DST Solo and Together Tier List !

Pardon my speling mistakes but im to lazy to check for errors beour poasting so please stick with me xD

Also feel free to share your opinion on both list and argue with me, i love learning more about the game and ill admit if you change my mind and will change the tier list while crediting you !

Solo:

2079288328_my-image(6).thumb.png.4c8e9b72b03a384bdeb9cb2aa13e90d6.png

Together:

635266663_my-image(8).thumb.png.4e58a5c3552c7dbbc84567d31821681f.png

S Tier Solo:

Wickerbottom - Wickerbottom is just the best character no questions ask. Early game she can rush the bee queen to get broken loot from the start has well has having a great ruins rush i her high sanity and science up perk. Mid game she can set-up farms (Splumonkey farms, spiders farms, verg farms, klaus farms, etc) to get abundant resources and fight/cheese bosses with them plus she spawns food from the air ! The nerf to her Horticulture was big and killed a lot of food farms with lure plants but you can still use those set ups to farm twigs, grass and such. Overall she has no down side and amazing cealing, by far best character in the game.

Wulfgang - Wulfgang destroys the game with his massive damage, movespeed, sanity manipulation and hidden healing mechanics, by fair the best character to 1v1 bosses with (all but bee queen, wendy and wickerbottom solo that one easyer)

Wortox - Wortox ignores basic game mechanics due to his souls, health is a non existing problem due to healing and free quiting from souls, is able to manipulate his sanity with his souls and has a sanity modifier that prevents him to go insane in boss fights, due to teleporting on the spot to avoid damage he has a higher dps then all characters but wulfgang, wigfried and wendy with abigail, has the best mobility in the game, butterflyes are all he needs, kill them to get health/food, plant them and pick them to get sanity. Basicly, when played right, he is imortal !

A Tier Solo:

Wendy - Wendy is the closest to S tier. She is the best at farming hords of mobs (even better than wickerbottom and webber for spiders), has great dps toghether with abygail and her aoe allows her to rush Bee queen that has the best drops early game. She can also rush ruins fairly easy with her sanity modifier and abygail´s light. In my opinion she is the discount version of Wickerbottom, can make mob farms faster and efficient but cant do has much has wicker, wicker can do all she does granted a bit slower but much more has well.

WX-78 - WX-78 is the best ruin rusher in the game witch makes you set for the rest of the game with the highest stats of all of the cast and a bunch of ancient equipment. You can craft the telelocator staff in autom to bypass winter freezing and get the move speed and in spring you can recharge again with the moose/goose birdies to get set for the rest of the year. With is movesped his dps increases vs normal combat characters and he becomes the best solo resouce gatherer (better than Maxwell cause you wont need has much resources when playing solo and WX-78 travels faster)

Maxwell - Maxwell is held back by is Shadow Duelists, if they had a decent code to attack and kite correctly he would be the best character in the game (maybe tight with wickerbottom :P ). His main park are is resource gathering abilities, amazing when playing together, not has much necesary when soloing. Hes the second best ruins rusher due to his pick axe shadow and his sanity aura. Inferior version of WX-78 when solo.

Wigfrid - Wigfrid is in every way chape and form a wost Wulfgang. If your playing solo theres no reason to pick her over wulf. However, a worst S-Tier Character is still a great character (check Wendy xD). Contrary to popular belive, Wigfrid has lower overall hunger than Wulfgang due to his Absurd 225 hunger (witch translate to 150 hunger when taking inconsideration the 1.5x) and has soon has wulfgang hits mighty form he gains the exact damage buff has wig does, when fightning bosses her damage reduction (that translates to a 250 health) gets overshadowed by Wulf´s 300 Health. Her songs dont help much since Wulfgang saves health and Durability by finishing fights faster. Her one and only upside when playing solo vs wulf is her sanity steal, when wulfgang players might go insane on certain bosses, she will keep her sanity and focused on her main target. This is countered by her inability to stay insane for farming nightmare fuel and a couple minutes of preparation with sanity food gets reed of this advantage. Taunt song is useless in solo, fire resist song is useles everywhere and the scare song dosent help enogh (you cant rely only on the song to fight bee queen without her little bees, you still need to run away or use wall methods) TLDR Pick Wulfgang Instead

Wurt - Wurt is the character that i least now about so take this positioning whith a grain of salt. Her being a vegan dosent realy hinder much due to the 33% buff on vegetable foods and her king upgrades are great. She can use the royal guards to fight bosses and thats what made me put her in A-tier. Dunno how costly she his or how big of a power house she can be but feel free to leave your toughts bellow :D

Woodie - Woddie is an inferior version of Maxwell that gets saved by one perk, his weregoose form ! With the weregoose hes the only character that can rush the lunar island. He can use lucy and werebeever to farm resources (Slower than maxwell but a tad bit faster than WX), he can put up a decent fight whith his Weremose form to farm regular mobs and has great speed with weregoose. Hes a conditional WX-78 thogether with a conditional Maxwell that gets saved by his Lunar Rushing skills, combining that with an overal good character and you have an easy A - Tier.

B-Tier Solo:

Webber - Webber main porpuse is to mass farm spiders, witch wendy and wicker can also do (Wendy even does it better). Recruting spiders is wicker than being able to recuit bunnyman and pig man so if you want to mass spider farm pick Wendy. If you want to mass spider farm at a lower / riskier speed but have tons and tons more stuff to do pick Wicker.

Winona - Winona has 1 and only 1 good perk, her catapults. She can set up decent farms and solo bosses with them. Unfortunly other characters (see obove) also do that and better. Maybe she would be higher if her builds were cheeper.

Walter - Walter is the one im not certain about. I even considered puting him on E tier at one point but realizing his ability to sling cheese most of the problems (bosses) that were making me puting him on e tier made me change my mind. However is inabitlity to manipulate sanity and not being able to fuly rely on sling shot make him B-tier.

C-Tier Solo:

Willow - Willow is meh. Her ligter his cool i gues but the main thing that atracts me to her is her ability to farm Night creatures with bernie. Having a server full of Willow,s mass farming nightmare fuel uring the nightmare phsae with a bunch of bernies is cool, 1 bernie aloane gets easly overun making her a wilson with a lighter instead of a beard.

Wilson - Wilson hes just wilson, no drawbacks and a beard.

D-Tier Solo:

Wormhood - Wormhood acessebility to farm its pointless unless massfarming, hes inability to reliably heal makes him unreliable to solo bosses with and his move speed is nice but cant be fully apreciated due to the hunger decrease and not being a reliable fighter for the increase dps.

Warly - Warly only upside are is buffed diches, however you take a couple of days to get does set up and his food restrictions are anoying. I rather pick Wilson.

E-Tier Solo:

Wes - Wes is just Wes, if your nit chalenging yourself dont pick him.

S-Tier Together:

Wickerbottom - Everything that made ger a solo S tier gets even better when playing together ! You can mass farm resources and food for everyon, get everyone a head start with you science up and set up farms to make everyone selfsufficient by yourself !

Wormhood - Wormhood becomes a broken when playing together cause his weaknes are all covered up with other characters. He can mass far crops and living logs without a care in the world for fighting

Wortox - Wortox remains imortal exept he dosent need to eat food so he cant give it most/all his food to his teamates and can heal the, has well making them closer to imortality

Warly - Similar to Wormhood, Waly gets acess to his buffed dishes way faster with teamates and gets is downsides covered with help from others making him focus on coocking, planting (together with wormhood) and being a suportive character for the team

A-Tier

Maxwell - Maxwell truly shines when playing with teamates has is early game mass resource gathering is the best in the game. He can also rush the ruins if needed.

Wendy - Wendy remains he budget Wickerbottom status being able to mass farm food and rush bee queen.

Wurt - Has i said befour im not familiar with Wurt but i assume her being able to grant acess to the merm king for all players is great and loyal mers are still great to help fight with.

Wigfrid - Wigfrid is actualy better than Wulfgang when playing together, not only can she give helmets to avoid destroying pig houses but her songs buff alies. A single buff to her wasent enogh to rival wulf but a whole squad of buffed characters outshine him easy. Also her Taunt Song gains usability to make her be the focus thoese tanking for her friends.

Woodie - Woodie is great for the same reasons has solo, decent resource gatherer, decent mob farmer, can rush lunar islands

B-Tier Together:

Webber - Webber can actualy raise to an A-tier depending on how much players you need to feed early on. Wendy can farm spiders better but takes more time to set up the eggs, webber is less efficeinet at farming them but sets and upgrades farms faster. In desperate need of mass amounts of food early on ? Pick Webber over Wendy. If not Wendy is the better choice.

Winona - Winona dosent change much, her catapults can be overshadowd by more players and farms in general are best left for other characters. Can speed boss fights a lot tho.

Willow - Willow actualy gains points when playing together cause a couple willows can set up a fairly decenet and early nightmare fuel farm in the ruins. Her Lighters are also a nice thing to have and she can gift them to her team mates making her climb a tier. 

Walter - Walter can freely dps with slingshot without messing up someones kiting making him a decent support when fighting. Dosent offer much tho besides increased dps and bag space. Hes basicly a chester that shots stuf at the enemy and since i like chester he remains in b tier.

Wulfgang - Wulfgang suffers a massive drop on together due to his damage not being needed anymore. A whole squad or even a couple of teamates can destry bosses easly and the couple of seconds wulf saves by killing him faster dosent compensate the extra food needed to feed him. You can send him of to fight aloane while you do other stuff but its more efficeint to fight bosses has a team to make it easier and less resource intensive.

WX-78 - WX-78 has 0 to no porpuse on a team. He runs fast so you can use him as a gatherer but other than that hes just a trash  bin for rotten food that eats all your gears. One could argue that Wilson is a better teamate due to meat effegies and a couple of characters exclusive items requiring beard hair but i digress.

C- Tier Together:

Wilson - Wilson can create early meet effegies to make everyone saffer and.... thats all.

E- Tier Together:

Wes - Pick him if your trying to get the World Record Ban on dst public servers.

And thats all folks, tell me in the coments what do you think of my reasonings, and feel free to argue with meand tell me im dead rong, i wanna learn more about the game !

Wulf and WX not being top tier in Together is certainly brave lol. Maxwell as the second best ruins rusher, that's another spicy statement there.

Wulf's damage modifier when fully mighty is 2x, compared to Wigfrid's 1.25x. It's not the same damage buff. Wig's effective 250 health seems less than Wolfgang, but in practice she's usually quite a bit tankier because of her health regen. Battle songs don't shine as well solo but still are very strong and greatly lessen the need for healing / sanity items.

Might have more to say in the morning but I'm curious what others have to say, will keep my eye on this.

Clarification: Does the solo tier list factor in Celestial portal changing?

My two opinions on the topic are that:

- Maxwell in solo is rated rather high imo; as you mentioned mass gathering logs and stone isn't as necessary when you're solo. But the biggest problem with him is paper towel health. Having 75 health really will impact one's solo playthrough as it's simply easier and faster to die. (Running ruins will always be tough knowing that a depths worm can instakill you without armor, for instance.)

- Wormwood's ability to mass farm in both solo and multi is slept on; while bloomed he can insta tend to lots of crops at the same time very quickly negating your - and your mates - hunger problems. Plus you get his speed year-round now. And sanity is quite easy to gain with an abundance of seeds.

- Wendy in A and not S tier is kinda strange provided she is the safest, easiest character to survive in solo, with an average DPS higher than Wigfrid (and even higher with beefalo), and Abigail can now no-sell threats like never before and give you tons of food nigh-passively, allowing you to focus less on combat and more on base building and helping other players in multi.

Anyroad, as someone who would rather classify the characters according to how they eat noodles, I'd say that this is a decent tier list all in all :))

I feel like Wigfrid on the solo one got slandered very hard. Yes wolfgang is better than wigfrid in terms of damage, but Wigfrid also shines in other ways. She's great for players who basically hates sanity, has good armor and mediocre weapon for everyday slaying, good at farming spiders and good at fighting. Her battle songs are also powerful, people are just sleeping on it. Heartrending ballad is good, even in solo since it doesnt recquire you to gather ingridients for pierogies, Weaponizing warble is good when you want to save on resources, Clear minded cadenza and Bel canto of courage are good against bosses with high sanity auras like deerclops and fuelweaver, fireproof falsetto, Rude interlude, and startling soliloquy is good against klaus' deers if timed correctly. She's great in her own way and telling people to play wolfgang instead of wigfrid in solo is just wrong. Let people play who they want to play. In conclusion, I do not really care about your tierlist because everyone has different opinions but the negativity towards wigfrid on the solo one is so high it punched me right to the gut.

Spoiler

I know it doesnt make sense but please bear with it, I'm not that good at english :)

I wont argue with what has been said so far, but I think that it is good to remember and to point out that your approach works when player/ players are quite good with DST and know most (all) of the mechanics and know how to apply them . If not - new player / semi-advanced players, who need to learn, need more time to access ruins but can do it, players who knows how to survive but maybe not in a max-efficiency level (like me) would argue that list should be different for lower player ranks : best characters would be wendy (your arguments are applicable too plus she's great in farming monkeys for nightfuel), wigfrid (self heal + access to battle helm without pig skins), wortox (again- as you said heal of demand plus teleportation). Walter is nice for amateurs as well especially in co-op cause you can participate in fights from a distance without dodging and you provide tons of resources to start your base. This kind of problems are forgotten by advanced players but if you just start your journey in dst then there are safer picks than you provided :-)

Solo Wig could almost be S Tier - very hard to die as her if you are careful and know what you are doing. Bosses may not die quite as fast as they would with Wolfgang but your innate defense, custom weapons and sanity/life leech go a long long way at constantly replenishing stats and always keeping the edge in combat. If you are using portal to switch characters from time to time for character specific crafts Wig is easily S tier as Volt Jelly or Spicy Foods can make her almost as powerful as Wolfgang but with all her other bonuses and strong defense as well.

Also the whole Wigfrid is 100% just an inferior Wolfgang argument is really old and at this point overused and silly. There are PLENTY of reasons to play her instead both mechanically or just as purely as a preference. I personally can't stand Wolfgang, hes stronger than he should be, boring as hell aesthetically and lore wise (scared of everything but not actually? dominates the constant but is meant to be a wimp? what?), has no unique crafts, structures or anything else and is literally just the boring overpowered combat character. He's just boring as hell and OP.  God I hope his eventual rework somehow helps finally kill this sentiment of her literally just being an inferior Wolfgang in every way (Her rework should have done this but instead we got the songs most of which are useless) but to be completely honest unless he somehow receives new downsides and no buffs this isn't going to happen. If anything this is only going to get worse as hes going to get some new minor role or ability that helps outside of combat...

I would go as far to argue the opposite, unless you want to play a boring character that is stupidly strong and makes bosses a joke and ruins the balance of combat, always pick Wigfrid over Wolfgang - she isn't as demanding food wise, is safer and easier to play, has better defense and has unique craftables with awesome skins. She's more fun, has a great quirky personality (the whole living her role thing as well as awesome quotes and voice) and feels far more unique.

Honestly tier lists don't really make sense in this game where everyone has their own play style and preferences anyway and is only ever gong to create disagreement between those with different mains (especially people who main characters who are listed as "do not play - literally an inferior version of other character in every way") .

Hope, that was 1 April joke, overwise it's really really strange chose.

Tier SS team in party game is main and only farmers. For what reason you need so much food, if there is no characters to eat it? And also DPS is totally absent. I stopped to read at the middle. so. maybe lost some ides. But why main point is food processing? Sure, Don't Starve but there is no any problem with food if you know where to start and what to do - stone fruits, laminaria, ice, spiders.

Also, very underrated Winona. With her catapults several bosses and hound attacks are not the issue anymore. Spider farms works greatly with them. 

Wurt supposed to stay on the Wes row, for me, because in party game only pros is showing where tentacles located to easier and quicker killing. Other abilities is absent for teammates. 

10 minutes ago, Black_Widow said:

Wurt supposed to stay on the Wes row, for me, because in party game only pros is showing where tentacles located to easier and quicker killing. Other abilities is absent for teammates. 

You're saying that until you have a Wurt teammate who creates a merm army of 40 ;D She's farming all the logs and stone for me, defeats bee queen in about 2 minutes, and the list goes on. We're about to do a ruins clear with the merms as well, we'll see how smoothly that goes :D:D

8 hours ago, Double F said:

Wormhood - Wormhood acessebility to farm its pointless unless massfarming, hes inability to reliably heal makes him unreliable to solo bosses with and his move speed is nice but cant be fully apreciated due to the hunger decrease and not being a reliable fighter for the increase dps.

I solo bosses as Wormwood all the time. The movement speed buff is a huge thing with most bosses, and he has compost wraps for good early game healing. Yes, the animation for that is slow, but most bosses you want to fight at that stage give you a chance to heal every now and then. Once you have access to jelly beans, this becomes even less of a problem.

Granted, you want to take as little damage as possible so that you don't have to heal too often, but as we're talking about soloing bosses, you're probably good enough to do that.

1 minute ago, Roodmas said:

You're saying that until you have a Wurt teammate who creates a merm army of 40 ;D She's farming all the logs and stone for me, defeats bee queen in about 2 minutes, and the list goes on. We're about to do a ruins clear with the merms as well, we'll see how smoothly that goes :D:D

How long it takes to built that army and how much resources needed? That's one way to be creative in long-played game. I still prefer to do it more classically, with higher speed and less input. So, my choose are more common characters. 

I'm that Wurt player. :D

As far as I remember, it took two years to create the 40 merm guard army on the surface, but even in first year we had about 20 which defeated bee queen single handedly and chop a forest of 200 trees in an afternoon. When the 40 merm guards were completed, make that 400 trees, and I no longer have casualties to tree guards, and I pretty much cleared a rocky biome and two petrified tree forests in one go, also killing 4 spider queens on the side while mining.

Once I had the guards on the surface, it took me half a year of making them wage war constantly (their respawn time is 4 minutes) and give tons of fish to merm king to accumulate the spots to get 40 merm guards underground.

Each time we recruit them for a short time, we give them seeds, each time we want to recruit them for days, we give them a stack of dragonpie. A dragonpie recruits a guard for 3 days. We made a farm efficient enough to have enough dragonpies that we can pretty much feed the guards whenever we want.

We are experimenting with other bosses too. We made a mistake with Klaus by having the idea of killing deers first, because we assumed the AoE would be worse than enraged Klaus. We ended up losing that fight because we figured out too late that we also need to help the merm guards to win against enraged Klaus, but it seemed very possible to win against enraged Klaus with that army if we draw some aggro. We didn't calculate the damage resistance enraged Klaus has. Next time we will try not killing deers with them. We are about to try Dragonfly with sleep darts instead of pan flutes, so we make the Dragonfly sleep without also making the merms sleep (not even necessary, just making things faster). They also failed against Shadow Pieces at first, but that's because we left the bishop last, and it's aoe proved devestating. Next time we leave the knight last, and I'm sure the merms win that way.

I actually don't think it's far fetched to recruit merm guards on a new moon, and defeat shadow pieces, bee queen, and dragonfly with the same set of merms.

I took Wurt to the extreme for sure, but it's pretty fun. :D In the ruins it will definitely be a challenge, because it's actually extremely hard to fight nightmare creatures while you have 40 followers. I pretty much can't gather nightmare fuel with merms on my butt. Ancient Guardian was brutalized easily before for sure. And we also plan trying them out on Toadstool, but we don't expect the merms to win that solo for us. That's probably the only boss the merms can't kill for us without us interfering, although we are yet to confirm Shadow Pieces, Klaus, and Dragonfly.

Also we couldn't build merm guards to shadow atrium, because we couldn't put a marsh turf there. We could have tried telelocating them there, but decided it's too expensive, so we haven't and will not try this against fuelweaver.

edit: spelling mistakes

Eh I love Woodie but putting him at the same level of Wurt or Wendy, specially for solo, it’s way too off. If anything Woodie is A for solo. In multiplayer Woodie is A tier during the early and mid game then he falls down to a steady B tier throughout the rest of the game. Wurt is S tier for solo and C tier during the early multiplayer game then she slowly grows to be at least A tier.

Wendy is S+ tier, and I’m not a Wendy fan, I actually don’t like playing Wendy. But I’ve been trying her and yes it’s stupidly broken, using her right gives you even more versatility and power than any Wolfgang.

Also I think since the beefalo bell is a thing the balance of the game has shifted quite a lot, and should be taken into consideration. The synergy beefalo-character (or in some cases, lack of) can turn the utility of many perks, mostly the speed ones.

WX should be much lower in any list, I don’t know why most people keeps overrating it. It’s just a Wilson that Wastes gears and can obtain short lasted and expensive speed boosts in solo gameplay. And in multiplayer it’s a Wilson that can hurt the game stealing the gears, and requires a Wicker slave to get a few perks that adds nothing to the group (and now that beefalos are an important thing, high speeds are achievable by anyone much earlier in the game). Just getting extra heals during a ruins rush is not really qualifying to be “amazing” for me, it probably was good in DS, specially in adventure mode, but now as it stands I always hope they DONT pick him in multiplayer games.

WX is more of a nuisance character rather than an advantage in most cases, the player using it has to really understand the team needs to be useful as WX. Most Wes players fare a lot better in this aspect.

90% of the WX’s I see in multiplayer games hoard gears that would be useful during the early game, or ruins rush for absolutely no reason and disconnects as soon as they made a huge mess down there, wasting a ton of thulecite on non-discount crowns that they won’t even use, because they will leave the game with them. And if overcharged they will most likely run in circles doing nothing for a while until they will eventually die out of being careless because of the speed.

1 hour ago, Black_Widow said:

How long it takes to built that army and how much resources needed? That's one way to be creative in long-played game. I still prefer to do it more classically, with higher speed and less input. So, my choose are more common characters. 

Depends on the effort you put in really i got 15 merm guards by the first winter which is enough to most things. It's weird that Wurt is always undersold due to requiring time to setup as she would be too powerful if she got everything from the start.

I don't massively disagree on anything, except Warly being so low in solo, and I'd probably put WX and Max lower.

It's so hard to rank some of these tho, I feel like there are so many variables. Even multiplayer, it depends a lot if it's a 3 player game or a 6 player game, how good are said teammates etc(for Ex I'd still rank Wolfgang decently high in a 3 player game, but he becomes completely useless in a 6 player game). Players experience level also changes the list a lot, how try hard-ish/"meta" are we talking?

The list also greatly depends on what you personally value, like would this list be what character can kill all bosses fastest?, or build the best base quickest?, what counts as cheese and what's crossing the "fairness" lines to you and so on. IMO when making a tierlist you should discount all cheese methods and assume all things are done as intended, but even then, there will be a lot of disagreement on what is and is not intended mechanic.

Anyways I'm derailing, short version would be don't take those lists too seriously, as almost no 2 lists are the same.

3 hours ago, Black_Widow said:

It starts out slow, but once you have a small team of regular merms, you can start civil wars and gather a lot of fish. You give those to the king, and he gives you the spots you need to make the warriors. You definitely need to build up to it, but the payoff is sweet, and you get it by your midgame.

That being said, I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea to do this kind of thing. Tbh not mine either. I just reap the rewards of what my teammate does :D

EDIT: aaaand I just saw that he replied too XD my bad.

13 hours ago, Double F said:

C-Tier Solo:

1 bernie aloane gets easly overun making her a wilson with a lighter instead of a beard.

You can make more than 1 bernie ...

Make a hambat and a football helmet, go insane near a circle of beardlord, place your Bernie, and autoattack, you should be able to kill all of them before bernie runs out. You can also befriend beardlords at night at night with carrots, wait until they fall asleep at day, and then murder them in their sleep. 

43 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

This is kind of a weird game to make tier lists for because there aren't many required goals and there's lots of different play styles. So just try to be clear with what factors you are judging the characters on.

Ability to get food, get other resources like wood, move faster, and deal damage are generally the highest considerations. Stat totals matter too.

9 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Solo Wig could almost be S Tier - very hard to die as her if you are careful and know what you are doing. Bosses may not die quite as fast as they would with Wolfgang but your innate defense, custom weapons and sanity/life leech go a long long way at constantly replenishing stats and always keeping the edge in combat. If you are using portal to switch characters from time to time for character specific crafts Wig is easily S tier as Volt Jelly or Spicy Foods can make her almost as powerful as Wolfgang but with all her other bonuses and strong defense as well.

Also the whole Wigfrid is 100% just an inferior Wolfgang argument is really old and at this point overused and silly. There are PLENTY of reasons to play her instead both mechanically or just as purely as a preference. I personally can't stand Wolfgang, hes stronger than he should be, boring as hell aesthetically and lore wise (scared of everything but not actually? dominates the constant but is meant to be a wimp? what?), has no unique crafts, structures or anything else and is literally just the boring overpowered combat character. He's just boring as hell and OP.  God I hope his eventual rework somehow helps finally kill this sentiment of her literally just being an inferior Wolfgang in every way (Her rework should have done this but instead we got the songs most of which are useless) but to be completely honest unless he somehow receives new downsides and no buffs this isn't going to happen. If anything this is only going to get worse as hes going to get some new minor role or ability that helps outside of combat...

I would go as far to argue the opposite, unless you want to play a boring character that is stupidly strong and makes bosses a joke and ruins the balance of combat, always pick Wigfrid over Wolfgang - she isn't as demanding food wise, is safer and easier to play, has better defense and has unique craftables with awesome skins. She's more fun, has a great quirky personality (the whole living her role thing as well as awesome quotes and voice) and feels far more unique.

Honestly tier lists don't really make sense in this game where everyone has their own play style and preferences anyway and is only ever gong to create disagreement between those with different mains (especially people who main characters who are listed as "do not play - literally an inferior version of other character in every way") .

I completely disagree with this statement. To start, tier list do make sence since some stratagies are better than other and some characters are better than others period. You shouldnt follow a tier list if you dont want to or if you prefer to play another character but preference has nothing to do with whos best or not. Secondly Wigfrid is just straight up worst than Wulfgang in almoast everyway, Health wise she has 250 health (200 + 25% dr) vs wulfs 300 health. Even with the healing song she still takes more damage than him cause Wulf ends up saving health due to finishing fights faster. Also wulf has a hidden healing mechanic when transforming from base to mighty. Hunger wise Wulfgang wins by far, if we take both characters at full hunger Wigfrid survives 1.6 days while wulf survives 2.66, not only can wulf eat everything but he outshines her even in hunger and were talking about full hunger, if you mange wulfs base form correctly he survives even longer. One advantage Wigfrid has over Wulf is her sanity drain and songs vs bosses, problem is wulf finish fights faster and even with is 1.1 sanity debuf he can still finish a fight befour going insane, even if not a couple of green mushrooms or cactus resolve this problem. Sanity is also a double edge sword on Wigfrid since she cant farm nightmare fuel has easly has wulf can so we can even takes this advantage off. Her songa dont help much neither when compared to wulf, Weaponized Warble - wulfgang also saves durability on weapons cause he finish faster, Heartrending Ballad wulf also saves health cause you gues it, he finish fights faster, Clear Minded Cadenza and Bel Canto of Courage these are easly accounted for with green mushrroms/cactus or finishing faster, Fireproof Falsetto Useless even vs claus or dragonfly (if it were imunity to fire it would be a whole other story but sadly it isent), Rude Interlude useless on solo and finaly Startling Soliloquy is in theory great, leting you avoid deer spells when fighting klaus or little bees vs bee queen, problem is vs klaus it takes 0 to no effort to dodge these attacks and still get much higher dps has wulf and vs bee queen the animation of the song is so slow you have to run from her to sing and when you finaly get back to damaging her they will quickly reagro making it pointless.

TL:DR I stand by my point, yes you can prefer to play has wig, yes she is much cooler lore and visual wise that wulf but gameplay wise THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REASON TO PICK HER INSTEAD OF WULFGANG when playing solo.

I wish wigfrid had something i realy did ! in fact that was the topic that made me do the tier list in the first place, researching about those 2 to find something to bring wigfrid from his shadow and thats why i made the togheter tier list, when playing has a team she finaly outshines him !

9 hours ago, Black_Widow said:

Hope, that was 1 April joke, overwise it's really really strange chose.

Tier SS team in party game is main and only farmers. For what reason you need so much food, if there is no characters to eat it? And also DPS is totally absent. I stopped to read at the middle. so. maybe lost some ides. But why main point is food processing? Sure, Don't Starve but there is no any problem with food if you know where to start and what to do - stone fruits, laminaria, ice, spiders.

Also, very underrated Winona. With her catapults several bosses and hound attacks are not the issue anymore. Spider farms works greatly with them. 

When playing has a team bosses are a joke, you dont need combat characters at all. What you do need is massive resource farming so you dont run out of supplies, also wormhood, warly and wicker are not s tier just cause of their farming/coocking potential potential, they are S tier cause they can provide free living logs (one of the hardest items to mass farm), provide buffs for the whole team and create automatic mob farms has well has rushing bosses, respectively

9 hours ago, Roodmas said:

I solo bosses as Wormwood all the time. The movement speed buff is a huge thing with most bosses, and he has compost wraps for good early game healing. Yes, the animation for that is slow, but most bosses you want to fight at that stage give you a chance to heal every now and then. Once you have access to jelly beans, this becomes even less of a problem.

Granted, you want to take as little damage as possible so that you don't have to heal too often, but as we're talking about soloing bosses, you're probably good enough to do that.

Yeah i dont know and never saw much of wurt but in theory she seems busted xD

About wormhood, the only thing he has going for him when playing solo is the move speed, you wont be needing much living logs when solo, everyone has easy accees to farming and mass farming isent needed when soloing and you can just play WX-78 for the move speed or well, Wulfgang (id say wulf even benefits more of farms since roasted potatos are busted with him)

I might bump him out of E tier due to the movespeed aloane but not sure...

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Eh I love Woodie but putting him at the same level of Wurt or Wendy, specially for solo, it’s way too off. If anything Woodie is A for solo. In multiplayer Woodie is A tier during the early and mid game then he falls down to a steady B tier throughout the rest of the game. Wurt is S tier for solo and C tier during the early multiplayer game then she slowly grows to be at least A tier.

Wendy is S+ tier, and I’m not a Wendy fan, I actually don’t like playing Wendy. But I’ve been trying her and yes it’s stupidly broken, using her right gives you even more versatility and power than any Wolfgang.

Also I think since the beefalo bell is a thing the balance of the game has shifted quite a lot, and should be taken into consideration. The synergy beefalo-character (or in some cases, lack of) can turn the utility of many perks, mostly the speed ones.

WX should be much lower in any list, I don’t know why most people keeps overrating it. It’s just a Wilson that Wastes gears and can obtain short lasted and expensive speed boosts in solo gameplay. And in multiplayer it’s a Wilson that can hurt the game stealing the gears, and requires a Wicker slave to get a few perks that adds nothing to the group (and now that beefalos are an important thing, high speeds are achievable by anyone much earlier in the game). Just getting extra heals during a ruins rush is not really qualifying to be “amazing” for me, it probably was good in DS, specially in adventure mode, but now as it stands I always hope they DONT pick him in multiplayer games.

WX is more of a nuisance character rather than an advantage in most cases, the player using it has to really understand the team needs to be useful as WX. Most Wes players fare a lot better in this aspect.

90% of the WX’s I see in multiplayer games hoard gears that would be useful during the early game, or ruins rush for absolutely no reason and disconnects as soon as they made a huge mess down there, wasting a ton of thulecite on non-discount crowns that they won’t even use, because they will leave the game with them. And if overcharged they will most likely run in circles doing nothing for a while until they will eventually die out of being careless because of the speed.

What is this beefalo stratagie your talking about with Wendy? 0.o

Havent tryed nothing from the beefalo year event xD

Also i totaly agrre with the WX part but hes good in solo due to being able to get a year round speed boost, free light and ignoring freeze.

On a together server, he is the gatherer, being the fastest character makes him the choir boy of the group, need to farm grass ? send wx, need to get rocks ? send wx, so on and so foward. If he fully clears the ruins (witch he does easly) you will be able to bring thelucite crowns for everyone on the server, tons of gold and even have a bunch of gears left after fully upgrating. The 90% of WX playrs you encountered are bad players, dosent mean the character is bad.

Falls of preaty had late game tho

6 hours ago, BeeClops said:

I don't massively disagree on anything, except Warly being so low in solo, and I'd probably put WX and Max lower.

It's so hard to rank some of these tho, I feel like there are so many variables. Even multiplayer, it depends a lot if it's a 3 player game or a 6 player game, how good are said teammates etc(for Ex I'd still rank Wolfgang decently high in a 3 player game, but he becomes completely useless in a 6 player game). Players experience level also changes the list a lot, how try hard-ish/"meta" are we talking?

The list also greatly depends on what you personally value, like would this list be what character can kill all bosses fastest?, or build the best base quickest?, what counts as cheese and what's crossing the "fairness" lines to you and so on. IMO when making a tierlist you should discount all cheese methods and assume all things are done as intended, but even then, there will be a lot of disagreement on what is and is not intended mechanic.

Anyways I'm derailing, short version would be don't take those lists too seriously, as almost no 2 lists are the same.

Personaly i love optimizing this game to the fulest, playing meta, using the best characters, etc makes me learn so much about the game. I do agree its hard to rank some of these due to variables but when were talking about a tier list im assuming everyone playing is playing like i play, to be efficient, to be optmazed, to be th best player you can, otherwise following a tier list makes no sence, just have fun playing what you want.

When i say cheese im not talking about using bugs or exploits, im talking about how easy it can become. For exaple i dont think bocking Ancient Guardian betwen a pillar or 2 graveyards is and exploit, at times it takes me multiple atempts to find the perfect spot and to make him stuck, preparing a source of light and making sure i wont go insane is also part of the task, doing all taht rewards me with the best stratagie to kill him + i find the "normal" way of fighting him boring.

Now lets use another example, blocking fuelwiver with lureplants or in the gates no telepof out so you can attack him freely, it makes certain characters that would have a hard time (coff coff walter) vs fuelwiver beating him like nothing. Characters that cant fight the Bee queen has easly has wicker and wendy can use the fire farm method to overcome that disability, in my opinion this stratagies are using the tools the game gives you to their maximum potential.

Altough fighting these bosses has intended is much more fun and selfrewarding than exploiting and everyone should try it once but sadly fun dosent always equal best stratagie.

I will always choose the most efficeint way to adress a problem, if fighting a boss the intended way was more efficeint than using resources to make a fire farm i would fight him the intended way and have a blast while doing it !

4 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

You can make more than 1 bernie ...

Make a hambat and a football helmet, go insane near a circle of beardlord, place your Bernie, and autoattack, you should be able to kill all of them before bernie runs out. You can also befriend beardlords at night at night with carrots, wait until they fall asleep at day, and then murder them in their sleep. 

I meant BERNIE! gets over run and you cant have more thant 1 BERNIE! per willow but i didnt consider having little bernies agro the shadows so willow can kill them, Nice comment !

This might bump willow on the solo tier, thanks ! :D

Archived