Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

44 minutes ago, Wehmut said:

Very bad decision imho. I dont like Tencent at all. The chinese suppress minorities and dont allow free speech. They monitor their citizen and every company has to cooperate with the chinese authorities. So, will our email-adresses we gave you be shared with Tencent? I would like to point out that this would be a violation to privacy protection.

I also think its a big misfit as your games are wonderfull in that way, that they are complex. No other game company does that sort of complex game mechanics - thats why I love ONI. The games Tencent supports are from other style, you could say they are dumb or at least aimed for console or mobile audiences.

I am also sure you could get other companies throw millions on you, like Microsoft or other publishers.

So, can`t see why you did it.

You have been my favorite game company - since today. Sorry.

Let me know when you also stop using discord and reddit, cuz they got 200m euro last year from tencent too. Also, guess what, apple uses the same minorities you cry about, paying them 10 cents per hour for the phones you use.  Tencent on the last report has more money than apple plus microsoft together. 

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/?_gl=1*1q9xfgg*_ga*YW1wLU1vdVBVZFRYWTE0TEVmZGVPaWUtdFUtTmZOSFBXYlFWRS1OdkJOTlFJamU0dzVXSV9Hby1BbHY3QXN6MnIxaTg.

Like I said: Pretty much anything you’ve played- they got a stake in..

Any game with a EPIC GAMES or Ubisoft logo on it Tencent has shares into- that means Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Rainbow Siege etc....

You guys are really blowing this way out of proportion- and I expect nothing less than quality from Klei by this move.

forums being the forums as usual. throwing a fit. i'll give it a week before everything is normal again and the cycle continues as it has before.

12 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You're givin' me a headache......

What a coincidence, you do the same for me.

EA killed all of those studios:

Visceral (Dead Space) - shut down in 2017

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2014.

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - Purchased by EA in 1995; shut down in 2001.

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - Purchased by EA in 1992; shut down in 2004.

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - Purchased by EA in 1998; shut down in 2003.

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - Purchased by EA in 2002; shut down in 2013.

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - Purchased by EA in 2008; shut down in 2009.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

I liked several of those games.

Tencent didn't kill any studio I care for at all, so EA is still by far the worst publisher in terms of my game experience.

40 minutes ago, Madliv said:

Let me know when you also stop using discord and reddit, cuz they got 200m euro last year from tencent too. Also, guess what, apple uses the same minorities you cry about, paying them 10 cents per hour for the phones you use.  Tencent on the last report has more money than apple plus microsoft together. 

There is a difference in holding some shares of a company or a majority stake as in Klei's case.

10 hours ago, Naiii said:

So we couldn't mention winnie the pooh or Taiwan at any forums and chats from now on? Do we get ban for this?

Lets try it out!

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

im curious about why people say that league of legends was ruined by tencent, serious question, because when i played (from s2 to s6 more or less) it was an unbalanced game, with pay walls because of runes, any free skin, bad servers, etc or path of exile which im kinda hyped for the last update when i didnt play the game for years (and it still looks the same since the his beta)

that tencent launches mobile phones games with microtransactions to suck the blood of adicted that doesnt mean that they will care about the artistic work of the companies that are making money for them doing what made them popular. It will be silly

pd. srly im curious about the lol status because i didnt hear anything from my friends that keep playing it

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/?_gl=1*1q9xfgg*_ga*YW1wLU1vdVBVZFRYWTE0TEVmZGVPaWUtdFUtTmZOSFBXYlFWRS1OdkJOTlFJamU0dzVXSV9Hby1BbHY3QXN6MnIxaTg.

Like I said: Pretty much anything you’ve played- they got a stake in..

Any game with a EPIC GAMES or Ubisoft logo on it Tencent has shares into- that means Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Rainbow Siege etc....

You guys are really blowing this way out of proportion- and I expect nothing less than quality from Klei by this move.

yea true there are many games that this chinese company invested in but klei was still indie.. they cared about the community and their games. now i expect it will all go down because the chinese will expect more money and profit so things will get worse for the community. 

look at siege.. less operator, no new weapons, less weapon skins, now battlepass system. you pay more for less.. it will be the same with klei after some time. 

12 hours ago, Hornete said:

image.thumb.png.b645875d7ca52c83a0168be2110dbef7.png
Did you like, even read the literal 3rd sentence in the post?

This thread has me really disappointed in a lot of people, it's one thing to not like Tencent, I completely get that and that is completely understandable. But really? To think that pay to play, extreme monetization and spyware are gonna be implemented, when its literally mentioned in the main post that Klei is retaining creative control.

I have my trust in Klei for now and wish them the best for the future. Hope everything goes well

you are very naive to assume that they will not interfere in the future. if they own the majority of the company they could change anything without worrying much about the past promises. mark my words. once they sucked dst dry they will implement anti consumer crap into the game. like keys to open chests and gambling mechanics like in cs:go or pubg.

I'm not fond of the majority stake being purchased by Tencent for obvious reasons relating to ethics and Tencent essentially being a monopoly. While I'm glad that this will hopefully provide financial backing, I'm not too sure how to put it into words that things *will* change given that Tencent owns more than 50% of the company. (I believe the stake purchased was about 60%, correct me if I'm wrong.)

18 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I really hope that [...] Klei will find a better partner and dip out of the agreement

This is a sentiment I've seen a few times in this thread, so I'd like to highlight that Klei sold a majority stake in their company. This isn't something I'd describe as a temporary arrangement.

20 hours ago, YumoS said:

Tencent is a big Chinese Corporation that is under control of the Chinese Government. These people are lunatics who commit genocide on the uyghurs and they Censor anything that doesnt fit their views and i am pretty sure they could interfere with klei and their games. Dont be surprised if they censor the chat in the game. lol

No, Tencent is not under control of the government, and censoring is not something you'd be concern about.

Tencent cares nothing but money, and has a great amount of haters in China, known as the infamous copier.

They would do anything to suppress their economic competitors.

They buy anything that threats them in monopoly, and copy anything that they can't buy, and kills the original.

Actually they could censor out some words from the governments if they want.

19 hours ago, Notecja said:

But true is that it could be worse - they could sold their soul to Epic, bethesda, EA... those can both eat studio and sell to tencent...

That's the key point - It's nothing worse if they instead sold to Epic, EA. It's all the same thing. Tencent is just something like that.

-------------------------------------------------------

A lot of people in this thread seems disappointed because it's a Chinese company.

No no no no, you totally missed the point.

Today is nightmare for Chinese people too, trust me.

It is nightmare because it's Tencent, not because it's China, nor because if anyone here is a China hater.

It is because it's Tencent! You know? It's TENCENT! THE TENCENT! The company is  so .... ugh... tencenty! You don't understand how tencenty a company can be!

13 minutes ago, DreamApart said:

No, Tencent is not under control of the government, and censoring is not something you'd be concern about.

Right. So this game Tencent made was just in jest I suppose?

20 hours ago, Well-met said:

klei is a business. they're not your friends.

if they deem a business avenue advantageous for their development then you should be glad for them.

Klei is a business being bought out by the Chinese government. Why would I be glad about this? What is this argument? Why can't I be mad about this?

9 hours ago, Atsushi Endo said:

This is my first time posting to this forum.
I'm Japanese, so I don't have "Sinophobia".
There is an academic study that humans living just downstream of a huge dam are not afraid of the dam breaking.
My psyche may be in such a situation.
So my feelings for Tencent are neutral, and I don't have the opinion that "China makes everything worse."

What I'm worried about is that Tencent is also Epic's largest shareholder.
Could Klei games be forced to sell exclusively at the Epic store in the future?
Or is this a worry I don't have to do?
I hate the commercial strategy of exclusive sales, which inconveniences consumers, so once sold exclusively by Epic, I will never be able to buy Klei games again.
So, I'm worried about it.

By the way, I have enjoyed ONI for over 500 hours.
Thank you very much for the best game Klei.

Tencent is known for putting spyware in the games they snatch

did you know that the Chinese Communist Party owns a portion of Tencent? The same CCP that holds Uighur Muslim concentration camps?

we are not "sinophobic" we are morally against funding literal genocide

Archived