Which crafted item/structure is the less useful?

Which crafted item/structure do you consider not very useful? Not completely useless, more like there are better alternatives for their purpose, because they are inefficient, expensive or situational. Not counting decorative structures like Potted Fern/Succulent, Chess Pieces, End Table; Turfs don't count either nor Critters nor seasonal event items/structures.

I consider that Bath Bombs have become obsolete now that there are better ways to aquire Moon Glass and to obtain Dragonfuits.

45 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Items: Breezy Vest and Bush Hat

Structures: Composting Bin (because combos exist)

I may've forgotten smth, because I don't play dst for now

Bush hat is very useful if you want other mobs to deal with hound and worm waves

Rain hat is probably the most useless gear for how expensive it is, rain is so overtuned that anything less than 100% is still really obnoxious.

I’m giving fish scale my vote for most useless structure, mostly out of spite for causing fish to be unstackable. I know you can kill them to stack them, but swamp is the last place I want to stand still.

4 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

but swamp is the last place I want to stand still.

...Don't you stand for a lot of seconds when fishing? Surely one extra second for murdering fish isn't that much to add to the 10s of seconds you spend fishing at a pond.

1 minute ago, Grim the said:

I can't believe you guys forgot this thing:
Thermalmeasure.png.65f5f4750c78ced6baba1d1a271d3878.png

well sometimes i wanna see the temperature to see if i wanna wear a coat outside

or to see if i wanna stick a fish in my pocket (but for real why does this thing exist)

2 minutes ago, Grim the said:

I can't believe you guys forgot this thing:
Thermalmeasure.png.65f5f4750c78ced6baba1d1a271d3878.png
Even Maxwell knows it's useless, lol
image.png.554834e70776b006f2d13690c9e49066.png

I wanted to immediatley when i saw the thread, along with the rainometer,  but op said not to mention completely useless items

1 minute ago, sudoku said:

but op said not to mention completely useless items

You could say it's useful since you can use it to tell if you need a thermal stone, but it's better to just take one when winter starts

Not completely useless but there are far better alternatives:

1908337726_download(14).jpeg.44777cbb86ab342e67cc35ea5ed7ce2d.jpeg

An ornery beefalo pretty much replaces a bramble husk.

You can pick cactus and tank even late game hound waves, plus they have regen.

Only unique use I can think of is clearing bees after cheesing Crab king/toadstool.

132636578_download(15).jpeg.04765a5bf8f627fca1640b23155f9adf.jpeg

You need a semi-useless item to make this semi-useless item semi-useful. -60 hp for a one time aoe attack during a houndwave at minimum, oh and has a delay so you may need to stand still for a bit because if you run past it like a normal toothtrap it will miss. 

Any follower easily replaces any late game use they may have. 

Mushroom Planter: one of the worse food source in the game, hella expensive and situational.

Grass Suit: worse armor in the game, you can easily prototype a log armor instead. 

Spear: why build up a spear when an axe does basically the same damage? You need it for some buildings / tools, but otherwise is better build other weapons and save 1 inventory slot.

Straw/Fur Roll: time consuming and awful health/sanity regen for their cost. If you must sleep, it's better a regular tend, that require common materials, better regen and way more uses.

14 minutes ago, NotRatty said:

Spear: why build up a spear when an axe does basically the same damage? You need it for some buildings / tools, but otherwise is better build other weapons and save 1 inventory slot.

It's kind of silly to look at it like that, Sure the spear "only" does 6.8 more damage than the axe, but you shouldn't look at the exact damage values of a weapon, you should generally look at how many hits it takes to take down certain health values. For a 100 health mob it'll take the spear 3 hits to kill instead of 4 hits with an axe for example, Yes it's only one less hit, but when you're fighting spiders(a 100 health mob) and a lot of them at once, that one less hit really helps a lot. You can apply this to generally any other mob too, see how many more hits it saves compared to other weapons. But hey, just my two cents.

1 hour ago, NotRatty said:

Mushroom Planter: one of the worse food source in the game, hella expensive and situational.

This item was heavily indirectly nerfed by reap what you sow and seems generally forgotten by klei. 

All that I ask for is that mushrooms can grow in winter as they don't spoil in the overworld naturally. For those who would rather use living logs for darkswords the rigamajig, stone bushes, cacti, etc are better sources for veggies/filler. 

They could be as good as bee hives with a present Wormwood.

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Not completely useless, more like there are better alternatives for their purpose, because they are inefficient, expensive

Thulecite walls fit this description perfectly if you're looking from purely a functionality standpoint. Walls are best used to redirect things so their health is irrelevant, meaning thulecite walls are just using a bunch of one of the most rare and valuable resources to get what is basically the same thing but orange.

They can be used for decoration, but so can every item in the game.

36 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It's kind of silly to look at it like that, Sure the spear "only" does 6.8 more damage than the axe, but you shouldn't look at the exact damage values of a weapon, you should generally look at how many hits it takes to take down certain health values. For a 100 health mob it'll take the spear 3 hits to kill instead of 4 hits with an axe for example, Yes it's only one less hit, but when you're fighting spiders(a 100 health mob) and a lot of them at once, that one less hit really helps a lot. You can apply this to generally any other mob too, see how many more hits it saves compared to other weapons. But hey, just my two cents.

I agree with you, but i find the spear the least impactful weapon on the roster and his niche is very small.

The spear needs only 3 hits instead of 4 to kill a spider, but an Ham Bat need only 2 hits and has no durability: if you're farming spiders, the spear is not game changing; if you're dealing with few random spiders/enemies, an axe is more than enought, expecially vs spiders since you can stunlock them. 

You need 6 axe hits to kill a hound, 5 spear hits, 3 ham bat/tentacle spike hits. It's quite underwelming in comparison. 

I'd like to have a tentacle spike (thanks, merms!) on my inventory as weapon instead of a spear in early/mid-game.
In early game you can use a spear but is not that useful.

My vote goes to Seed Pack-It. Doesnt work as a container and there are better options if you want to have a bigger inventory for seeds while harvesting (like a normal backpack). Might as well not exist (even though I would prefer having it buffed).

1 hour ago, SkyistheGround said:

does anyone actually use bee mines

and some people might argue with me but garlands are pretty useless. it sucks so much because it has a lot of good skins

Disagree on both.

I rely on Bee Mines for Crab King. You could say killer bees also work, but I prefer planting them myself and ramming a boat against him.

As for garlands, they help during early game. While exploring the map you will find plenty of flowers that you can pick. It wont counter night time sanity loss, but they greatly help on keeping sanity up. Top hats are its upgrade, but they require prototyping and silk (which has better uses than a hat in early game, and you wont have a lot of at the time).

13 minutes ago, Maybe a dog said:

As for garlands, they help during early game. While exploring the map you will find plenty of flowers that you can pick. It wont counter night time sanity loss, but they greatly help on keeping sanity up. Top hats are its upgrade, but they require prototyping and silk (which has better uses than a hat in early game, and you wont have a lot of at the time).

I make garland because it looks silly and it's funny to see people who think they're a lot better than they are get mad because some dude is wandering around with some epic flowers on his head, but it really sucks. Just picking those 12 flowers already will grant 60 sanity. Even if you're going through every wormhole you see by the time you've lost ~230 sanity you should either be ready to fight shadows or have some better way to combat sanity. The 1.33 isn't realistically going to do anything to help.

3 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Rain hat is probably the most useless gear for how expensive it is, rain is so overtuned that anything less than 100% is still really obnoxious.

In solo servers it could be, but on public servers with a lot of other people it works as a temporary replacement until you get your eyebrella, and trust my word when I say that most people that didn't get the eyeball yet, do use it. 
It may take a long time until everyone gets an eyebrella in such place: the regular umbrella removes your walking cane capability and the rain coat removes your backpack slot.
Even though the rain hat doesn't stop rain entirely, it's still strong enough so not even heavy rain gets to bother you, plus it has lightning insulation.

2 hours ago, NotRatty said:

Straw/Fur Roll: time consuming and awful health/sanity regen for their cost. If you must sleep, it's better a regular tend, that require common materials, better regen and way more uses.

The straw roll is useless for its intended purpose but it has a hidden usefulness: it burns much stronger than the sum of it's crafting ingredients. So if you have some grass, and need to quickly fuel a firepit, the straw roll is amazingly cheap and convenient. I always try to prototype early the straw rolls for cheap firepit fuel.
The fur roll "could" work for a wormwood solo gameplay, but it's so expensive and hard to craft that ultimately it's better to just craft wraps, or rush getting bat-bats. I agree on the fur rolls.

1 hour ago, Maybe a dog said:

My vote goes to Seed Pack-It. Doesn't work as a container and there are better options if you want to have a bigger inventory for seeds while harvesting (like a normal backpack). Might as well not exist (even though I would prefer having it buffed).

Yes 100 times. I really wish it'd slow spoilage, since it takes seeds only anyway. 

My vote goes for the thermal measurer, I mean, I've never seen anyone give it some use other than decoration, on any server.

Archived