Overhauling of Cooking Mechanics

Refining the cooking and ingredient systems  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want cooking mechanics to be more like seen in The Gorge?

• Yes, this would be interesting to have
    • No, we have a good enough cooking system already
  2. 2. Do you think new or rebalanced crops and ingredients like wheat and dough or milk and butter would benefit the game?

• Yes, but only for some new recipes
    • Yes and to rebalance some existing recipes
    • No, we have enough basic ingredients already

27 minutes ago, Duck986 said:
  Hide contents

lol, why this topic is full of angry "meatballs and pierogies are not op"-users? It's just a suggestion and/or personal opinion, c'mon.

Why do you think anyone is angry? Everyone here seems calm to me. He shared his opinion and other people are sharing theirs.

Cooking is fine the way it is, It's the recipes that need changing.

So many recipes are useless compared to few ones that just about every player uses. The amount of times I've put mostly random ingredients in a croc pot only for it to become meatballs or goop is way to high,image.thumb.png.e9932a54eab59b2459f52cadf2f438a4.png

Seriously why do some of these equal meatballs?

I don't think that cooking as a basic mechanic should be replaced. We already have enough non-obvious mechanics for beginners, if a simple cooking requires the equipment of an entire kitchen, then everyone will definitely die of hunger. On the other hand, this new mechanic can be something extra for special, additional and high-level recipes. Something like a variety at the late level of the game, and not a over-complication at the initial one. Although I definitely like the idea if more advanced cooking stations will be able to cook more dishes at a time, even if with extra effort and mechanics. Right now the main option for public worlds is 6 crockpots or more, and constant waiting, when someone is always hungry, or someone has to sit in the kitchen all the time and cook for the others, without doing anything else in such a diverse game. In this case, the new mechanics, designed specifically for mass feeding of a large server, would make the cooking process more interesting for someone who would take on the role of a cook, and would give obvious benefits to the entire server, making this process both faster and more interesting. Maybe such a wholesale cooking will also require slightly fewer ingredients than would be spent on each dish separately(but still require several portions of ingredients at a time). And if someone wants to cook one dish just for themselves, a regular crockpot will still be an option.

Also, the idea that Mummy and Billy will be out there somewhere as npcs seems really cute to me. Maybe they will have their own little quest, like Pearl? It can be related to cooking too. For very beginners, this can also be a half-tutorial, giving hints on more useful recipes. And the final quest can be, for example, to bring a cookbook, being a player with fully assembled recipes. In this case, experienced players can "skip" the training and almost immediately get access to all trading options. And they will also be able to give their own christmas decorations.

1 hour ago, Erineyes7 said:

The amount of times I've put mostly random ingredients in a croc pot only for it to become meatballs or goop is way to high,

That's the point of meatballs, wet goop, and fistful of jam. They're "failure recipes" if you don't make anything better.

1 hour ago, Erineyes7 said:

Seriously why do some of these equal meatballs?

Because they all have a meat item and nothing inedible, but fail to create any better dish.

2 hours ago, Duck986 said:
  Hide contents

lol, why this topic is full of angry "meatballs and pierogies are not op"-users? It's just a suggestion and/or personal opinion, c'mon.

because suggestions for things to be nerfed should be backed up with actual arguments

Honestly I just want the cooking for more interactive things to do. 
Gorge cooking was very interactive and hands on, which I prefer over putting items in and a clicking a button.
I wouldn't care if foods were changed stat wise I just want more interactive cooking because its fun!

5 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

I do ask how players maintain their potato supply in summer, where potatoes are out of season.

Usually giant plants carry over to the next season if you don't hammer them immediately. That's how you still end up with sizeable Potato/Asparagii/Durian stocks all Summer. 

Then again why would one need potato in summer when summer itself offers great crops that easily replace potatoes like Tomatoes, Corn, Dragonfruit, Watermelon, Onions and Peppers.

personally i don't see the point of making cooking more complicated, other then adding new recipes for new effects

the thing about the gorge, cooking was the main focus. you didn't have to worry about hunger sanity, health, there were no mobs trying to kill you, bosses you had to fight, hound waves you needed to listen for... what i'm trying to say is you only had to worry about cooking
of course, you needed wood for fire, crops and livestock for ingredients, and minor things relating to those, but the gorge focused on cooking

making the cooking system more complicated takes away from the many, many other parts of the game you have to worry about.

i get that in long running worlds, there's a lot less to worry about and in general, a lot less to do, but most people don't make it that far
i wouldn't be opposed to a mid-late game way of making food more interactive and in depth (perhaps several types of cooking stations with more recipes (gorge) that give much better food, or even just one machine with more slots and more recipes), but overhauling the entire thing feels more like a detriment

Maybe if it didn't mess with the existing system. New methods of cooking could be saved for late game, for example a confectionary-cart could be used to make candy items (cookies, taffy, jellybeans, mushcake, banana and melon pops etc.). Candy items cooked in the cart would produce multiple of the dishes rather than the standard one, much how jellybeans make 6 per 1 royal jelly. I suppose make regular crockpot jellybeans only give out 1 and the cart would give out the normal amount of 6.

One idea dump to add to the huge pile:

Maybe making crockpots require some fuel to start would actually be fine. Another add on to that idea would be to allow pots to be placed over firepits to double the use, and to make an option to have crackpots powered by a torch, willow's lighter, or a new craftable burner.

They could also add a Winona craftable stove in place of the crockpot that needs wood fuel, or maybe a burner that can be placed under pots, or even make them able to be connected to lava pools, if you're brave enough to live near the D.Fly the Winona idea maybe can be powered by gemerators, or they could add a solar grill (which exist irl) that can cook full recipes fuel free in daylight, but will be slower

Also, I like the idea someone mentioned about making Warly's portable crockpot only have 3 slots, but still being able to produce full recipes with potentially less filler needed, but having some recipes not possible without the regular pots.

2 hours ago, Justad00d said:

Maybe making crockpots require some fuel to start would actually be fine.

Crock pots do require fuel to start, they're crafted with charcoal. The characters are just very efficient with it :wink:

i think the system is fine as is i would just like some more balance to crappy recipes and uses for useless ingredients like pomegranate durian and garlic not that these things have no use in a crock pot just that its very limited or is a waste of resources

19 hours ago, Grim the said:

You wrote an entire essay on this new system of yours, but not once did I see any reason why you think we need a cooking overhaul, nor do the majority of those who voted think it’s necessary.

Why do we need a new system, @ZombieDupe? You gave absolutely zero justification for an overhaul. Are the current crockpots lacking?

As a side note, why did you specifically mention perogi and meatballs as being op? This isn’t 2018, there’s better options.

Good point. It doesn't necessarily need to. I simply shared my thoughts on the approach that would probably be appropriate if the cooking mechanics were to be changed and to give some context to people. I can name one annoyance I do have with the current cooking system and that's...

15 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Personally I'd love to get new cooking mechanics if those mechanics mean that you could cook in bulk. Cooking sometimes takes forever and constant clicking same thing over and over again gets tiresome... 

There is a client mod that repeats the recipe, and it works fine. The rework would need to make sure that dishes cooked, and especially ones with rare ingredients were desirable. You could have some more basic ones that you would typically make to restore stats and be fed for a day or so, while some more specific ones with rarer ingredients would also have the benefit of applying some useful effect to your character for a decent amount of time. The rework would make cooking dishes a specialty and cooking in bulk, like being able to stack ingredients in the pot to a certain amount to cook multiple meals together would be incredibly rewarding.

Realistic isn't the word or the reason (on its own not a good reason to make anything a certain way regardless), even though it describes this sort of approach well. I have played ONI for a while now and it has taught me a lot of things I didn't quite understand, even if there is plenty more that is left shallow and unrealistic and I can recognise that. This game could do something like that too with changed cooking mechanics, but with food preparation. You never know, maybe DST could end up being the only cookbook you will ever need if done right.

14 hours ago, -Variant said:

Honestly I just want the cooking for more interactive things to do. 
Gorge cooking was very interactive and hands on, which I prefer over putting items in and a clicking a button.
I wouldn't care if foods were changed stat wise I just want more interactive cooking because its fun!

This! Not broken doesn't necessarily mean engaging.

14 hours ago, Lokena said:

I don't think that cooking as a basic mechanic should be replaced. We already have enough non-obvious mechanics for beginners, if a simple cooking requires the equipment of an entire kitchen, then everyone will definitely die of hunger. On the other hand, this new mechanic can be something extra for special, additional and high-level recipes. Something like a variety at the late level of the game, and not a over-complication at the initial one. Although I definitely like the idea if more advanced cooking stations will be able to cook more dishes at a time, even if with extra effort and mechanics. Right now the main option for public worlds is 6 crockpots or more, and constant waiting, when someone is always hungry, or someone has to sit in the kitchen all the time and cook for the others, without doing anything else in such a diverse game. In this case, the new mechanics, designed specifically for mass feeding of a large server, would make the cooking process more interesting for someone who would take on the role of a cook, and would give obvious benefits to the entire server, making this process both faster and more interesting. Maybe such a wholesale cooking will also require slightly fewer ingredients than would be spent on each dish separately(but still require several portions of ingredients at a time). And if someone wants to cook one dish just for themselves, a regular crockpot will still be an option.

Also, the idea that Mummy and Billy will be out there somewhere as npcs seems really cute to me. Maybe they will have their own little quest, like Pearl? It can be related to cooking too. For very beginners, this can also be a half-tutorial, giving hints on more useful recipes. And the final quest can be, for example, to bring a cookbook, being a player with fully assembled recipes. In this case, experienced players can "skip" the training and almost immediately get access to all trading options. And they will also be able to give their own christmas decorations.

If you can cook things in bulk at a hanging cookpot over a campfire then you probably could fill that exact criteria. It would be like the new and improved farming system all over again, you can do away with making basic cooking recipes or you can put in the extra effort to get even better meals.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, Terra B Welch said:

I mean what if you run out of potatoes to eat during summer? Not everyone has bundling wrap.

Joke's on YOU, Mooagain and i are only slightly above average players and we don't normally have the luxuries of bundling wrap. We spent at least the first like 8 days of summer on the caves subsisting only on potaoes and stone fruit, no bundling wrap fanciness required. We even could get even MORE potatoes on the following autumn

I would rather see some overhaul to recipes instead of complete rework. Give pomegranate some use, maybe more fruit recipes, maybe lil buff to fruit medley (could cool player for a longer than watermelon...), I like cooking as it's now, simple and effective.

38 minutes ago, Notecja said:

I would rather see some overhaul to recipes instead of complete rework. Give pomegranate some use, maybe more fruit recipes, maybe lil buff to fruit medley (could cool player for a longer than watermelon...), I like cooking as it's now, simple and effective.

and please make more veggie recipes that are ya know actually useful 

I am all for more complex cooking recipes as long as it comes with an intuitive way to discover them without blind luck/looking at the wiki. This could be in the form of examination quotes, hints in the in-game cookbook, or recipe predictions before you click "cook" and use up your ingredients.

Edit: Also, why did you split the yes vote on question 2?

Just now, Keller Max said:

Don't you love your ratatouille?

idk the last time i made ratatoulle ive given up on the crockpot and have now just focused on living off of farming except for dpies and fancy spiraled tubers

9 minutes ago, Dextops said:

idk the last time i made ratatoulle ive given up on the crockpot and have now just focused on living off of farming except for dpies and fancy spiraled tubers

Pumpkins are my favorite when I play Wurt. Easier to feed the king/yourself.

I would be okay with Klei adding a more complex way to make food IF they kept the Crockpot the way it was.

That way, if people want a nice, easy way to make food then the Crockpot is right there and ready to go. Adding a more complex way to make food could make it so it's more suitable to feeding teams of people, versus being able to help yourself with the Crockpot.

Archived