I'm assuming there are already a bunch of threads regarding the lore of this game, but I'm not about to look through 483 pages of topics in General Discussion for one (I'm actually really new to this site and don't know where the search feature is.... or much of anything... so if anyone knows anything on that, I'd appreciate some of that knowledge). 

Anyway, I know I am 8 years late to the whole topic on the lore and storyline and everything, however... here's a fresh thread to discuss such things, to catch us newbies up to date, and to explore the new content and character refreshes that Klei Entertainment is going to release this year.

Now, for those who are even newer to the lore than I am, before you ask questions, I recommend reading this first: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Story_Line (synopsis on the canonical information in the story thus far). It helped catch me up on a lot of information I would have missed, such as from the William Carter Puzzles and the Cyclum Puzzles.

Anyway, have fun!

2 hours ago, Baguettes said:

Those are some names I don't even know.. Except for Lucy.

Professor Mourier is a spiritualist who claims to speak with the dead. 
You know, a con-artist who manipulates people's emotions to make money. 
He likely has zero actual relevance to any story ever, but people seem to be obsessed with him anyway. 

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

Still wondering if they'll give a follow up to Genivive, Professor Mourier, and Lucy in the future.

I hardly think Mourier or Genivive will be relevant to the story. As for Lucy...Well it depends on how much Woodie lore they want to fork over, and considering how little we've gotten, I'm not hopeful.

I really wish Klei would put more effort into expanding their characters, a lot of them have a good base, but have little beyond that.

10 hours ago, minespatch said:

Still wondering if they'll give a follow up to Genivive, Professor Mourier, and Lucy in the future.

There are many minor characters. I'd like to know more about them. For example, about characters whose first and last names begin with W. For example, I am interested in this person.
image.thumb.png.f651415afa77a97ed32dbdae19649cf7.png
Lucy is more likely to reveal herself in a full-fledged story because she is more connected to Woodie. I think one day their fate will be explained.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In ds universe, ghost actually exists instead of being a stupid superstition 

So maybe he isnt a scammer like the irl ones

About ghosts existing in the DS universe, I was thinking that maybe they wouldn't exist in the normal world initially, BUT as we've seen in Wendy's animation "Wish You Were Here," Abigail does (presumably) exist as a ghost watching over Wendy.

Something that I've noticed is that everyone has been asking "how Abigail died?" but MY question is "when did Abigail die?" If she died very recently before Wendy entered the constant, then maybe Professor Mourier had something to do with her disappearance. Possibly, Maxwell used Mourier as a vassal to lure Wendy into the Constant. However, if she died before Maxwell even entered the Constant (so before age 3, which I guess is unlikely, but not impossible), maybe in his rituals, he "awakened" Abigail and then Wendy began imagining these "fantasies" of playing with her sister because her sister was there in spirit, but not in corporeal form?

Also, you guys mentioned Wendy's lore drop, where is/was that? Was it in a video or a post by one of the devs? 

They are unfathomable entities beyond what our limited senses can perceive. Their otherworldly whisper, however, can be heard by the most intelligent, or insane minds, if you prefer.
The knowledge they can give is stupendous and terrible, catastrophic in the hands of us limited creatures of blood and flesh.
They bring ruin wherever they go; the Constant is a decaying and dying kingdom.
Come on, go through the door without door, Maxwell's machine, the way to a realm beyond human understanding.

image.thumb.png.7d68a61b5774873aeb86511d9aec57d3.png

image.thumb.png.f14a3d80d550054af7404514626ba96a.png

2 hours ago, Flusap said:

I don't understand how Maxwell took people into the constant. Cause with Wilson he had to build that elaborate machine, and with Wigfrid she just had to agree to go.

Probably a plot hole due to revising the story line multiple times. At one point I was wondering if they were going to scrap the whole lore when they announced they needed new writers (unless that was a fever dream). 

It may be that his invention facilitated the connection between the two realms. Thus, allowing Maxwell to make an apparition to coerce everyone else. 

It's still a bit iffy on who "they" are. Maxwell's old dialogue in singleplayer (adventure mode and his old character lines) seemed to suggest they are the shadow creatures, saying they were there when he got there, and he doesn't know what they want and stays dapper to avoid them (i.e the sanity mechanic). But if they were before, it doesn't seem so anymore in-canon at least after the ruins lore in DST was conceived. That whole period between when Maxwell and Charlie got pulled in and when Maxwell was compelled to trap people is still left untold, I hope a new animation explains it one day.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, Flusap said:

I don't understand how Maxwell took people into the constant. Cause with Wilson he had to build that elaborate machine, and with Wigfrid she just had to agree to go.

Maxwell picks out people who are just like him - desperate and willing to do anything to change something in their life.  I don't think he can just snatch anyone where though, they probably have to sell their soul in a way before they are trapped. With Wigfrid it was easy, she was depressed and seemed to live in another world to feel happy anyway, so it wouldn't take a lot of effort for Maxwell to convince her if he took advantage of that.

Wilson maybe needed a bit more convincing and would not go willingly, so Maxwell gave him knowledge and had him build a machine with his own blood, tricking him with his desire to invent something.

i would like to say that the recent events in Return of Them make us think that there is a big fight against good and evil, and the moon will save us from the darkness.

but that is a lie! the Moon is fooling us becouse it is the greater evil! why do you think the ancients joined the dark? 

spread the word of Them and you will find the salvation!

thank you.

30 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

i would like to say that the recent events in Return of Them make us think that there is a big fight against good and evil, and the moon will save us from the darkness.

but that is a lie! the Moon is fooling us becouse it is the greater evil! why do you think the ancients joined the dark? 

thank you.

If we are going to start a cult then I need to make myself very clear:

download (1).jpeg

Or robes. 

11 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Probably a plot hole due to revising the story line multiple times. At one point I was wondering if they were going to scrap the whole lore when they announced they needed new writers (unless that was a fever dream). 

It may be that his invention facilitated the connection between the two realms. Thus, allowing Maxwell to make an apparition to coerce everyone else. 

You're missing a major detail. The mechanism that Wilson built and launched is the Maxwell door. And it exists in order to get to other worlds and free the prisoner Maxwell himself. Logically, it can be explained so that Maxwell gave Wilson forbidden knowledge, so that he created a link between this world and the real world, so that he saved it and then Maxwell himself could escape to the real world.
I even have art on this topic..

328212970__.thumb.png.6c734799345960f78cb359507c24baeb.png
And here Wigfrid... But this does not change the essence... Maxwell, perhaps, at first really for fun kidnapped people, and later began to kidnap for the sake of saving his person..
1489730716__1.thumb.png.bea8a9a6a1319b3925aba295b579a36b.png
Why did Maxwell kidnap Wigfrid like this?.. I can say that. The important part is the gramophone  ML-77. This thing is somehow connected to Maxwell's essence and powers.

Why didnt walter need a deal to be kidnapped? The same with winona, seems like charlie has another powers. She was the night monster, now is the night monster and the throne owner but she isnt trapped in the throne like all the others owners

Also, i was just thinking this: if maxwell can use nightmere fuel to split his mind to create dummy copies of him, do this means that the nightmere fuel, when contaminate a body like it did with the ancients, steal their minds to create a being? I guess the body perish after eons but the nightmere fuel might imitate the conections to copy the mind. This could explain that the shadow monsters are ethereal beings with a corrupted mind (the copy could be imperfect)

Im very curious about the eye seen in the atrium and how the moon is related to an eye. This plus dst lore being inspired by chtulhu mythos could mean that there is a conscience in the way of yog soggoth: a cosmic entity with no real shape doing stuff that mortals dont understand. As i said previously in other topics, the atrium with his eye remembers me the black hole motor from the ship in the film "final horizont". A engigne that develop awareness and make all the people in the ship to become crazy

I really hope that, if klei adds a moon boss, it will be a totally eldritch monster, even more than fw

Sorry if is hard to understand, my poor english is bad for this kind of conversation

Another thing that remembers me the moon lore ark. Im not saying that this will be used for RoT but that might interest someone for the theme

Spoiler

Throckmartin stiffened to it as a pointer does to a hidden covey. To me from him pulsed a thrill of horror—but horror tinged with an unfamiliar, an infernal joy. It came to me and passed away—leaving me trembling with its shock of bitter sweet.

He bent forward, all his soul in his eyes. The moon path swept closer, closer still. It was now less than half a mile away. From it the ship fled —almost as though pursued. Down upon it, swift and straight, a radiant torrent cleaving the waves, raced the moon stream.

"Good God!" breathed Throckmartin, and if ever the words were a prayer and an invocation they were.

And then, for the first time—I saw—it!

The moon path stretched to the horizon and was bordered by darkness. It was as though the clouds above had been parted to form a lane—drawn aside like curtains or as the waters of the Red Sea were held back to let the hosts of Israel through. On each side of the stream was the black shadow cast by the folds of the high canopies And straight as a road between the opaque walls gleamed, shimmered, and danced the shining, racing, rapids of the moonlight.

Far, it seemed immeasurably far, along this stream of silver fire I sensed, rather than saw, something coming. It drew first into sight as a deeper glow within the light. On and on it swept toward us—an opalescent mistiness that sped with the suggestion of some winged creature in arrowed flight. Dimly there crept into my mind memory of the Dyak legend of the winged messenger of Buddha—the Akla bird whose feathers are woven of the moon- rays, whose heart is a living opal, whose wings in flight echo the crystal clear music of the white stars—but whose beak is of frozen flame and shreds the souls of unbelievers.

Is from the novel The Moon Pool by Abraham Merrit

On 2/7/2021 at 7:19 AM, VouMorrer said:

H E R E S Y ! 

...on another note, its struck me as odd that the new update teaser image had 5-persons designated on the description. Implies the existence of less or more people activating different forms of whatever the silhouette is, probably as a way to cater to loners, small groups and big groups alike.

thoughts?

13 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

H E R E S Y ! 

We will see who is the heretic when the mysterious energy takes a monstrous shape and devour the entire constant!

prepare yourself for your own destruction, moon followers!

13 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

...on another note, its struck me as odd that the new update teaser image had 5-persons designated on the description. Implies the existence of less or more people activating different forms of whatever the silhouette is, probably as a way to cater to loners, small groups and big groups alike.

thoughts?

this 5-guy thing seems too weird to mean anything. maybe joew is joking us, but anyway it is a interesting information

if it has a meaning, (wich i dont believe it has), i believe that 5 peaple helped build the thing. 

On 2/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, HowlVoid said:

I feel like the more likely alternative is the former, because has it not been established that Wilson was one of the last survivors to be coerced into the constant? 
image.png.263aac6a6770ad70cac57b35c831824c.png
This is from Kevin's timeline post (albeit from 7 years ago, I don't know if it still applies), but as far as I know, Wagstaff also created a portal that sucked both him and Winona in during the Voxola factory fire. 

And ok, Wagstaff may have also built a portal, but we know that even before that (based on Winona's bulletin board), there were instances such as a library burning down (which many people theorize to be Wickerbottom's backstory) and missing posters of Woodie, as well as Wendy's/Abigail's flower, etc etc. So I don't necessarily think that Maxwell's methods for bringing people into the constant was through what he told Wilson to build. 

Besides, if that were the case and Wilson was the first one to go missing, how would Maxwell haved reached out to Wilson in the first place? 

Archived