Overhauling of Cooking Mechanics

Refining the cooking and ingredient systems  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want cooking mechanics to be more like seen in The Gorge?

• Yes, this would be interesting to have
    • No, we have a good enough cooking system already
  2. 2. Do you think new or rebalanced crops and ingredients like wheat and dough or milk and butter would benefit the game?

• Yes, but only for some new recipes
    • Yes and to rebalance some existing recipes
    • No, we have enough basic ingredients already

The reception for the farming update has been largely positive, considering it has been requested ever since the gorge event presented an alternative system. But what would you think of an overhauled cooking system?

I think it would be fair to rebalance some recipes with a cooking update as well as adding new things to the game, being able to grow wheat, grind flour and maybe even make dough. Milk and Butter could become more accessible but being balanced to reflect their increased ease of access in mass. Pierogi could be a recipe that would require dough in place of an egg, which means their preparing would require additional work before you can cook more of them. Of course the main question then becomes what will happen to the Crock Pot and Warly's Portable Crock Pot (especially the first one since there are skins for it already)? Well here is one way that could be done.

* The skins could be tweaked for the Crock Pot to fit onto the new Cook Pot and Casserole (the Tureen would work better for this item for example). You could then place a Drying Rack (maybe renamed to just Hanging Rack as it would now serve multiple functions, for drying meat and hanging a cooking pot for cooking) on a Fire Pit for cooking. The Cook Pot, Casserole and Grill would all have 4 ingredient slots to make things a bit more streamlined. The food doesn't become ready on its own and you would need to make sure you take the food out when it is done to not become burnt.

* Warly's portable Crock Pot could stay in the game, but would have some special traits. It could cook any dish from the other cooking stations, given the ingredients, but only anything that could fit into 3 ingredient slots with possibly faster cooking speed. This could save some ingredients for some recipes while making others impossible to cook on the portable pot. Just like all the other cooking stations, you would need to take extra care to take out a dish from the pot when it is done cooking so it doesn't come out burnt. With this update we could have all special dishes be possible to cook by all players, but Warly would still stay as the better chef as he could season foods and cook faster as well as on the go.

The primary focus of cooked dishes I think should be both gaining extra sanity and getting special perks from the dishes instead of just whatever stat bonuses seem balanced for the recipe. You want a recipe to be desirable, but not too expensive. This would allow for an overeating mechanic to be introduced as well, which would make healing items regularly more desirable (those I think need a buff too, like crafting more than one at a time for the resource cost). In turn it does make Wormwood not getting health from foods a bit more trivial as every character would now be needing them more, so to compensate Wormwood would always only heal overtime with +1hp until the full healing of the item is done (unless maybe by Wortox's souls?), making him more of a support character and much less focused on combat. Just a thought, some might disagree with the idea of an overeating mechanic entirely.

I would also like to mention the idea of making the cooking over campfire and cooking inside a pot more streamlined in some fashion so that doing one doesn't create a mistake scenario. I know this may sound strange, but whenever I have told a new player to "cook" something to take good use of a food item like cactus, they instantly thought to put it inside a pot with other things instead of cooking over campfire. One way to do this would be to make sure that the ingredients cooked over a campfire and eaten as is are never as good as combining them to make a dish. This would require serious food balancing changes, but improve food item progression significantly.

Oh and please exclude ice from cooking Meatball recipe, that would be beneficial both as a nerf and to make sure people don't use all the ice leaving you with nothing to make ice flingomatics. Cactus, blue and green mushrooms and butterfly wings have always seemed like game-breaking food items to me. They can work well as ingredients for a dish, but on their own they trivialize a lot of the game way too much.

Cooking is fine as is, though stuff like wheat and flour or maybe even something similar to spot spice would be nice as a new ingredient to play around with in the current cooking system.

But I prefer the current crockpot system, it doesn't need any changes.

well the cookin that is alredy there is just as good but new items whit its new recipes could be cool and i mean if we are at it more differend spices for warly like 1 spice could give extra speed for the day like how cofee in shipwreck was souposed to be a warly only thing or a another spice that is similar to the salt spice but for sanity that would be great

As a fan of Feast and Famine mod, I would be very glad to see thing like wheat, pasta and, let's say, dried vegetables in dst.

Oh and please exclude ice from cooking Meatball recipe, that would be beneficial both as a nerf and to make sure people don't use all the ice leaving you with nothing to make ice flingomatics.

I don't play on public servers, but I agree that this should be a thing

I'd like Klei to divide cooking between multiple stations like in Gorge. Just make it so that you're not required to have all 3 stations present for cooking to be worth it, every station would have some dishes that take care of the main 3 stats. It would be interesting if for example Wurt players would have more recipes in the cookpot and Wigfrid would have more in the oven. And yes, crock pot should be turned into cookpot with its respective skins.

Maybe don't make it so that stuff burns if you don't check on it since most of the community would implode on itself from whining.

Gorge's cooking was quite fun in terms of the event but that's mostly because there was nothing else but cooking to do. In dst you have to multitask or at least plan some stuff. If you had to sacrifice resources required to make *clears throat* 3 cooking stations, 3 fire pits, 3 big dishes and fuel for the fire then cooking would be too much of a resource sink early to mid game. Especially since most people would probably want at least 2 of the same cooking station.

However I do think that cooking stations should require fuel. Not in the same way as a campfire but just that the cooking won't start untill you place at least 1 twig. No fire pit needed, the cooking window would have 4 places for ingredients and 1 place for fuel.

Also Klei should add some 'failed' recipes (waste of ingredients but you can still get some hunger out of them). For example soggy meat if you tried to use 1 morsel and 3 ice for meatballs.

And for crying out loud add Mumsy and Billy as npcs somewhere on the map. Seriously Klei, you've never made a proper connection between gateway arc and RoT arc. They could trade vegetables for unique cooking recipes from the Gorge. They could also sell seeds for wheat, spice bushes and sugar trees. They'd have a little Gorge-esque house with some lovely decorations and farm plots.

keeping the current crockpot but only giving it the smaller 37 hunger/ 20 hp recipes and transferring the bigger dishes like Dragonpie/pierogi/bacon&eggs etc to the advanced Gorge cooking stations might be one way of doing it. 

Gorge cooking was a lot of fun and id love to see it implemented somehow. 

The farming system was overhauled because the original one was so bad no one was using it, except for a select few people who were using it just to spite everyone else. The crock pot system, on the other hand, has been a resounding success. Everyone and their mother has 6 or more of these things lying around, cause they are just that good. Sure, there's a few dishes that are a touch too underwhelming, but that's nothing that cannot be fixed with some numerical tweaks.

Overall, this post is no different than any of the other "crock pot rework" suggestions that pop up around here once per week. It regurgitates tired, old arguments that the writer has not once thought to question (ha, ha, meatballs OP, amirite, guys?) and comes to the mystifying conclusion that this perfectly serviceable mechanic should be replaced by its needlessly complicated third cousin that requires babysitting your kitchen so your food doesn't go up in flames.

Current cooking system achieves what's intended to do, hence I say is fine as-is. Old farming had low efficiency, especially in early-to-mid game, on top of being quite costly to setup, thus a change for the better was asked for long time. In fact nowadays non-Wig players can solely thrive on Potato cultures alone - be it as normal food, healing and/or sanity intake, ignoring all other recipes if one so desires, without penalty. I for one see a potential "cooking overhaul" as just something done for the sake of being done and as cheap novelty without an actual purpose beyond "hey, look, something made more complicated because what else can one do when achieving the proverbial the horn of plenty".

I want something that will award you for your investment, but at the same time won't penalize you for doing bad. Like with new farms. You can learn combos and tend to your crops for a huge unnecessary yields, or you can simply plant potato and tend once for good amount that will keep you fed for a season or two.

Current crock pot system is fine, Gorge cooking would be too complex to be very enjoyable in a normal DST setting imo
Meatballs are not as OP as they're made out to be
Gorge's ingredients and dishes would be very welcome though, I'd love to see that stuff in the game

You wrote an entire essay on this new system of yours, but not once did I see any reason why you think we need a cooking overhaul, nor do the majority of those who voted think it’s necessary.

Why do we need a new system, @ZombieDupe? You gave absolutely zero justification for an overhaul. Are the current crockpots lacking?

As a side note, why did you specifically mention perogi and meatballs as being op? This isn’t 2018, there’s better options.

1 minute ago, Terra B Welch said:

I do ask how players maintain their potato supply in summer, where potatoes are out of season.

Stock up on potato seeds for the rest of the year, abandon everything to suffer in the caves all summer, then start a new potato crop in autumn

Just now, Mooagain said:

Stock up on potato seeds for the rest of the year, abandon everything to suffer in the caves all summer, then start a new potato crop in autumn

I mean what if you run out of potatoes to eat during summer? Not everyone has bundling wrap.

this is like the 4901285th thread I've seen asking for either the gorge cooking system or the forge combat system

The cooking system is perfectly fine as is, it has a ton of depth without being too complex for newer players to get confused by it, making it even more complex wouldn't be beneficial for anyone and the way you describe it would make batch cooking an absolute nightmare with really nothing meaningful in return

the current system already heavily rewards you for finding the most efficient recipes available, farming was replaced because it had no depth and produced extremely limited rewards

also the amount of people who think meatballs are op literally just prove my point about how much depth the crock pot has

they couldve fixed farming by reducing advanced farms build cost and introducing ways to obtain more specific seeds either at harvest or increasing the amount given by the bird. but instead they introduced the rigamajig, tilling, watering, tending, 3 distinct types of fertilizer categories, stress system, giant crops, seasonal system, weeds, fruitfly lord etc etc etc 

theres no reason why this same kind of intricate approach couldnt be applied to other areas of the game, doesnt mean its bound to happen though. 

This thread is just a suggestion, from someone who loves this game just as much as you do, on how to make the game more fun in their eyes. 

The way some people have responded so far u'd think OP insulted them personally or something lol :roll:

58 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

I do ask how players maintain their potato supply in summer, where potatoes are out of season.

While one can use, as you yourself pointed, Bundling Wraps to stockpile, for people without access to them Wraps (aka bulk player-base really) they also can grow Potatoes in Summer, albeit slower and without giant variants most-times, yet still very much an on-the-table option (if players take care of all other stress-inducing aspects). However if one wants a similar crop, but Summer time specific, one can go for Toma Roots as substitute. I usually go with 4 preferred crops over the in-game year: Potatoes, Tomatoes, Pumpkins (very stomach-filling food), and Dragon Fruits (mostly for quick healing). All of them (aside Dragon Pies of course) not requiring Crock Pot cooking if one doesn't want to use said mechanic, and only goes for raw and/or fire-roasted versions.

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

While one can use, as you yourself pointed, Bundling Wraps to stockpile, for people without access to them Wraps (aka bulk player-base really) they also can grow Potatoes in Summer, albeit slower and without giant variants most-times, yet still very much an on-the-table option (if players take care of all other stress-inducing aspects). However if one wants a similar crop, but Summer time specific, one can go for Toma Roots as substitute. I usually go with 4 preferred crops over the in-game year: Potatoes, Tomatoes, Pumpkins (very stomach-filling food), and Dragon Fruits (mostly for quick healing). All of them (aside Dragon Pies of course) not requiring Crock Pot cooking if one doesn't want to use said mechanic, and only goes for raw and/or fire-roasted versions.

In my culinary archipelago run I farm potatos and tomas alot actually, so I get you there. I know Warly can benefit a good bit from both onion and toma root.

But I get you anywho.

The only thing that needs to happen to cooking is buffing a few poor performing recipes. Meatballs and pierogi are not overpowered (especially with RWYS farming), and meatballs are actually one of the worst food sources for most characters. The reason meatballs is so popular is because it's an "easy" recipe (1 meat + 3 anything), and it's possible to survive off of it. People don't have to put in much thought to what they're doing, just throw random stuff in, get meatballs out, Don't Starve. They don't notice how much time and effort they're putting in to making the meatballs, don't notice how fast the meatballs spoil, don't notice how the meatballs exclusively give hunger, don't notice anything bad about the meatballs. Just notice that they aren't dying.

If someone ran around the map with a hammer to get pig houses or a bug net to get bees instead of a pickaxe to get ice they'd have a food source that lasts forever instead of an ephemeral food source that lasts a couple of weeks.

20 minutes ago, Duck986 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

lol, why this topic is full of angry "meatballs and pierogies are not op"-users? It's just a suggestion and/or personal opinion, c'mon.

'Tis a reminder of He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Crock pots are essentially multicooking appliances:
"A multicooker (also written "multi cooker") is a kitchen appliance for cooking. A typical multicooker is able to boil, simmer, bake, fry, deep fry, grill roast, stew, steam and brown food." - from Wikipedia

Archived