Should Beefalo Become Renewable Through Hunts?

Beefalo and Hunts Poll  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Make beefalo a potential outcome of hunts.

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Beefalo obtained through hunt only on a specific season (example: Spring) and biome (Savanna).

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Preferred season to obtain Beefalo through hunts.

• Autumn.
    • Winter.
    • Spring.
    • Summer.

I was surprised that a feature similar to that of renewable volt goat herds through hunts during spring was not added with the Year of the Beefalo update for the Beefalo. It would have been the perfect opportunity (given that the update was centered around the Beefalo) and provided us with a permanent feature after the conclusion of the event. It would have been a good way to prevent beefalos from going extinct. What do you think? Should Beefalo become an addition to the outcome of hunts?

I think it's fine, if it's semi rare and only happens at certain times like volt golts. As mentioned it's good against people who grief and all that fun jazz.
While extinction is a good way of punishing stuff, it's not so good in a multiplayer game tbh. Where griefers will do anything to make people miserable. Would be nice to see Catcoon Nests/Hallowed Stumps respawn, since they can be totally destroyed as well by fires and unsavory people with a hammer and some fire

People who click into this thread are likely going to be biased for having renewable beef. Just balancing the viewpoint. 

(Yeah... I also want to have more beef herds. It just might get a bit chaotic during endgame so I suggest Summer being the season, so that only those determined to get a beefalo would actually be getting one.)

2 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Extinction is a part of the game. If you put this in, it will make it even more obscure. I like the idea of renewable Goats, but Beefalo, I don't know.

Kind of I like extinction idea. So I think that chance to get back Beefalo should happen only for long-existing worlds. Anyway I would like to see more stuff that could go extinct but still had a tiny chance like 1% to get back (as is multiplayer don't allow to jump to the next world with all possible to pack stuff). 

Just FYI right now you can create Beefalo Herds fairly easily with the Bell.

My Beef I was using for contests became undomesticated after I left it alone for a while (near its bell and in my base, miles from its original herd, I also had a salt lick but I'm pretty sure the bell alone was keeping it put) and it started making a new herd near my base with two babies at the start of Spring. Checked his original herd and it was back at 12 so he was definitely creating a new herd. I led him to a different spot in the map with his bell where I want a new Herd and then unbonded him from the bell, killed the two babies that for some reason remained at my base and he should now start making a new herd in his new spot. I went and checked and he isn't migrating back to his original herd.

I may try to do this a few more times to make extra herds in Savannah's across my world.

I also led a Beefalo to a specific spot in the caves and that one should start a herd as well.

I feel like they shouldn't be renewable, its weird volt goats are. There should be consequences to your choices, griefers already have too much power over a normal player, this won't be of much use to them when they can literally burn your base and loot it, so don't play on random servers.

There should be more things like these that aren't renewable if you literally kill them to extinction but with how bunnymen and pigman spawning with houses works it doen't seem possible as they can't breed.

3 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

I feel like they shouldn't be renewable, its weird volt goats are. There should be consequences to your choices, griefers already have too much power over a normal player, this won't be of much use to them when they can literally burn your base and loot it, so don't play on random servers.

There should be more things like these that aren't renewable if you literally kill them to extinction but with how bunnymen and pigman spawning with houses works it doen't seem possible as they can't breed.

I was saying Boo-urns.

Just for posterity sake I couldn't disagree more with this. I feel like almost everything in the game should be renewable or possible to bring back from extinction in the case of mobs. Lots of players do long term worlds and having various mobs/items/whatever go extinct (whether due to player fault, wildfires, lightning, bosses etc) can be extremely detrimental

If it was purely consequences for players choices (for example someone specifically killing off a species and destroying all of its housing as well) that would be one thing but bosses, seasonal/weather hazards/other mobs etc can easily destroy plenty of non-renewables.

If anything I desperately want the ability to create additional tallbird nests, catcoon dens, hound mounds and more. I obviously want them to be extremely expensive/hard to obtain and limited in how many player built ones you can have in a world so it doesn't get ridiculous but I really want to be able to make/obtain more creature dens.

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I was saying Boo-urns.

Just for posterity sake I couldn't disagree more with this. I feel like almost everything in the game should be renewable or possible to bring back from extinction in the case of mobs. Lots of players do long term worlds and having various mobs/items/whatever go extinct (whether due to player fault, wildfires, lightning, bosses etc) can be extremely detrimental

If it was purely consequences for players choices (for example someone specifically killing off a species and destroying all of its housing as well) that would be one thing but bosses, seasonal/weather hazards/other mobs etc can easily destroy plenty of non-renewables.

If anything I desperately want the ability to create additional tallbird nests, catcoon dens, hound mounds and more. I obviously want them to be extremely expensive/hard to obtain and limited in how many player built ones you can have in a world so it doesn't get ridiculous but I really want to be able to make/obtain more creature dens.

I often play on long term worlds and never in all of my runs with over 500 days did i lose beefalo to bosses, there are multiple herds and i don't go there when i fight deerclops and i usually lead bearger to my tree farm location, its really rare for them to get caught up in any fight if you are careful.

catcoon dens i can understand as they can usually die to pengulls but hound mounds? what are they needed for except in some specific builds for decoration maybe. If you need hounds, you can just make a Varg farm.

How do you lose tallbird nests? Only way i see is wildfires but i always go to caves so i've never lost any. How is it not your fault if they burn if you are near them during summer, that's what i meant when i said consequences for player actions, you don't always need to kill something to extinction, there should be more options for that to happen depending on what a player does.

If there are a lot of players on your server and you want to play for a long time and megabase, you should maybe teach them, disable wildfires or play only with experienced players.

53 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

How do you lose tallbird nests? Only way i see is wildfires but i always go to caves so i've never lost any. How is it not your fault if they burn if you are near them during summer, that's what i meant when i said consequences for player actions

Thinking it's the player's fault for having the absolute gall to dare to engage with a season and play how they want to instead of hiding away in a place that ignores the entirety of the season.

This poll is flawed. The latter two questions are required despite them not pertaining to people who answer "no" to the first question.

There are a few important distinctions between volt goat herds and beefalo herds:

1. There are significantly more beefalo herds than volt goat in world gen, and spread around the map. There is even a guaranteed herd in a remote savanna surrounded by a forest.

2. To my understanding, as long beefalo aren't completely extinct from a world, one can simply befriend one or give it a bell and leave it behind somewhere else to repopulate and start a new herd.

26 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

This poll is flawed. The latter two questions are required despite them not pertaining to people who answer "no" to the first question.

I don't think that's a flaw at all. Just vote on what you would want it to be like if it did get added, even though you don't want it to get added.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Thinking it's the player's fault for having the absolute gall to dare to engage with a season and play how they want to instead of hiding away in a place that ignores the entirety of the season.

You are dealing with summer by going to caves, you are kind of forced to do so because wildfires are impossible to manage if you want to preserve the world, quite a lot of things can burn and if you can play on a world for 500 days and each summer you spend without going to caves and tallbird nests are just one of the resources you may endanger.

How is it not the player's fault if they stay above ground? Wildfires were designed in such a way, really don't see a point in you arguing this.

I really feel like Don’t Starve Together would benefit greatly from different MODES of gameplay: everyone wanting all these resources and mobs and things to be Renewable have a legitimate reason for wanting them to be Renewable...

But at the same Exact time I think that properly taking care of your worlds, making sure resources and mobs don’t go completely extinct- All of that qualifies under Uncompromising Wilderness Survival.

And having anything be Renewable: significantly lessens that feeling.

With that said: there’s a Survival Mode, A Wilderness Mode and an Endless Mode.

Perhaps its time we start making those feel drastically different from one another...

I want there to be ranching mechanics instead of a focus on hunts. Shipwrecked has dodos and id like something similar but with more animal needs you need to satisfy as dodo breeding is too simple. Even a new character who specializes in ranching would be better than nothing.

Archived