What Do You Think About Clientside Cheats

20 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if people dont want to make an effort to play a game is their problem, i just hope they dont have that actitud with other things in their life but in a videogame, that also doesnt affect your world, there is nothing to mind

just play your game and ignore what others do

I haven’t ran across any mods on the console version of DST while playing with other players (although I’m sure they exist)

And you are correct- some people don’t want to play games the way they’re intended and they instead resort to cheats, I will never understand why people buy or play the games at all if they’re just going to cheat and not actually play them?

Long Rant in Spoiler:

Spoiler

Examples being people playing State of Decay 2 with modded guns that one shot kill everything.

People in GTA Online modding themselves billions of dollars.

I don’t know about PC but these are things that are actually ILLEGAL on Xbox & against their Terms of Use, people can be fined and go to Jail for this but.. they do it anyway.

It works differently for KLEI and DS/DST because they actually approve of Mod use, But I also firmly believe having Mods are the same reason the PC version doesn’t have Achievements.

I don’t know why people want to suck all the fun out of the games intended method of play- but I guess as long as what they do isn’t hurting or impacting your own gameplay: I can careless what other players do.

But if someone joins your game and one shot kills something you been fighting for a good 45 minutes... you get very angry because what they’re doing is also ruining your own gameplay fun.

Does anyone know if there are Mods in DST on Xbox? (The unapproved game ruining kind like the 1 shot kill guns of SoD 2 or billion dollar hacks of GTA) If there are: Can someone please tell me how to identify these mods so I can report them to Klei?

(Apex Legends has a Report button for players you suspect of using illegitimate ways of playing the game..)

I haven’t seen any in DST YET- But it’s something I’d like to be able to report if such a worse case scenario were to ever happen

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Does anyone know if there are Mods in DST on Xbox? (The unapproved game ruining kind like the 1 shot kill guns of SoD 2 or billion dollar hacks of GTA) If there are: Can someone please tell me how to identify these mods so I can report them to Klei?

(Apex Legends has a Report button for players you suspect of using illegitimate ways of playing the game..)

I haven’t seen any in DST YET- But it’s something I’d like to be able to report if such a worse case scenario were to ever happen

I dont know of anyone who has been able to mod DST on consoles. But is definetly is possible.

The "game ruining" kind like one shotting bosses though is pretty much impossible to do as a client, the closest weve really gotten to game breaking was that bug where you could craft character exclusive items as another character, or the bug where a client could crash the entire server, that bug was fixed quickly though so dont worry about that haha.

Klei probably wouldnt take any reports seriously, because 1. it's not their job to do so and 2. it's not a competitive game like how Apex Legends is.

The best you can do is just report the game breaking bug/exploit and move on with your life.

While I do concur exploits of any type should be rooted out from DST as a principle of healthy gaming, your mentioned mods, OP, aren't really "game-breaking" as they may appear at a first glance (subjective assessment).

I personally don't get why someone would use Action Queue because I like every action in DS/T, including menial ones, being part of the game experience - yet if people desire to look at an automatic sequence of events and still consider/call it gaming, that's their prerogative. Would they be more efficient than vanilla? Yes, but this is not a contest, not a competitive game - so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Craft Pot and Farm Plant Needs, while bypassing in-game mandatory gear necessary for such information to be known, they ultimately have a teaching role and with time players won't even need such mods anymore.

Geometric Placement and Snapping Tills I honestly don't know why aren't game features by now - in an ideal game environment we should be provided by KLei with precise tools for nice aesthetic base arrangements; yes, that would be in principle against the Survival aspect, but much in-tune with its Sandbox facet. Also let's be honest here: late-game is mainly about base-building and shaping the world to one's will.

As for Nightvision for Free (client side), frankly I see its use only for advanced efficient players with "flexible morality". If you don't master DST mechanics and aren't fairly knowledgeable, even with that mod on you'll still be nixed by a myriad of threats. And is not like there isn't a simple 1-line console command that would give you night vision on every server to begin with..

In the end I support the idea people should play their game however they want to. Once more: DST isn't a competitive game, but a pretty lax "chose your objective" type aside basic survival. And is KLei's responsibility to take care of their game ("healthy gaming") however they desire - if they consider console commands and such above-mentioned mods "fair game" on personal and public servers alike, oh well, is their choice and right to do so.

The only one that really bugs me is that mod that let's people see the entire map by pressing f8 which shall remain unnamed. Why do the ruins if the other guy can see the entire caves when he enters that mod in particular gives a huge advantage.

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

While I do concur exploits of any type should be rooted out from DST as a principle of healthy gaming, your mentioned mods, OP, aren't really "game-breaking" as they may appear at a first glance (subjective assessment).

I personally don't get why someone would use Action Queue because I like every action in DS/T, including menial ones, being part of the game experience - yet if people desire to look at an automatic sequence of events and still consider/call it gaming, that's their prerogative. Would they be more efficient than vanilla? Yes, but this is not a contest, not a competitive game - so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Craft Pot and Farm Plant Needs, while bypassing in-game mandatory gear necessary for such information to be known, they ultimately have a teaching role and with time players won't even need such mods anymore.

Geometric Placement and Snapping Tills I honestly don't know why aren't game features by now - in an ideal game environment we should be provided by KLei with precise tools for nice aesthetic base arrangements; yes, that would be in principle against the Survival aspect, but much in-tune with its Sandbox facet. Also let's be honest here: late-game is mainly about base-building and shaping the world to one's will.

As for Nightvision for Free (client side), frankly I see its use only for advanced efficient players with "flexible morality". If you don't master DST mechanics and aren't fairly knowledgeable, even with that mod on you'll still be nixed by a myriad of threats. And is not like there's not a 1-line simple console command that would give you night vision on every server to begin with..

In the end I support the idea people should play their game however they want to. Once more: DST isn't a competitive game, but a pretty lax "chose your objective" type aside basic survival. And is KLei's responsibility to take care of their game ("healthy gaming") however they desire - if they consider console commands and such above-mentioned mods "fair game" on personal and public servers alike, oh well, is their choice and right to do so.

To be fair the night vision mod does give a bigger unfair advantage not being talked about it gives you the ability to do specific tasks without a light source sure it's not practical and slower overall but it's still there. But again my gripe is only with the mod that reveals the entire map.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:18 PM, Slagger said:
  • Farm Plant Needs This mod make you being able to viewing plant needs without any item. (Edit: I'm not sure it's that mod which I was talking about)

all clients require this.

Personally, if you can do it in a public server, it's not cheating

On 1/12/2021 at 12:25 PM, W0l0l0 said:

You raise a valid issue. I would propose that Klei add limitations to what mods can do and checks but people will find ways to bypass them, not to mention it would take a lot of work to even be able to properly limit what people can do.

all klei needs to do is add a setting to a server to enable/disable certain mods for client

14 minutes ago, Seero said:

all clients require this.

all klei needs to do is add a setting to a server to enable/disable certain mods for client

If that happens then there'll simply be a mod that comes out that prevents your other mods from getting disabled because of a servers settings.

Personally, I dont think Klei should do anything like limiting client mods or the such to solve these issues.

Basically I would say more "cheaty" is farming tutorial from there + that little docs file with plants auto-nutrients pairings than mod showing the plants needs. Or minimap, but I dont have problem with people who use minimaps or other client-side mods.

(checks entire thread carefully)

PHEW.  None of the mods that I use regularly were named, or even alluded to.  We're good.

(not that _I_ think any of the mods I use are definitely-cheaty, and the ones that I DO think are that way are the ones I would never use except perhaps once as a joke, but, ya know...other people might think differently.)

Spoiler

The closest thing to one of these I use sometimes is the "Charlie:  Stranger New Powers" mod, which gives you nightvision....but not for free.  Turning into the shadow creature saps your sanity, and the one time I tried this on a Lights-Out world, well...

shadowonshadowaction.thumb.png.f127d2c0aef1c678a7d238f54cb23e35.png

...let's just say things could've gone better.

Anyway, nothing to see here, no nervous mod-users wondering if they're being called a cheater here, no, certainly not!  Show's over, move along...

...Notorious

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

If that happens then there'll simply be a mod that comes out that prevents your other mods from getting disabled because of a servers settings.

our knowledge differences in coding shows, I have none

Who cares? Honestly? There is such a purist community for this game it's so weird. Mods in many other games are encouraged and respected, but it seems like mods are just generally frowned upon in the core community of DS/DST. If someone wants to use action queue then let them. If someone wants night vision then let them. It does not affect your experience whatsoever. If you're jealous of the ability they have, then that's something wrong with you. Unless you are directly competing with someone using "cheats", then there is no real issue here. It's really weird to see that some people are advocating for the restrictions of certain kinds of client side mods. Although I suppose there would be nothing wrong with adding a server option that disables mods altogether--client or otherwise.

33 minutes ago, Souper said:

Who cares? Honestly? There is such a purist community for this game it's so weird. Mods in many other games are encouraged and respected, but it seems like mods are just generally frowned upon in the core community of DS/DST. If someone wants to use action queue then let them. If someone wants night vision then let them. It does not affect your experience whatsoever. If you're jealous of the ability they have, then that's something wrong with you. Unless you are directly competing with someone using "cheats", then there is no real issue here. It's really weird to see that some people are advocating for the restrictions of certain kinds of client side mods. Although I suppose there would be nothing wrong with adding a server option that disables mods altogether--client or otherwise.

maybe i am just old but in other gaming communities(barring the sims) mods and cheats are usually treated with derision and scorn. it is actually a lot more rare to have this many people not openly and contemptuously spitting on and trying to force out mod users

But isn’t what they do impacting you as well? Like let’s just pretend there’s some mod that lets players use regular spears but with the damage of the best weapon in the game.. better yet 2 or 3 hits can slay any boss in the game.

Now I’m not sure if such a mod exists- but this is just my example of how I can be in a heated battle with X boss.. then some mod user who hates playing legit shows up and 2 hits later Boom boss dead GG well played.

If it’s something that doesn’t effect you, then you shouldn’t care

Theres still Wolfgang who deals 2x damage with faster movement speed and he isn’t a mod.. there’s still Wendy and Abigail who single handed my destroy an entire season worth of Frog Rain and that’s not a mod either.. 

Willow who never has to actually fight Shadow Creatures because her protector does it for her.

Webber’s rework or Playable Charlie may even include Permanent night vision-

In fact... Watch and observe spider mobs in DST closely- they stay in their dens all day and come out at night, I sincerely hope Webber’s Refresh flips it so he can only sleep during day and has to be more productive at dusk/night and can’t sleep.

Anyway my point here is that mods like Permanent night vision has an extremely high probability of being officially added to the game as a character perk- And if that happens.... will people STILL have a problem with the Mod?

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But isn’t what they do impacting you as well? Like let’s just pretend there’s some mod that lets players use regular spears but with the damage of the best weapon in the game.. better yet 2 or 3 hits can slay any boss in the game.

Now I’m not sure if such a mod exists- but this is just my example of how I can be in a heated battle with X boss.. then some mod user who hates playing legit shows up and 2 hits later Boom boss dead GG well played.

If it’s something that doesn’t effect you, then you shouldn’t care

Theres still Wolfgang who deals 2x damage with faster movement speed and he isn’t a mod.. there’s still Wendy and Abigail who single handed my destroy an entire season worth of Frog Rain and that’s not a mod either.. 

Willow who never has to actually fight Shadow Creatures because her protector does it for her.

Webber’s rework or Playable Charlie may even include Permanent night vision-

In fact... Watch and observe spider mobs in DST closely- they stay in their dens all day and come out at night, I sincerely hope Webber’s Refresh flips it so he can only sleep during day and has to be more productive at dusk/night and can’t sleep.

Anyway my point here is that mods like Permanent night vision has an extremely high probability of being officially added to the game as a character perk- And if that happens.... will people STILL have a problem with the Mod?

that is decidedly outside of what most client mods are capable of doing and of the ones that could they still need to be allowed by the server host

4 hours ago, Souper said:

I care because succeeding or failing in the game is a team effort. It's not like I can just ignore the things they build or grow. The nature of the game means building a base and pooling resources. I can't tell what is legit or not. Most other games vanilla is default, you have to go out of your way to play modded with other people.

If someone knows were everything is, what is the point of exploring? If someone is just going to produce 50+ giant vegetables, why bother with any other food sources? What challenge is left? It's just going through the motions. If someone is cheating to get around the effort, why am I even bothering?

30 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

I care because succeeding or failing in the game is a team effort. It's not like I can just ignore the things they build or grow. The nature of the game means building a base and pooling resources. I can't tell what is legit or not. Most other games vanilla is default, you have to go out of your way to play modded with other people.

If someone knows were everything is, what is the point of exploring? If someone is just going to produce 50+ giant vegetables, why bother with any other food sources? What challenge is left? It's just going through the motions. If someone is cheating to get around the effort, why am I even bothering?

Exactly. I don't know why these people are saying that it doesn't affect me. How on Earth does my teammate instantly knowing where the ruins are, being able to evade the dangers because they have fullbright, and taking all the loot for themselves not affect me? How does my teammate wanting to regen the world as soon as they join because they looked at the entire map and it doesn't have a set piece they want not affect me? The only way their cheating doesn't affect me is if they're not cheating on the same server I am, in which case I really don't care. This thread isn't about cheating, this thread is about clientside cheating. 

14 hours ago, Seero said:

This attitude bugs me because in my experience, people who are fine using cheats that "they can do in a public server" will ONLY use it while playing on pubs with other people, while they'll refrain from using their night vision and map reveal and such when playing on private servers where they have to be epic and legit or whatever. And I really feel like it should be the opposite, cheat as much as you want in private but don't give yourself a huge advantage when playing with other people who don't even know 99% of the time.

From my limited observations of Klei public servers, super DST client-side mod users tend to invest the most time and effort into worlds in general. As long as they build interesting things and are having fun, I don't mind at all. Especially since I do not have that level of skill & dedication even if I got those mods myself. 

Just let others have fun imho. :wilson_love: Klei public survival worlds will reset in time anyways, does it really matter?

image.png.e9ecc9a268c502a8d6b17dfa9150e1e4.png

9 hours ago, Souper said:

Having been part of many other videogame communities, I would argue the way many users like you behave so relaxed toward cheating (the consensus is cheating is basically seen as the worst inexcusable sin in any online game) is actually you people standing out. It's not about purism at all; the players you are calling out are simply wishing that everyone be equals in terms of mechanics and abilities. DS is the only community I've seen that has no qualms about cheating and I've been videogaming for about 16 years now. To me, you are the "really weird one".

Mods are not frowned upon, indeed they are the very life of a community playerbase. However, mods in other videogames never affect gameplay unless the game is hosted straight from the user's computer. DST is no exception. If you want gameplay mods on your own server, nobody is stopping you and nobody will complain about it. If people dislike it they will not join your server and that's the end of it. Things are different when the server in question is hosted by the game developer themselves. They are showcasing the game at its vanilla state and how they meant it to be played. If you have a mod that gives you clear advantages over your fellow players in such a server (the default gameplay), then that's where things become questionable.

Console players often despair that they do not have mods, but I would rather say they are blessed in the guarantee that everyone plays fair and is at the same odds.

With no offense intended, sometimes it is exceedingly obvious many of the posters here are maintaining their first online videogame experience or indeed even their first internet forum. Things just work differently out there, for instance something as simple as expecting all players to have the same abilities and fairness between themselves when they are presented a challenge.

Also, "it's not competitive" "it's just AI", these overused excuses have never been relevant. Even in cooperative games, players are subconsciously fighting eachother for ressources and items. Either way, it's not fun knowing you provide extra effort and overcome extra challenge you know others do not have to, unless your character or class designs it that way. Balance ensures extra abilities are compensated by extra downsides -when done properly- (this is why character balance is so important)

I'm not really bothered by it that much because If I'm playing by myself I know I won't use them personally. Whenever I play on public servers people are usually using mods like campfire respawn and custom characters anyways, so these wouldn't really make or break much in that department; heck, most pub servers don't even last until winter anyways.

Archived