who is the best chopper

options  

106 members have voted

1. 1. who is the best chopper/resource gatherer overall

• woodie
    • maxwell
    • wurt
    • other

Bearger is my main method for basically Anything that involves farming wood. It’s a bit risky to use, but the huge efficiency boost compared to most methods really helps if you can manage it properly. To reduce the said risk, I primarily use a pan flute if Bearger does get into danger, since the AOE knocks just about any mob from attacking it, primarily being treeguards.

If Bearger isn’t available, I’ll go with Maxwell for general chopping/mining, and Woodie for controlled clearing (like preparing an area for a build). Both are pretty good for general tasks, with Maxwell being slightly faster but more unpredictable with the shadow minions.

If I’m not trying to clear out a large area for general purposes or a build, I usually just go with honey spice and the tools I needed. It’s surprising how much you can clear out with 4 minutes as most characters using that combo.

2 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Guille already made an exhaustive video covering this topic so there is little left to discuss.

Plenty left to discuss. A good video opens doors to subjects, not close them.

It was a good video but treeguards absolutely have to be taken into account when comparing Max to Woodie, because bad treeguard RNG will absolutely obliterate your efficiency with Max.

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

It was a good video but treeguards absolutely have to be taken into account when comparing Max to Woodie, because bad treeguard RNG will absolutely obliterate your efficiency with Max.

True. That's why I like Woodie better as a character for mass chopping. No treegaurds when in Werebeaver form is an absolute godsend.

I'll have to say Maxwell because he's cheaper and I can pick up items while the clones work so it saves time- but when I really need wood and can't afford to fight treeguards every 4 minutes I grab some honey crystals and several beaver totems. Works wonders, full day work without breaks for light, no treeguards and funky music. 

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

it's absolutely true that treeguards slow down maxwell a lot, I was very clear about that, but based on my testing woodie vs maxwell simply isn't debatable; woodie has to spend a very significant amount of time chopping with or without honey only to *then* start picking up the wood and he can't even dig the stumps while chopping whereas maxwell is chopping + digging + picking from the first minute. I actually made a mistake in my video and gave maxwell a number of pig houses that was only suitable for 100-200 trees for a test that used 400 trees; woodie is so slow that simply hiring pigs to chop for you is actually faster than werebeaver + honey, just with the downside of not chopping during the night. I think all methods I showed in the video have their ups and downs for mass farming with the sole exception of woodie who offers nothing you can't get elsewhere and is significantly slower than every other method.

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

*Other: any player with a Shadow Thurible, a Forest or Caves Reanimated Skeleton, and some Lazy Forager. Since is always available (obviously late-game), on demand.

bearger is actually still faster than this, you mentioned lazy forager so casually as if you don't need multiple of them to grab the loot from hundreds of trees so I assume mushy cake is on the table

I'd say that Bearger is the best collector of wood, since he doesn't require any prep other than being near a forest/birchnut biome before spawning in to get work done. You can get a large amount of wood the first time around before Bearger dies to treeguards, usually enough wood to last you the year unless you need a ton of it for decoration like wooden or cobblestone turf. Using Bearger with birchnut trees pretty much counteracts the treeguard issue since one slam will kill the birchnut treeguards at the cost of extra time, since you need Bearger to hit as many trees as possible without running into them to get your birchnuts back.

Maxwell, however, is probably the best all around mainly because he has what are essentially infinite durability pickaxes at his disposal. Ice, Moon Glass, Ruins Statues, and other minable objects that aren't normal boulders can take a lot of extra hits from pickaxes that can chew through sticks and flint fast unless you're using golden pickaxes. After clearing the ruins once, this isn't much of an issue since you have stacks of frizzled wires, but Maxwell can get tons of these resources early game without much trouble, with the only problem just being that any enemy can interrupt the resource collecting since the shadows are so weak.

It largely depends on player count as well. As guille has stated, a big part of tree chopping is picking up the logs, something which can be sped up a lot if you have several players, and your plan is to dedicate one person to tree-chopping duty.

If you're on your own, bearger is probably one of if not the fastest methods, but it requires proper management as well as sticking to autumn harvests to be made use of, something a lot of people are too lazy to bother with, myself included. If you don't use him as per guille's instructions, you're going to be spawning a lot of treeguards, which can be quite annoying to deal with, as they chip away at his HP.

Once you get into multiplayer territory, however, there's value to be had in fast chopping. Wurt has a big advantage in this department due to the fact that she doesn't have any real limiters on how many choppers she can have at once, so you can just pick up logs with your pals and let the stumps despawn while merms chop fully grown trees. Sure, you'll get less wood per tree, but you'll be producing wood at a very steady rate, and merms take a long time to die to any treeguards that might spawn.

If you insist on digging up stumps, a maxwell can contribute quite nicely to your team. You can also double up on maxwells if you're not too concerned with swapping to do a harvest, or plan on using a looooot of logs.

Woodie is quite nice as a chopper, but doesn't really shine in too many departments due to his inability to pick up logs while harvesting as a werebeaver.

1 minute ago, Masked Koopa said:

If you're on your own, bearger is probably one of if not the fastest methods, but it requires proper management as well as sticking to autumn harvests to be made use of, something a lot of people are too lazy to bother with, myself included. If you don't use him as per guille's instructions, you're going to be spawning a lot of treeguards, which can be quite annoying to deal with, as they chip away at his HP.

Actually for some reason bearger's charge is unable to summon treeguards, so it's perfectly fine to use evergreens as long as you avoid the stomp and swipe attacks from hitting trees

3 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

bearger is actually still faster than this, you mentioned lazy forager so casually as if you don't need multiple of them to grab the loot from hundreds of trees so I assume mushy cake is on the table

OP asked for "best chopper", not fastest. Bearger spawns in Autumn, and most likely will gloriously kick the bucket in same autumn for vast majority of players using it as a logger since almost no-one bothers with having him only charge-chop and/or taking aggro from Treeguards. Still, one can outrun said ents, but is more of a hassle than anything. Most people want clean and direct cuts, not babysit and "tiptoe" some mob. And for that, after first 3 in-game years, leisurely, one can stress-free use mentioned Reanimated Skeleton - all the time. Did it died? No problem, you just revive it again, and repeat, as many times you desire. As for Orange Gems, a DF Winona Catapults farm has you covered the easy way, aside restarting ruins via Houndius Shootius & Lureplant exploit, if one wants efficient farms of everything that can be "farmable". Simple & easy, a la "work smarter, not harder" without uber micro-management efficiency.

PS: forgot to mention most important part - danger free, accounting lag/pub use.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

OP asked for "best chopper", not fastest. Bearger spawns in Autumn, and most likely will gloriously kick the bucket in same autumn for vast majority of players using it as a logger since almost no-one bothers with having him only charge-chop and/or taking aggro from Treeguards. Still, one can outrun said ents, but is more of a hassle than anything. Most people want clean and direct cuts, not babysit and "tiptoe" some mob. And for that, after first 3 in-game years, leisurely, one can stress-free use mentioned Reanimated Skeleton - all the time. Did it died? No problem, you just revive it again, and repeat, as many times you desire. As for Orange Gems, a DF Winona Catapults farm has you covered the easy way, aside restarting ruins via Houndius Shootius & Lureplant exploit, if one wants efficient farms of everything that can be "farmable". Simple & easy, a la "work smarter, not harder" without uber micro-management efficiency.

PS: forgot to mention most important part - danger free, accounting lag/pub use.

sure bearger has its downsides if used improperly but the reanimated skeleton has a ton of downsides too lmao, its logging speed is very mediocre if you don't use action queue because of its tiny hitbox, it leaves a lot of stumps behind, the forest version can only be used at night, the caves version is almost unusable with evergreens because it stops to attack treeguards at every second and birchnuts are hard to amass + you can't use them reliably outside autumn, and I definitely wouldn't call the caves skeleton "risk free" when it can hit you as well if you're careless; ignoring wood gathering speed doesn't magically make the skeleton the best

also lazy foragers are a waste of time in this scenario, a single one will save you about 90 seconds of picking up items at most without accounting for all the time bringing the gems and thule to a repaired station and transporting multiple foragers to where you want to chop wood

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

sure bearger has its downsides if used improperly but the reanimated skeleton has a ton of downsides too lmao, its logging speed is very mediocre if you don't use action queue because of its tiny hitbox, it leaves a lot of stumps behind, the forest version can only be used at night, the caves version is almost unusable with evergreens because it stops to attack treeguards at every second and birchnuts are hard to amass + you can't use them reliably outside autumn, and I definitely wouldn't call the caves skeleton "risk free" when it can hit you as well if you're careless; ignoring wood gathering speed doesn't magically make the skeleton the best

also lazy foragers are a waste of time in this scenario, a single one will save you about 90 seconds of picking up items at most without accounting for all the time bringing the gems and thule to a repaired station and transporting multiple foragers to where you want to chop wood

Different strokes for different folks. Am in no hurry, I can walk the Skeleton over an area as much I desire, more-so - since am always camping in Caves, Stalker can last for as long as I deem it necessary for my particular needs and wants, non-stop if so chosen. Also I call it a bon it fights Ents ("Let them fight!") at every step. And yes, my preference leans towards Evergreens whereas Birchnuts going "poisonous" spawn those pesky Birchnutters en-mass, and late-game 3-4 of their guards always pop together - very annoying to walk anything over them (Poison Birchnut Trees and their nutters). Compared to lagging on Bear's AoE ground-slam, being accidentally hit by Stalker is a proverbial slap on the wrist. And related to Orange gems, I always have a chest of them late-game just "collecting dust" (not a fan of Lazy Explorers for their clicky problem), thus burning some Foragers on wood is fine by me. I don't care about time, once more: am not micro-managing every action, is a game for relaxation - smack a pig and have a laugh. In the end that's my take on OP's issue, probably useful for some, certainly not their cup of tea for others - and that's ok.

Lazy foragers make a big difference in my log harvest, in particular because after everything is chopped (1k-2k logs range) the lag in my case is ridiculous, and I'm probably picking 1 item every 2 seconds by hand. I use ~6 foragers for every log harvest and I'd estimate it saves me around 2 days of picking. Even after constantly doing this for thousands of days for logs and the more rare stone-fruit harvests, I still have excess orange gems as much as I do yellow.

As for treeguards and bearger, birchnuts are the way to go for me, they don't damage him much and are easy to run over. Evergreens harvests are also managable but it's a bit more work and time consuming. 

Stalker is fine as well, but it feels bad to burn so many stumps, and he is also slower.

For quick clearing a small-ish area, I guess any character with glass axe and honey is enough for those jobs.

Archived