Which crafted item/structure is the less useful?

On 7/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, pikamuse said:

Umbrella. After you craft the eyebrella you don't need any other item for wetness protection. This extends to rain hat, rain coat, and pretty parasol.

i disagree, for two reasons:

1. not everyone can get the eyebrella, especially the first one. umbrella + football helmet is your best bet for spring in multiplayer 

2. wx doesnt really benefit from the eyebrella in spring. other then the wetness penalty being barely a penalty, football helm + umbrella allows for lightning strikes and overcharge while the eyebrella doesn't. eyebrella is better in summer for me but since we're talking about wetness protection, i usually just default to umbrella + helm anyway

is the eyebrella optimal for other characters? yes, but i wouldnt go as far to say it makes the umbrella useless

i dont see many people run around with the other three though, so i cant comment

On 7/4/2021 at 10:55 PM, Grim the said:

I can't believe you guys forgot this thing:
Thermalmeasure.png.65f5f4750c78ced6baba1d1a271d3878.png
Even Maxwell knows it's useless, lol
image.png.554834e70776b006f2d13690c9e49066.png

I find it very useful to track season and how many time i have left before the next season...

On 7/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, goblinball said:

I personally think the ocuvigil is pretty useless. Seriously, what’s the point in crafting it?

Finding toads cap and klaus stash without need of walking all the way to check where them spawned

On 7/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

Put it on a boat and it'll reveal your naval discoveries to everyone on the surface as you sail. You'll also know where the boat is and its current status.

It's also good for keeping track of Beequeen's status or seeing which hole toadstool is at any given moment.

Placing one near a lazy deserter also gives you an idea who's near the deserter at any moment so you can ask them specifically for a teleport rather than going through ordeal of "Anybody at base..." "Touch the deserter please..."

This is what I like about this game. Even items that seem like they're useless can be useful if you put some thought into what they can be used for. The game really allows you to be creative.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, pikamuse said:

Umbrella. After you craft the eyebrella you don't need any other item for wetness protection. This extends to rain hat, rain coat, and pretty parasol.

You only get one eyebrella per year, maybe two if you fight Klaus and are lucky. That doesn't make the umbrella and rain hat useless, just outclassed. Unless you're playing singleplayer then everyone won't be able to get an eyebrella.

Also, the rain coat is just as good as the eyebrella and I'll very frequently give someone else the eyebrella and use a rain coat. Which is better depends on what you're doing. The eyebrella allows you to wear magi, while the rain coat allows you to wear tam, mining hat, and helmets (which are cheaper than body armor). The rain coat also has some cold resistance while the eyebrella doesn't, which is very helpful the first spring nights.

Seawreath, hands down. Isn't even useful in an early game rush to the lunar island. It might as well not even exist. If I was desperate for some sanity reduction, I'd just eat the raw kelp and get a more noticeable impact.

At least things like the pretty parasol can see use in spring starts and whirly fan in summer starts. Seawreath is just terrible no matter what direction you look at it.

Structures are a bit harder. Even if some of them are kinda useless, like the thermal measurer, at least they look nice and add to the atmosphere of a base. Still, if I were going for practicality, I would have to say that the thermal measurer becomes useless after a few runs, since you begin to realize that there's no variation in season lengths each year. (And if there was it wouldn't be too hard to just pull out a thermal) It's just kinda hard to rank structures as bad because at minimum they at least have aesthetic purposes.

Saddlehorn, not only is it a niche item for a niche gameplay mechanic, but it isn't even that useful. First off, using anything but a normal saddle to tame beefalo is a bad idea. 2nd, normal saddles are fairly cheap and have 5 uses each, at most I'll break 1 saddle during the domestication of a beefalo, and when the beefalo is fully tamed, they'll never buck off their saddle, the lowest their obedience can even go is 45%, which is only enough to prevent you from mounting them, so at that point, you can put on a specialty saddle and keep it that way. Now this item would have some use if you couldnt directly swap out saddles, but you can, and leaving a tamed beefalo without a saddle doesn't really have any purpose.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, GenomeSquirrel said:

Rain hat is probably the most useless gear for how expensive it is, rain is so overtuned that anything less than 100% is still really obnoxious.

Ya I think wetness could be tuned a little. I basically stopped making any rain gear besides eyebrella because it all feels useless. Rain gear really should be a tad more effective.

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

thermal measure tells you how many days are left for the next season... ofc is useless if you check it when already is summer or winter...

I just count the days since the amount doesn't change throughout the year, but I'm willing to learn something new if you don't mind teaching me.

How do you correlate the state of the thermal measurer with remaining days and can you do it with pictures?

29 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Well, went through the each major crafting tab in the game except for fishing so these would be my personal picks for the "least useful" in each one.

2045476270_Leastusefulcraftables.thumb.png.f6b34ed1a686a21943fc18ff49e4078e.png

Thermal measurer does have a use, that being giving you an idea of the season in a cave base. Sure you could just go to the surface, but say you're in a ruins base, or someplace far from cave stairs, the measurer can be mildly helpful.

The night light I personally really like. If you decide to just ignore sanity, you'll get plenty of nightmare fuel which you can then give to the night light, and it also has the perk of not affecting your temperature. You also only need 3 fuel to get a full burn, and the sanity drain is only like -3/min, which is hardly a downside. Sure star caller staves exist, but 1. night light is way cooler and 2. staves affect your temperature. Sure they might not be the most useful but I still like em

40 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I just count the days since the amount doesn't change throughout the year, but I'm willing to learn something new if you don't mind teaching me.

How do you correlate the state of the thermal measurer with remaining days and can you do it with pictures?

i wish i have screenshots and i didnt find anything in google but i will try to explain it

isnt accurate at all but i hope it shows how thermal measurer works

thermal.thumb.png.8d3316946258b42640c3500ea0f75170.png

when winter will start but isnt at 0º it means that you have arround 4-3 (if im not wrong, many weeks withoutplaying...) days before it starts, same with summer when the mercury is at top but not filling it so it works to know that you need to finish your autumn/spring stuff before the next season starts

also it tells you if the season is about to end because if you are in summer but you see that the mercury isnt filling the glass means that summer is about to end in few days and you wont have wildfires. In winter the same, if you see that the glass isnt totally empty means that you would need to pick up your eyebrella if you wanna go out of your base

i find using it way confortable and without the need of making calcs with the number of days or using mods (maybe because certain mobs people think that this is useless...)

Archived