What are some additional sailing QOL you guys would like to see?

I know that everyone's naturally excited about the new biome, but personally I'm equally as thrilled to just see Klei making general boat improvements as well. Admittedly though, I have very little in game sailing experience myself, so I was curious to hear what some other people think would be small but helpful changes.

As other's have already suggested, I'd love it if you could use the sea fishing rod to reel in any items floating in the water, maybe doing away with the whole "accuracy" in these particular instances so you don't have to get lucky just to grab a piece of driftwood. Funnily enough, I'd like this particularly just so I can make my tackle receptacle without having to build a boat first and giving me a place to put my down quill float advert.

And it might be a bit more than a QOL, but I kinda wish that the deck illuminator would provide heat and allow cooking like a campfire. I know that I could just build an actual fire pit but space is limited after all. And this is just a personal gripe, but a fire pit on a boat just bugs me aesthetically. I had a similar issue with the slanty shanty in hamlet, but I found a nifty little mod that let you build a fire place with the same function.

So how about you guys?

Being able to chain boats together somehow. That way you can have one central boat have an anchor, have one boat have sails, one boat have crockpots etc. 

Basically an actual moving base made up of connected boats. A mega boat

Like... A power ranger mecha...

Its morphing time!

3 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

And it might be a bit more than a QOL, but I kinda wish that the deck illuminator would provide heat and allow cooking like a campfire. I know that I could just build an actual fire pit but space is limited after all. And this is just a personal gripe, but a fire pit on a boat just bugs me aesthetically. I had a similar issue with the slanty shanty in hamlet, but I found a nifty little mod that let you build a fire place with the same function.

Some say that Deck Illuminators not providing heat helps during Summer exploration. Personally I wish it didn't had it's half fuel value penalty.

Not really about sailing but I'd like an overhaul on the Rockjaw's AI and a better loot so it makes it worth fight them and not a pain.

My wishes- make DST play more like Shipwrecked AKA: instead of having the majority of resources all on one cluster of land, scatter them about throughout the ocean like an “Archipelago” 

Make sailing by yourself less of a pain in the backside- Aka: Allow us to use Dpad/Button prompts to have A.I. Controlled crewmates raise/low sails or drop anchors.. just play Atlas and you will see what I mean, even while playing without a “tribe” you can hire A.I. Crew to help steer the ship.

Remove a lot of the useless and boring stuff out in the ocean I feel is just “filler content” maybe it’s a placeholder for planned fun content rich island expansions later or whatever, but I think we can all agree Seastacks are no fun at all..

Lastly, make the sea more interesting in of itself.. The new Sea-Forest Biome is a great start to what could be an awesome experience as long as Klei continues to put creativity into it.. I would like to see more life on and at sea but I’ve already a whole thread about that.. Just make sailing fun, and give us places to sail to!

I would like a zoomed out camera when sailing so i dont have to spam the map buttom

Picking things with the rod

Some loot added to CK to be worth refighting him (and ajust to his gems stats). And some fight changes like a direct atack so it doesnt feel that weird fighting him, maybe his claws could hit you sometimes instead of always grabbing the boat

More light radius for the deck iluminator to be useful. I dont feel like giving heat or being able to be used to cook have sense (how do you cook if is that high?), i just wanna see at night

More % drop for cutter shells

More variety of loot for sink treasures

Faster anchor so you dont waste half minute to elevate it

Rockjaws and gnarwails aggro consistency fix (why they leave like nothing?)

Ability to wet things with the fire pump to prevent smouldering so you can fish in summer without losing lures for having to stop damn fires when a fish bite the lure

A fish registry would be lovely

Boat types. Pls let me waste driftwood on something

An use for having that many fish types. Maybe another trader or add stuff to pearl plus rework merm king loot table arround this (and remove the damn kelp and rot from it)

Isnt so related to boats but pls, finish the celestial crafting tab

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

make cookie cutter shells drop 100% of the time..... pplaease........ i beg

Yea that would be nice

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Being able to chain boats together somehow. That way you can have one central bow have an anchor, have one boat have sails, one boat have crockpots etc. 

Basically an actual moving base made up of connected boats. A mega boat

Like... A power ranger mecha...

Its morphing time!

Getting "Raft" vibes from that idea.. Yea that would be pretty amazing.

6 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

I kinda wish that the deck illuminator would provide heat and allow cooking like a campfire. I know that I could just build an actual fire pit but space is limited after all.

We already have a space-efficient way of keeping warm while sailing: Scorching Sunfish. That's basically their primary purpose, really.

The inability to cook does kinda irk me, but at the same time, the ocean offers immediate access to Salt Crystals and Salt Boxes. Plus, Fish Morsels and Fish Meat are ok to eat raw. And, in my experience, a crock pot would be a far better investment for your boat than a firepit, because the ocean has some amazing recipes. (But I'm not gonna lie, seeing Wilson climb the mast, open the lantern thingy and shove the food inside to cook would be fun.)

The halved fuel efficiency is probably my least favorite thing about the Deck Illuminator.

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Not really about sailing but I'd like an overhaul on the Rockjaw's AI and a better loot so it makes it worth fight them and not a pain.

I hope one day we'll be able to get out hands on the eponymous rock jaw. Then again, the idea of locking some item behind one of the most annoying mobs in the game is not terribly appealing to me.

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

More light radius for the deck iluminator to be useful.

To be fair, it does illuminate the deck pretty well, so you get what you pay for. :P

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Rockjaws and gnarwails aggro consistency

The Rockjaws, at least, are supposed to deaggro "randomly". I think it's something like if they jump on the boat but fail to hit anything 3 times in a row, they swim away. Pretty annoying nonetheless.

Okay, my turn: BUFF GNARWAILS

They are one of the worst recruitable allies, probably the worst after Smallbirds. And the only reason they surpass Smallbirds is because you can offer Gnarwails meat as a way to lure them into melee range and whack them dead. Their attacks are more dangerous to your boat than they are to whatever threat they are trying to protect you from and their item tossing is inaccurate and rarely used in the first place.

My incredibly niche sailing suggestion: small beefalo hitching post for boats :-D

Bigger light radius on deck illuminator would be really appreciated.. i use a fire pit just for the light radius even though i dont like the thought of a firepit on a boat either, it looks really weird. 

hm.. what about an upgraded deck illuminator made out of moon glass that can house moon gleams for a really big light radius?

4 hours ago, SonicDen220 said:

Make seasonal fish much more common, particularly ice breams and sunfish. Even if you set fish schools to tons in the world settings, you may still end up sailing the whole summer/winter without catching even one...

Or when you finally find an school a shark or squids will spawn and eat them all...

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'd like a cage for birds.

811906970_CrowsNest.thumb.png.bb14208973d0002b50766e4fbf54a83b.pngSame, I'd love a mast version of a bird cage, and I love the idea behind "Crow's Nest" mod (by Hornet & QuartzBeam) in the workshop so my ideal seafaring structure would be that with birdcage properties and still functioning like a crow's nest that alerts players about what's the first object/biome in the way the boat is headed.

-Allow Crabby Hermit to catch, kill and dry fish. Right now she simply reels the fish in untill her line breaks. Also allow her to harvest her bee box and possible nearby kelp fonds.

-Add some background bugs that we can't interact with that'll eat any rot/rotten eggs laying on the ground. Or simply make those things disappear after a while (though that's more boring)

-Allow mutated birds to spawn on the lunar islands. As passive mobs ofc.

-Increase the ammount of farming actions required for the music to start. I'm playing as Wormwood so I end up hearing that annoying music every single time I interact with seeds. Make it so that if a player performs at least 4 farming-related actions the music starts playing.

-Remove the waterfowl can blueprint from Malbatross' drop pool and add it as a alchemy-level tool. Neither deerclops, moose/goose nor bearger drop blueprints for items that use their drops.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Idk lore wise if they can reach the island by their own. Maybe they can have mutations with new loot when teleported there. Would be cool to have creepy versions of them. Even moose goose nesting there

what do you mean

they definitely can spawn on the moon island

50 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Oh, i see. I never experience it by myself but some users talking back in the day that they spawn there if you receive the warning in the main island and go fast to the moon island.

So is canon that they swim xD

what you're saying is correct, they only spawn on the lunar island if you get the warning on the main island, and then zoom fast to the lunar island in under a minute.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

what you're saying is correct, they only spawn on the lunar island if you get the warning on the main island, and then zoom fast to the lunar island in under a minute.

I play with giants set to "Tons" so maybe that is the cause

Also, perhaps a mechanic where gnarwail/shark/malbatross spawns could become more likely the more times they fail? For example, there's a base 7.5% chance for a gnarwail/shark to spawn out at sea when a school fish spawns, if that chance fails, then perhaps it could be increased by 0.5% chance the next time the game tries to spawn a school of fish, and gets reset back to 7.5% when a gnarwail/shark finally spawns.

I really despise the gnarwail rng sometimes and i've gone 10s of days on end without seeing a gnarwail and it makes it really annoying to craft strident tridents...

Also, healing values for logs, twigs repairing boats is kinda weird? Logs and driftwood only heal 6.25 while twigs heal 13. Boards do heal 50, so maybe the idea there is to encourage the player to refine logs into boards to heal? Still weird to me though.

Archived