Why did Maxwell want Wilson?

With the new updates, we've been getting more and more information about why the survivors went into the constant. Wes was brought in by accident, but Maxwell intended to catch Witherstone, a guy who he owed money to and was being threatened by if he didn't pay up. Wendy was likely taken in out of sympathy, so she could be reunited with her sister. Willow was probably the one responsible for the voxola factory fire, which sabotaged Maxwell's plans, so he took her in. Et cetera, et cetera. you get the idea. But why was Wilson taken in? What did he do that made Maxwell seek that revenge? Sure, we know how he tricked Wilson, but why did he trick Wilson? And why did Wilson need to make a portal while everyone else could just get taken in by shadow hands in the ground?

20 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

why did Wilson need to make a portal while everyone else could just get taken in by shadow hands in the ground?

Because retcon, uh, I mean, uh, Maxwell's powers have grown.

31 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

snip

Thematic undertones could be at play here too. That other guy dragged into the Constant in winona's trailer (be it really Wagstaff or some othe shmuck) also needed a portal (and by extension, so did Winona). Perhaps the portal's a specific way of dragging specific kinds of people Maxwell wants in the constant, in this case the smart ppl. But the question remains, why exactly?

Most likely, it was just s***s and giggles. I think this because of the other characters who weren't really bad, take for example Warly. Warly was just living and taking care of his mother, Wickerbottom was just an old cat lady who liked to read, and Woodie was living in the middle of nowhere. None of the formentioned characters had almost no reason to have wrong or messed with him in any way, so why were they taken by this logic? I theorize that, most likely, some of the entities that kept people on the throne forced Maxwell to imprison some people through Faustian-esc bargains and Witherspoon was just on Maxwells hit list before he was forced to take random shmucks that wouldn't generally be noticed if they vanished.

The survivors were brought to the Constant because Maxwell tricked them to get something they wanted, Wendy a way to bring Abigail back to life, Wigfrid having the Valkyrie role once again, Warly a way to make his mother remember and Wilson seeked for the Forbidden Knowledge. Some theories say that Witherstone was on financial issues and Maxwell tricked him.

It can be reasonably assumed that Maxwell took Wilson because of him having one of the remaining units of a PR-76 radio (Did I get the name right?). A few disappearances have occurred due to having, interacting, or having been associated with these radios. Wilson had one of them, Winona worked in a factory for them, Walter turned one on, how Woodie got taken into the Constant probably had something to do with a PR-76 based off of Walter's short.

As for the portal deal:

A: Witherstone could've interacted with a radio off-screen considering he was in the midst of being taken before Wes interrupted him

B: A couple victims have disappeared thanks to messing with a radio/gramophone (The latter is just guesswork based off of Warly's short.)

C: Just for variety or just because it's one way of doing it.

12 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

yes, but why did he do it? we know how he tricked people, but why?

Maxwell was corrupted by the Throne and and most likely made him bring people from Earth to let them die.

Also about the Maxwell's door, my personal heacanon is that it was a portal for Epilogue (or at least the place where the Throne is)

I think its safe to assume that Wilson may of been the first to be pulled in, so he could of just happened to be the first tempted by pure chance. But now that we know about how Wagstaff built the radios specifically trying to reach otherworldly frequencies, and he also built a portal as well. The timeline is really messed up now so its really hard to say anything.

What we do know is that Wilson wasn't doing so hot before Maxwell contacted him, and he was desperate enough to listen to the voice in the radio- We see this with Wigfrid and Wendy as well. but then we have characters like Warly and Walter who just seem to be spirited away.

Id love some more lore presented like the field notes we got in 2012, they speak a lot to Wilson's character without having to say much.

Some things I have noted about what the survivors have in common are, some sort of mental issue as pointed out by freddo films in his walter review, the letter W, and some connection to music, either through a gramophone, or the voxola radio or, in wendy's case, dreams. We cant really tell how much of Maxwells actions on the throne was his or Theirs. But just some similarities between survivors i noted

1 hour ago, Maximum124 said:

I think its safe to assume that Wilson may of been the first to be pulled in, so he could of just happened to be the first tempted by pure chance.

Wilson was actually pulled last as of Don't Starve (after the events of DST, Winona came afterwards and Walter I'm not sure about).

You also have to realize that Maxwell actually pulled so, so many more people than the characters you're able to play as. I mean, why else would the remains of other people (Fallen Survivors, specifically) just be lying around?

Assuming this, I'd like to assume Maxwell was just so desperate to get anyone to take his place on the throne that he pulled in, well, anybody.

Personally I think he pulled Wilson into the Constant in an attempt to trick him into freeing himself from the throne. All those talks in adventure mode about not going further or trying to intimidate Wilson? Maybe just Maxwells attempt at making Wilson determined enough to go through the worlds.

This whole time Max could have just been trying to collect people smart enough, strong enough, or crazy enough to survive and free him. He was probably surprised to find that being freed didn't put him back into the real world.

4 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Personally I think he pulled Wilson into the Constant in an attempt to trick him into freeing himself from the throne. All those talks in adventure mode about not going further or trying to intimidate Wilson? Maybe just Maxwells attempt at making Wilson determined enough to go through the worlds.

This whole time Max could have just been trying to collect people smart enough, strong enough, or crazy enough to survive and free him. He was probably surprised to find that being freed didn't put him back into the real world.

This, so much this. Bring smart and capable people to conquer the constant bribing them with whatever they want so you can go free from your prison. That's the cunningest thing ever. Little did they know that by freeing Maxwell, they would instead be trapped on the throne.

Did Maxwell bring his very own blood, Wendy, to suffer the same fate? That's terrible if true.

6 hours ago, Maximum124 said:

Warly

In his short we only know the reason why he accepted a deal with maxwell

With walter is true that there is some plot hole but maybe is because charlie doesnt need to do deals with people to abduce them like what she did to winona

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In his short we only know the reason why he accepted a deal with maxwell

With walter is true that there is some plot hole but maybe is because charlie doesnt need to do deals with people to abduce them like what she did to winona

The thing about Charlie is something else, she might be "tied" to the throne but she clearly enjoys it, her split personality now reigns her body, good and evil as one. She brings people to the constant not to free her from the throne but to play her little game against Them.

8 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

yes, but why did he do it? we know how he tricked people, but why?

To let THEM have fun. Surviving in Constant for some entities is literaly a kind of hunger games to watch. 

Also keep in mind, some shorts can be a bit more (or less) than metaphor. They may show much less details than happen in story.

Also from Walter short we know Woodie had troubles with curse before arriving to Constant. 

3 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Did Maxwell bring his very own blood, Wendy, to suffer the same fate? That's terrible if true.

i think he did this out of sympathy. it made him sad to see his niece miserable without her sister, so he offered to bring her to the constant so she could be reunited with abigail.

12 hours ago, Starlogy said:

Wilson was actually pulled last as of Don't Starve (after the events of DST, Winona came afterwards and Walter I'm not sure about).

You also have to realize that Maxwell actually pulled so, so many more people than the characters you're able to play as. I mean, why else would the remains of other people (Fallen Survivors, specifically) just be lying around?

Assuming this, I'd like to assume Maxwell was just so desperate to get anyone to take his place on the throne that he pulled in, well, anybody.

Considering the Voxola Factory burned down in 1919, it’s impossible that Winona/Wagstaff came after Wilson. Walter is the last survivor pulled, as his short shows a chip in the moon already.

My theory is that Maxwell just pulled whoever came into possession of the PR-76. This puts Wilson, Woodie, and by extension, Walter behind Winona & Wagstaff.

2 hours ago, GentlemanFridge said:

Considering the Voxola Factory burned down in 1919, it’s impossible that Winona/Wagstaff came after Wilson.

Ah, my mistake, I guess I remembered it wrong. In that case, Wilson is the second to last survivor to be pulled.

i still feel wilson is the last one  and they are all tempted by the radio wilson is the scientest so could help with experimentation and wilson already was dealing with dark magic in science anyway since in the beginning wilson  did blood scarifices and live animals in his experiments.  so that could be reasoning enough for maxwell to tempt him with the forbidden knowledge. it is true though that wilson is the only survivor to have actually dethroned maxwell  eventually leading to them meeting up in the  constant making the jury rigged portal  and then the events of don't starve together happens. with charlie being the mastermind
where as maxwell was only the mastermind in the single player version of don't starve.

Remember that when maxwell and charlie were pulled in maxwell was able to explore all the worlds and ruins that we all seen today.
he knows of the old civilization.  and all the ways people have attempted to escape the constant. leading to hamlet in the sky and shipwrecked by sea.
There are lots of creatures that maxwell created based off of the entities that lived in the book.  and many were just done by the corruption of the nightmare fuel.  I still feel that the metheus puzzle is still relavent because  we still have a king and queen in the constant. the king was sacrificed in the corruption of the nightmares and the queen rules (maxwell and charlie)
right now currently we are having a battle of sides. with the lunar being light and nightmare fuel being dark.  and all the characters are here dealing with both sides.

If i would theorize it would be strange new powers occured with the nightmare fuel corruption. and with these refreshes are being based on the new finding of lunacy.

I really do like some of the lore aspects that are built in.  and the way it was seen was  majority of the characters in game had a reason to enter the world usually through personal gain.   we would probably find out more about the characters reasons as we expand on the character refreshes.

i

I wonder if Maxwell took Wilson and had him build the machine because, somehow, Wilson building the machine built a duplicate machine in the Constant, enabling people to reach Maxwell for the first time. Maybe, before Maxwell had Wilson build the machine, nobody could get to where the throne is--that is to say, Adventure Mode didn't exist. So Maxwell had no hope of being freed until he found someone capable of opening that gateway, via the machine, so he kept looking for someone capable of doing it, and he eventually found Wilson.

Yeah, I know there's another machine in Winona's short, but it looks different. Perhaps whoever built it didn't make it quite right. It did not allow people to go to where Maxwell was to attempt to free him.

This is the machine in Winona's short:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.27857302732ad5e5a3546ad7aa1257de.png

It does not look like the one in Wilson's:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.09e3db973b62e3351b3779d3b0772eac.png

But Wilson's looks exactly like Maxwell's Door, which leads to Adventure Mode and Maxwell on the throne:

Spoiler

image.png.12a5402cb43bb03d94aac9f0beee0304.png

So, I think maybe that's why Maxwell chose Wilson--Wilson was able to build the door that he needed to allow people to reach him and try to free him. And he waited until he activated the machine by throwing the switch, which maybe caused the duplicate to appear in the Constant, before kidnapping him with the shadow hands through the floor like everyone else.

Archived