DST Solo and Together Tier List !

wickerbottom in solo play only has 2 upsides that can't be replicated by other characters, her extra science tier and farming lots of feathers in one sitting

also casually puts wormwood at D even though he's one of the strongest characters in the game ok

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

wickerbottom in solo play only has 2 upsides that can't be replicated by other characters, her extra science tier and farming lots of feathers in one sitting

also casually puts wormwood at D even though he's one of the strongest characters in the game ok

Hi Guille ! im that guy that was arguing Wendy position on the coments of that youtube video xD Im still waiting on your tier list video you menssioned on said comments !

Being able to replicate the things she does isent that realy big of a deal, wicker power comes from the ceeling she has, early, mid and late game, it seems like you can do everything with her and even if some other characters could replicate what she does, she probably does it with lett resources, faster, or ealier in the game.

Why do you think Wormwood is one of the strongest characters in the game ? Do you think is one of strongest even when your solo ?

On 4/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, Double F said:

Hi Guille ! im that guy that was arguing Wendy position on the coments of that youtube video xD Im still waiting on your tier list video you menssioned on said comments !

Being able to replicate the things she does isent that realy big of a deal, wicker power comes from the ceeling she has, early, mid and late game, it seems like you can do everything with her and even if some other characters could replicate what she does, she probably does it with lett resources, faster, or ealier in the game.

Why do you think Wormwood is one of the strongest characters in the game ? Do you think is one of strongest even when your solo ?

almost all of wicker's commonly cited upsides can be done better by other characters
bee queen oven > tentacle trap
splumonkey fire farm > splumonkey tentacle trap
meaty stew with a pig fire farm > wicker's food upsides
krampus farming is not a real upside because the krampus sack is unnecessary solo, it's merely a luxury since bundling wraps exist

that makes her only unique advantages the science tier, getting tons of feathers for decoration in one sitting, and maybe growing tons of twigs and grass in one sitting as well (unnecessary for general use because lureplant farming can be done by every character, just harvest it every once in a while)

wormwood was arguably one of the strongest characters in the game prior to year of the beefalo because of being able to keep a 20% speed boost at all times which effectively means progressing through the game 20% faster, in addition to getting guaranteed living logs during a ruins rush which meant even more speed by getting the thulecite club (club + bloom + magi = 58% speed boost in the first few days), and his downside is almost negligible if you play the game well so overall he was a powerhouse in solo play. No longer the case since the beefalo bell was added though because that bridged the gap between characters with speed modifiers and those without it, but still a very good choice

49 minutes ago, Double F said:

What is this beefalo stratagie your talking about with Wendy? 0.o

Havent tryed nothing from the beefalo year event xD

1. The beefalo bell allows taking your beefalo with you when you leave the server (making the taming process a bit easier) and also allows you to use the beefalo in the caves. All of this grants the possibility to use your beefalo anywhere on the world. This is good for any character, but specially better for Wendy because of point 2
  2. Wendy specifically has a bug that, when riding a beefalo, the beefalo damage is considered her own damage, which means that the +35% petal bonus damage of abigail (which is meant to compensate her -25% con) and add 10%, becomes a flat +35% TO THE BEEFALO DAMAGE. That means that an ornery beefalo with a normal or glossamer saddle will deal dark sword damage with Wendy and Abigail, and with War saddle will deal consistently around 90 damage. This is without taking into account that Abigail also deals damage on her own...

What does this mean? that if you invest early on on a beefalo as Wendy you have: 

• A strong consistent AOE through Abigail which allows you to obliterate smaller mobs such as spiders, hounds, shadow splumonkeys, etc.
  • With all the meat drops of spiders, you can always recruit pigs for chopping trees or getting helmets (effortless)
  • A powerful regenerative meatshield through Abigail (which you can further enhance with potions). With the right positioning you can make her take the damage, saving you armor or healing food.
  • All bee queen drops cheaply (check out guides of solo Wendy vs BQ, or the boat strategy with Abigail)
  • A permanent unbreakable dark sword damage, or with war saddle, an attack much higher than Wigfrid's with a dark sword
  • The permanent speed boost of the Beefalo
  • The permanent regenerative HP of the beefalo.

Wendy + Ornery beefalo is right now beyond S tier, and Wolfgang is only better than her when it comes to killing bosses quickly. For everything else Wendy is just superior given than most characters don't benefit from such a high damage synergy+AOE+A floating orb that takes punches for you.

10 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

almost all of wicker's commonly cited upsides can be done better by other characters
bee queen oven > tentacle trap
splumonkey fire farm > splumonkey tentacle trap
meaty stew with a pig fire farm > wicker's food upsides
krampus farming is not a real upside because the krampus sack is unnecessary solo, it's merely a luxury since bundling wraps exist

that makes her only unique advantages the science tier, getting tons of feathers for decoration in one sitting, and maybe growing tons of twigs and grass in one sitting as well (unnecessary for general use because lureplant farming can be done by every character, just harvest it every once in a while)

wormwood was arguably the strongest character in the game prior to year of the beefalo because of being able to keep a 20% speed boost at all times which effectively means progressing through the game 20% faster, in addition to getting guaranteed living logs during a ruins rush which meant even more speed by getting the thulecite club (club + bloom + magi = 58% speed boost in the first few days), and his downside is almost negligible if you play the game well so overall he was a powerhouse in solo play. No longer the case since the beefalo bell was added though because that bridged the gap between characters with speed modifiers and those without it, but still a very good choice

Fire Farms arent has reliable has tentacles at least in my experimce atempting them, every tutorial i tryed fails in one way or another. Also they require gears with to get reliable means rushing the ruins, you can rush swamp to get spots to rush the bee queen instead. Wicker can mass produce resources in a minute, set up reliable farms, so on and so foward.

You can always get living logs when rushing ruins near the archives

only saving grace was the 20% speed but getting it in early game needs rot (if im not mistaken) and rot takes time to get making it inconsistent in early game. 

Maybe not tier d but not one of the strongest 

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:
  1. The beefalo bell allows taking your beefalo with you when you leave the server (making the taming process a bit easier) and also allows you to use the beefalo in the caves. All of this grants the possibility to use your beefalo anywhere on the world. This is good for any character, but specially better for Wendy because of point 2
  2. Wendy specifically has a bug that, when riding a beefalo, the beefalo damage is considered her own damage, which means that the +35% petal bonus damage of abigail (which is meant to compensate her -25% con) and add 10%, becomes a flat +35% TO THE BEEFALO DAMAGE. That means that an ornery beefalo with a normal or glossamer saddle will deal dark sword damage with Wendy and Abigail, and with War saddle will deal consistently around 90 damage. This is without taking into account that Abigail also deals damage on her own...

What does this mean? that if you invest early on on a beefalo as Wendy you have: 

• A strong consistent AOE through Abigail which allows you to obliterate smaller mobs such as spiders, hounds, shadow splumonkeys, etc.
  • With all the meat drops of spiders, you can always recruit pigs for chopping trees or getting helmets (effortless)
  • A powerful regenerative meatshield through Abigail (which you can further enhance with potions). With the right positioning you can make her take the damage, saving you armor or healing food.
  • All bee queen drops cheaply (check out guides of solo Wendy vs BQ, or the boat strategy with Abigail)
  • A permanent unbreakable dark sword damage, or with war saddle, an attack much higher than Wigfrid's with a dark sword

Wendy + Ornery beefalo is right now beyond S tier, and Wolfgang is only better than her when it comes to killing bosses quickly. For everything else Wendy is just superior given than most characters don't benefit from such a high damage synergy+AOE+A floating orb that takes punches for you.

DAMM O.O

That seems broken lol 

For sure S tier in solo but in team play i still think wicker is best due to resouce gathering

Nice stratagie tho, lets just hope klei dosent fixe that beefalo bug

23 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

wendy's ornery beefalo synergy is overrated

good for dragonfly, except dragonfly has very little incentive to be killed more than once, I just kill her with a ham bat and a helm at the beginning of the game and forget about it

terrible for fuelweaver because wendy's fw strategy requires tanking and that kills the beef extremely quickly

wendy can do bee queen better on foot for the first kill, for repeated kills it can be better but farming strategies exist too

toad is pretty good, then again toad isn't exactly the baseline for power in this game because his drops are just decoration

you can clear the ruins clockworks faster, but you can also use rider to get there more quickly and kill them on foot since you already do so much damage with abi at night (except rooks which I often entirely avoid because I don't need 517 flingomatics)

hounds are nothing remarkable because you already 2 shot them in most cases

if you want wolfgang dps play wolfgang

9 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

wendy's ornery beefalo synergy is overrated

good for dragonfly, except dragonfly has very little incentive to be killed more than once, I just kill her with a ham bat and a helm at the beginning of the game and forget about it

terrible for fuelweaver because wendy's fw strategy requires tanking and that kills the beef extremely quickly

wendy can do bee queen better on foot

toad is pretty good, then again toad isn't exactly the baseline for power in this game because his drops are just decoration

you can clear the ruins clockworks faster, but you can also use rider to get there more quickly and kill them on foot since you already do so much damage with abi at night (except rooks which I often entirely avoid because I don't need 517 flingomatics)

hounds are nothing remarkable because you already 2 shot them in most cases

hahaha dude i love your replys, just wish you shared more knoladge and made more videos. Im still waiting for a tier list made by you ! With comentary and reasoning !

13 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

I meant that Wendy is far more versatile and useful under many situations, and the beefalo just puts her at a not-so-further damage level. it's not all about just damage, more about versatility. I did mention that Wolfgang is faster against bosses too.

Wolfgang gains 0 synergy with beefalos. And yes some things need to be done on foot, I don't rule that out. It doesn't matter really, just leave your beefalo to a side when you need to.

I disagree with the ruins though, its still better in an ornery beefalo. The speed difference of switching between glossamer and war saddle doesn't make rider that much needed.

Oh and did I mention Wendy can get a glossamer faster than any other character? 

8 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Oof placing Wormwood in D tier means you have no idea what your talking about. Cant really take the whole tier list seriously, sorry.

Where do you think it should be placed and why ?

I don't have that much experience with every character, but just looking at the characters that I know, I like the list. I'd honestly put Wigfrid in S tier, but maybe that's just because I haven't played a lot of Wortox and post-rework Wendy. Also, as a Warly main, I think he isn't as weak in solo as many people think. Of course, if you're rushing, he's not a great pick, but after you survived the first winter, the game becomes very easy (especially with RWYS now being a thing). And while his food penalty is my personal favourite thing about him, if it's annoying you, it isn't that difficult to deal with, you can just hoard a bunch of meat from hunts and eat meatballs and meaty stew. Quick healing is a much bigger issue, but that's not a big problem early on (if you're not rushing, in which case don't pick Warly).

53 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

scroll up

Never would I have thought that THAT was your reasoning for Wormwood being the most powerful character in the game. 

"20% speed means he progresses through the game 20% faster" 

Holy cow were do I even start with how fundamentally wrong that is. That's not how the game works. 

20% means you will get to a destination faster than wilson, that's it.

A powerful character is one who has perk that allow them to skip preparation altogether. As someone (you)  who kills Dragonfly without the need of walls doesn't understand that? If Wendy and Wormwood race to kill dragonfly your telling me Wormwood is going to kill dragonfly 20% faster? Lmao 

And a 54% damage increase on a beefalo is overated? Well I guess we can all just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, cool.

2 hours ago, Double F said:

Personaly i love optimizing this game to the fulest, playing meta, using the best characters, etc makes me learn so much about the game. I do agree its hard to rank some of these due to variables but when were talking about a tier list im assuming everyone playing is playing like i play, to be efficient, to be optmazed, to be th best player you can, otherwise following a tier list makes no sence, just have fun playing what you want.

When i say cheese im not talking about using bugs or exploits, im talking about how easy it can become. For exaple i dont think bocking Ancient Guardian betwen a pillar or 2 graveyards is and exploit, at times it takes me multiple atempts to find the perfect spot and to make him stuck, preparing a source of light and making sure i wont go insane is also part of the task, doing all taht rewards me with the best stratagie to kill him + i find the "normal" way of fighting him boring.

Now lets use another example, blocking fuelwiver with lureplants or in the gates no telepof out so you can attack him freely, it makes certain characters that would have a hard time (coff coff walter) vs fuelwiver beating him like nothing. Characters that cant fight the Bee queen has easly has wicker and wendy can use the fire farm method to overcome that disability, in my opinion this stratagies are using the tools the game gives you to their maximum potential.

Altough fighting these bosses has intended is much more fun and selfrewarding than exploiting and everyone should try it once but sadly fun dosent always equal best stratagie.

I will always choose the most efficeint way to adress a problem, if fighting a boss the intended way was more efficeint than using resources to make a fire farm i would fight him the intended way and have a blast while doing it !

I meant BERNIE! gets over run and you cant have more thant 1 BERNIE! per willow but i didnt consider having little bernies agro the shadows so willow can kill them, Nice comment !

This might bump willow on the solo tier, thanks ! :D

To add onto the Willow portion, she can use Bernie to farm horde mobs like spiders/shadow splumonkeys without getting shredded by boxing Bernie in with walls, so they aggro onto him without actually being able to attack him. This lets willow pick off the horde one-by-one without fear of retaliation. Granted, Wendy can farm these mobs alot better and without setup using abigail, but I think it's a point worth considering.

30 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Never would I have thought that THAT was your reasoning for Wormwood being the most powerful character in the game. 

"20% speed means he progresses through the game 20% faster" 

Holy cow were do I even start with how fundamentally wrong that is. That's not how the game works. 

20% means you will get to a destination faster than wilson, that's it.

A powerful character is one who has perk that allow them to skip preparation altogether. As someone (you)  who kills Dragonfly without the need of walls doesn't understand that? If Wendy and Wormwood race to kill dragonfly your telling me Wormwood is going to kill dragonfly 20% faster? Lmao 

And a 54% damage increase on a beefalo is overated? Well I guess we can all just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, cool.

THIS IS IT ! This should be the criteria for ranking characters - A powerful character is one who has perk that allow them to skip preparation altogether. As someone (you)  who kills Dragonfly without the need of walls doesn't understand that? If Wendy and Wormwood race to kill dragonfly your telling me Wormwood is going to kill dragonfly 20% faster? Lmao 

15 hours ago, Double F said:

Telepof out so you can attack him freely, it makes certain characters that would have a hard time (coff coff walter) vs fuelwiver beating him like nothing.

Well here is the thing, if you talk sweaty meta, a highly skilled Walter has a easy FW fight, all he has to do is not get hit and there are no sanity issues, one less thing to worry about during the fight; so you could say Walter has probably top 4 easiest legit FW fights. 

@Guille if you want people to listen to what you have to say, don't act superior and know it all, it won't go well.

And a tier list depends on more than just "Singleplayer" or "Multiplayer", too. Even if we're assuming that it's only accounting for skilled players this game is still really open and there's not just one way to play it at a high level. Someone who hates bases and thinks they're stinky stupid would not give a hoot about Wickedbottom (she is not "just the best character no questions asked") or Maximillian, while someone who isn't focusing as much on bosses would not care for Wolfgang or Wigfrid. How long the world is going to last would be another factor with characters like Wurt, Wickedbottom, and Warly preferring longer worlds and characters like Wortox preferring shorter worlds.

I think complicating tier lists into all these different categories is also too complicated and too easy to cause arguments, and you only really need 3 tiers. If I made a tier list for someone who is a good player and wants to do all the content I'd do something like

Notably better: Wendy, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, maybe Woodie.

Notably worse: Webber, WX, Wilson (so sad).

But I'm not 100% confident on that because I don't really play every character evenly and I also didn't really think about it for more than a couple seconds. I might be underestimating characters I never really play like Willow and Walter.

And for bad players Wortox is really OP, and for exclusively fighting then Wolfgang and Wigfrid start getting really good, and farming Wormwood is clearly the best, and sailing Maxwell is the best and Wendy the second best... There's so many different situations someone could be in that you could put most characters in most places.

But I think the characters are pretty balanced other than Wendy who's too strong and Webber who doesn't do anything once you've killed a spider queen and even before you've killed a spider queen he's still just a really bad version of Wendy.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:56 AM, Does said:

Wulf and WX not being top tier in Together is certainly brave lol. Maxwell as the second best ruins rusher, that's another spicy statement there.

Wulf's damage modifier when fully mighty is 2x, compared to Wigfrid's 1.25x. It's not the same damage buff. Wig's effective 250 health seems less than Wolfgang, but in practice she's usually quite a bit tankier because of her health regen. Battle songs don't shine as well solo but still are very strong and greatly lessen the need for healing / sanity items.

Might have more to say in the morning but I'm curious what others have to say, will keep my eye on this.

Wx is lost in the shadows of the game right now because for Wormwood. 

Wormwood outshine the single part wx shined, speed. Yes, Wx is a bit faster than wormwood with his overcharge but how much can you trigger it? Wormwood can speed up whenever it wants it, instead Wx rely on Wickerbottom or on lightnings or with the telelocator stuff. Apart from speed; it has a perk for eating red food like normal food, which is niche but Wormwood can produce a tons of it, it can eat gears which is cool but you need to go into mid and late game to really use it as well the ability to boost stats. The boosting stats it's the only perk which Wx only has but... it's worth it? In a way yes, you can be a lot less careless to receive damage or hunger or sanity drain and help you in many situation but it's BOOORING. Not only before reaching 400 health, 300 hunger, ecc... you need to stick from early game with a 150 stats.

Wx right now is boring and outshined by a character who can do much better and more fun than all what it can do and the only thing special that it can do it's boring. This discussion came from a long long wx main who played till the beta of Don't Starve. Always liked him for his personality and character and still i do but we must recognize his current stagnation in the game. That's why i'm hoping this year it will receive the rework

On 4/2/2021 at 8:18 AM, Milordo said:

Wx is lost in the shadows of the game right now because for Wormwood. 

Wormwood outshine the single part wx shined, speed. Yes, Wx is a bit faster than wormwood with his overcharge but how much can you trigger it? Wormwood can speed up whenever it wants it, instead Wx rely on Wickerbottom or on lightnings or with the telelocator stuff. Apart from speed; it has a perk for eating red food like normal food, which is niche but Wormwood can produce a tons of it, it can eat gears which is cool but you need to go into mid and late game to really use it as well the ability to boost stats. The boosting stats it's the only perk which Wx only has but... it's worth it? In a way yes, you can be a lot less careless to receive damage or hunger or sanity drain and help you in many situation but it's BOOORING. Not only before reaching 400 health, 300 hunger, ecc... you need to stick from early game with a 150 stats.

Wx right now is boring and outshined by a character who can do much better and more fun than all what it can do and the only thing special that it can do it's boring. This discussion came from a long long wx main who played till the beta of Don't Starve. Always liked him for his personality and character and still i do but we must recognize his current stagnation in the game. That's why i'm hoping this year it will receive the rework

I think WX's issue is that he's still really solid on paper but Wormwood basically makes him into Robo-Wilson. Food is no longer a big deal, eating spoiled food doesn't mean anything anymore, really. His movement was always strong if niche but Wormwood being able to get a slightly weaker version without effort makes that perk not as big a deal anymore. Aside from that, all you have is raw stats IF you hits the ruins first and gears aren't in high demand. You're Wilson 2.0 when one shows up, and at least Mk. 1 has the utility of beard hair.

WX has always been kind of simple honestly, but he's never been turned so mediocre where he doesn't really bring anything just by one character.

I think that is the main problem with tier lists every character can do everything but i think its the aspect of efficency.
you can kind of run it like this.  These are my top positions where the characters belong.  at least for every  task you may encounter.
which characters are best at collecting resources early on.
max woodie wurt wendy  wicker woodworm ...The rest..
Which are the best at doing things quickly aka speed runs.
wolfgang woodworm wortox
Which have the most useful tools for survival.

Warly wicker wendy wigfrid
which are the best for long sustained survival.

Warly wurt worm
I feel every character has their moments. and it really just takes the player to enjoy  which type of play style they enjoy. and which character they enjoy doing it with. even if the character is not the most efficient at it.   That is the joy of the game

On 4/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, HowlVoid said:

20% means you will get to a destination faster then wilson, that’s it.

I know that speed isn’t the end all be all and you agree with it, but I feel like you might be undervaluing how good speed really is.

Speed doesn’t just mean you get to a destination faster, but effects a significant amount of mechanics that rely on speed as well. Take kiting patterns, for instance. With deerclops + a default character, you can get exactly 3 hits without any speed boosts before you need to dodge the attack, and any additional hits won’t give you enough time to move away. With a 20% speed boost though, you can reliably get 4 hits in without having to dodge. This means that if you had Wilson + Wormwood and the only difference they had was 20% speed, Wormwood would kill the Deerclops quicker via the additional hit per kite. In fact, some mobs basically require you to have extremely high speeds to kite them consistently (mainly the shadow rook or normal/damaged bishops, if you really want to do the latter).

In addition, even if speed mainly helps with walking to destinations, you do a lot of that, too. You won’t magically go to bee queen because you wish to fight it, so you need to hike the whole trip to reach the boss. Having in innate speed boost will help with reducing the downtime between things you do.

The reason I do consider Wormwood a good character is an indirect result of that. Lategame you will likely have setups to deal with the bosses fairly easily, and forcing bloom is very practical later on. He does have other merits (I can’t undervalue how nice being able to just casually craft living logs is...), but in particular the speed perk definitely stands out, being both consistent and reliable for solo worlds.

28 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

Yeah for sure. Thats why I think Wormwood is for sure A rank, if not THE king of A rank. Speed is very important in this game but it is triumphed by damage boosts. Now, thats mostly true for my play style because the bulk of the game for me is fighting bosses. Damage means you need overall less resources such as healing, weapons and armor.  

I've never really understood the justification of the meta to be honest Wolfgang does deal 2x damage but catapults or followers will always out place him in boss fights in the long run. He doesn't offer anything to the team that others can't replace and his greatest feat is people claiming another character's perk as his own. I feel like the only reason he retains his best character status is because people like to box in the requirements for being the best in a way suits him. For example

-assuming people only fight bosses once

-assuming all servers end by winter

-assuming an entire server will only rely on Wolfgang for bossing and that he will give away spoils.

webber should be higher because he the best boy

on a more serious note though webber can get a gigantic army of spider for practically free and demolish enemies (even bosses liek deerclops of bearger because you can make a spider base with a bunch of nests and kill them easily)

Archived