What if DST Characters had a B-Side (or "Tainted" version)?

12 hours ago, Dextops said:

wilson b side:bilson its wilson but with red hair equally as useless 

Wilson's beard is great in winter. It's only useless the other three seasons. Which is most of the time...

13 hours ago, azazel3221 said:

I mean, in tboi tainted chartacters are also like at their worst moments of life (isaac is beat up, maggy has half of her head shaved and bleeds constantly, jacobs brother is dead etc.) so i don't really think the same idea could be done in DS, plus DS characters powers are either very generic or very complexe that coming up with any powers is downright impossible

I wasn't thinking exactly like tboi, moreso just a b-side or alternate version of the character.

Wigfrid has a randomly desired mob she wants to hunt every few days, and will gain tons of sanity upon the kill - but if left unfulfilled, she will lose appetite and her Max hunger will decrease to a point until her hunt is fulfilled.

In combat, this hunting mechanic carries over and against groups of enemies she will fixate on the strongest enemies in her vicinity, significantly increasing regenerated health & sanity and gaining a damage boost when attacking those targets, but getting the reverse when not focusing on weaker enemies rather than her target whom she wants to strike down.

13 hours ago, azazel3221 said:

I mean, in tboi tainted chartacters are also like at their worst moments of life (isaac is beat up, maggy has half of her head shaved and bleeds constantly, jacobs brother is dead etc.) so i don't really think the same idea could be done in DS, plus DS characters powers are either very generic or very complexe that coming up with any powers is downright impossible

They have their triumphant skins though?

Those act as if the character is inverted or corrupted in some form by the nightmare fuel.

Willow- Black flames that don't produce warmth

Wormwood- Wants the world to rot

Wigfrid- Instead of gaining power over time, debilitates her enemies through crippling fear. 

Wickerbottom- Rather than share her knowledge she steals the knoledge of others and hoards it.

Wendy- sees her sister more as a tool/ work better separately as we saw in her first rework.

Etc.

Essentially invert the characters personality. Maxwell would also revert to William carter, when he was a failing magician.

6 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Wendy- sees her sister more as a tool/ work better separately as we saw in her first rework.

I won't lie, I honestly thought of a tainted wendy that would work kinda like how tainted jacob does in TBOI:R. Where you'd have a dark abigail constantly persuing you but you can temporarilly restrict her movement tho she charges at you dealing damage to everything in her path after she breaks free of her restriction, in the end I figured it was a dumb idea.

This is a fun little topic. These are my general ideas for each character. Since we already have shadow/triumphant skins, we can have these ones be lunacy/lunar skins

Lunar Wilson: Can craft items as long as they've been prototyped. Exclusive items from things like ancient pseudoscience stations have a blood and extra material cost.

Lunar Willow: All fires created by Lunar Willow are lunar fires, which generate no heat/chill and spawns gestalts

Lunar Wolfgang: Mightiness is based on sanity rather then hunger. His sanity would decrease constantly, but he would have a normal stomach.

Lunar Wendy: Standard Wendy perks, but every few days at dusk, Abigail spawns, and chases after her relentlessly until day breaks. Abigail doesn't aggro onto anything else besides Wendy, and drops "Mourning Contempt" if killed, which can be used by Lunar Wendy for craftables relating to pacifying her sister temporarily or using her as normal. (Yes, literally tainted jacob)

Lunar WX-78: Is solar-powered. He has to get an adequate amount of energy from either natural or man-made light. At dusk or in dark areas, he loses energy at a rate, and if he runs out, his stats start decreasing down to something like 30/30/30. Uses lunar shards instead of gears for upgrades.

Lunar Wickerbottom: Starts with a lunar encyclopedia that basically acts as Wheeler's navigadget. She will also fall asleep at night, and will only wake up after taking damage or suffering from starvation. (The hunger rate for sleeping would be removed) After waking up, she will have groggy walk for the rest of the night. 

Lunar Woodie: Basically pre-rework woodie with the log meter, but werebeaver doesn't suck your sanity dry.

Lunar Wes: Just give him 1 health point

Lunar Maxwell: Can summon a large number of gestalt workers that generate light and "go into" their designated work objects (chopper goes into a tree and chops, miner goes into a boulder, shoveler literally goes in and out, fighter goes into a mob and does DoT). However, he's constantly hunted by Charlie and she will strike him the moment he is vulnerable to her.

Lunar Wigfrid: Is rabid and starts losing sanity if she hasn't fought and killed a non-nightmare creature within a time span. She also only eats raw or dried meats. In compensation, she has increased movement speed and attack damage while in combat, and shares this bonus with allies when her inspiration meter is filled up.

Lunar Webber: His craftable spider dens are shattered spider dens with a super long web radius. Any mob or object that touches the web turns into its lunar form if it has one. However, he cannot befriend normal spiders since he is shattered himself.

Lunar Warly: His crockpot is now his permanent backpack with four slots. Putting ingredients in it will cause him to start cooking the food, though he has to move around to properly cook the food. After going x steps depending on the recipe's cook time, the dish is added to his inventory.

Lunar Wormwood: Permanently enlightened. Others around him will also be enlightened. When he blooms fully, spawns special moon moths that turn into moon fauna after some time. Starts at half sanity.

Lunar Winona: Has permanent night vision, but the sanity drain for being in the dark is dramatically increased.

Lunar Wortox: Has the ability to capture the souls of nearby dead mobs, and then release them to fight for him. Basically pokemon souls.

Lunar Wurt: Wurt is tired of making kings, so she decides to establish herself as the queen of merms! Every time she slays a unique boss mob, her legend grows, and the stats of herself and befriended merms increase. However, her legendary status will decrease if she attacks another merm or eats non-vegetarian food.

Lunar Walter: Woby is in a permanent big state and will fight like a beefalo with a toggle similar to Abigail. The catch is that Woby and Walter both share the same health pool, but Woby takes reduced damage and Walter isn't afraid of getting hurt anymore.

The idea I'm gettng from this topic is that Tainted/B-Side/yournamehere alternative Warly would be a distrusful, extremely paranoid outdoorsman who won't eat anything made by crockpot, while also gaining stats up to 70% the more he repeats a snack.

He'd have a fantastic early game but fall out of favour later on where he'd refuse to eat any food with special effects. Much like Wigfrid in Shipwrecked.

5 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Lunar Wormwood: Permanently enlightened. Others around him will also be enlightened. When he blooms fully, spawns special moon moths that turn into moon fauna after some time. Starts at half sanity.

I question how this works with the ancient fuelweaver

13 hours ago, Atkvin said:

In combat, this hunting mechanic carries over and against groups of enemies she will fixate on the strongest enemies in her vicinity, significantly increasing regenerated health & sanity and gaining a damage boost when attacking those targets, but getting the reverse when not focusing on weaker enemies rather than her target whom she wants to strike down.

Changed part of my earlier alt Wigfrid idea to be.. a little more sensible and fun lol.

Now I guess I'll try my hand at an alt Wendy since I feel like playing with ghost mechanics? This is fun!

Abigail can no longer be summoned. Instead, Wendy can now craft and place one Touch Stone at a time, and use any Touch Stones in a seance to channel her own spirit and find her sister in the afterlife... or do dope stuff on her own gameplay-wise.

While in seance, her real body is asleep, and so vulnerable to damage other than darkness. She can see her HP and can project back to her body anytime to defend herself or wake using the Touch Stone. Wendy's sanity while starting the seance becomes her ghostly HP, and dying as the ghost means she wakes up insane.

Ghost Wendy can do everything ghosts can do, dealing aoe and traversing gaps easily. In addition, by haunting non-boss creatures(number of haunts needed similar to freezing with an Ice Staff), she can possess and inherit the mob's characteristics and attacks up until the mob takes damage (does not hurt Ghost Wendy herself) There is no limit to how many times she can keep possessing.

Milson:

• Grows a sick do (large afro-ish hair that gives insulation in summer and can be shaved clean)
  • is generally easygoing and a bit of a hippy

Mallow:

• Wants to feel safe (sanity around structures, loses it when a structure breaks)
  • Builds walls (drag right click to raise temporary, destructible walls of dirt)
  • Protected by her fuzzy unicorn (transforms at low sanity to shield nearby players, even eats AoE damage)
  • calmer, kinder and reasuring

Mausgang

• Skittish (up to +60% speed scaling with missing hp. Average stats btw)
  • Is a panic eater (hunger drains 25% slower but can be tripled, scaling with missing hp)
  • quite the wimp, still speaks in an accent

Mandy

• Between life and death (low hp, turns into a ghost upon death, which can fly, attack in an aoe, slowly chop and mine and see in the dark. After enough time passes or her ghost hp runs out, she revives with less max hp that has to be cured with a mourning glory craft. If she's lost too much, her ghost form is like any other survivor's and needs a heart)
  • Toys around with life (cheap telltale heart craft, can't gain/lose hp from food)
  • Dabbles in ectoherbology (can craft wearable flowers from mourning glories, each buffing her next ghost form in a way, after which they wilt. Effects like more combat prowess, keep inventory, more speed, brightness, better harvesting... Limited to one at a time)
  • lost in her thoughts, ponderous, existential

MX-13

• Lunar powered (supercharges on a full moon, giving him night vision and keeping him cool and fast for 5 days)
  • Modular (craftable modules using moon island + moonstorm materials, limited to 3 at a time. Things such as an inbuilt axe, claws, lamp, camouflage, armour, lunacy filter, animal cage, music box, backpack... Some have durability, some don't. Installing takes hp)

Mackerbottom

• Left restless (enlightened during the night)
  • Sees the magic in the monsters (dead creatures sometimes drop a spoilable consumable that has a unique effect for each creature. Aoe attacks (dragonfly), status effects (ice hound), item production (birds), stat buffs (beefalo), stat heals (fruit fly), tree chopping (no-eyed-deer), summons (moose goose), things with effects of items like amulets (horror hound for life-giving)... use your creativity for what these look like)
  • Has an alien stomach (stale/spoiled foods are more effective as they ferment)
  • irritable, confident and curious

Muddy

• Suffers from the curse of the Weredillo (combat form that can hide in its shell to absorb a ton of damage, not flinch, and move)
  • and the Weregoat (grazes grass, berries, sticks and items on the ground. Drops them all when the transformation ends. Also chops/hammers/fights poorly and moves significantly faster)
  • and the Weretoad (can swim and right click to jump gaps, not too fast but hardy)
  • texan. That's it. Yeah goats aren't that texan but I wanted the forms to somewhat rhyme, so maybe he can be a generic American hillbilly instead.

Moe

• Can't talk (but it's because he's a clown)
  • Practices juggling (various ranged ammo, like balls, pins, pies, moon glass knives. Perhaps you have to catch them like boomerangs, except the pies)
  • Makes for great slapstick (aoe sanity heal when damaged)
  • stats don't suck

William

• Is a nobody (targeted much less, ignored by pig king and such)
  • Wants to be a magician (treats magic crafting stations as 1 tier higher, and can craft tier 1 items anywhere. Also has a constant sanity drain, but instead gains sanity from dark magic items)
  • Has trouble staying alive (new challenge character)
  • looks poor and helpless. Meek but still ambitious

Magrith

• Gains strength from combat (fury meter that charges like inspiration. Her damage and armour scale with it)
  • Calls upon the gods (insignia-like items that have instantaneous effects at the cost of fury. Like fear+speed boost, aoe burn, aoe sleep, thunder+rain start, sanity+health heal...)
  • Only eats meat
  • can still craft helms and spears
  • like Wigfrid but more berserker-y

Moober

• Is cattle (beefalo are passive to him)
  • Can command beefalo (easier time taming them, can hire them to fight)
  • Grows a thick coat (huge winter insulation and shaveable for wool)
  • Is good at husbandry (better watering can/fertilizer efficiency, can milk Volt Goats/Beefalo)

Marley

• Has a portable crockpot
  • Wants to taste it all (maximum stats permanently rise with every new crockpot dish eaten)
  • Only eats gourmet food (dishes are remembered when eaten and provide 33% less stats until 20 other non-remembered dishes are eaten and the oldest one is forgotten)

Mushworm

• Has a green thumb
  • and a rotten influence (items on his person spoil 100% quicker. Attacks apply damage vulnerability for some time)
  • Lives off of fertiliser (compost gives sanity, formula hp, manure hunger. Starts with 300 max hunger)
  • Grows in the rain (becomes faster and gains hunger for the duration of the rain and some time after it ends. Produces mushrooms that fall off when it ends)

I don't have any good ideas for the rest

On 6/1/2021 at 8:09 AM, Wardin25 said:

maybe their versions from uncompromising mode mod?

thats not how tainted characters work

49 minutes ago, TheJazMaster said:

Moober

• Is cattle (beefalo are passive to him)
  • Can command beefalo (easier time taming them, can hire them to fight)
  • Grows a thick coat (huge winter insulation and shaveable for wool)
  • Is good at husbandry (better watering can/fertilizer efficiency, can milk Volt Goats/Beefalo)

he should be a dweller not a cow

tainted Woodie:

-doesn't have a beard(and it's upsides/downsides). 

-Lucy now has 27 damage and slightly faster atack speed. 

-Woodie can't transform by eating monster meat anymore and can't craft idols. 

-hunger and were-meter are now seperate. while in were-form, hunger drops 50% faster. 

Moose form:

-activated after you hit the same enemy 10 times

-starts at 20 points on were-meter, restores them by hitting stuff

-now has 85% of armor, atack speed slightly faster than normal, slow hp regeneration, hits now deal 62.5 damage 

-"dash" replaced with "taunt", which taunts all enemies around you

Goose form:

-activates when after getting hit your health drops below 20%. 

-has 35% speed buff, which increases to 50% for 10 seconds after getting hit. 

-walking on water makes you wet

Beaver form:

-activates after cutting down 7-11 trees in a row. 

-gets 0.2 health points and 0.3-1 were-meter points each time he bites a tree. 

-can't mine rocks anymore. 

On 6/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, Sunset Skye said:

I've been thinking about this a lot recently! Half seriously, half meme-y. My ideas so far:
Tainted Willow
- Visually looks like Willow made of charcoal and permanently on fire.

Okay, so I really, really liked your ideas and just wanted to doodle em' quick!

image.png.ad43570e4451e10ae20aa7397be2b7e8.png

image.png.7f0887fc8e4fb1a4d8a8ab0b8add0ca2.png

image.png.96b8ab3c45a7d5a22fb88192a5d17ff5.png

This is really fun to think about. Here's a few concepts and bits and pieces i've accumulated.

Tainted willow

Concept: Bernie wasn't strong enough, and in his absence Willow has fallen back on her pyromania as a coping mechanism and a ward against Bernie's return. Scared of shadows, but corrupted by them, kinda like skid from that corruption mod for Friday Night Funkin.

Clothes are burnt and tinged with shadows

Safe in the light, anxious in the dark: Heals when standing in or near fire, but deals more damage/runs faster when in complete darkness.

A bit carried away: Any attacks has a percent chance of setting the target on fire. This can burn their drops, panic them, burn structures nearby, but can also heal her, give light against Charlie and the next point.

Your own personal demon...: In the dark, Bernie appears. He appears near whatever fire pit the player is using at night and whispers. These whispers rapidly drain sanity and Bernie can only be seen by willow, and likewise can only be warded off by Willow's light. When Willow is low on sanity, Bernie gets aggressive and, of course, physical. He attacks more in the night and is capable of walking into the light of fire, albeit while taking a lot of damage and still moderately skittish. Bernie takes lots of damage from fire, but aggressively attacks the player. "Killing" Bernie leaves behind nightmare fuel and {bernie specific drop}, which can be used in items that help Willow control Bernie, her pyromania, and possibly help others if she decides to do that...(yes I know it's a very tainted Esau thing to do but every "character turns on their ally" concept like this is gonna sound like tainted Esau, alright?) 

Tainted Wendy

Concept: Abby is dead, but it wasn't an accident.

Revels in death: Gains sanity when she kills things.  Bonus points if she uses the murder action in her inventory.

Dead is better: I dont have any ideas, but this is a quote from pet semetary so I'm leaving it here

Tainted Wickerbottom

Concept: Knowledge is a lusty vice, and one would do anything for their fix.

You know when she gets forced to sleep by a mandrake or pvp pan flute? That but shadows/lunar and her eyes are incredibly strained now

Sleep is for the weak: loses health/more hunger/more sanity at night. Possibly can distract herself with books or work. 

Scholar's work is never done: Has Wurts reading ability, which can modify stats a la warly spices, but only to herself.

A learner by nature: She can craft a "research binder/notebook", made out of pencils and papyrus. When she uses the item she sits down and documents everything around her, gaining research points. Research points are a new crafting ingredient for her books that replace the science tiers for each book. She can only gain specific research points from specific sources, with each source providing different points, I.E. farm plants will give agricultural points, lunar mutants will give lunar points, etc. These allow her to craft multiple new books that all have diverse functions to set her apart from normal wickerbottom, like applied horticulture now causes her to read like wurt, nullify her insomnia penalties, and cause plants around her to grow at ridiculous speeds, as well as lower plant stress.

Tainted Wormwood

Concept: His plants have gotten quite attached to him...too attached, one might say

He is overgrown as hell. Stems and leaves are sprouting out of everywhere.

Where it all began?: Starts on the Lunar Island.

Plants love him!: His mere presence causes plants to grow rapidly around him. These can be beneficial plants, like farm fruits or crops like grass...

A bit too much: Or special plant based enemies. These plant enemies are generally neutral to Wormwood but attack anyone nearby without relent, like spiders in a webber base with other characters nearby. These plant mobs will also aggro onto Wormwood if he does something that would make normal Wormwood lose sanity. These plants, good or bad, will only respond to Wormwood, I.E. can only harvest these special farm plants himself, others characters will make them disappear, comically or otherwise (I want a dragonfruit plant to burst into flames, okay?). Certain unique plants, good or bad, drop ingredients that do the expected "control your mechanic", such as spawning only non-mob plants, only mob-plants, taming plants to be around other players, etc.

Tainted Wurt

Concept: "Are you sure she's safe to be near?" "Ah sure, she won't bite...us." "Yeah, I know that's what you say, but can't you at least calm her or something...she's looking at me angrily."

Chipped, Clipped, Completely lacking in drip. These are the ingredients chosen to create the perfect feral Wurt design. 

I...I only know she'll be a berserker who can't eat most of the spoils of fights, kind of like the endless giants mod, where you have to fight bosses but can't eat the meat dropped.

Archived