Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

I am remaining hopeful. The devs earned my trust and then some so I am going to give it to them. I do wish they were a bit more transparent. The information we have now is very vague and it's causing people to jump to conclusions. I know we as consumers don't really get to know the business side of these things, but I do feel like a little clarity would calm some nerves...

11 minutes ago, LadyD said:

After all this time that I been hanging around here with these people. I feel they earned a little trust and faith from me you know? 

So I am going to wait and see how things go forward. 

can you find a developer or worker that, with full and entire honestly swear that "Any data collected in any of their games including Don't Starve Together's data collection is not being sold or in any other way mishandled for corporate gain." for clarity for us?

1 hour ago, krtoween said:

Well my point didn't come across I guess. That's cause you have a certain kind of privilege,that you get to for instance choose where you buy your clothes and make sure they don't go towards workers who are underpaid. Most people (in my country) don't have the money for that since fast fashion is the cheapest and most distributed. So for a lot of things that you could avoid people just aren't educated,don't care to be,or are in a poor country that doesn't provide basic things for their users and favors Apple for example as the only option to get a smartphone through a 24 month payment maybe if you can't afford to buy a phone from another company for instant pay. That's just an example of how companies exploit us and how we don't get to choose all the time if our money goes to good things. Now of course we choose to play or not to play this game but I don't think we should shame people for maybe the only thing that is helping them thrive through this pandemic , family issues or maybe the friends they made in this game and they only current social outlet. Like who knows what people's situations are and not everything is black and white, and I hope our money still goes to Klei because they are the indie company I love and wanna suport...

that is presumptuous and gross. i will skip meals, not buy things i desire for literal months or years, abstain from amazing deals and overall work with less things i could have so that i can reduce down on non-crucial purchases and can choose to have more conscientious purchase options. i have not owned a _new_ computer since 2001, i wear my clothes thin, buy charity shops first, take family/friend donations of old clothes, mend, sew and alter my own things whenever possible, make repairs whenever i can and pay for repairs whenever i cannot and i only moved up to my new phone(second-hand, btw) because my old phone's code was only good for exactly 20 years and december of this year is where the cut-off date for the internal calendar was(i was served well these last 10.4 years. RIP old burner phone with the cool keypad) and i do not do most of the nice little things for myself that many others take for granted. i understand there are people with less(the fact that i can buy things without intrinsic immediate value at all is proof of that) and i do not begrudge them for making hard choices. i have made hard choices too BUT when you are so willing to excuse your choice for bad behavior that you will conflate an elective video-game with life necessities and use that categorization as an excuse to tell others they are only being moral out of privilege you not speaking on behalf of those who have so little and instead you are soiling the waters of discourse and making yourself look like a greasy shill to protect your ego.

tldr? a non-choice like buying a nessisary thing or possibly becoming homeless is not the same as being unwilling to give money to a videogame developer because they are partially owned by a legitimately terrible company. bad faith argument is bad faith

49 minutes ago, Mrbeepveep said:

EA is better for now ? Why you did this you sold your company to a company who only like money and steal data they only help you so you let them buy your company if you didn't did this I wouldn't have refund my game good job Klei good job you disappointed me

EA is still on their early title Shank. They've juggled with major conglomerates before.

13 minutes ago, Well-met said:

deep.

you're a product the moment you installed steam. apart from the theatrics this means nothing at all.

I am talking about your personal data a lot of digital companies (especially Tencent) sell personal information to make a quick buck while damaging your privacy

You are a consumer in Steam because you choose who gets your money and who doesn't, you are in control of who makes money and who doesn't you are not a product. When companies sell your data for profit you have no say you are a product not a consumer.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I am remaining hopeful. The devs earned my trust and then some so I am going to give it to them. I do wish they were a bit more transparent. The information we have now is very vague and it's causing people to jump to conclusions. I know we as consumers don't really get to know the business side of these things, but I do feel like a little clarity would calm some nerves...

Well I mean.. you got that chef Warly skin you wanted for forever & that awesome butcher rack to go with it.. they certainly do deserve your trust.

I’m holding out hope for a major announcement here soon, like a roadmap plan of things they are going to do after Year of the Beefalo- I’m not exactly sure what I’m expecting/wanting... but I definitive announcements of things they plan to, and will DEFINITELY be doing at some point: No matter how many years it takes to actually happen.

Right now I really need announcements that excite me and want me to tell all my friends about what the future of DS/DST holds.. But Klei will make those announcements when they’re ready I suppose.

Now to clarify: I want to know the things they ARE Going to do.. not the things Roadmap and then don’t do- I want concrete & accurate information I can trust, and hopefully juicy stuff that will help me get my friends to buy this game.

Things like “Were looking into & will be doing Cross-Platform play sometime in the future, but we don’t know when that will be available just yet, just be prepared for it and tell all your friends who play on a different console!” 

No hard Release dates or ETA for anything- but rather things I can expect for the foreseeable future of the game, hopefully things that can help me to convince more of my friends to buy the game.

While I have no strong feeling good or bad for Tencent, I do appreciate Klei & the Dont Starve franchise.. can someone PM me when/if such announcements are to be made so that I do not miss them? It would be much appreciated, thanks :) 

I only hope that this partnership provides a positive outcome for Klei & the things they do.

Please no. Tencent company is a garbage. It has a terrible reputation among Chinese players. 99% of us hate Tencent. (Yeah I'm a Chinese I knew what Tencent has done to us.) They ruined countless games, for they only care about money. As for players' interest and feelings? They never care. If this is inevitable, it is definitely the worst news of the year.

8 minutes ago, gaymime said:

that is presumptuous and gross. i will skip meals, not buy things i desire for literal months or years, abstain from amazing deals and overall work with less things i could have so that i can reduce down on non-crucial purchases and can choose to have more conscientious purchase options. i have not owned a _new_ computer since 2001, i wear my clothes thin, buy charity shops first, take family/friend donations of old clothes, mend, sew and alter my own things whenever possible, make repairs whenever i can and pay for repairs whenever i cannot and i only moved up to my new phone(second-hand, btw) because my old phone's code was only good for exactly 20 years and december of this year is where the cut-off date for the internal calendar was(i was served well these last 10.4 years. RIP old burner phone with the cool keypad) and i do not do most of the nice little things for myself that many others take for granted. i understand there are people with less(the fact that i can buy things without intrinsic immediate value at all is proof of that) and i do not begrudge them for making hard choices. i have made hard choices too BUT when you are so willing to excuse your choice for bad behavior that you will conflate an elective video-game with life necessities and use that categorization as an excuse to tell others they are only being moral out of privilege you not speaking on behalf of those who have so little and instead you are soiling the waters of discourse and making yourself look like a greasy shill to protect your ego.

tldr? a non-choice like buying a nessisary thing or possibly becoming homeless is not the same as being unwilling to give money to a videogame developer because they are partially owned by a legitimately terrible company. bad faith argument is bad faith

I literally am not here to compete over who sacrificed more, I have done a lot of sacrifices as well but I am literally privileged enough to make those sacrifices. Like I said previously,we choose to do those things and we have the right to do them but don't expect the same out of people who literally have the bare minimum. You choose to skip meals. Some people don't choose. You don't know everyone's situation and not everyone can make the same sacrifice you can or has the will or is in a stable mental space currently to do so. It's great that you do all those things but if you follow any zero waste youtubers* on the platform you will see they don't encourage that for everyone and are aware of their privilege. And I'm not really interested in how many phones you've changed,computers used through out the years. It literally has nothing to do with the subject. Also some of the things like getting a new pc are a necessity because people have jobs that require them (like graphic design for instance) and families that need feeding and they can't be picky over everything. I am not excusing anyone's choice we live in a capitalistic society and you just wanna fight and compare our grievances.

20 minutes ago, Well-met said:

deep.

you're a product the moment you installed steam. apart from the theatrics this means nothing at all.

Not only Whataboutism, that Steam is american and not chinese but yes -let's all be happy for Klei doing what I'm now trying to write off Steam for.

What is your angle on this anyway? What's the point being happy or defending any of this, on a personal level. Your replies read as if it's your tencent money on the line.

So how your gonna be good when selling to a company that care about money well sometimes when you sell your company and they made it worse and your game dead you probably going bankrupt

Well I still Have hope on the outside what about the inside disappointed and heartbroken

1 minute ago, krtoween said:

I literally am not here to compete over who sacrificed more, I have done a lot of sacrifices as well but I am literally privileged enough to make those sacrifices. Like I said previously,we choose to do those things and we have the right to do them but don't expect the same out of people who literally have the bare minimum. You choose to skip meals. Some people don't choose. You don't know everyone's situation and not everyone can make the same sacrifice you can or has the will or is in a stable mental space currently to do so. It's great that you do all those things but if you follow any zero waste youtube on the platform you will see they don't encourage that for everyone and are aware of their privilege. And I'm not really interested in how many phones you've changed,computers used through out the years. It literally has nothing to do with the subject. Also some of the things like getting a new pc are a necessity because people have jobs that require them (like graphic design for instance) and families that need feeding and they can't be picky over everything. I am not excusing anyone's choice we live in a capitalistic society and you just wanna fight and compare our grievances.

this isn't about who sacrifices more. this is about your claim that THIS shareholders deal on a videogame is equivocal to retroactively endorsing humans rights violations and this is about the dishonesty of conflating needs and wants and this is about people complaining that they did not agree to this not being inherently bad. you said that some people have no choices but that isn't technically true in this case. this game is not a necessary evil or a mandatory aspect of life. this is an elective choice and a money-sink and the fact that a lot of people are not going to be sinking money into it anymore is NOT them disallowing others to keep doing it and is NOT them being hypocritical. also i was literally a for-hire pixel artist for indie games before the current state of the world and still make commissioned art to this day. your example is absolute rubbish and is ignorant of the industry

You don't know everyone's situation

and yet you did when you made your original accusation of privilege

2 minutes ago, gaymime said:

and yet you did when you made your original accusation of privilege

Well no,I said you saying you don't not use the things I mentioned is privilege,cause it is, some people have no choice in using Google per say for work. But yeah that's all

(I'm not saying you are privileged in life, I am saying it is a privilege to avoid certain things thus making you privileged for some things in life,not all of course)

7 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

What is your angle on this anyway? What's the point being happy or defending any of this, on a personal level. Your replies read as if it's your tencent money on the line.

because 1. klei has expressed how much this partnership will help them out and they wouldn't have done it if it was a bad deal

2. i'm pretty sure dont starve's chinese playerbase overshadows everyone else by a massive margin so they're obviously the target audience by now and we are not

3. for now this changes virtually nothing about one liking klei or one playing their games

once I get bored with DST i'll jump ship like many people will but not until then

either way morals and ethics aren't paying the bills. this is just computers and videogames after all.

I do not trust Chinese companies in general because of heavy government censorship and overreach, including multiple breaches of privacy. It’s extremely scary.

Klei says Tencent respects their ability to create and distribute as they please, but these companies lie constantly. It’s a well-known fact you cannot trust a single word published by any large Chinese company simply because they will do whatever their oppressive government tells them to. If you don’t, you will be replaced, and by replaced, I mean disappear from existence until someone finds your corpse in a bag floating down a river a few months later.

They have no respect for their own citizens and no respect for outside individuals either.

Does the Blizzard Hong Kong incident ring any bells? Tencent owns a large portion of the stocks. I am not saying Klei would cave to the pressure like that piece of crap company, but you can never be sure.

I’m kinda scared to play anymore. I honestly might uninstall the game and wait a few months to see what people say happens. :/

Klei, how could you do this. Now evil commie China will know that i am a wormwood main. Next time why don't you sell your data to a proud American company like Google who sells our data to the CIA, because then our most sensitive data wouldn't be going to torturers, but to fighting communism.

Well...to be honest,players in China also concerns about this. As Tencent do  have "imitate" some famous game abroad with recharging experience,for example-Arena Of Valor/王者荣耀. (even if these games are famous in China

However,it dosen't mean the whole Tencent is "bad"-they do also have a lot of creative staffs,as they are really a big Internet company.

So..no judgement - ▽-+ until the day that everything shows up

8 hours ago, BezKa said:

I read the post again and I just can't understand why. Aren't there better ways to get money than basically selling an entire company to someone?

Yes, selling it to the Chinese Communist Party because don't worry Mr. Xi "Uyghur 'fun' camp" Jinping will totally not demand the removal of all text entry  fields in the game so you can't write "Whinny The Pooh" Much less remove the companies agency much like the government is removing the testicles of minorities.

Archived