QoL changes you wish happened

I will list a few of QoL changes that i wish happened, i would like to be able to "tame" maxwell's shadows just the way you can with abigail so that you can stop them from mining/chopping/fighting, you could do this by right clicking the codex umbra, same way as with abigail, this would greatly help if you dont want aggro on you from mobs like spiders or your decorations in your base being ruined. I would also like skins for the shadows because why not, im sure klei can make some cool skins for the shadows, or at the least make them mimic maxwell's current appereance, i would also like if they mimicked all the emotes instead of just the dancing ones. I feel like this could be done in an upcoming update just like they changed wickerbottom's books, instead of it being done for maxwell's refreshment if that ever happens any time soon or ever.

If you have more QoL changes in mind, i would like to hear them out!

- A new late game way to create rains during summer

- A fix to merms not returning to their houses when they have not been friends with anyone for a day and got stuck somewhere. Also names for merms and an animation or comment they make to know that they are getting hungry, before friendship expires.

- Fireproof Falsetto, Wigfrid’s useless song, to be buffed or changed significantly and have a real purpose.

- Wigfrid’s healing song being able to regenerate ridden beefalo’s HP.

- Mushcakes allowing Woodie to not transform randomly by the moonstorm event for a day. 

Spoiler

If this was the answer to Woodie’s complains of not having enough cons then I guess he can keep the transformations every day. Alternatively maybe he can get something that protects him from the moonstorm but not from regular full moons.

- Weregoose getting a speed increase from 1.4 as it serves no purpose past early game/reaching moon island since YOTB changes are a thing.

Spoiler

It’s usually better to just use a cane and a Magi or a beefalo.

It will never, and should never be as good as a beefalo of course, but at least so it’s not so left behind in terms of speed. it already does not allow you to interact with anything and is vulnerable to all damage, so a bit more speed sounds fair.

- A way to use BERNIE! during enlightenment.

- A mini QOL rework for Winona like Wormwood got.

- Longer time based food effects for Warly

- Wortox being able to tell who needs healing, and being able to heal ridden beefalos

Spoiler

Optional: also being able to heal actively befriended mobs. He can’t befriend most things anyway so it would be more of a team perk

- Increase the durability of the Pick/Axe significantly.

- Add a way to prevent lazy explorer’s accidental telepoofs (perhaps making it right click + another button at the same time. Maybe this can be toggled on and off in settings)

- Remove the possibility of players being able to hit fully tamed beefalos. Currently it is only used for griefing.

- A way to make long lived worlds (+500 days) clean Rot, Twigs, silk, stingers and hounds teeth on the ground every in game year or something (perhaps as a command or an automated cleanup that happens every X days)

- Add more options to dedicated servers, EG: to manually allow Votekick and Vote Rollback but not Vote Regen.

- Add moderator level to dedicated servers, someone who can kick, ban and rollback but can’t use console commands., for example. Or the possibility to define a moderator’s role, which would be higher than a regular user but lower than the host/admin.

- Improve how dedicated servers handle the banlist and reserved slots, although this is more of bug fixing really:

Spoiler

Banlist breaks if you’ve manually edited it at some point and use the in game interface after, and reserved slots only really work for one person no matter how many you add.

- Warly receiving 2x duration on food effects.

- Warly being able to combine chili flakes & garlic powder into a chef's special which combines their effects.

- Pick/axe, and maybe even the Lazy Forager & thulecite club, durability increase or ability to repair. This is more balance than QoL but they've done balance changes before in QoL patches so the precedent is set.

- Clean Sweeper recipe adjusted to be more pub friendly. It's not remotely difficult to get in a private world (you'll probably even get it for free from trees) so any changes to its recipe would go pretty unnoticed there, but in public servers people pick all the evil flowers for some reason and seem to either disconnect with clean sweepers or burn them so you need to make another every time you want to use it which basically means you need to commit suicide.

- And/or add a better way to make evil flowers rather than committing suicide.

My QOL changes are:

- increase bramble husk damage from 22.6 to 25

-Give us a hp bar for a Beefalo's health 

-Enemies set on fire by Willow don't produce ash

-Allow mushroom planter to grown in Winter. They already do underground, but it requires a loading screen every time.

-Allow bramble traps to activate on flying enemies. They're supposed to be magical.

- Blooming wormwood should activate the bramble husk every few seconds without being hit and reset traps without having to do so manually. This keeps him from being a pick and swap character and gives him a minor boost in boss battles (also wont be affected by Warly's dishes).

-BERNIE! Should activate at low enlightenment. 

- A late game way to stop hound waves (turning them to moon stone would be cool).

On 3/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, W0l0l0 said:

Some things I came up with:

Mobs being able to retarget and hit players that they're not even facing. 

Speeding up the animation to activate a crock pot so it's comparable to opening and pressing the "cook" button.

Being able to use Magiluminecence as goose?

The stupid pillars blocking the view in the Atrium.

Make Slurtle mounds able to regenerate health over time.

Remove small peninsulas in the caves that contain absolutely nothing of use. 

Allow Bernie to be shrunk on command. 

I get it, Winona gets hungry when working, she doesn't need to constantly tell us. 

Make boats, anchored or otherwise, come to a halt eventually.

Fixing that murm getting home issue I've heard so much about.

Structures requiring chronological order of placement for some reason for optimal compactness.

Some level of control over Maxwell's shadows.

Also like to add a change to neutral treeguards having hostile priority with the attack button.

That's off the top of my head. More gameplay involved but I'd still consider most of these suggestions quality of life. 

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

- Warly receiving 2x duration on food effects.

- Warly being able to combine chili flakes & garlic powder into a chef's special which combines their effects.

- Pick/axe, and maybe even the Lazy Forager & thulecite club, durability increase or ability to repair. This is more balance than QoL but they've done balance changes before in QoL patches so the precedent is set.

(...)

Kind of like the Warly ones. The duration would apply to Warly and make him more efficient for himself, a good thing IMO. The chilli flakes and garlic powder thing too. Typically when you have both available and use one you also want to use the other. Actually cannot think of an instance where you wouldn't want the other buff as well.

The Pick/Axe balance right now is one of the things that kind of annoys me. It's such an old item that is obviously too expensive but kind of cool. The only time you'd get this item would be through Ancient Guardian or some of the other random occurrences. I'm thinking double durability or even more. The cost of the item is not just the materials, even though if you are using a fresh axe and pickaxe you wont really gain much from this craft. There is also the cost of not being able to prototype it, so you'll be doing quite a long trip as well. The only current "use" is to stack up on almost broken axes and pickaxes until you can fill an inventory and then recycle them via this craft. Not exciting at all, high inventory/planning cost, small payoff.

Thulecite Club is IMO a bit of an underrated item. We apparently have cheaper ways to get thulecite as well now (which I haven't tried yet) so it might have gotten more accessible? 200 uses is quite high for a weapon and the movement speed is obviously welcome too. It is however very expensive and I don't think anyone would complain if it got more durability. I think if it had 100 more uses it would be considered much more often as a craft. This item isn't bad, but its just slighly overshadowed by hambats and darkswords for most situations in terms of cost-benefit.

---

Edit:

Also one should consider that thulecite crafts always compete with the best ancient tab options as well. So getting a club over a darksword is not *just* about the time you invest and the payoff, but since thulecite is rare and hard to renew you're also paying an opportunity cost (or something similar) of not crafting crowns, which are arguably the most powerful non-utility thulecite use.

wilson being able to regress beard from lvl 3 to 2

wes being able to read signs

burnable traps and straw hats

other players not being able to attack my completely tamed beefalo

removed tamed beefalo damage taken from tooth traps

remove "ctrl+f" attack towards walls and fences

different keybind to lazy explorer (or at least optional choice)

- bonded beefalo only able to be attacked with control click similar to befriended pigs, etc

- fixing rare world gen bug of ruins structures/mobs not generating in world generation

- fixing rare world gen bug of ruins 8-statue 2-bishop set piece in sacred biome not in generation

- fixing rare world gen bug of fountains of knowledge in archives not in generation

- increasing cookie cutter shell drop rate from cookie cutters

- increasing lightbulb drop rate from skitter squids

- increasing fuel efficiency of deck illuminator (maybe also accepting lightbulbs?)

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

- Blooming wormwood should activate the bramble husk every few seconds without being hit and reset traps without having to do so manually. This keeps him from being a pick and swap character and gives him a minor boost in boss battles (also wont be affected by Warly's dishes).

I can't imagine seeing Wormwood as a "pick and swap" character whenever he's already so amazing at farming both in and out of farm plots. I thought the issue people had with "pick and swap" characters was whenever they had little benefits outside of their craftable items, not just having craftable items in general.

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

Thulecite Club is IMO a bit of an underrated item. We apparently have cheaper ways to get thulecite as well now (which I haven't tried yet) so it might have gotten more accessible? 200 uses is quite high for a weapon and the movement speed is obviously welcome too. It is however very expensive and I don't think anyone would complain if it got more durability. I think if it had 100 more uses it would be considered much more often as a craft. This item isn't bad, but its just slighly overshadowed by hambats and darkswords for most situations in terms of cost-benefit.

IMO the problem with clubs is that dark swords overshadow them so much. They cost 1/3 of the living logs clubs do, and can be made on the fly. Why make a club that does less damage when I could make 3 dark swords, get more uses, and more damage? It's not like nightmare fuel is even a problem, since swords only cost 1 more than clubs, plus you're spending thulecite. It also doesn't help that the shadow tentacles that spawn are bugged (afaik). The tentacles only attack once, meaning the dps boost they provide is minuscule, not to mention that you can't prototype clubs. As a boss killing weapon, they can be decent, assuming you craft them using a construction amulet, but that's more resources spent when you could've just made dark swords.

Of course, if you have an ornery beefalo, none of this matters since ornery beefalo are kinda busted. Unlimited tentacle spike/dark sword in a game all about items having limited durability is very powerful. In fact, ornery beefalo are the reason I believe celestial champion should drop a unlimited durability weapon, or at least fuelled with some moon based material, with damage similar to a thulecite club.

SImilar to other people here, I wish pick/axe was better. Did you know it actually cuts slightly more efficiently than normal tools? You can break normal boulders in 5 hits instead of 6, wow, totally worth the thulecite and the trip to the ruins. I'd like to see an efficiency buff, and maybe 50% more durability to the tool, obviously it shouldn't be as good as lunar axe, but 4 hits for a boulder and 10 for a big tree sounds good to me.

I'd also like to see a caves celestial orb, or a way to bring it into the caves, as that would make glass cutters for fuelweaver be much more space efficient. On the topic of the celestial tab, I'd like for at least 1 more use for moon glass. We get so much of the stuff from the champion, bath bombs, and moon dials, and yet there's only 2 crafts That have an impact on gameplay. Maybe a piece of armor that damages enemies when they hit you, similar to the bramble husk, but more fragile, less protecting, and maybe even causing additional damage to you when hit since it's, y'know, made of glass.

A global pause function (preferably activated through a mechanism in the game). A way to dedicate / reserve slots in your inventory for certain items, since I can't for the love of my life learn how to make items land in the desired slots when unequipping them and keep my inventory organized (to the degree that I want).

-Reduce the cost of summoning the celestial champion after the first time. Summoning the champion with 30 charged Moonglass, 15 moongleams, and 3 statics gets dull after awhile, and isn’t enjoyable to farm. If they wish to make the fight something you need to do in order to constantly farm the lights, reducing the summon cost would go a long way.

-Add a “portable” pseudoscience station. Similar to how the celestial orb becomes empowered after the first champion kill, having the fuelweaver cause something that allows pseudoscience recipes to be crafted anywhere would help a lot.

-Add recipes for archive and the other ruins turf. Pretty simple for archive, but I always wanted to decorate with the standard ruins turf. It has such neat potential, and it’s a shame it’s not craftable.

-Make a few other items high res. The ones that really stand out to me are the thulecite crown and club, but other items like the glass cutter would also be nice to see get the resolution bump.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I can't imagine seeing Wormwood as a "pick and swap" character whenever he's already so amazing at farming both in and out of farm plots. I thought the issue people had with "pick and swap" characters was whenever they had little benefits outside of their craftable items, not just having craftable items in general.

I think you miss read what I wrote. He isn't a pick and swap character at the moment, no. However if the bramble husk did damage over time without needing to be triggered with hits for anyone other than Wormwood he could become that. 

It would be another damage increase for Wolfgang, which is why I suggest needing blooming to trigger. Craftable items are very sought after when they cause damage. A lot of people don't like Wormwood's disadvantages despite them not really being that harsh. 

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

so you need to make another every time you want to use it which basically means you need to commit suicide.

- And/or add a better way to make evil flowers rather than committing suicide.

Such methods already exist. 

Evil petals drop with a small chance from the tumbleweed. If there is a desert on the server, killing yourself is not necessary, you just need a little patience and luck. If there is a tamed beefalo, then chasing them becomes a really simple task.

And if you need evil flowers like flowers, bees can spread them. Bees separated from their hive(i.e., caught in a net and liberated again) create a new flowers based on the last six they have pollinated. If you create a small flowerbed with evil flowers and put a few bees on it, they will begin to produce evil flowers around. The only thing, player shouldn't be too far away for the area to be loaded. And it's dangerous to be around in the spring. But other than that, the scheme is working and you only need to kill yourself once, to create the original flowerbed. Maybe also fence it off somehow, so that it would be clear for others that they can pick only new flowers. I don't know if this method is "better", but it exists.

11 minutes ago, Lokena said:

Such methods already exist. 

Evil petals drop with a small chance from the tumbleweed. If there is a desert on the server, killing yourself is not necessary, you just need a little patience and luck. If there is a tamed beefalo, then chasing them becomes a really simple task.

Getting six different 1% drops from tumbleweeds is ridiculous and far worse than just committing suicide.

12 minutes ago, Lokena said:

And if you need evil flowers like flowers, bees can spread them.

This assumes you have evil flowers.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Getting six different 1% drops from tumbleweeds is ridiculous and far worse than just committing suicide.

I suppose it's a matter of personal perspective, because I've had them very often. One, maybe two days of running in the desert. If this is a big waste of time for you, then I don't know what to suggest. But the second method is almost completely passive. Yes, you need to create a platform with flowers once, but after that it works autonomous, and you don't need to die "every time". Also, I think you can create Sweeper and just hide it somewhere? Even small worlds are big enough to find a place where hardly anyone will look. I will agree that this is a strange problem, and I don't understand why someone would specifically destroy or take this tool away again and again, but it doesn't look to me like a situation for which you need to change the in-game recipe.

An alternative way to create evil flowers sounds nice, though. I play solo, so I didn't just have to die, but I had to revive in only a minute or so, or the whole world would be deleted. Really frayed my nerves.

Maybe a mod for it exists somewhere, but playing a fair bit recently, a huge small detail for me would be giving light source items in the inventory some sort of colored backdrop or way to make them stand out, similar to food.

It might just be a me problem, but traveling with all I can hoard for supplies or loot, it gets seriously annoying hunting for my lantern or miner's hat in the mess when items jump around when you unequip and juggle them. This problem is exacerbated with item skins that make things even harder to recognize in the UI.

It'd be nice to have colorcoded backdrops or some sort of UI thing in general players can set to highlight items they'll need constantly in their inventory and lessen the headache of finding things.

(On a smaller and even more personal note, could lanterns and miner hats flicker, and your character give a warning text before they go out? It's always startling and inconvenient when they just do so without warning while you're busy with danger at your neck..)

Tacking this on, I don't play Wig, but have a friend who does and it's weird to me some treats are edible to her while others aren't. I know Wig hardly needs sanity food, but I wish it was consistent and just allowed me to feed them icecream and waffles.

-Give spiders a delay on eating meat drops 

-Some kind of colector for Wigfrid songs

-Woby doesn't runs away when dismounting

-Remove the Deck Illuminator 50% fuel reduction penalty

-An option in the Item collection to display the characters in order of release date and not random

Archived