Why did Maxwell want Wilson?

He is still baffled by the thought that someone he tricked into the Constant could find it in their heart to set him free... well, baffled and annoyed really. He never liked owing a favor.

I don't think Maxwell had planned any of this...

Actually, looking again at the machine in Winona's short, it seems more likely to me that Wagstaff built it, possibly without any prompting from Maxwell or anyone else. It's Wagstaff's style of machinery. Maybe that was a foregone conclusion, but I hadn't really thought about it before. ^o^;>

Anyway, Maxwell might have offered Wagstaff secret knowledge, and even given it to him, but then Wagstaff decided to do his own thing instead, now that he knew about the Constant. So Maxwell had to keep looking for someone who was smart enough and crazy enough and had the means to build his machine, and he eventually found Wilson. Who knows how many other scientists and engineers he went through before he found Wilson?

On 4/2/2021 at 3:41 AM, Blue Moth said:

yes, but why did he do it? we know how he tricked people, but why?

I think he was looking for someone strong enough to free him from the throne. That was probably boring..

On 4/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, ZeeDragon said:

Witherstone could've interacted with a radio off-screen considering he was in the midst of being taken before Wes interrupted him

I think it was actually an ML-77 (gramophone) that he came into contact with (there's a gramophone in his apartment, as seen in Wes' short when he returns the doll to the little girl).

What I find interesting is that it seems that Maxwell has been reaching out to these characters and abducting them through means of Wagstaff's inventions (the PR-76 Voxola and the ML-77 Gramaphone). At least, I'm guessing/assuming that Wagstaff invented the Gramaphone, even though I've never seen it been confirmed.

4 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

I know there's another machine in Winona's short, but it looks different. Perhaps whoever built it didn't make it quite right. It did not allow people to go to where Maxwell was to attempt to free him.

I found that a curious thing, too, how Wilson's build is much closer in appearance than Wagstaff's. And the fact that Maxwell tried to get Witherstone, speculated to be due to a want for revenge/payback, it definitely seems to imply that Maxwell pulled in the different survivors for different reasons.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:04 AM, Blue Moth said:

And why did Wilson need to make a portal while everyone else could just get taken in by shadow hands in the ground?

Wigfrid had to take a deal with Maxie in order to be trapped. Wilson wanted knowledge, so Max had to offer him something special in order to trap him. In Wigfrid's short Max gives her world for her own, in Wilson's trailer Maxie gives him knowledge. It looks like our dapper devil can not/does not want to lie to his victims and has to stick to the terms of the deal.

19 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Wigfrid had to take a deal with Maxie. Wilson wanted knowledge, so Max had to offer him something special in order to trap him. In Wigfrid's short Max gives her world for her own, in Wilson's trailer Maxie gives him knowledge. It looks like our dapper devil can not/does not want to lie to his victims and has to stick to the terms of the deal.

He doesn't lie, instead he throws top-of-the-market gold quality BS at you.

Spoiler

BS of course meaning Berry Sauce

Let me start by saying that I don't think there is currently a sensible reason why Maxwell wanted Wilson. However, I will try to have my say, taking some little narrative freedom.

We must first ask ourselves: Who was Maxwell, once he became god-king of the constant?
Was he truly ruler of that world? Perhaps at first he thought he was. But I think he soon realized that he had become a slave to the same alien creatures he had foolishly summoned.
It is possible that he had a desire to escape, that he needed help.
Who better than Wilson? Scientist with a natural predisposition to investigate the unknown (confirmed by Klei); possibly capable of reassembling Maxwell's machine and saving both of them from Constant's tyranny.
But would Wilson have come to the Constant only out of human pity?
Maxwell didn't believe, and I don't want to believe either.
Wilson wasn't going to risk his life to save Maxwell.
This is why the deception; it was the only way to get him to build a working gate and throw it over the doorless door; in a realm beyond human understanding, the Constant.

image.png.f72a351ade65321d01b52b9d62ddb196.png

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

But I think he soon realized that he had become a slave to the same alien creatures he had foolishly summoned.

In adventure mode whe said that he couldnt change the rules of the game. He was aware of being a puppet

But is possible that he tricked them using wilson to be "free". The truth is that every time we beat a world in adventure mode he is more desesperate and weak but maybe is more Them's fear than maxwell's

I hope klei explain this in some short because right know the portal sounds like a plot hole xD

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I hope klei explain this in some short because right know the portal sounds like a plot hole xD

Not only that: Maxwell had built the machine of the same name just to try to escape (he says this in a hidden dialogue, it seems to me: "Don't you think I've tried that?" followed by "This is the end of the line. We have no escape.")
So it doesn't really make sense that now Klei shows us that he could project himself anywhere when and how he wanted :'D

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

So it doesn't really make sense that now Klei shows us that he could project himself anywhere when and how he wanted :'D

Maybe it wasn't exactly Maxwell who was projecting himself? The Maxwells that we see (the ones not on shackled to the nightmare throne) might just be Them interacting with other characters in Maxwell's physical form. It might make sense; them pulling survivors in (as someone pointed out, Maxwell wasn't planning on being saved), and Maxwell seeming to insist to Wilson NOT to continue on in later chapters of Adventure mode (because They didn't want Wilson to get to Maxwell and free him).

It could be for a variety of reasons. Maybe "they" wanted Maxwell to pull him in. Or perhaps Maxwell wants to drag people in who might be able to help him escape. Since Wilson is a scientist (sort of) maybe Maxwell believes he is capable of helping him find a way out. Maybe some places have a connection to the Constant, making it easier for "them" to pull people in from but some places need people to create a doorway, thus Maxwell's door. IDK, just some headcannons.

Archived