Why did "moving heads" get a disable option right away, but we still cant disable insanity sound effect?

Just now, bruhmoment23 said:

I can't even begin to comprehend your comparisons. The op is only talking about insanity ambience and how it annoys them in DST. Wtf does gunfire and explosion have to do with anything in this thread?

If you don’t play the game.. you Won’t understand the comparisons but since this is a VIDEO GAME Forum... the best thing to compare DSTs sound effects to are Other video games that share similarities/sound effects with it.

If you feel that is off topic: fine report it I don’t care, but as a gamer, trying to have conversations with other gamers... using video games as comparison IS the BEST way.

Now as far as the Ops actual question: you can mute your TV or simply stop being insane to stop those sound effects- 

But floating heads were just sort of there... oddly floating, and something NEW Recently added, not an existing feature that’s remain untouched since 2013.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How is the constant ringing of insanity in DST any different from Concusion grenades in Rainbow Six Siege that the enemy A.I. In Training Mode loves to hurl your way constantly. Or the explosions from nearby c4 or anything!

my point is: Ringing sound effects that agitate the human ears have been used in video games to simulate things like flashbangs, C4, loud explosions- it’s meant to be a distortion it’s MEANT to make you feel uncomfortable.. 

If it’s such a bother: mute your tv when your insane. But you obviously shouldn’t play Rainbow Siege where every couple seconds the ringing sound happens.

Basic rule of thumb: Staying Insane is not a good thing.

Flashbangs, c4 and loud explosion sounds in games are there for a good reason, they are important parts to create realism and to make it useful in gameplay, especially if its a PvP game.

Insanity ringing sound in DST is there for the sole reason of annoying you. It's really not hard to understand, I just don't get why you would be so defensive over a simple toggle option, especially after we got toggleable inventory heads.đ

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you don’t play the game.. you Won’t understand the comparisons but since this is a VIDEO GAME Forum... the best thing to compare DSTs sound effects to are Other video games that share similarities/sound effects with it.

If you feel that is off topic: fine report it I don’t care, but as a gamer, trying to have conversations with other gamers... using video games as comparison IS the BEST way.

Now as far as the Ops actual question: you can mute your TV or simply stop being insane to stop those sound effects- 

But floating heads were just sort of there... oddly floating, and something NEW Recently added, not an existing feature that’s remain untouched since 2013.

Sorry no, your analogies just dont make sense. A real analogy would be, imagine if you're playing a shooter like battlefield or COD, and every time you were wounded your character would get tinnitus and you'd have to listen to the loud ringing constantly whenever your health wasnt at 100%

Like in DST the effect would be there just to annoy you, it would have no practical purpose, it wouldnt be realistic, just annoying.

P.S. I'll be sure to tell you to turn off your display the next time you have a visual bug in the game.

Just now, CremeLover said:

bruh

I meant graphically disabling rain from clientside due to permance issues.

there is no 'bruh' to be had. that is where it is done. the rain isn't an overlay on your screen that affects nothing but visuals: it is experienced by all players and so exists for all players and it affects all(unprotected) objects in the world and so changes them. the onus is on the individual to play in worlds that their computer can handle, this is why you can check the configs of a world before entering it. even if it was an overlay only though your computer would still lag from all of the wet prefixes and the wet applications on turf and the changed timers and all the other things affected by rain

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

there is no 'bruh' to be had. that is where it is done. the rain isn't an overlay on your screen that affects nothing but visuals: it is experienced by all players and so exists for all players and it affects all(unprotected) objects in the world and so changes them. the onus is on the individual to play in worlds that their computer can handle, this is why you can check the configs of a world before entering it. even if it was an overlay only though your computer would still lag from all of the wet prefixes and the wet applications on turf and the changed timers and all the other things affected by rain

This ^ I genuinely feel like some people do not fully grasp the concept/mechanics of this game- rain isn’t just something visual to slow your performance: it has effects associated to it: Such as Character and item Wetness, Freezing, Lightning, & of course Frog Rain.

you guys must be playing on some really old hardware for things to bog your units down like that.

But anyway: we’re getting off topic so if Klei feels like the ops request is something they reasonably want to do, they’ll do it- and if not well I guess that’s that.

14 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Insanity ringing sound in DST is there for the sole reason of annoying you

It makes you stressful, paranoid because hound like sounds (and other sounds that might confuse you if you are new) and tired. Things that are a drawback for being insane, increase the inmersion and might make you make mistakes for being stressed so the same argument that you used can be applied to this

Im not against a sound option for it just pointed that it has a propuse and the other sounds from other games could have a toggleable option too even if you dont think so

2 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Flashbangs, c4 and loud explosion sounds in games are there for a good reason, they are important parts to create realism and to make it useful in gameplay, especially if its a PvP game.

Insanity ringing sound in DST is there for the sole reason of annoying you. It's really not hard to understand, I just don't get why you would be so defensive over a simple toggle option, especially after we got toggleable inventory heads.

I know, the thing i didn't understood from that person's post is the beforeplaced comparison. I well understand using these sorts of sounds for variety of purposes in setting up the atmosphere, both the explosions and insanity noises for mentioned games. But in most cases both become earpiercing as time goes on. Personally i'm all up for this suggestion since it's been demanded yet ignored for quite a while now and i'm basically in the same boat with how much irritating it can become.

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

Look, there's a difference between GRAPHICALLY DISABLING something and making it dissapear from the world. The rain is an effect ingame associated with prefabs, sound effects, and animation from the particle and from the particle hitting the ground, that changes dependent on the intensity of the rain. Visually rain is an overlay when it comes to the graphical interface, how it affects the server, the items and the player is handled server side, not by the visual render.

While it doesn't really bother me, I know there are people with less powerful machines that are bothered by it.

In fact, there's a mod that decreases the amount of particles and the raindrop effect while hitting the ground because of the lag issue some people experiment because of said weather effect.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1234805513

I'm playing on an almost literal BRICK at this point and rain doesn't slow me down, as far as I know anyway.  Not even on a huge and old world.

But back to the main subject--yes, the insanity sound effect IS....insanely annoying, but I feel it's supposed to be.  Insanity isn't meant to be pleasant.  Personally I try to get out of that state as soon as possible, mainly for the danger reasons but also because I like quiet and colours.

All that said I do totally understand the people who want to tone it down.  If it was its own seperate thing and not just part of the ambience in general, so it could be toggled seperately without you losing all the other background sounds as well, that would help a lot of peoples' problems.  No I am of course NOT suggesting that Klei start bending to every single complaint from just any one person ever.  (That's a slippery slope fallacy. You know better than that.  Stop it.)  But this is a MUCH complained problem from MANY people that has been around for years, so I think it has a more legit status.

... Notorious

I don't understand why some people are arguing against having at least a toggle for effects like these.
I don't have issues with insanity ambience myself, and even I would like these options in the game for people who don't want to deal with the sounds or desaturated visuals, especially if it causes actual headaches. 

All this would achieve is make the game more accessible for more people and/or improve the experience people have with it.
Yes, mods for this exist, but relying on mods for every single thing that is bothersome about the game is definitely not a good solution, especially since mods can have weird side-effects you do not want.

If the development team would never change anything about the game when it comes to things like these because "there already is a mod that does that", then we would probably not be getting updates such as Reap what you sow, or heck, the entirety of Return of them's ocean content. (Okay maybe that would be a bit too much, but I think I am getting my point across.)

1 hour ago, AlienMagi said:

Because insanity sound is a game feature, it's supposed to be uncomfortable and notify you that you are insane. Moving heads are a cosmetic that doesn't influence the game whatsoever.

I agree with this statement though. The ambiance is one of the defining features of insanity, an  audio-visual deterrent whatsoever. It'd be like asking octopi ink to not cover your screen because it gets annoying after a while- whereas its function is to obstruct your screen through aesthetics.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:31 PM, SinancoTheBest said:

I agree with this statement though. The ambiance is one of the defining features of insanity, an  audio-visual deterrent whatsoever. It'd be like asking octopi ink to not cover your screen because it gets annoying after a while- whereas its function is to obstruct your screen through aesthetics.

Yes it adds to the ambience for the first 100 hours of playtime. After 1000 it just gets annoying. We have the option to turn off the insanity screen distortion and to disable ambience for insanity sound. Why would we not have an option just for insanity sound at this point?

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

No, that's a totally different thing.
You're comparing something that affects everybody to the same extend no matter where they are in the game with an effect that you only get to see very rarely in the first place.

Plus it's not like you'd be forced to toggle the insanity ambience off entirely, a toggle for it would only serve as an option for those who would like to use it. Just like the screenshake setting.

I understand if we either have the same set of rules for everybody or we don't have them for anybody - as a principle: now that "pong-pong" heads have a disable option from menus, as a purely visual experience, in same line of thought we should have a disable or tune up/down option for Insanity effects. I as well don't like the de-saturation and sound aspects of Insanity, more-so when said de-saturation is applied on Snow layout basically rendering Shadows almost invisible; yet have accepted such elements of game as "intended experience by dev". Now it seems that may not be the case; hence we should get OP's proposal setting as well - even more as Insanity effects represent in-game experience, as opposed to a purely (weird) cosmetic choice regarding mentioned "wobbling heads" avatars.

6 hours ago, AlienMagi said:

Like I've been saying for years the insanity ringing sound is really annoying and I've been asking for an option to disable it for years, one developer even replied saying something is being worked on but nothing changed yet.

Now 2 or 3 people complained about moving heads in the inventory screen which wasnt even a problem and didn't affect gameplay in any way and it's been patched within a few days. 

At this point im just trying to understand why the insanity ringing sound effect is so important and why it's kept fused with the game's ambience volume which i dont want to disable. Especially since all the other ambient sounds have for some reason already been massively toned down since the first return of them update. I still don't know if thats a bug or an intentional change.

because not many people really care about the sanity sounds

I'm not against them adding a toggle for these kinds of things but what I do not like is this just is a continuation of kleis wishy washy approach when it comes to developing this game. I just want klei to have enough confidence in what they are doing that they will stick to their guns on stuff instead of caving so quickly.

Feedback is great. Its important. But at the end of the day I want to play Klei's game and not have it be constantly filtered through the players own wishes at the cost of sacrificing Kleis intended vision.

39 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I'm not against them adding a toggle for these kinds of things but what I do not like is this just is a continuation of kleis wishy washy approach when it comes to developing this game. I just want klei to have enough confidence in what they are doing that they will stick to their guns on stuff instead of caving so quickly.

Feedback is great. Its important. But at the end of the day I want to play Klei's game and not have it be constantly filtered through the players own wishes at the cost of sacrificing Kleis intended vision.

why can't klei want the players to be (mostly) happy? like, do the devs of a game and the playerbase of a game have to be oppositional in their wants and wishes?

it is a bit concerning that there are people who will see a developer trying to make a game in cooperation with the people who play that game and make assumptions that the developer was being forced or coerced into it. perhaps it is an intentional approach that klei wants to see what people think of a thing and so release it with the intention of getting feedback to refine and reconfigure(when necessary) the thing so that it is the most ideal for the most people?

Just now, gaymime said:

why can't klei want the players to be (mostly) happy? like, do the devs of a game and the playerbase of a game have to be oppositional in their wants and wishes?

it is a bit concerning that there are people who will see a developer trying to make a game in cooperation with the people who play that game and make assumptions that the developer was being forced or coerced into it. perhaps it is an intentional approach that klei wants to see what people think of a thing and so release it with the intention of getting feedback to refine and reconfigure(when necessary) the thing so that it is the most ideal for the most people?

That's not what I said though. I am fine with Klei listening to feedback. And this decision in particular I do not care either way what they do as it doesn't have a large impact on the game, but it is indicative of them changing their minds with pretty much every content release, sometimes things are reverted or changed less than a full day than the original drop, and there is simply no way that a reasonable testing of new content can be achieved in such a short time. That is what I get annoyed with.

Off the top of my head things that Klei has caved to are: Willow fire immunity, Woodie weregoose swimming, Wendy rework, Wavey Jones nerfs, Rock jaws despawning, separate wicker book for grass and twigs, the many interations of farming, etc. 

I understand there is the debate on who really owns the game. Is it the players since they are the ones playing it, or is it the developer since they are the ones making it? Its a fine line, but I feel as though as opposed to listening to no feedback at all, klei listens too much to feedback and I would like a middle ground.

I will repeat it again feedback is a good thing and I am glad klei listens to it. However, when a new update is released and people start complaining within an hour or so, and its not a bug or number tweaking but over a new mechanic, and a new update that scraps the mechanic or tweaks it completely or removes it comes out, sometimes less than a full day since the original drop. I don't see that as as Klei listening to player feedback to improve the game. I see that as players refusing to adapt to how klei has opted to develop this particular mechanics (ie. their vision and goal), and Klei caving on their vision to keep players happy despite having the proper testing period and giving non complaining players time to adapt.

14 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I understand if we either have the same set of rules for everybody or we don't have them for anybody - as a principle: now that "pong-pong" heads have a disable option from menus, as a purely visual experience, in same line of thought we should have a disable or tune up/down option for Insanity effects. I as well don't like the de-saturation and sound aspects of Insanity, more-so when said de-saturation is applied on Snow layout basically rendering Shadows almost invisible; yet have accepted such elements of game as "intended experience by dev". Now it seems that may not be the case; hence we should get OP's proposal setting as well - even more as Insanity effects represent in-game experience, as opposed to a purely (weird) cosmetic choice regarding mentioned "wobbling heads" avatars.

Right, the nightmares being practically invisible during winter, i somehow completely forgot about that.
Maybe they could do something with how nightmares themselves are rendered though, for those people who would prefer to keep insanity visuals.

6 hours ago, sudoku said:

That's not what I said though. I am fine with Klei listening to feedback. And this decision in particular I do not care either way what they do as it doesn't have a large impact on the game, but it is indicative of them changing their minds with pretty much every content release, sometimes things are reverted or changed less than a full day than the original drop, and there is simply no way that a reasonable testing of new content can be achieved in such a short time. That is what I get annoyed with.

Off the top of my head things that Klei has caved to are: Willow fire immunity, Woodie weregoose swimming, Wendy rework, Wavey Jones nerfs, Rock jaws despawning, separate wicker book for grass and twigs, the many interations of farming, etc. 

I understand there is the debate on who really owns the game. Is it the players since they are the ones playing it, or is it the developer since they are the ones making it? Its a fine line, but I feel as though as opposed to listening to no feedback at all, klei listens too much to feedback and I would like a middle ground.

I will repeat it again feedback is a good thing and I am glad klei listens to it. However, when a new update is released and people start complaining within an hour or so, and its not a bug or number tweaking but over a new mechanic, and a new update that scraps the mechanic or tweaks it completely or removes it comes out, sometimes less than a full day since the original drop. I don't see that as as Klei listening to player feedback to improve the game. I see that as players refusing to adapt to how klei has opted to develop this particular mechanics (ie. their vision and goal), and Klei caving on their vision to keep players happy despite having the proper testing period and giving non complaining players time to adapt.

I can see your point, but I also feel like that the decisions the devs did go back on are decisions that they agreed were not a good idea.
I agree a bunch of people just can not adapt well to new things (the whole "SW was so much better than ROT" can of worms sorta confirms that), but when such an overwhelming amount of people feel that something is very off and hampers the gameplay in a way, then I wouldn't necessarily say all of these people just can not adapt to new things.

The examples you gave for this not only ended up benefitting the quality of the updates, making them more engaging, but also over half of them were changed before the update even actually released out of its testing phase, meaning if anything they just listened to what we thought of it while they were still working on the update and agreed this may be a better solution.

Plus as a side note, not every single newly added thing ends up being immediately perfect, so feedback, as you yourself said, should be a good thing. And when said feedback consists of "this feels incredibly off" then that's a fairly valid thing to say in my opinion.

Guys seriously you don't understand it's so ~complicated~ to turn off the sounds I mean look at all this code:

function insanityvolume(self)
	if self.OnUpdate then
		local OnUpdate_old = self.OnUpdate

self.OnUpdate = function(self, dt, ...)
			OnUpdate_old(self, dt, ...)
			self.inst.SoundEmitter:SetParameter( "SANITY", "sanity", 0 )
		end
	end
end

AddComponentPostInit("ambientsound", insanityvolume)

And then you have to write more for a button you can't imagine the millions of dollars and work hours that go into these things.

Archived