[Poll] On the DST Community

You matter.  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you active in the Don't Starve Community?

2. 2. Do you feel welcome in the Don't Starve Community?

3. 3. If yes, why?

• Interacting with community members is a pleasant experience.
    • The community as a whole is welcoming and inclusive.
    • If there are problems in the community, they can be resolved with relatively peaceful discourse from parties involved.
    • Community members are willing to help other people regardless of one's race, gender, opinions or skill gaps.
    • My opinion in the community is valued.
    • If I make any mistakes the community can objectively point them out without resorting to insults.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "No."
    • I voted "Unsure."
  4. 4. If no, why?

• Interacting with the community is a very unpleasant experience.
    • The community as a whole is unwelcoming.
    • Problems in the community provoke intense arguments from parties involved.
    • Community members are intolerant of others due to different races, genders, opinions or skill gaps.
    • My opinion has no value in the community.
    • I get insulted for my mistakes or differing opinions.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "Yes".
    • I voted "Unsure".

If I'm going to be 100% honest, this is one of the worst communities that I have been in. I’m not sure about the reddit or the steam community, so I really can’t judge them much. But the forums are just so….toxic a lot of times.

Like, people in this community are way too eager to jump at someone else’s throat for the smallest of things. Case and point, the second post on this very thread talking about some youtuber who, at worst, is the most cookie cutter elitist/gatekeeper you can find in a community. He hasn’t been relevant in like, what 2 years now? The fact that people still mentions him just so they can sh** talk about him comes off as beating a dead horse, trying to rev up drama for literally no reason, and act like an ass for no other reason but just because. He’s no saint, but is it really worth breaking the rules that flat out goes “against name and shame”, while also keep reviving drama that has already passed? 

And there is the other “small” controversial topics that need to be locked/ hide because people can’t just.... be nice? Lord forbid you make a topic about Wendy’s age, or game balance, and especially about the pronouns of the characters in this game. I can’t stress how unbelievably stupid this controversy is. You have people getting mad at others for using the wrong pronoun for a png file for a video game, and feel the need to push this argument constantly by reminding people about an irrelevant fact that klei already made clear that it was irrelevant thanks to how inconsistent their writing is for some of these characters. Then you have other people full stop making topics about and throwing a fit that a character is nonbinary and/or trying to prove otherwise. And then there was that time where mods had to go lock and hide thread of someone promoting a lgbt flag skin for the RoT content. Why was that? Because, for some reason, some people thought that it was “pointless” or something, and felt the need to start an even more pointless argument about nothing. 

Then there is the divide in the community. Where you have people who want the game to be more like an uncompromising survival game, and people who want Klei to keep going the way they are. Both are equally annoying, because the former is filled with elitists that look down on newer fans and constantly complain about game mechanics that aren’t that much of an issue, and the latter that constantly acts like Klei is incapable of doing wrong and that every criticism about the game is some sort of toxicity. Never mind the fact that it’s 100% Klei’s fault for even making this divide in the first place by abandoning the first game and shifting the focus of the new content for dst to be more sandbox-y. And then after seeing that Tencent announcement and full stop seeing people unironically saying “yeah they might be responsible for genocide or somethin but-” just makes it harder for me to like Klei when the community is that unconditionally defensive of them. 

I could go on, but this is just me rant/venting at this point. I know that there are some good people in this community, but it’s so hard to appreciate them when the rest of the community is  just so... aggressive? Don’t know if this is going to fall on deaf ears but felt like i need to vent it out.

Edit: also, yeah, not really a aspect of a non-toxic community when mods have to rework the reaction system because people were being mean with it.

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, Superlucas1231 said:

If I'm going to be 100% honest, this is one of the worst communities that I have been in. I’m not sure about the reddit or the steam community, so I really can’t judge them much. But the forums are just so….toxic a lot of times.

Like, people in this community are way too eager to jump at someone else’s throat for the smallest of things. Case and point, the second post on this very thread talking about some youtuber who, at worst, is the most cookie cutter elitist/gatekeeper you can find in a community. He hasn’t been relevant in like, what 2 years now? The fact that people still mentions him just so they can sh** talk about him comes off as beating a dead horse, trying to rev up drama for literally no reason, and act like an ass for no other reason but just because. He’s no saint, but is it really worth breaking the rules that flat out goes “against name and shame”, while also keep reviving drama that has already passed? 

And there is the other “small” controversial topics that need to be locked/ hide because people can’t just.... be nice? Lord forbid you make a topic about Wendy’s age, or game balance, and especially about the pronouns of the characters in this game. I can’t stress how unbelievably stupid this controversy is. You have people getting mad at others for using the wrong pronoun for a png file for a video game, and feel the need to push this argument constantly by reminding people about an irrelevant fact that klei already made clear that it was irrelevant thanks to how inconsistent their writing is for some of these characters. Then you have other people full stop making topics about and throwing a fit that a character is nonbinary and/or trying to prove otherwise. And then there was that time where mods had to go lock and hide thread of someone promoting a lgbt flag skin for the RoT content. Why was that? Because, for some reason, some people thought that it was “pointless” or something, and felt the need to start an even more pointless argument about nothing. 

Then there is the divide in the community. Where you have people who want the game to be more like an uncompromising survival game, and people who want Klei to keep going the way they are. Both are equally annoying, because the former is filled with elitists that look down on newer fans and constantly complain about game mechanics that aren’t that much of an issue, and the latter that constantly acts like Klei is incapable of doing wrong and that every criticism about the game is some sort of toxicity. Never mind the fact that it’s 100% Klei’s fault for even making this divide in the first place by abandoning the first game and shifting the focus of the new content for dst to be more sandbox-y. And then after seeing that Tencent announcement and full stop seeing people unironically saying “yeah they might be responsible for genocide or somethin but-” just makes it harder for me to like Klei when the community is that unconditionally defensive of them. 

I could go on, but this is just me rant/venting at this point. I know that there are some good people in this community, but it’s so hard to appreciate them when the rest of the community is  just so... aggressive? Don’t know if this is going to fall on deaf ears but felt like i need to vent it out.

Wow...this about sums up why I almost spend all of my time in the off-topic subforum these days. That and burnout in general

Unfortunately, I've allowed myself to become too passionate and have burned bridges along the way. Sometimes things don't translate well over the internet and can be taken the wrong way and once you post something and it has been read you can no longer take it back. Sometimes it has been entirely my fault because of my lack of good conversation skills over the internet (this is my first forum ever). Other times I come across as elitist jerk or snob.

I'll take this moment to apologize to everyone. I know a good number of people avoid interacting with me completely because I am so argumentive but I want others to know I am always trying to improve myself. This comment is probably going to get buried or taken with a grain of salt but I am truly sorry for adding to the problem and make this a community a toxic environment. I do not wish to be a part of the problem. 

There is definitely a good chunk of the community that is almost blindly praising everything Klei does. Those people make it hard to have any sort of serious discussion about the game.

Unfortunately in reality Klei is indeed making bad decisions and disregards community's feedback or at least postpones making appropriate changes for years.

Now, I've chosen that I feel welcome in the community and etc. That is because I see people agree with/support me when I make my discussion topics. We can all laugh in the meme thread and showcase our builds but truth is that we should care about the direction the game is taking. Through my years on these forums I've seen enough people become inactive or  turn into a lurker. Sure, they might've had personal reasons but they could've also become tired of the fact that the game wasn't going in the direction they liked because devs 'ignored' their suggestions.

Overall the community is pretty okay but (at least for me) something always feels... off. 

The community is friendly enough. I met a pretty close online friend by saying I wanted to find people to play with on the forums and we both went into it like "meh, sure, probably one time" and it's almost been 2 years already.

I became friends with a super cool modder by telling him he was my "best friend ever since high school" in a mod discord server despite the fact we had never communicated before,  we're still friends lol.  There are some bad apples, but you do find pretty cool peeps to chill with.

22 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

[Klei] shifting the focus of the new content for dst to be more sandbox-y

Most of the new content is quite involved.

RWYS and purely ocean related gathering updates were a bit sandboxy. But the RWYS update has fixed a significant balance issue by significantly improving farming, which was basically a resource waste before (saying this purely from a game mechanics perspective).

The rest are pretty much advanced mechanics and typically gated behind combat, exploration and advanced tech. To me those updates don't feel sandbox-y at all. Beating the new bosses is something you do when you have pretty much figured out the game and can survive indefinitely (which is something the vast majority of players cannot).

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

Most of the new content is quite involved.

RWYS and purely ocean related gathering updates were a bit sandboxy. But the RWYS update has fixed a significant balance issue by significantly improving farming, which was basically a resource waste before (saying this purely from a game mechanics perspective).

The rest are pretty much advanced mechanics and typically gated behind combat, exploration and advanced tech. To me those updates don't feel sandbox-y at all. Beating the new bosses is something you do when you have pretty much figured out the game and can survive indefinitely (which is something the vast majority of players cannot).

Sandbox-y wasn't really the best word to describe it, in hindsight. 

What i was trying to say was that there is a less push on the survival elements of the game (which a lot of people played this game specifically for) and more on sandbox aspects (base-building, skin collecting, events, etc.) and exploration (Exploring ruins, ocean, etc.) 

It's not that this content is bad, but when back-to-back updates almost excursively focus on those players, that's when it starts to be bad. 

RWYS was, imo, overall good. I don't have an issue with updates that makes game mechanics more fleshed out, and it did effect the "survival aspect" by nerfing bunnymen and wicker from completely nullifying any challenges with food gathering, while also making Wurt, Wormwood, and Warly's gameplay better. I have some small issues with some of the changes, but none that would make me consider the update bad. 

But your last paragraph sums up my gripe with the end game content, it's something you do when the survival part of the game game stops becoming hard. That, and a lot of the new exploration content just feels one-and-done-ish. Nevermind the fact that if i can already survive base game without all the stuff from the exploration side of the game, what's even the point of doing it. 

Not saying that the content is bad, since the a lot of these are just options as to why i personally don't get hyped for new updates, but i just wish that the community was just more accepting of different perspectives of what the game should be made in stead of just saying everything is 100% fine and anyone who says otherwise is edgy rick or something.  

On 5/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Hornete said:

Generally I like the community, but in some of the bigger discord servers like the unofficial DS discord or Klei discord you've got some bad apples who ramble on about tier lists, which characters are overpowered, and having wonderful takes like "you won't need healing foods/item if you just don't get hit noob!!!!".

Other than that yeah this community is pretty cool :p, I like hanging out on smaller discord servers, joining random public servers and havin' fun with others and talking about the game.

and me

I've been apart of the Don't Starve community since the All's Well that Maxwell update and I've had a very positive experience with the community, I met several great friends through this community, although, I have admittedly curated my experience quite a bit. I'm mostly active on a smaller DS server on Discord and sometimes on the forums. 

I like the forums a lot and pop in here every now and then, but it's really not the place where the DST community shines.

19 hours ago, Szczuku said:

but they could've also become tired of the fact that the game wasn't going in the direction they liked because devs 'ignored' their suggestions.

Here goes I defending Klei on the comment that pointed out some people defending Klei unconditionally

Klei listens to suggestions quite a bit, and just to mention recent examples, Astral Detector pointing to Crab King and giant crops being able to be waxed for decoration were suggestions by players on the forum that almost immediately got implemented. The whole thing about Return of Them taking the direction of mostly very-late-game stuff -- which actually bothers me since the early game has not changed since single player DS --  addresses one of the most common and insistent complaints before this chapter, which was Fuel Weaver not being enough for end-game content. The huge amount of suggestions from users is something I really like about this community, and it actually gets incentivized by the fact that we know we might get heard. It just so happens with the sheer amount, it's impossible to take in most suggestions, though I understand the frustration in that.

edit:But the point then is.... since a new round of updates is coming, there has never been a better time to make your complaints about the direction of DST and state them clearly. I'm certainly not trying to disincentivize you from that.

I mean, for better or for worse in my opinion. The thing that I think a lot of people don't realize is that when you post things on the internet, good or bad, it reflects on your character and changes you very slightly; these are YOUR words, and no one elses. When you are kind online it is because you choose to be kind and to say what you do, same with being unkind and cruel. Many think that because you can hide behind anonymity that it doesn't matter what you say or how you behave; in fact, it's because of this reason I'm willing to bet that a lot of people (myself included) wouldn't have the nerve to say what we do here as in real life with the same gusto. To me, the reason why I think every thing you do changes you a little is because things get easier the more you do them, especially when there is little risk involved; the cruel become more cruel and the kind even kinder. After all, sometimes our smiles can come at the cost of someone else's tears; how you respond to it is what shows a glimpse of your true colors.

All in all I try to talk the way here that I do in real life as a general rule, and I haven't had many issues besides a few cruel remarks here and there. But that's normal. I tend not to hold it over anyone because we're all human, and we have great days and bad ones too; we say mean things, and we say the things that bring smiles to people's faces. I can't say I agree with the opinion that this community is toxic because I don't think a toxic community could hate and love Klei the way they do and keep coming back for more. That's all I have to say.

Voted unsure, cos as much I do spend a bit of time on the forums, steam and discord DST wise, I spend most of my time in-game with others or IRL friends as it gets exhausting to be involved with the community when there's other things I enjoy more. It doesn't help that the general discussion forum went more downhill over the last few months, with some threads that are clear signs of going to be locked sooner or later, and I would rather stare at the DST bug tracker section (if there's any recent in-game bugs) than hop over to there.

Then again, I'm not the type of person who spends most of my time in any online communities, so basically a lot just boils down to: YMMV.

As someone who is mainly active in the forums to learn how to become a memelord, I always felt this is a pretty chill and comfortable place. My ingame interaction with other players is also mostly nice (I only play on well-moderated servers though), but of course you can't avoid running into arrogant elitists sometimes.

Archived