What would you like to see with the New Character?

Just now, Cheggf said:

Really? Moving faster, not being stung by bees, not healing with food, freely planting crops, and crafting armor that explodes when you're hit all stick to one concept?

the not healing with food just seems weird but transitions with him fertilizing to heal and yes all of these seems to be related to being a plant moving faster when he is bloomed having an armor which is make of thorns not being stung by bees makes sense because he would be pollinated but pg 13 kids 

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

the not healing with food just seems weird but transitions with him fertilizing to heal and yes all of these seems to be related to being a plant moving faster when he is bloomed having an armor which is make of thorns not being stung by bees makes sense because he would be pollinated but pg 13 kids 

If "Moving faster" (Despite the fact that plants are stationary) and "Crafting armor that explodes when you get hit" are related to being a plant then "Having a pet" and "Being allergic to bees" are related to being an adventurous young boy scout.

I can agree that Wormwood is also freaky weird. He's a great farmer but it's best used when it's all rotten... Not broken, just weird. I think Walter gets more flak because he has a lot of barely impactful gimmics, like the tree, and the tent, as opposed to unintuitive ones that have a greater impact as seen with Wormwood.

13 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If "Moving faster" (Despite the fact that plants are stationary) and "Crafting armor that explodes when you get hit" are related to being a plant then "Having a pet" and "Being allergic to bees" are related to being an adventurous young boy scout.

touche 

24 minutes ago, Dextops said:

because those stick to one concept while walter seems to be all over the place

Pretty much all of Walter's abilities are in some way tied to ranged combat. The extra inventory helps hold all the ammo types, the speed boost helps avoid getting hit, the bad health and sanity encourages a ranged playstyle, the tent helps heal if you do get hit, the campfire story helps regen sanity if you get hurt while also making Walter a good team player. The only ability that isn't connected is the bee allergy, which I find to be a nice extra bit of flavor for the character. Honestly I'd be happy for every character to have a small barely relevant ability like that. Makes them feel more like real people.

21 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

I can agree that Wormwood is also freaky weird. He's a great farmer but it's best used when it's all rotten... Not broken, just weird. I think Walter gets more flak because he has a lot of barely impactful gimmics, like the tree, and the tent, as opposed to unintuitive ones that have a greater impact as seen with Wormwood.

But the tree & tent perk are some of the most boyscout related perks he has, and the tent is one of his strongest perks. Wormwood not being burned by fire nettles may as well not exist because of how little it does.

5 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

The only ability that isn't connected is the bee allergy, which I find to be a nice extra bit of flavor for the character.

Plus, having one perk unrelated to the others isn't even a new thing. Wolfgang, one of the oldest characters, the mighty strongman with a high metabolism to reflect his bodybuilder status also just so happens to be scared of monsters. Nobody cares about that, though, just like nobody cares that Wendy is comfortable with the dark, or that Willow has +10% to sanity auras, or that literally nothing Wickerbottom has is related to being a librarian except her book tab.

I think people don't like how "Walter is all over" because somebody reading the patch notes for the new character erroneously felt like he was more random than the other characters and the meme just stuck.

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

But the tree & tent perk are some of the most boyscout related perks he has, and the tent is one of his strongest perks. Wormwood not being burned by fire nettles may as well not exist because of how little it does

Good counterexample, the fire nettle thing is pretty insignificant, similar to the eyeplants. How strong is the tent? I don't play Walter and it I'm gonna be honest it doesn't sound to be much more than a convenience. 

What I'm trying to get at is that (from what I've heard) Walters big perk with the slingshot isn't effective enough to use it over melee, and since there's no debuff with weapons you might as well use standard weapons as if the slingshot doesn't exist (under the assumption that it's not worth using, I'm sure more creative plays will still find opportunities to use it). Woby is fine, but doesn't do anything additional that a beefalo and Chester can't do. And same with the tent. They're all nice additions in their own right, but just slightly more convenient versions of items that already existed. I assume from everyone else's perspective it doesn't change Walter enough to be unique.

There's one property of Walter that I feel a lot different about though. The whole "insanity immunity until hit" thing I really dig, and is something that I haven't seen anywhere before. It's a really cool idea that makes intuitive sense with Walter's character, a lot more than Wormwood having faster movement speed. It's probably a nightmare for new players, but after thinking about Walter in this thread I will concede that that stat is really cool and underappreciated. 

4 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Good counterexample, the fire nettle thing is pretty insignificant, similar to the eyeplants.

I also just remembered that Wormwood is more flammable than other characters. It's so insignificant I legitimately forgot it was even a perk.

4 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

How strong is the tent? I don't play Walter and it I'm gonna be honest it doesn't sound to be much more than a convenience. 

Combined with his perk of half hunger drain while sleeping the tent is very powerful. Each camper's tent can max his health & sanity 10 times (in addition to warming and drying him), although it does cost some time. But the tent never spoils unlike the food you'll likely use to heal, and time spent sleeping is no different to time spent gathering healing items. Plus, time lost sleeping might even be counteracted by time gained by riding Woby.

It's not something you're going to be using as your only healing source throughout the entire game but it is a very valuable tool, especially early game. Walter has a very comfortable ruins clear.

9 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

What I'm trying to get at is that (from what I've heard) Walters big perk with the slingshot isn't effective enough to use it over melee, and since there's no debuff with weapons you might as well use standard weapons as if the slingshot doesn't exist (under the assumption that it's not worth using, I'm sure more creative plays will still find opportunities to use it).

Because people are trying to play Walter wrong. They think that an easy source of safe damage should be comparable in strength to a risky source of damage and think no further than that. The slingshot is not a weapon meant for taking down bosses (Although it can be if you want to be a little  silly[1] [2]), it is a tool for various purposes. Gold rounds can hunt birds easily to gain gold, morsels, and feathers (Obviously not as well as Wickerbottom but better than everyone else) or aggro cowardly things like koalefants and goats, freeze rounds are very useful wherever you would use an ice staff (Each round is equal to 2 ice staff uses, and you can stack 60 in a slot, so you basically have 6 ice staves on one inventory slot), marble rounds can be used for the easiest tentacle kill alongside Wendy where you do nothing except hold F (Wendy's is faster but Walter's guarantees neither he nor Abigail ever get hit), and some other things too.

16 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

Woby is fine, but doesn't do anything additional that a beefalo and Chester can't do.

Yeah she does. She exists alongside the others, and goes through portals. Everyone can't have Chester & everyone can't have Hutch, but every Walter can have Woby. She also doesn't take an inventory slot, and follows you as a ghost so you can guarantee safe revives, and can be used alongside Chester & Hutch, and doesn't require a billion twigs and a 3 hour time investment. Beefalo bell is indirectly a bit of a nerf to her since she used to be the only mount that can go in caves but it doesn't matter.

And the argument of "It's good but it's not unique" applies to literally everything. Wolfgang is fine, but anyone else can fight just like he can. Wickerbottom's tentacle farms are fine, but they are replaceable with other designs like ovens. 

20 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

There's one property of Walter that I feel a lot different about though. The whole "insanity immunity until hit" thing I really dig, and is something that I haven't seen anywhere before. It's a really cool idea that makes intuitive sense with Walter's character, a lot more than Wormwood having faster movement speed. It's probably a nightmare for new players, but after thinking about Walter in this thread I will concede that that stat is really cool and underappreciated. 

His sanity perks are great. They tie together with the entire kit so much more than any other character. People like to say Walter is all over the place, but he's one of the most cohesive characters. Get hit lose health and sanity, can't gain sanity from clothing, sleep in tent to get both back. Slingshot helps you not get hit because of its powerful freeze rounds, and in some situations (or all, theoretically, if you want to be slow) helps you avoid taking damage entirely since you can shoot from a distance. 

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

And the argument of "It's good but it's not unique" applies to literally everything. Wolfgang is fine, but anyone else can fight just like he can. Wickerbottom's tentacle farms are fine, but they are replaceable with other designs like ovens. 

I can't agree with you here on the examples given since they require different set up and there are very few straight damage multipliers in the game but I know where you're getting at.

Doing things that can already be done in different ways is better when the method is different, requires different investment, and has different risks to it. For example, you can fight a mob as yourself or say, in Woodie's moose form. If Woodie's moose form had zero investment, no risk, and identical stats as a ham bat wilson without the charge, it would be pointless and boring. But the charge gives a pseudo aoe, is a lot of fun, and has a cost. It's a sidegrade to other aoe, armour and weapons. Because the goose form is different from Woby, it can have advantages (such as water walking) and downsides (much riskier to use). If Woodie's goose form was replaced with "summons a beefalo reskin for half a day", it would loose a lot of appeal. I think Walters perks are very easy to compare to existing things because they interact in the same way, and even look similar.

Yeah she does. She exists alongside the others, and goes through portals. Everyone can't have Chester & everyone can't have Hutch, but every Walter can have Woby. She also doesn't take an inventory slot, and follows you as a ghost so you can guarantee safe revives, and can be used alongside Chester & Hutch, and doesn't require a billion twigs and a 3 hour time investment. Beefalo bell is indirectly a bit of a nerf to her since she used to be the only mount that can go in caves but it doesn't matter.

How fast is Woby? Because I'm hoping she keeps her relevance after you get a walking cane, otherwise she's just a bit of early game convenience. The extra slots are a nice addition, even when playing alone which is great.

Because people are trying to play Walter wrong. They think that an easy source of safe damage should be comparable in strength to a risky source of damage and think no further than that.

I can absolutely agree with this. 

11 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

How fast is Woby? Because I'm hoping she keeps her relevance after you get a walking cane, otherwise she's just a bit of early game convenience. The extra slots are a nice addition, even when playing alone which is great.

Woby is a 67% boost at 35-50 hunger, 50% boost at 16.5+, and 33% boost under that. She loses 20 hunger per day (8 minutes).

A magi is a 20% boost, cane is 25%, road is 30%, magi+cane is 50%, cane+road is 62.5%, and magi+cane+road is 95%. She's not much of a boost if you've cobblestoned the planet, but simply having a walking cane does not make her irrelevant.

I want to see not the moon character that fits the new version of the game, but the characters that were not implemented when the game was first released and the game was darker and more gothic back then .. and I would like to see the witch waverly. a real witch character as a character is not a librarian, but a witch character

I'll be happy with whatever Klei choose to release, but I would really want to see a new adult and human character, I'm not really interested to talk ability wise because that would be pointless, Klei knows what they will do and what could be useful in the future, but, design wise, I would definitively want an asian looking character, I don't care about the gender, or, an old man, not Wagstaff, of course, he's an NPC plus I would much rather prefer a brand new character ! The majority of the most recent casts are boys (beside Wurt of course), so I would definitively welcome a lady ! (I'll just welcome any new character tbh).

characters centered around a theme that offer a different way to play are some of my favorites

webber, wormwood, warly, wes, and characters like them aren't the strongest, but they have a lot of very unique perks and disadvantages that make them different and fun to play

as for the theme of this new character... there's a lot, and i can't list them all, but one thing i'd find cool in particular is a character with a deep connection to the "moon"

wormwood's relationship with the moon isn't really explored, his gimmick is more related to plants then his origin from the moon.

so having a character that has more lunar-related things about them could be really cool for RoT or the next arc after!

and they dont have to come from the moon-- they could have a fascination with it, or maybe it did something to them or someone they care about and they want to find out how/why

Honesty I believe it might just be a Wagstaff port, but I really hope it’s pearl lol. I love pearl and her island and quest and lore and it would be nice to have a character that’s more developed around water. Probably not but a water focused character would make the sea a bit more less boring.

anything related to lunar magic, it is painfully underused as of right now compared to shadow magic which i would love to see expanded upon too in maxwell's rework, preferably not a perk soup like wurt, wormwood, and walter, and maybe some more good lore quotes.

at this point i dont know realy anymore wagstaff got to be an npc even if many says that hes goin to be next just so that he becomes npc then there are the other characters of shipwreck and hamlet wich i kinda hope dont come to together like havin only 1 of them from shipwreck or hamlet is alredy good  or some say whiterstone is goin in wich i dont realy see he kinda looks like a normal person and we alredy have wilson for that then the sugestions are made that its a character not realy pat of anything like just a non human because they dit say its a dlc character and so far all of them are non humans so there is an good reason to asume that or klei could just come in and resurect warbucks as far as we know everything can happen

I would like to see a NEW dedicated ocean character. Maybe one that can catch fish easier. Or can find sunken treasure more often or better loot from them (or even their own special loot). As well as controlling boats easier. Or a really interesting idea, being able to place structures closer than normal but only on boats, which would make them a very good dedicated sailor

someone that has spent a long time in the constant (Maybe even mutated by some aspect of it), but mostly I want good quotes, i luv my boy wormwood and wurt, but their quotes usually dont have much juice to them. 

Like if when they examined certain mobs they could hint at a strategy the player could use, like if it examined a rabbit den "I can just dig those guys up if Im hungry"

20 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

Good counterexample, the fire nettle thing is pretty insignificant, similar to the eyeplants. How strong is the tent? I don't play Walter and it I'm gonna be honest it doesn't sound to be much more than a convenience. 

What I'm trying to get at is that (from what I've heard) Walters big perk with the slingshot isn't effective enough to use it over melee, and since there's no debuff with weapons you might as well use standard weapons as if the slingshot doesn't exist (under the assumption that it's not worth using, I'm sure more creative plays will still find opportunities to use it). Woby is fine, but doesn't do anything additional that a beefalo and Chester can't do. And same with the tent. They're all nice additions in their own right, but just slightly more convenient versions of items that already existed. I assume from everyone else's perspective it doesn't change Walter enough to be unique.

The tent has 10 uses, is portable, and Walter passively gains more stats and loses less hunger from sleeping.

18 hours ago, pr0o said:

I want to see not the moon character that fits the new version of the game, but the characters that were not implemented when the game was first released and the game was darker and more gothic back then .. and I would like to see the witch waverly. a real witch character as a character is not a librarian, but a witch character

That's what I want too, a real bonified cauldron brewing witch. The mods I've seen that try to do that have been pretty top notch and I think it would really fit.

Archived