What do you think about damage taken during loading screen?

This is not a new feature that during time player is on loading screen after entering/exiting caves there is no way to control character and avoid damage in some cases. For example, some time ago I was playing during spring and was on loading screen after exiting the caves, my character had 80 hp, but unfortunally eyeplant was already there biting me when I couldn't do anything, so I loaded in the world dead, with my stuff rapidly being eaten by that same eyeplant (so no life giving amulet backup). I would like to remind that in DST map is not updated automatically (this is a feature of DS), so even if I checked map before going into caves, I wouldn't be able to see anything, not to mention the fact that I was exiting first time through that particular cave exit, so the only thing I could do is to turf every single cave entrance with crafted flooring, which is ridiculous. Another case happened yesterday: I was playing as Wortox and was at full hp, that was evening of day 2 when I entered caves for the first time (I had no armor, I entered caves to find gold, rocks, materials for lantern) and was stunlocked by like 4 bunnymen and much more were running towards me, because bunnymen village was half screen away from cave exit. That time I was able to soul hop away from evil vegans, but was 1 hit away from the death, I was "lucky" that time. I don't consider that situation my fault and lack of strategy, and even if that was so, what is the solution? Never enter caves unless you have full hp and armor with decent durability on you? Seems like artificial limit to me. And today was yet another case: I was exiting the caves as Walter (I used this cave exit for the first time), but killer bee hive spawned right on top of cave entrance and when I loaded I already lost 120 hp and all sanity. Another example of "great" design, after which I just don't want to play anymore, at least for some time or until I find mod which solves that problem. Therefore I decided to create topic here, to see what people think about these kind of situations, and if that bothers anybody else, discuss possible solutions.

As for solution, I suggest making player untargetable for mobs as long as one doesn't have control over character + a few seconds after, just like spawn protection works. I don't know exactly how it is coded, but I can see a problem of different players have different loading time, so something like flat 30 seconds of immunity won't help and will be another unfair thing to players with different connection quility. Is there a way to check whether player is on loading screen, for example, check "if player is pressing movement button but character isn't moving, then player has no control", in which case player should be made untargetable?

I like the suggestion of the character being only cosmetic until a grace period passes or they perform an action. Only then they are alive in the world and are considered by mobs, hazards and so on.

47 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

If you suffer such lag/performance issues, then you should play on a different server.

If it persists even onto your hosted game, consider upgrsding your computer.

I those siggestions are kind of valid. But a mechanic relying on loading times is essentially a bug. 

This happens to me all the time. I only go up to the surface during daytime if there isn't a bunnyman at the sinkhole because of the bats. It's annoying. I think they should add a short amount of time of invincibility when loading in. Kind of like the portal protection.

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

If you suffer such lag/performance issues, then you should play on a different server.

1. All mentioned above cases happened when I was host and the only one playing on the server, server was default size, no big mods.

2. I think my computer is fine, for reference, game is smooth enough that I can kite dragonfly, bishop on beefalo after 3 hits, spitter, soul hop to use invisibility frames, and in general with lag compensation off I see no visual signs of lag. Also I load into the caves/forest on average for 30 seconds. It seems like my character materializes in the world just a few seconds before loading screen goes away, and problem is even if that is 2-4 seconds that is enough for mobs to surround me and deal significant damage. If you could recreate these situations with your beast computer and then write there how much damage you took, I would appreciate.

51 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

1. All mentioned above cases happened when I was host and the only one playing on the server, server was default size, no big mods.

2. I think my computer is fine, for reference, game is smooth enough that I can kite dragonfly, bishop on beefalo after 3 hits, spitter, soul hop to use invisibility frames, and in general with lag compensation off I see no visual signs of lag. Also I load into the caves/forest on average for 30 seconds. It seems like my character materializes in the world just a few seconds before loading screen goes away, and problem is even if that is 2-4 seconds that is enough for mobs to surround me and deal significant damage. If you could recreate these situations with your beast computer and then write there how much damage you took, I would appreciate.

The issue would not be caused by anything that impacts framerate, at least not unless the issue is extremely severe. Load times would be more your HDD & maybe RAM, while performance would be more CPU & maybe GPU. If you have the funds I would recommend buying an SSD to put the game on, or checking to see if you need to at least replace your HDD with a new one.

Other things that could potentially cause the issue are viruses, bad programs, other programs reading/writing heavily from the same disk, maybe outdated drivers, and maybe too many programs being open.

Actually is quite not right to get damaged during loading time. Also changing/upgrading computer will work only for person who did that and not everybody can get better pc/laptop. In-game protection would be something more fair for everyone, even if some people will say stuff like "buuuu game treating players like babies buuu". So far most important part of the game is "multiplayer", and being unable to do any action during loading time, is just unfair.

8 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

It's part of the uncompromising wilderness survival theme.

I don't agree with that. It's all fine if you can counter it. This you can not counter. Or you could, by buying a better pc but that's just not right. This is what the problem with disease was, basically.

9 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

I don't agree with that. It's all fine if you can counter it. This you can not counter. Or you could, by buying a better pc but that's just not right. This is what the problem with disease was, basically.

They're joking, poor Quarts here has gone insane from all the people who unironically use that "bUt tHe gAmE iS uNcOmproMisinG" argument, I cant blame him though.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

They're joking, poor Quarts here has gone insane from all the people who unironically use that "bUt tHe gAmE iS uNcOmproMisinG" argument, I cant blame him though.

Makes sense. Sarcasm really can't get through text. And I'm known to miss it, even still.

Spoiler

sorry 

9 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

lagging?? just get a new computer :cool2::cool2::cool2:

The issue really comes down to the fact the client will almost always have a noticeable delay to when you spawn and when you take control of a character. While the time can vary wildly (I usually take control within 1-2 seconds, but I know my old PC took way longer, with a 5-6 second delay). While I haven’t really been killed by it, I can certainly say I’ve been hit by a batalisk 1-2 times occasionally when I can’t do anything whatsoever.

If I were to suggest an improvement, a potentially viable method (although could be abused...) is giving the player a variant of spawn protection whenever they log into a server. This “join armor” would last only ~10 seconds from spawning in, and would dissipate the moment the server was able to register a movement/action (crafting an item or using items/eating food, etc.) of any sort. The effect it would grant would be similar to how when you spawn nearby a trapped portal, mobs of any sort are unable to snag aggro on you, preventing a bunch of cheap deaths as the OP has listed.

Know what, something like that just happened to me yesterday as the host : I was going out of caves, full heath then I've been cronched the hell out of me by bats, at the very moment I could just move I had only 20HP left and 0 sanity, nice Walter moment

Archived