Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

I know there's a certain sense of letting everyone vent and wait for the dust to settle, but the first test is how Klei now responds to the community from almost 15 pages of disappointment.

If it's with silence then there's the first proof things have already changed for the worse. I would really appreciate more information on the contract terms and statements from ground level staff. I would particularly like to know how the partnership with a company who's idea of a good product is New Home (sorry. not sorry... it doesn't look the greatest even if you ignore the fact mobile gaming died years ago).is actually going to work 1 year, 2 years , 5 years from now. I just hope this isn't the point we all look back and say, "I wish they'd stopped development here".

It it owed to us? Hell no, I know I'm a customer... I've enjoyed the game since beta and got a good deal our of my purchase. If this is the start of the end then fine. Should a game (and let's face it, a company) that has only succeeded from an amazing community and on the back of extremely dedicated fans consider having have their points addressed the right thing to do? Yeah, I kinda think so. It's also good business sense.

I'm not saying this will destroy DST and affect the quality of future releases, I'm simply saying there's more chance of this now than before and I speak from experience of two small companies that were bought out. I'd hardly say this has a good track record in the game development space either with particularly unique, risk taking or innovative studios (Bullfrog, Bioware, Maxis, Westwood, Ensemble, Rare, Lionhead to name but a few). Time will tell but it's perfectly legitimate to feel one way or the other on the topic so I hope this doesn't descend into heated arguments. Oh, or censorship... for the love of god don't do that; that would be the death of Klei.

Your community management team are going to be earning their salary this week, poor buggers.I hope all you at Klei are doing well and you have my (and probably more than a few other) wishes that all is actually, as it is being made out to be.

Klei I will go back in time to stop this from happening

Well klei if you won't listen to us and still listen to tencent your company will go downward like an airplane crashes down

Well all that youtuber who play your game will prob stop playing and start finding other game

This is my first time posting to this forum.
I'm Japanese, so I don't have "Sinophobia".
There is an academic study that humans living just downstream of a huge dam are not afraid of the dam breaking.
My psyche may be in such a situation.
So my feelings for Tencent are neutral, and I don't have the opinion that "China makes everything worse."

What I'm worried about is that Tencent is also Epic's largest shareholder.
Could Klei games be forced to sell exclusively at the Epic store in the future?
Or is this a worry I don't have to do?
I hate the commercial strategy of exclusive sales, which inconveniences consumers, so once sold exclusively by Epic, I will never be able to buy Klei games again.
So, I'm worried about it.

By the way, I have enjoyed ONI for over 500 hours.
Thank you very much for the best game Klei.

1 minute ago, Slagger said:

What kind of data collection are we talking about? Also what spyware are you talking about? Isn't illegal in steam terms?

I was joking about it first time but now I'm scared.

didnt they explicitly say there was no change to the data collection policy? where are you getting spyware from? 

1 hour ago, taako bell said:

didnt they explicitly say there was no change to the data collection policy? where are you getting spyware from? 

I don't have an idea. I just saw it on older comments XD

13 hours ago, Grim the said:

They better maintain control.

I don’t think majority share means what you think it means. 

I don’t know what tencent has actually produced but it certainly isn’t clash of clans. That was made by supercell who sold to tencent after their successful game. The only reason was that the owners of supercell liked to become billionaires. 

goodbye Klei. Was nice while it lasted. Shame about another good studio being gobbled up by ungoliant. 

13 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

We're still going to be managing all the IP that Klei creates. If anything, Tencent has shown real respect to us and consistently deferred to us in what and how to present our work, which is one of the reasons we chose them as our partner.

You said majority shareholder. That’s not a partner, that’s an owner. They own you. They can change the rules whenever they like. 

1 minute ago, taako bell said:

but the game and creative direction itself is probably going to be fine.

If you're a fan of the last couple of years and consider it fine then you're in good hands.
I however don't see what you mean with not blaming Klei. What you gave was like a variation of the Nuremberg defence at best, and then it's assuming their hands were tied in the first place? On a personal hypothesis I sense Klei willingly seeking this.

1 hour ago, Cheeto-Jesus said:

Y'all happen to also know that Tencent's been a shareholder before this event too right?

This strikes me a little bit as Emperor's new clothes with a gaslighting twist. Saying that Tencent has played a subtle part all along and that Klei's course isn't going to change means nothing to what is essentially a discussion revolving a corpse. The "golden goose" at the very least rotted on me and friends years ago, I'm around to enjoy people seeing the emperor is naked but it isn't much of a plot twist outside of people's reaction. Also sure you can say that the corpse has always been smelling like that if you got close enough, but, it won't give the emperor his clothes back.

At the end of the day the game will presumably grow in success either way. Carrion larvae is plenty. Honestly speaking of though... What I do find most intriguing is how minecraft went through a milk-toast similar scenario and is now seeing an actual resurgence. Not the most realized version of itself and how much it really impacted that newfound popularity is questionable but still it's been leaping again. I wonder what's to come from that and it's soon to crackdown microsoft accounts.

You know what I like about banks - and this is sort of what tencent is - a bank for arts and entertainment agencies - is that banks are usually quiet if they actually prize what makes their client's businesses successful to begin with.

Clearly this wasn't a hostile takeover. At worst, a sellout.

The basis here being that unlike a bank, the corporation has an interest in keeping their investment viable ( but not necessarily relevant per se ).

And this is where the glaringly obvious issue of creative control vs financial control plays out.

A company can maintain creative control but lack the finances to implement whatever it is they're working on due to financial disregard.

This also draws ire because of the censorship issue. And it's not a censorship of Klei's intellectual property ( and implicitly their creative control ) - its about ours. We like to express our selves here, not the least of which includes modding the games, streaming, and fan art. This brings about all the vagueness of what is and is not positively productive in moving more sales and interest of the products and where, if any, censorship takes hold and what kind of backlash this might mean for fans of the games vs the will of the wallet.

So, I can see how this is a giant burning red flag for some of us.

I can also see how this bankrolling might be benign and rooted more so in the realm of passive investment. Just look at tencent's portfolio.

So Klei needs a cushion? This always happens with businesses that are holding on after 10 years, you get weird things happening with expenses and circumstances. It's kind of rare that a gaming studio holds to employees or IP for longer than a single franchise...

That cushion just happens to be made in China. Or, if you look at Tencent's portfolio, its made by artists supporting artists all over the world. In this regard, this is more like insurance banking.

10 hours ago, Beehawk said:

I don't get the amount of people who thinks this is super awful. They're not selling out or making a data-collecting agreement or some ****. That's not how any of this works.

Tencent literally cannot do anything to Klei without they themselves agreeing with it.

You don’t seem to understand what “majority stake” means. 
It means Tencent owns them. Tencent owns them. Whatever they have promised they can now change at any time at will. 

when you acquire a dog you promise to love it and go out with it every day. But maybe some day you decide to shoot it in the back yard and make sausages out of it, that’s perfectly fine because you own the dog and it can’t hold you to your promises. 

Archived