Which crafted item/structure is the less useful?

I think mushroom planters are great if you’re Wurt or Wormwood. Wurt’s lumberjacks usually create at least one treeguard per cycle, while merm king gives otherwise useless rot; if it wasn’t for needing manure, collecting resources would almost be passive.

Wormwood is able to create them to a ridiculous degree. I’ll admit, I only prefer them to the newer farms because I’m too lazy to optimize new farms, memorize combinations, deal with weeds

5 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Structures: Composting Bin (because combos exist)

20210611162254_1.thumb.jpg.dcb662644d7288cc745469d0f7fdad4a.jpgComposting bin is pretty great, it's the Bin-lite item that helps you convert anything organic. I hope we get an upgraded bin in the future that you can throw in anything *cough cough ancient refurbisher* but till then, it does a pretty good job in throwing in any excess rot, seeds, pine cone etc. And despite using Crop combos most of the time too, using fertilizers to cap off an incomplete combo now and then or monoculture315252850_AncientRefurbisher.png.b57a46ee93836065dc608d062f983e8e.png  Garlic/Corn/Asparagus/Durian.

<PS: Add a green moonrock bin item pls

4 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Rain hat is probably the most useless gear for how expensive it is, rain is so overtuned that anything less than 100% is still really obnoxious.

I've grown to like the rain hat much more than umbrella lately. It's 70% is pretty convenient and since it's a head slot item, you can use walking cane and tools while wearing it. Whenever you approach uncomfortably wet conditions, which happens only a couple times with the rain hat, you can dry off in seconds by standing under a tree or holding anything  like pretty parasol or better.

4 hours ago, sudoku said:

Pumpkin lantern, Ice Cube, Fashion Melon, Bee mine off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, SkyistheGround said:

does anyone actually use bee mines

Certainly less used items I agree but I don't find any of them bad in what they do. Especially Fashion melon is really easy to craft and doesn't make you uncomfortably wet while I saw bee mines be pretty useful when used and they are a god sent against Crab King.

2 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

Tail o' three cats.

Who the crap actually wastes the resources and time getting this weapon?

Cat cap is the waste of resources used in crafting Tail o' three cats. It's a pretty neat weapon and I always go to celestial champion with two to keep consistent attacks standing inbetween its crystals and out of its melee range.

20210610045318_1.thumb.jpg.ac5967d718a2d8fc166bbd9a36b04993.jpg

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Not completely useless but there are far better alternatives:

1908337726_download(14).jpeg.44777cbb86ab342e67cc35ea5ed7ce2d.jpeg

An ornery beefalo pretty much replaces a bramble husk.

You can pick cactus and tank even late game hound waves, plus they have regen.

Only unique use I can think of is clearing bees after cheesing Crab king/toadstool.

Bramble husks are the certified best item in killing tentapillars. And while picking prickly items on a beefalo is a good tactic, bramble husk is a very neat alternative for picking cacti and spiky twigs.

My picks for question would be:

1- Breezy Vest; not completely useless but pathetically weak. Provides the same insulation as Rabbit earmuffs and catcap with the added disadvantage of being a body slot item.

2- Seawreath; haven't seen it mentioned yet and it's not utterly useless but it's very weak and expensive for the reverse garland effect it provides, which can never hope to upset enlightenment of the lunar island or enlightened nights.

Plantarator.png.703b4f9b63c5fb6d17d73f1c2563ba82.png3- Winona's Spotlight. Not bad in lighting unlit areas at base like chest zone or farms but uses so much fuel to function well. In order to be useful it should stop consuming energy during daytime and be paired up with a better, long lasting generator like the giant plant generator suggestion. ->

45 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

.Bramble husks are the certified best item in killing tentapillars.

The houndious shootious is actually the best at clearing them or a catapult. Once you have unlocked the entrance you can simply pretend attack it to have it cleared by the ranged structure with 0 loss, or use burning items, or simply side step the small tentapillars, etc

There are multiple ways to clear it without taking any damage making it easily the worst way to clear tentapillars.

There being superior alternatives makes this item very underwhelming. 

45 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

And while picking prickly items on a beefalo is a good tactic, bramble husk is a very neat alternative for picking cacti and spiky twigs.

Well not just a good tactic, its the best, you use no armor and the beef regens the damage. There is 0 loss, unless you're Wx-78 you're also probably going to do it faster too, and if you have a backpack you don't have to drop it everytime you pick the cactus.

I am not saying its useless but there are better methods (point of thread).

4 hours ago, NotRatty said:

Mushroom Planter: one of the worse food source in the game, hella expensive and situational

Respectfully disagree. Mushroom planters are crazy good. Requires no upkeep other than living logs which you are swimming in late game. Turns one mushroom into 4 or 6 if you use a spore. Allows you to make as many funcaps as you wish. In caves you don't even have to worry about winter either. I keep multiple planters at all my outposts especially in the caves.

Between stone fruit and mushrooms you don't ever really need to do veggie farming if you don't want to. Wig main they are especially good as I need veggie filler but don't want to waste time farming for them.

50 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

The houndious shootious is actually the best at clearing them or a catapult. Once you have unlocked the entrance you can simply pretend attack it to have it cleared by the ranged structure with 0 loss, or use burning items, or simply side step the small tentapillars, etc

nothing you said is really true, from my testing bramble husk is about as fast as abigail and if you wear a headslot armor the husk only takes like 3% damage meaning you can kill dozens of tentapillars with a single one, well worth crafting some if you want fast travel as characters other than wendy

houndius are horribly slow, if you have a beefalo you might as well just ride to wherever the other tentapillar is unless it's the atrium, the caves aren't even that big

also both tentapillars and their babies are immune to fire damage so idk why you said that lol

20 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Structures: Composting Bin (because combos exist)

I use it as a health restoration source when I play Wormwood and as a manure alternative for easy fire fuel

16 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I make garland because it looks silly and it's funny to see people who think they're a lot better than they are get mad because some dude is wandering around with some epic flowers on his head, but it really sucks. Just picking those 12 flowers already will grant 60 sanity. Even if you're going through every wormhole you see by the time you've lost ~230 sanity you should either be ready to fight shadows or have some better way to combat sanity. The 1.33 isn't realistically going to do anything to help.

I wish the garland could have a passive perk like attract butterflies, prevent killer bees to attack you similar to Wormwood when fully bloomed and/or being able to harvest bee boxes without making bees angry

5 hours ago, NotRatty said:

Mushroom Planter: one of the worse food source in the game, hella expensive and situational.

Actually I like it. I need to waste my 5 stacks of living logs + nice decor. Also when I play alone I dont need to farm, as I get lots of meats and honey (and there comes pierogi, honey ham and honey nuggets and any other dishesh where random mushrooms can be used as filler or I just need 0.5 veggie +Beefalo healing when I run out of trail mix).

My vote goes to that thing: 

Night_Light_Build.png.517fdb6958b22810db8622c7b1126da7.png

-3sanity per minute, expensive, use nightmare fuel and do not protect from temperatures. Maybe could be useful on Moon island, but there are many better uses for nightmare fuek... 

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

nothing you said is really true,

Nothing or one thing? :P

from my testing bramble husk is about as fast as abigail and if you wear a headslot armor the husk only takes like 3% damage meaning you can kill dozens of tentapillars with a single one,

But you're still taking damage. Doesn't really take long to just go around it and avoid the small ones. I believe hutch can be used to clear them also.

Don't you tend to say "faster doesn't mean better?" Especially when it comes to "optional" parts of the game Lol

well worth crafting some if you want fast travel as characters other than wendy

That's a good point I guess. I never bothered using them to fast travel as I tend to not get optimal placement.

houndius are horribly slow,

Irrelevant, you're not going to necessarily just stand there. Maybe even add two, I have two since I cheese fw.

if you have a beefalo you might as well just ride to wherever the other tentapillar is unless it's the atrium, the caves aren't even that big

That's the only reason I clear tentapillars in the first place and why I mentioned the shootious, for the atrium. 

also both tentapillars and their babies are immune to fire damage so idk why you said that lol

Thought I saw that in video, my mistake, I remembered incorrectly. 

Having one niche use doesn't make the item any less irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

you take like decimals lmao

And the two living logs? I visit the atrium very often so it pays off in the end to just have the shootious. 

I have two turrets at the ready, this is about alternative methods after all. You just get there and have it killed by floating eyes while you sort your inventory. Kill FW with 8 more floating eyes and exit with the help of floating eyes, easy peasy. 

45 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

But you're still taking damage. Doesn't really take long to just go around it and avoid the small ones. I believe hutch can be used to clear them also.

That's the only reason I clear tentapillars in the first place and why I mentioned the shootious, for the atrium. 

Having one niche use doesn't make the item any less irrelevant. 

with a decent head armor and bramble, the damage you take is in single digits. What do you mean "Doesn't really take long to just go around it and avoid the small ones.", fought a tentapillar lately? It's the most painful thing in the world without the very limited number of proper methods, it'll keep spamming the baby tentacles wherever you are and stunlock you. 

For the "niche use" it has, it does it better than most anything else. Compared to the the resources for Houndius, Gunpowder or Winona's Generators, husk is basically free. Killing tentapillars is not just for atrium either, even if your world gen isn't great to use them for traveling, you can easily get infinite tentacle drops- that's 3 uses for a task that husk does better than most anything else in the game.

And that's just the task it's best at. It's also pretty great at allowing you to pick cacti and spiky bushes and for all thing considered it's not a bad armor at all, unless it is to prevent hurting your allies that are really close, there is no reason not to use it in any battle scenario, it synergizes perfectly with any headslot armor- You get as much defense as the headgear, both gears lose less durability and you counterattack your foes, flitching them, preventing them from stunlocking you. If you make a bramble trap field, it also allows players to stand on them freely without worrying about their counterattack damage.

Sorry if I sound nitpicky but I just think Bramble husk is the best thing in Wormwood's arsenal and is a very valid reason to switch to wormwood, make as many and switch back. Don't think it belongs to the long list of "less useful" items that are outclassed by many other items considering their availability, resource use and functionality.

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

with a decent head armor and bramble, the damage you take is in single digits. What do you mean "Doesn't really take long to just go around it and avoid the small ones.", fought a tentapillar lately? It's the most painful thing in the world without the very limited number of proper methods, it'll keep spamming the baby tentacles wherever you are and stunlock you. 

Tip #4 is what I meant and what I tend to do or use hutch.

For the "niche use" it has, it does it better than most anything else. Compared to the the resources for Houndius, Gunpowder or Winona's Generators, husk is basically free.

I mean once you set up a houndious it is free, every time. Its where houndious goes after the one that kill fw with.

Killing tentapillars is not just for atrium either, even if your world gen isn't great to use them for traveling, you can easily get infinite tentacle drops- that's 3 uses for a task that husk does better than most anything else in the game.

I suposse if you dont play only as Wormwood? I don't think I've ever needed tentacles in mass, perhaps its different in multiplayer.

And that's just the task it's best at. It's also pretty great at allowing you to pick cacti and spiky bushes and for all thing considered it's not a bad armor at all,

A beef has infinite free regeneration. Almost costs nothing isn't quite the same as costing absolutely nothing after the initial set up. The latter is usually far more attractive for long lasting worlds. 

unless it is to prevent hurting your allies that are really close, there is no reason not to use it in any battle scenario,

I don't think I've ever come across a time I want to trade blows with a mob. The only time I may need to is bee queen and I'd much rather have marble armor.

It synergizes perfectly with any headslot armor- You get as much defense as the headgear, both gears lose less durability

I'd rather have the synergy provided by marble armor for Wormwood. 

and you counterattack your foes, flitching them, preventing them from stunlocking you. If you make a bramble trap field, it also allows players to stand on them freely without worrying about their counterattack damage.

Which mobs are stunlocking you by the way? 

Beefs can easily handle a late game houndwave, food is easy via green thumb, spiders can be farmed by bunnymen. I'm not trying to be elitist I really don't find a use for bramble armor. 

I tend to not get hit until I meet bishops in the ruins...

Sorry if I sound nitpicky but I just think Bramble husk is the best thing in Wormwood's arsenal

Very, very debatable.

Early game health is precious and you can kite every mob.

Mid game you can eat just carrots and monster meat and spiders are easy to kite.

Late game farms exist.

We can both be right and just have different playstyles, but I have never needed the item.

and is a very valid reason to switch to wormwood, make as many and switch back. Don't think it belongs to the long list of "less useful" items that are outclassed by many other items considering their availability, resource use and functionality.

The methods I provided don't need switching and can be done by everyone in a short amount of time. The resources needed are virtually non-existent past an initial set-up cost and continue to function requiring  nothing. Both beefs and hutch have infinite free regeneration and kiting exists. Wormwood can also just provide food via green thumb.

Honey Poultice. 30 hp healing is good, but getting the ingredients to craft it can be annoying. Reeds are not easy to stockpile, unless you set them to more/lots or have a reed trap. And even so you face the risk of being spanked by tentacles constantly. You can kill them all, but I would rather spend the time making a Bunnymen/Spider farm. It gives me a constant supply of glands to make Healing Salves which are much easier to craft imo. Rocks are pretty much everywhere and you just need to grab a bunch of lightbulbs and light them up.

In late game I can see Honey Poultice able to mass produce, but by that time it's likely you have defeated Bee Queen which lets you have Jellybeans which outclass every other healing method so why bother with it.

Also darts, they require feathers which are annoying to gather. (I like Electric Darts though since 5 of them are enough to kill a Big Tentacle, and you always get 5-6 feathers by releasing a poisoned Canary on surface which makes them easy to produce)

14 hours ago, Hornete said:

It's kind of silly to look at it like that, Sure the spear "only" does 6.8 more damage than the axe, but you shouldn't look at the exact damage values of a weapon, you should generally look at how many hits it takes to take down certain health values. For a 100 health mob it'll take the spear 3 hits to kill instead of 4 hits with an axe for example, Yes it's only one less hit, but when you're fighting spiders(a 100 health mob) and a lot of them at once, that one less hit really helps a lot. You can apply this to generally any other mob too, see how many more hits it saves compared to other weapons. But hey, just my two cents.

Pretty much why Battle Spear is considered bad on every character except Wigfrid. Same 3 hits to kill a spider, but at much higher cost. Wigfrid compensate this with her +25% damage.

4 hours ago, Keller Max said:

Pretty much why Battle Spear is considered bad on every character except Wigfrid. Same 3 hits to kill a spider, but at much higher cost. Wigfrid compensate this with her +25% damage.

What about the huge durability boost battle spear has?

Between the durability and considering gold is very renewable and easy to amass mid/late game I disagree. I'd rather a battle spear anyday on any character than a normal one regardless of the gold cost.

7 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Honey Poultice

I cannot see myself ever using my full chest of honey police for any reason.. =(

I get more jellybeans than I use and healing from food sources is super easy and effective. 

I wish I never made them and had all those reeds instead for blowdarts or other more useful items.

Top 5 reasons the fireproof falsetto is the worst item in the game (number 2 will surprise you!).

5. It’s a character exclusive craft. Most items that are niche are universal, while falsetto can only be made by Wigfrid.

4. 33% fire damage reduction is not only outclassed by alternatives anyone can craft and/or spawn with, but is also extremely ineffective. The best application is during the dragonfly fight as both it’s larve/enrage form can deal fire damage, which might save you ~10-20 HP, but if you have that little HP to where that matters you are probably dead anyway. 

3. It’s one of the only 2-3 items where they are basically forced to be used in insanely niche situations. Most items that are niche have a wide variety of applications if you want to try them out (Take the morning star or the hibearnation vest, for instance), and are outclassed but still fine in situations where they are not. Falsetto not only requires you to be in combat (bonus points for being much more difficult to proc if you are not fighting a boss) in order to reliably pop off the ability, but there’s few mobs that use fire in combat, in combo with the fact you already have ~1-2 seconds of immunity to take damage in fire in the first place. 

2. The recipe requires a spittlefish, which are one of the more difficult fish to find/catch and are one of the only fish to actively harm the player’s well being on the boat (as it can put out fire pits). It being close to seaweeds (as it’s the only place they can spawn at) which can rapidly deal incredible amounts of damage if you run the boat into them and/or summer smoldering burning them doesn’t help either.

1. it’s just bad.

0/10 wouldn’t try again.

2 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

best application is during the dragonfly fight as both it’s larve/enrage form can deal fire damage,

what about klaus? i mean it can alsol do more directly do an fire attack actualy more so then dragonfly but yes still no reasons for that song to exist

6 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

Top 5 reasons the fireproof falsetto is the worst item in the game (number 2 will surprise you!).

FF is beyond garbage. It's so frustrating Klei haven't fixed/removed/replaced it yet considering how many updates ago the rework was now.. 

Rude interlude and startling soliloquy are also garbage. The two sanity songs are situational and sanity can be managed and manipulated in many other easier and more efficient ways. 

I swear someone important at Klei hates Wig =( the first and only rework so far that changed/added nothing of any real value whatsoever.

Another item come to my mind: Cookie Cutter Cap.

It's annoying to farm the Cookie Cutter Shells to make one. You have to kill 16 CCs to make one Cap. And its' stats aren't better than a Football Helmet. 35% rain protection isn't different from 20% much, and 70% damage reduction is just terrible.

Not to mention you can easily farm Pig Skins with a decent sized pig farm. I can't see any reason to use CCC over Football Helmet.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:48 AM, goblinball said:

I personally think the ocuvigil is pretty useless. Seriously, what’s the point in crafting it?

If you put one at the base on a public server and then, for some strange reason, you're staring at the base on the map as someone griefs it, you can see it happen and will know what character did it. Not particularly useful since you have to happen to be looking at the base on the map as it happens and unless the griefer is the only person playing as that character it'll only narrow it down, but it's a use.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:49 AM, Spino43 said:

Also darts, they require feathers which are annoying to gather.

Wickerbottom can get a ton of darts. You can also make contraptions to automate feather harvesting, although not as quickly as Wickerbottom. 

18 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Another item come to my mind: Cookie Cutter Cap.

One of the best looking hats in the game. That's a status symbol. If you wear that, everyone knows to take you very seriously as you mean business and look the part too. It strikes fear into enemies, and admiration into colleagues. Women want you. Men want to be you. Everyone respects someone wearing a cookie cutter cap.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, goblinball said:

I personally think the ocuvigil is pretty useless. Seriously, what’s the point in crafting it?

Put it on a boat and it'll reveal your naval discoveries to everyone on the surface as you sail. You'll also know where the boat is and its current status.

It's also good for keeping track of Beequeen's status or seeing which hole toadstool is at any given moment.

Placing one near a lazy deserter also gives you an idea who's near the deserter at any moment so you can ask them specifically for a teleport rather than going through ordeal of "Anybody at base..." "Touch the deserter please..."

Archived