[Poll] On the DST Community

You matter.  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you active in the Don't Starve Community?

2. 2. Do you feel welcome in the Don't Starve Community?

3. 3. If yes, why?

• Interacting with community members is a pleasant experience.
    • The community as a whole is welcoming and inclusive.
    • If there are problems in the community, they can be resolved with relatively peaceful discourse from parties involved.
    • Community members are willing to help other people regardless of one's race, gender, opinions or skill gaps.
    • My opinion in the community is valued.
    • If I make any mistakes the community can objectively point them out without resorting to insults.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "No."
    • I voted "Unsure."
  4. 4. If no, why?

• Interacting with the community is a very unpleasant experience.
    • The community as a whole is unwelcoming.
    • Problems in the community provoke intense arguments from parties involved.
    • Community members are intolerant of others due to different races, genders, opinions or skill gaps.
    • My opinion has no value in the community.
    • I get insulted for my mistakes or differing opinions.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "Yes".
    • I voted "Unsure".

[Disclaimer: I do not wish to offend any particular party with this poll; merely to gather responses which I am once again rather curious of. If in any case someone has any issue with this poll, please take it to me in DMs.]

Vote freely and of your own will and discuss in the comments!

i mean , to be frank edgy rick was like 90% of the bad of the dst community so with him quitting and doing Minecraft it practically turned this community into a pretty great one.

also the worst I've seen were like 2 people giving advice very aggressively

Generally I like the community, but in some of the bigger discord servers like the unofficial DS discord or Klei discord you've got some bad apples who ramble on about tier lists, which characters are overpowered, and having wonderful takes like "you won't need healing foods/item if you just don't get hit noob!!!!".

Other than that yeah this community is pretty cool :p, I like hanging out on smaller discord servers, joining random public servers and havin' fun with others and talking about the game.

7 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Honestly I believe 99% people here will say they are mostly active on forums.

If that poll were on different sites the answers could be more various (which is impossibru)

yeah i gotta admit i realized that when i pressed submit xD too late to turn back now

I always say this is one of the best communities for a game. There's some edge lords, griefers, and try hards, but it's generally good people just trying to get better at the game and have fun. I like that the lack of in game direction usually drives players towards the different online communities. It's like the players imitate the survivors banding together to overcome the constant. 

i think the worse part of the community is elitists who think anything other than the meta is bad and any character who has a different playstyle is badly designed or a bad character but thats only a loud minority and most of them left with edgy rick

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

Honestly I believe 99% people here will say they are mostly active on forums.

If that poll were on different sites the answers could be more various (which is impossibru)

In theory. Somehow less than 1/3 of the voters actually use the forums :wilson_laugh:. 

12 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

In theory. Somehow less than 1/3 of the voters actually use the forums :wilson_laugh:. 

I think most people voted for the forums, but because of the question allowing you to choose different options, most of those people probably chose another option too and that messes up the "real" percentage of the Klei Forums choice.

I mainly just dislike the modding community and specific people in the community.  When I join a server the experience is usually fine (except for the people who ban everyone that joins for no reason) but as soon as I take a look into the workshop it just so terrible.  Sometimes there are those mods and mod creators that are the golden stars in a steaming pile of manure.

25 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

I mainly just dislike the modding community and specific people in the community.  When I join a server the experience is usually fine (except for the people who ban everyone that joins for no reason) but as soon as I take a look into the workshop it just so terrible.  Sometimes there are those mods and mod creators that are the golden stars in a steaming pile of manure.

As poorly made and cringy as some mods are, I have a lot of respect for the people who have the effort, passion, and knowledge to make something for the community and publish it. Even if they suck in our eyes, I envy the happiness they can get from making anime girl 20,504.

I definitely make exceptions for those that plagiarise, exploit, ect. 

There are definitely good parts of this community, but I chose unsure purely because I think there is a vicious loop of opinions. People have opinions, and try and show them to others. The people they are shown to take that as an insult to how they play, and then shun the first persons opinions. I think everyone is guilty of this and it happens pretty much everywhere, but I've noticed it the most in DST community over other place's. There are exceptions of course, there are people that do this far less than others, and also people who are more harsh with it. I think if you talk about one style of playing it should be kept separate of other styles. I.e. cheesing bosses, switching characters, playing efficiently, playing casually, can all be kept separate and discussed without actually insulting how people play. I think people were talking about me earlier in this thread (Hornet and Dextops) If I'm taking what they said the wrong way then okay, but if I'm not I think maybe look harder at what I'm actually saying or how I'm actually proposing my idea's, vs what your perceiving my idea's are or how I'm trying to inflict them on people.

I chose unsure, because despite there being some really nice people, I tend to remember the bad ones more. Online you are exposed to much more people who can turn out to be rude so it goes without saying.

I also dislike many aspects of the community, like:

The goal to rush everything. All I hear is always rushing rushing rushing. Sounds like nobody wants to just chill with the game. (I know this is false, but every time I see another post about rushing something I feel annoyed. That's on me tho, rush your stuff everyone, nothing wrong with it)

People insisting the style changed for the worse- yes, sometimes the style is very different, but it doesn't mean that old one looks better and we're spiraling into DST morphing into an Anime.

People who posting passive aggressive stuff (I no doubt did so as well. Sorry :/ )

Unsolicited hate towards characters across many platforms- you wouldn't believe how much hate Maxwell gets on a daily basis. It's incredible. 

And just plain out rude people in-game. 

There are however plenty of people who are nice and friendly, offer good advice, create interesting topics, create content such as art, videos, mods,, base makers sharing screens, people who enjoy the game content just as much as I do and like to talk about it, and overall just a community that is not rude for the sake of it. 

It's not perfect, but it is so much better than it could have been. Game fanbases tend to be... Something else. 

The Klei forums are great. The game knowledge of the average person here is pretty good, and regardless of that things are pretty civil and discussion is sincere and genuine.

Reddit sucks and is terrible. Nobody knows anything but everyone acts like they're the smartest best player and anyone who disagrees even slightly is stupid. There's never any good discussions there, just an endless repeat of people who just got the game asking how to stop dying and commenters giving terrible advice without any elaboration (as they themselves do not know why they say what they say) who ignore any feedback on why what they're saying might not be the best advice.

I think one of the nicest things about this community, maybe the forums specifically, is how tight-knit it is while still being open. You'll see the same people a lot on the forums and its cool seeing them on other platforms like Discord or even finding them in servers. Any negative experiences or drama only come from a few bad apples in my experience, which might be lucky depending on others' experiences. Regardless, this community is definitely one of the better ones out there.

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

snip

i suggest you take this to dm's or not do so entirely, this treatment is precisely why they don't feel like their opinions are worth any salt in the community. if you can disagree, so be it; don't rub it into their faces every chance you get, please and thank-you.

54 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

i suggest you take this to dm's or not do so entirely, this treatment is precisely why they don't feel like their opinions are worth any salt in the community. if you can disagree, so be it; don't rub it into their faces every chance you get, please and thank-you.

Bro this just was a joke, I though you guys were gonna got it lol.

I'm the one of the persons wants and hope Wagstaff in game. Linknallie mostly opens topics about adding Wagstaff and gets "NO"s by ppl. Check most of his posts, you will see I support him.

#Teamwagstaff :love_heart:

27 minutes ago, Slagger said:

snip

thank you for clarifying, although i must note that it did seem very rude especially to people who a.) take things on a serious thread too seriously, b.) do not have context, or c.) both

20 hours ago, hot focaccia said:

i mean , to be frank edgy rick was like 90% of the bad of the dst community so with him quitting and doing Minecraft it practically turned this community into a pretty great one.

also the worst I've seen were like 2 people giving advice very aggressively

I like Edgy Rick. He’s a smart kid and knows how to generate drama. The essence of his advice is typically valuable and helpful, even when he got certain details wrong and had some stubborn ideas that only fit his niche playstile.

But every game needs an arrogant villain!

In SC2 it was players like Idra at the start for example who took up that role. It made for interesting dynamics and rivalry. Later came players like MC and Stephano and then Reynor and others who had/have these cocky and fun personalities. It’s pretty much typical for all games that have a harcdore element to it! Sports as well, thinking of MMA here.

Typically it is the fans that take this stuff too seriously who then parrot them in online discussions, which can be annoying.

I find all of that very entertaining. What actually annoys me are online personalities who act like smartasses and criticize the game or other players without having either the skills or deeper knowledge to back it up, but they just say what ppl want to hear so they sound right to them.

Here on the forums I had almost exclusively interesting and fun interactions. Also DST is a non competitive game so it doesn’t have the same drama potential as some other games (especially competitive team games can be bad in this regard).

20 hours ago, Dextops said:

i think the worse part of the community is elitists who think anything other than the meta is bad and any character who has a different playstyle is badly designed or a bad character but thats only a loud minority and most of them left with edgy rick

What's this? You don't lichen farm and use a Beefalo Hat? It's idiots like you that make this community disgusting.

I'm joking, of course.

Archived