What are some additional sailing QOL you guys would like to see?

29 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Also, perhaps a mechanic where gnarwail/shark/malbatross spawns could become more likely the more times they fail? For example, there's a base 7.5% chance for a gnarwail/shark to spawn out at sea when a school fish spawns, if that chance fails, then perhaps it could be increased by 0.5% chance the next time the game tries to spawn a school of fish, and gets reset back to 7.5% when a gnarwail/shark finally spawns.

I really despise the gnarwail rng sometimes and i've gone 10s of days on end without seeing a gnarwail and it makes it really annoying to craft strident tridents...

I think some sort of lure or bait would be perfect for this. Mostly because I'd only like to face them if I really want to, rather than a slowly increasing chance...

Perhaps sweetfish (or similar out of the way ingredient for balance) and monster meat for a bucket of chum to attract rockjaws/gnarwails. 

Or tracking suspicious bubbles like we did in shipwrecked for them.  

16 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

That's basically how they spawn currently. You sail aimlessly until the gnarwail/bubble pops up.

I'm confused... I've never seen the tracks for them? I checked the wiki and still nothing.

In shipwrecked it was pretty common to come across suspicious bubbles like every 1-3 days of sailing.

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I'm confused... I've never seen the tracks for them? I checked the wiki and still nothing.

In shipwrecked it was pretty common to come across suspicious bubbles like every 1-3 days of sailing.

Quartz is saying that the way bubbles and gnarwails spawn are essentially the "same", in shipwrecked you wondered aimlessly to try and find a bubble, and in DST you also try to sail aimlessly to try and find a gnarwail.

of course though, bubbles occur a LOT more and are guranteed to, so I think this argument is kinda silly.

Anyway

Back to the chum bucket idea.

Given how punishing Rockjaws are I don't think its unbalanced to have a guaranteed way to spawn either.

Throw some chum in school of fish and have a 50/50 chance to spawn either one.

If you get a gnarwail then the next time you throw chum it becomes 25/75 (shark being the higher one), and finally 10/90. 

Then there being a global cool down or a cool down per school of fish. 

13 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Being able to chain boats together somehow. That way you can have one central bow have an anchor, have one boat have sails, one boat have crockpots etc. 

Basically an actual moving base made up of connected boats. A mega boat

Like... A power ranger mecha...

Its morphing time!

In a somewhat similar vein, I thought it would be neat if there more boat kits like a smaller boat that cost less and a larger boat that cost more. A larger boat would offer more building space, and a smaller one would be more economical and easier to navigate, maybe even faster when using an oar to row with.

12 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Some say that Deck Illuminators not providing heat helps during Summer exploration. Personally I wish it didn't had it's half fuel value penalty.

That's true, if it were the case then personally I would just opt to use my lantern for light during any summer sailing and bring some extra lightbulbs in the ice box.

11 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

More light radius for the deck iluminator to be useful. I dont feel like giving heat or being able to be used to cook have sense (how do you cook if is that high?), i just wanna see at night

That's fair, but is it really any less silly than having a bon fire pit on a wooden boat? :P Or just having to climb up there to fuel it at all for that matter?

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

We already have a space-efficient way of keeping warm while sailing: Scorching Sunfish. That's basically their primary purpose, really.

The inability to cook does kinda irk me, but at the same time, the ocean offers immediate access to Salt Crystals and Salt Boxes. Plus, Fish Morsels and Fish Meat are ok to eat raw. And, in my experience, a crock pot would be a far better investment for your boat than a firepit, because the ocean has some amazing recipes. (But I'm not gonna lie, seeing Wilson climb the mast, open the lantern thingy and shove the food inside to cook would be fun.)

The halved fuel efficiency is probably my least favorite thing about the Deck Illuminator.

For sure, but as SonicDen pointed out, it can take quite a while to catch them, and even if they were more common they're still only available during their respective seasons, so I think that having the mast illuminator as a heat source would still be worth while if only to tide you over until you do catch some. I definitely agree that a crock pot as well as an ice box are a must have for boats. I guess the only real reason I'd want the mast illuminator to be able to cook food would be to extend the shelf life of meat, and even then I'd probably only use it for monster meat so that I have to option to dry the rest into jerky when I return to the main island.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Also, healing values for logs, twigs repairing boats is kinda weird? Logs and driftwood only heal 6.25 while twigs heal 13. Boards do heal 50, so maybe the idea there is to encourage the player to refine logs into boards to heal? Still weird to me though.

Even if you craft them into Boards, you only end up getting 50/4 = 12.5 HP per Log, which is still (slightly) less than the 13 HP you get per Twig.
But perhaps it's supposed to encourage saving your Logs to make Boat Patches instead?

Not sure what the deal with Driftwood is though.

2 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

For sure, but as SonicDen pointed out, it can take quite a while to catch them, and even if they were more common they're still only available during their respective seasons, so I think that having the mast illuminator as a heat source would still be worth while if only to tide you over until you do catch some

I don't see what's wrong with them not being immediately available?

Your first boat is always gonna be worse than your late game boat by a huge margin: no quadruple Winged Sails, no Driftwood Oars / Malbatross Beaks, no fancy fishing equipment and Spectackler Box to keep it in, no Salt Box.

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Your first boat is always gonna be worse than your late game boat by a huge margin: no quadruple Winged Sails, no Driftwood Oars / Malbatross Beaks, no fancy fishing equipment and Spectackler Box to keep it in, no Salt Box.

I'm sorry but are you referring to the fish themselves or a general heat source for the boat? Because I definitely agree with the sentiment of having to make do with a less efficient means of staying warm before being able to eventually upgrade to a better one.

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

-Allow Crabby Hermit to catch, kill and dry fish. Right now she simply reels the fish in untill her line breaks. Also allow her to harvest her bee box and possible nearby kelp fonds.

I think the best thing for Pearl is giving her a quest of a new fishing pole.

6 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Yes but wastin +1h sailing empty waters just to try to find a fish school being eating by a shark isnt so fun. In that season i could do so many things instead of being almost afk waiting

Fishing for seasonal fishes are pain. The only seasonal fish that spawns at the coast is the Bloomfin Tuna, the rest you have to travel a bit far, and even so their spawn chances are low as hell. Even with tons settings I keep getting corn cods or black catfishes for some dumb reason.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, HowlVoid said:

Being able to chain boats together somehow. That way you can have one central boat have an anchor, have one boat have sails, one boat have crockpots etc. 

Attach a rope to your boat! Make the ultimate raft, a wall of boats, or just an extra cool boat base. (Or act like it's your dog and take it for a walk, whatever floats your boat)

Other than Smaller & Sturdier boats and taking your boat for a walk, I personally would love to see a Crab King rework. Make his attacks not all revolve around just your boat and his fight more rewarding. Honestly if he had an attack other than just trying to freeze you and breaking your boat and also had a reward that make him worth it to fight more often I reckon I would attempt to fight him more often. (I was thinking about the blueprint for the special fishing rod for taking items on the sea, but then it'd still only have you fight him once so I'm not sure what to have as his drop)

2 hours ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Yeah, cheesing is cool. But have you tried being lactose intolerant?

I think the fight can be improved to be more fun, but I dont see why that should result in taking this unique aspect of the fight away where the boss doesn't specifically target the player.

1 hour ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Yeah, cheesing is cool. But have you tried being lactose intolerant?

If people wants to chees, they will find a way. Instead of trying to stop people from cheesing, make the fair fight with the Crab King more interesting will be more meaningful. I believe the problem with Crab King is that it is unreasonably powerful, forcing the player to take a boring and exaggerated approach (Stationary ocean wooden platforms, massive ice staff and the only gem combination) to defeat it.

Just now, Hornete said:

I think the fight can be improved to be more fun, but I dont see why that should result in taking this unique aspect of the fight away where the boss doesn't specifically target the player.

That is a fair assessment. I'm just not very good at thinking about stuff in the moment, thanks for changing my mind.

9 minutes ago, Well-met said:

crab king should most definitely slap mobs and people if it doesnt detect any boat in the vicinity

or at least the arms should

I think that he should have a direct atack, not only damaging boats (which is cool but feels weird to dont be atacked by that big guy) so the claws that he summons could do it sometimes instead of only grabbing the boat and be affected by the gems (that need a rebalance in their stats)

Alright, I gave it some thought: when Crab King is summoning Imposing Claws he summons 3 extra ones around the boat, one of them slowly attempts to bring up the anchor and 2 others try to push the boat around. If the anchor is down the Imposing claws pushing the boat deal very little damage to the boat and push it only a little. But if the other Imposing Claw successfully pulls the anchor up, the Imposing claws pushing the boat have their damage buffed by a little bit and they also push the boat slightly farther.

Also when killed, Crab King drops a Crab Claw advert which would be a lure that instead of fishing fish, it fishes items on the ocean for you. That's all I could come up with, I'm not very creative :sad: 

I always have difficulty patching up leaks on my boat also, it's always finnicky for me and it takes a while for me to get to the leak and patch it up, no idea how this could be made easier but telling you here in case you got an idea.

Less sea stacks. Even if they are slowly disappearing as more content fills up the ocean, I'd rather just not have them around in so many unnecessary places. They make mapping out the ocean too difficult.

That being said, if we had a SPYGLASS, that would help things, too... ;D

21 hours ago, SomebodyRandom said:

I always have difficulty patching up leaks on my boat also, it's always finnicky for me and it takes a while for me to get to the leak and patch it up, no idea how this could be made easier but telling you here in case you got an idea.

How about a machine that repairs leaks automatically for you? Maybe something that uses the crab claw that you suggested :D

Archived