Useless Items, What can be done?

Almost every item in DST has a purpose, either as materials for crafts or have some misc purpose such as Pearl's Pearl. However there still items with no real purpose.

The list only includes basic items (that are dropped by mobs or picked from its root), with only a few exceptions. Because while there bad crafted items it doesn't make them useless, Tilweed Salve is innefective but not useless, that is another topic.

1- Phlegm

It has not special craft, cannot be used for fuel, soil nutrient, be fed to birds; doesn't make Pigmen followers and even though it's edible it only fills as much as a single Rosted Berries.

2- Glommer's Wings

Because the Old Bell doesn't exist in DST, the wings can only be used as fuel and only fuel not better than logs.

3- Fire Nettle Fronds

It's a weed so it's supposed to be bad but unlike Forget-Me-Lots and Tillweed, it has no craft or recipe and although it can be used for prevent freezingm, it costs 20 health for it. Wormwood can have a benefit from this, but Tilweed Salve can be used by everyone and Soothing Tea by everyone but Wigfrid, so Fire Neetles just comes up as terrible.

4- Green, Red and Yellow Moonlens

All Moonlens have the same function alone but (unlike Blue, Purple and Orange) these ones don't have special crafts unlike the rest.

I was planning to post this in the suggestion forum but I don't really have ideas for these items so I thought to see what you think that can be done.

9 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

4- Green, Red and Yellow Moonlens

All Moonlens have the same function but Blue, Purple and Orange don't have special crafts unlike the rest.

As far as the moonlenses go, I've been wanting them to be given related structures for ages. 

355234711_AncientRefurbisher.png.d469fc24752e93ce1efda9727920076c.pngFor green moonlens, my suggestion is to make a late game structure on the long desired bin structure. I think it can be called Ancient Refurbisher, taking in any item and when loaded, returning some basic materials. I think this purpose would fit well to the Green gems' element of labor, construction, deconstruction and the theme of going green.

1567190184_YellowMoonlens.png.93984a3de1d0b37b4bfee87514fa9e3b.pngThe element of yellow gems is light and there is a nice mod in the workshop already, turning them to Lightbug towers to control lightbugs around a base. I think that's very creative and while it's debatable whether the caged lightbug would need feeding, a structure like that could be implemented for the yellow moonlens.

Bombegrenades.png.cbe951fae59f2f613465836fd5f7a99b.pngAlso, can we please get the bombegrenade suggestion realized for the Pomegranates. It'd give Pomegranates, otherwise useless fruits such an interesting and unique use. 

Ashura.jpg.8fccbf552bc863ae88bcc41fac168e2b.jpgSpeaking of Pomegranates, they could also use their own recipe in the form of Asura

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Also, can we please get the bombegrenade suggestion realized for the Pomegranates. It'd give Pomegranates, otherwise useless fruits such an interesting and unique use. 

Like coconades in SW? What they can be used for? Because coconades are usually being used for detonating obsidian boulders only.

5 hours ago, Just-guy said:

2- Glommer's Wings

Because the Old Bell doesn't exist in DST, the wings can only be used as fuel and only fuel not better than logs.

Ya know... I'd rather these remain useless. I feel less excuses for people to kill glommer the better. I don't like glommer getting hurt or killed. :(

In terms of giving items more uses, I would really love for more non-food based uses for specific farm veggies. But looking at the updates it does seem like Klei has this on their mind. We’ll see if some of Webber’s new crafts require farm crops. Or even incorporated somehow in the Summer Cawnival.

Maybe Glommer's wings could be crafted into some sort of portable light source that follows the player that has deployed it around (at sufficient speed and range) and can be picked back up when not needed. It would be usefull during boss fights but would deplete too quickly to be used every night while walking/doing chores.

12 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Like coconades in SW? What they can be used for? Because coconades are usually being used for detonating obsidian boulders only.

I though they could be used as ranged explosives, somewhat similar to the Heartfire Crystals from Forge, maybe also having the limited utility to detonate marble trees & stuff. In any case, a grenade/explosive weapon could be pretty interesting and useful.

17 hours ago, Just-guy said:

2- Glommer's Wings

391038938_Glmmer.thumb.png.62622757a0636647deadd40499aa1a25.pngRegarding Glommer's Wings, it reminded me of this neat idea of a Lunar parallel of Glommer called Glōmmer. I don't think they'll add many lunar structures now since Return of Them is over but if they do, they can add a Glōmmer statue to the Lunar island. Perhaps it might be a broken statue in the first place but would require you to fix in a similar fashion to Pearl's home, which may require glommer wings. I think it'd be very cute and could be a rather useful creature, supplying you with light bulbs and an insanity aura.

Additionally, one of the small gripes many people have in public servers is that the Glommer statue can be mined and it'll look sad but it cannot be repaired- There's often someone in the server that'll mine the statue to see what happens, for the heck of it or even Maxwell's diggers will automatically do it and i'll stay unrepairable. It's just an aesthetic gripe but I think it'd be cool if you could build a small glommer statue head on the Potter's Wheel using moon rocks and Glommer Wings. I'd be a unique structure, a small one without variations. You could both use these small glommer statues for decoration or carry it to a broken glommer statue to fix it just like fixing the shadow statues. The glommer sketches could be obtained from mining the glommer's statue and once it's mined, could be obtained from tumbleweeds. 

968417958_MinedStatue.png.a5285724295b2f3c6832613be3e61f15.png2025770517_GlommerStatueHead.png.d92df68e6bd7beb433b2901319fa93d3.png

I think it's okay for phelgm to stay "bad", I can't really imagine a use for it that'd work, since you barely get phelgm, you'll probably kill ewecus once for the brush and that's it.

Fire Nettle Fronds are amazing in my eyes, I use them way way into the late-game so the -20 health per fronds aren't too bad for me as I'll probably just heal it back up with honey over time(3 hp per honey), I especially love using fire nettle fronds with a beefalo hat, I get essentially 11 minutes of time each fire nettle frond I eat before I have to heat up again/eat another frond, so I really like using it in the late-game personally, though could be neat to see a craft/other use for fronds!

Phelgm

The phelgm could be a sticky trap similar to the oil traps in shipwrecked. When any hound pass through it they will slowed down by a lot or get stuck. 

One phelgm could make 5 sticky traps and when you're caught unprepared for a hound wave or just want face it in the wild you could place a trap and make the wave more bearable. Since you make multiple traps you could dupe it with green gems for hound protection on the go.

Glommer Wings

A chest slot item that lets you jump across small gaps. I don't think this would be too crazy as I already place boats to jump across rivers. Could be infinite use and only lets jump across a set small distance (also a small cool down if infinite use). Infinite use also means less likely to abuse glommer and taking up the chest slot item makes it less desirable early game as apposed to climate gear or backpack. 

Red moon lense

I like the yellow and green moonless crafts at the very top so ill just add a red lense craft.

Something that lets you see enemy HP but maybe not as a bar. Perhaps the structure could tether to the life force of the highest hp enemy and slowly crack or deminish in glow to keep the games esthetic. 

16 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Something that lets you see enemy HP but maybe not as a bar. Perhaps the structure could tether to the life force of the highest hp enemy and slowly crack or deminish in glow to keep the games esthetic.

Ehh, DST doesnt really need a way to show hp, I personally love not seeing health bars, as it makes really fun boss encounters, when you start to run low on resources and don't know the hp, so all you can do is push forward and keep attacking. That's just my preference though.

57 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Ehh, DST doesnt really need a way to show hp, I personally love not seeing health bars, as it makes really fun boss encounters, when you start to run low on resources and don't know the hp, so all you can do is push forward and keep attacking. That's just my preference though.

I understand what you mean, but for most bosses I already know I have enough resources because I have fought them so many times. When fights are an extremely long repetitions of the same 3-4 animations health indicators have another purpose and that is to provide the player a sense of progression and prevent someone from becoming discouraged and maintain momentum.

There are already indicators in the game of a bosses current hp to some extent. They have phases which can serve the same purpose if you know what you're looking for. Crab king even has cracks along it's body to tell you its curret hp status. You would just get a more easy tell of the progress between phases. 

Also, I don't think I have ever ran from a boss battle so either they die or I do. I'll turn to a spear if I have to so the lack of an hp indicator or the inclusion of one wouldn't effect my play style really. 

Tl;DR: They make long fights like misery toadstool feel less tedious and give a sense of progression. Especially with a normal damage character where you're constantly going, "Oh my god, just die already!" throughout the whole thing.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:49 AM, Szczuku said:

Maybe Glommer's wings could be crafted into some sort of portable light source that follows the player that has deployed it around (at sufficient speed and range) and can be picked back up when not needed. It would be usefull during boss fights but would deplete too quickly to be used every night while walking/doing chores.

I like the idea but Starcaller's Staff already has uses for light during boss fights.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:21 AM, HowlVoid said:

Glommer Wings

A chest slot item that lets you jump across small gaps. I don't think this would be too crazy as I already place boats to jump across rivers. Could be infinite use and only lets jump across a set small distance (also a small cool down if infinite use). Infinite use also means less likely to abuse glommer and taking up the chest slot item makes it less desirable early game as apposed to climate gear or backpack. 

I really like this, but it would probably need some late game item so it wouldn't be able to cheese things like the labyrinth.

Archived