eel, or worse, multiple eels, in gumbo seems like a bad deal in comparison, I think.

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Twigs themselves are an important source imo and given that I have other fillers, I wouldn't be too eager to use them, especially when another potent sea recipe Figkabab also uses two, as well as all tools requiring twigs and them working greatly for boat repairs, torches, last resort fuels.

I've taken to using honey for filler whenever that's possible, cause you can get so much of the stuff without any maintenance and its stats are individually unimpressive.

I make Figkabobs with Fig + Monster/Leafy Meat + Honey + Twigs.

I make Dragonpie with Dragonfruit + 2x Honey + Twigs.

For Warly it's mandatory, for Wortox necessary, pretty good for all characters with 150+ hunger and Wigfrid, decent for the others and bad for Wes. Definitely one of the best dishes overall imo, as hunger is by far the one stat you'll need the most. 

8 hours ago, ShadowQueen said:

Bruh moment huh? Well that's just my opinion that it's useless... we all have our own

Btw you spelled practice wrong and beated isn't a word

Sorry for the bad spelling and thx for pointing out. 

Returning to the discussion, you'll have in this post only stupid answers like mine or others because this is NOT an opinion. Stop using terms at random (again it's a suggestion, i don't want to sound mean), you start this discussion for a dish that already all the community talked to death and already been established as a great dish. If you don't have new arguments that you discovered in the game for the meaty stew, the discussion is already finished. 

Meaty stew is a great dish and this is an objective point, not an "opinion". Watch jazzy's video or other guides to the game to understand better.

8 hours ago, Spino43 said:

P/s: Funny how people still think Meatballs is good when there are way better crockpot recipes that only requires you to put it a bit more effort to make them.

The problem is in the game itself too. It doesn't incentivize to search better dishes, especially if meatballs cover all the possible outcomes in the crockpot when you try experiment a new recipe. 

More if you think 70%, maybe 80%, dishes are total useless or almost situationals at best. The food in don't starve needs a big revist and re-balance. 

Archived