What if DST Characters had a B-Side (or "Tainted" version)?

Another curiosity thread, not a suggestion, but having been watching people I follow play the new Isaac DLC, it made me wonder.

To my understanding, a B-Side is basically a variation of the character, their powers are in general the same, but are played out in a different fashion, usually to make the character more of a challenge. This is also applies to levels, where a B-side can be seen as a harder version of the level.

.If DST's characters had a B-Side or "Tainted" version, how do you think they'd play out? What would be their general perks and how would their powers be tweaked for an alternate experience? Discuss.

This one might not fit as a B-side since the difference is too drastic, but Winifred (Winnie) could be considered as a variation of Wigfrid. Or maybe the other way around, because she existed before the character we have now.

I mean, in tboi tainted chartacters are also like at their worst moments of life (isaac is beat up, maggy has half of her head shaved and bleeds constantly, jacobs brother is dead etc.) so i don't really think the same idea could be done in DS, plus DS characters powers are either very generic or very complexeĀ that coming up with any powers is downright impossible

Just now, Terra B Welch said:

Eh, I don't play that mod, but I really don't care if they adopt something like that.

i dont like uncompromising mode that much because it makes the game so hard that in my opinion it stops being fun, but i once played it with a group of friends and had a lot of fun with some of the things in it, like the roofed forest and that huge black widow boss. There are some interesting things in it that would be nice seeing in the game

and zarklord (and hornet) helped with improving the mod so they may have some chance

1 minute ago, N4zif said:

Looks like someone has been playing isaac.

or celeste

1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

maybe their versions from uncompromising mode mod?

Eh. Uncomp doesn't generally change characters that much. The only ones who could be considered "B-side" (atleast as I understand it) Are Willow, who got a minor re-work to be more fire based. And Wolfgang, who got a re-work to be less combat-oriented and get more strength-based utility.

Ā 

Frankly, I'd rather that second one just be his re-work in general. But Willow's re-work I could see as a "B-side" upgrade.

The wording of this topic is confusing consideringĀ shadow powerĀ actually taints people and it just turns out the main antagonist is exactly that.

not to mention the triumphant skin sets for all the characters

21 minutes ago, Well-met said:

The wording of this topic is confusing consideringĀ shadow powerĀ actually taints people and it just turns out the main antagonist is exactly that.

not to mention the triumphant skin sets for all the characters

it means a more challenging version of the character, if i understood correctly

Bruh I literally JUST bought Isaac.

It'd be pretty fun though. Seeing characterĀ mechanics either get twisted around, or taken to the extreme is something that worked out really well in Isaac, I would like seeing those

Ā Ā 

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

What is the in-story origin of Pelontrix?

Ā 

It's not real.

I believe the "rumor" was started by Kevin or something when he said something like: "Strange, the pelontrix shouldn't be in the game anymore" when everyone thought they saw a furry rock which was actually a werepig transforming. (This is from what i remember anyway)

Ā 

Ā 

@JoeWĀ mind getting kevin or someone who can get this citation?Ā 

This creature is so obscure that the wiki doesn't have a entry. I only know it's name due to the toy.

31 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Would tainted characters have the W flipped to a M?

Would Wes be a Mes?

Ah-

it all makes sense now...

Tainted Wormwood, instead of being sad when plants die, he gets happy

Mormwood - More wood

I've been thinking about this a lot recently! Half seriously, half meme-y. My ideas so far:
Tainted Willow
- Visually looks like Willow made of charcoal and permanently on fire.
- Willow has no health, but will die instantly if Bernie is killed.
- Bernie works as a firepit, and will die if his fire goes out. The fuel works as health and vice-versa, if Bernie is attacked then he will lose a burst of fuel, and if Bernie is fueled then he will regain health.
- Bernie is constantly out, so you'll need to manipulate him like Isaac's Heart to help him dodge attacks.
Tainted Wes
- Visually looks like Wes with mosquito traits. His blood sack resembles a balloon.
- Has Wigfrid-styled vampirism and higher max health than normal, but any damage taken while above 75 damage will cause his health to instantly drain to 75 and him to birth little baby mosquitoes.
- Baby mosquitoes will attack anything nearby (aside from the usual exceptions like Chester), and will pop like balloons when something attacks them back. Damage from popping is low and will not apply to other baby mosquitoes, but will apply to Wes if he's too close.
Tainted Wagstaff
- Visually looks like Wagstaff springlocked inside WX-78. Their quotes and voice swap randomly between WX-78 and Wagstaff's.
- Has a charge meter which must be refilled by lightning. All of their mechanics work differently if they are at high or low charge:
- At low charge, Wagstaff's nearsightedness will kick in, but things in the blurry part of the screen will visually look like the entity that Wagstaff is confusing them for. At high charge, their vision is clear, and you're able to zoom out much farther than normal without clouds getting in the way.
- At low charge, items eaten will take away a small amount of health regardless of how much they would normally give. At high charge, all food is more nutritious.
- At high charge, they get a small speed boost and will spark every couple of seconds, giving enough light to ward off Charlie but still causing a sanity drain from the darkness in-between.
Tainted Wortox
- Visually looks like a Homestuck troll.
- Every mob now drops a unique soul based on their Zodiac sign. Each soul has a different effect, some positive and some negative, when used to soul hop. The challenge comes from keeping up with them when like 90% of them look the same.
- Regular Wortox perks and downsides still apply.

These wouldn't necessarily be fun to play but they're fun to think about!

Archived